6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by BudManPinFan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Slayers_wallpapers_39.jpg
    Slayer-kopia.jpg
    TomArayaButton.png
    SamTheShamPinball.png
    robert plant.jpg
    old-man-pink-guitar-corbis-660-80.jpg
    Ariana-Grande-Space Girl.jpg
    billhaley.JPG
    features.jpg
    zz-top_pinball.jpg
    ZZ_SIDEART.PNG
    zz-top-1.jpg
    Fun_325.jpg
    MI0003591928.jpg
    zz-top-art.jpg
    zz top azz.jpg

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

No more music pins! My God, how many are there now?
    And no more movie pins either.
    Can't Stern do something creative? Look at all the bizarre titles Williams/Bally put out that had nothing to do with either music or movies.
    I know.. it's all about money.. but man, I miss the creative titles of old!
    We've got ES, WW.. what about TSUNAMI!!

Can I give you a thumbs up and thumbs down at the same time lol?? Love the Tsunami idea but still love music pins.

As long as anything is fun I'll play it. I hear Dracula is a lot of fun but I just can't bring myself to invest much time in playing it. I find it depressing to look at.

#52 6 years ago

I jus saw zz top in concert. Not only did the lip syncing let me down, but the guitar syncing was a total buzz kill.
    If youre guna take my money and tour, at least play your own f'n guitar.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from deeznuts:

rush = music about science!

Anybody remember when Rush still wrote songs about Sex, Drugs, and Rocknroll ?

(With Cowbell )

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

I jus saw zz top in concert. Not only did the lip syncing let me down, but the guitar syncing was a total buzz kill.
    If youre guna take my money and tour, at least play your own f'n guitar.

If that is true it dissapoints me greatly. I just saw them last year and they were definitely playing and singing. It was an awesome show.

#55 6 years ago

I saw them maybe 8 years ago and their show Rocked! Was really hopin for a round 2, but fell short. Oh well

#56 6 years ago

Rush is off my topic but I love them. I could think of many great Rush songs to do a pin with. As I said above, now that full music can be part of the pin I'm in for a lot of different music themed pins.

#57 6 years ago

+1 for a ZZ Top pinball machine

Thumbs up for that Little ole Band From Texas.
    zz-top-1.jpg

#58 6 years ago

"I aint asking for much. Just lookin' for some Tilt"

Quoted from Pinball-is-great:+1 for a ZZ Top pinball machine
    Thumbs up for that Little ole Band From Texas.

zz-top-1.jpg 17 KB

"I aint asking for much. Just lookin' for some Tilt"

#59 6 years ago

ZZ Top - Instant pinball classic!
    ZZ_SIDEART.PNG

#60 6 years ago

ZZ top should have been a Zaccaria Pin... its ZZZ logo would have been a near perfect match!

#61 6 years ago

ZZ Top is great, but they've only sold 1/4 the albums of bands like KISS, Maiden or AC/DC, so I just don't picture them being popular enough to make it onto a pin.

Maybe someone will retheme an existing pin?

#62 6 years ago

If they do a ZZ Top pin... the backglass should have a spinning guitar for Billy and a spinning bass for Dusty.

Nobody likes Afterburner?

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Nobody likes Afterburner?

Hell no.

Their synthesizer/drum machine stuff is crap.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

ZZ Top is great

Agree, ZZ Top is great - pin would be super great.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

ZZ Top is great, but they've only sold 1/4 the albums of bands like KISS, Maiden or AC/DC, so I just don't picture them being popular enough to make it onto a pin.
    Maybe someone will retheme an existing pin?

Can't argue against that but Eliminator sold over 10 million copies alone. I didn't even know an album could go beyond platinum to diamond but it apparently it can.

Quoted from vid1900:

Hell no.

Have to agree. Never liked Afterbunner too much. I can listen to Sleeping Bag but it's not in my top ten by any means. They were doing what Rush and a lot of other bands did. They tried changing with the times and experimented with different sounds. I hear their last album was like AC/DC's it went back to their roots. I don't own it though so I can't speak for it.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

I hear their last album was like AC/DC's it went back to their roots. I don't own it though so I can't speak for it.

Their last album was their best since Degüello, no doubt thanks to Rick Rubin.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

Can't argue against that but Eliminator sold over 10 million copies alone.

Usually, when too many people like an album, it is a warning sign that it sucks - really sucks.

Remember U2 together with BB King, LOL? Probably BBs biggest selling song, but OMG was that a pile of crap.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Hell no.

That's interesting. My introduction to them was in 1985; a fellow classmate handed me his Afterburner cassette... and I liked it. Of course years later, I discovered their older stuff wherein Billy's blues licks really kind of spoke to me.... "Just Got Paid", "La Grange", etc.

Saw them in 1991 on their Recycler tour. It was definitely a "show"... but we enjoyed what was there.

Every rock band of any longevity seems to do one of those experimental records... a lot of those guys had disco records

Rolling Stones -- Miss You
    KISS -- I was made for loving you
    Led Zeppelin -- Carouselambra

6 months later
    #70 6 years ago

Ok I'm reviving this thread. This morning I got into the car, and immediately pinball wizard by the Who is playing, followed by "legs" by ZZ-top. For whatever reason, I started to imagine what that theme could be like, and immediately I started to think what they're known for. Of course, the videos all feature the chopped 33 ford and the golden keys with their logo on it. Everyone tends to covet their plastic key fobs, imagine a gold ZZ keyring hanging from the ZZ top pinball?

Like every theme I talk about, I like to photoshop a quick rendering of what the pin might look like. I'm imagining either the band on the backglass, or their afterburner album cover. The sideart should be the 33 ford (much like williams corvette or Stern mustang).
    zz-top_pinball.jpg

Then I thought about features.

If you included a 33 ford toy on the playfield, you could have a subway tunnel, and the ball ejects out of the car (ala whirlwind cellar), but instead of a flasher bulb you have the headlights flash.

Create a spinner toy (ala transformers cube), but have a pair of legs

Have a fuzzy guitar that spins through the playfield (like the band often does), but only after you hit all 3 stand-up targets

Finally, the orbit shot has the 3 band members, and their arms spin and do the rotate and finger point every time the ball passes by

features.jpg

Reason this theme could sell well: It hits the classic car fans, the zz-top fans, the classic rock fans, and it would work well with rock bars (that often play ZZ-top music).

#71 6 years ago

Zz top would be a nib purchase no if ands or butts about it

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Hell no.

Are you not the same guy that was praising the new "artists" on a different thread? Claiming that the so-called talent of today far surpasses the great song writers and true musicians of the last 40 years? I'm thinking that I'll take your "expertise" with a grain of salt.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from misfitdart:

Are you not the same guy that was praising the new "artists" on a different thread?

Are you still crying that you only like 40 year old dinosaur rock?

New artists with big talent come up in the industry all the time. Just like sucky new artists come up all the time.

As decades pass, the best artists tend to still be remembered, and the gimmicky one hit wonders tend to be forgotten.

So in the little dinosaur walnut brain, it SEEMS that the old rock bands were so great - but you forget that for each AC/DC, Toy Dolls or Smashing Pumpkins kind of bands, you had 50 Black n Blue, Trixster, Firehouse, London Quireboys, Kix, Y&T - total suck ass kind of bands....

Open your ears to the lords of the new church:

#t=50

#74 6 years ago

Yes, would be a great theme.......

#75 6 years ago

I like ZZ top and all, but I would like to see pinball expand beyond its current demographic. Part of the issue is that rock as a genre has become a niche music, and I'm not sure if there exists a real band today of any music genre with a following as wide and deep as rock bands enjoyed throughout the 60's-90's... it's all highly marketed pop music dominating the charts today with throwaway themes. A sign of the times.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

ZZ Top was a great band, but their last good album was Degüello in 1979.

Don't know how I missed this thread first time around, but this is so true! And Tres Hombres (before they re-mastered it to sound like their later crap) may have been their best.

Quoted from KingNine:

I respectfully disagree. I just saw them a year ago and definitely was not lip synced.

Did you see them when they did the Super Bowl halftime show a few years back? What a joke that was.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Closest you're going to get is Getaway or BTTF (it plays Doubleback if you travel back to 1885 during Multiball)

And that is where we should leave it.

Come on people! How many more dinosaur rock star pinball machines before you look in the mirror and see a dinosaur yourself!

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Open your ears to the lords of the new church

Lords were a great band, but didn't Stiv Bators hang himself? Oh yeah, that was just a stage act. Closest they came was the video mode in TFTC.

What? He died after getting hit by a taxi cab? Too late to integrate that theme.

I hear where you are coming from vid. Let's move forward.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ok I'm reviving this thread. This morning I got into the car, and immediately pinball wizard by the Who is playing, followed by "legs" by ZZ-top. For whatever reason, I started to imagine what that theme could be like, and immediately I started to think what they're known for. Of course, the videos all feature the chopped 33 ford and the golden keys with their logo on it. Everyone tends to covet their plastic key fobs, imagine a gold ZZ keyring hanging from the ZZ top pinball?

Thanks for reviving my thread. Don't worry about all the people saying how terrible of an idea it is. Jesus could suggest a title on here and people would try to prove how wrong he is. It was for fun anyway. I love the effort you put into the photoshop. I'd probably put their eliminator cover on the backglass instead of that one but to each his own on that since this is just a wish list. A great band with great music and a great following. They bridge generations and even my 12 year old daughter likes them.

#79 6 years ago

I have a P-ROC system in hand and have been contemplating a few ideas for either building a home-grown machine or re-theming an existing one. This is a spectacular idea for that kind of effort, but I have to agree that it probably would tank as a commercial effort. I may have to think about this...

#80 6 years ago

Ahh..ZZTop...some of the best guitar hooks in R&R.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toyguy:

I have a P-ROC system in hand and have been contemplating a few ideas for either building a home-grown machine or re-theming an existing one. This is a spectacular idea for that kind of effort, but I have to agree that it probably would tank as a commercial effort. I may have to think about this...

That would be a cool retheme. I think it could have commercial success but with the same caveat as all themes, it would have to be done right. The Walking Dead is a great example of that for me. A theme I was so geeked up for and so let down with after playing and it.

#82 6 years ago

Agreed, if this pin was done right it would be killer.
    Done wrong - would be a hug waste of a great opportunity.

I think too much emphasis on the car would be wrong, the band should come first.
    I would want to see a career spading music selection (I like all the albums).

Defiantly should be some hand gesture pointing as the ball goes by.
    Three small play field screens would be cool to show different video/concert scenes as the modes change.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toyguy:

It would be great to retheme a cheap DMD game like LW3.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Like every theme I talk about, I like to photoshop a quick rendering of what the pin might look like. I'm imagining either the band on the backglass, or their afterburner album cover. The sideart should be the 33 ford (much like williams Corvette or Stern mustang).

Then I thought about features.
    If you included a 33 ford toy on the playfield, you could have a subway tunnel, and the ball ejects out of the car (ala Whirlwind cellar), but instead of a flasher bulb you have the headlights flash.
    Create a spinner toy (ala Transformers cube), but have a pair of legs
    Have a fuzzy guitar that spins through the playfield (like the band often does), but only after you hit all 3 stand-up targets
    Finally, the orbit shot has the 3 band members, and their arms spin and do the rotate and finger point every time the ball passes by

Reason this theme could sell well: It hits the classic car fans, the zz-top fans, the classic rock fans, and it would work well with rock bars (that often play ZZ-top music).

zz-top_pinball.jpg 90 KB

features.jpg 40 KB

Seriously a nice rendering. I like the pic for the backglass, you got some good toys too. Of course the shooter rod would have to a Guitar neck or shifter knob, and the start button would be a car start ignition turn switch with the iconic ZZ keys. This is got SR written all of over it.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I like ZZ top and all, but I would like to see pinball expand beyond its current demographic.

This. Please no more dad rock themes.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Demographics win unfortunately. If they've got the money to buy it and there is a demand, it will be made.

So hold onto your seats for "Bill Haley and his Comets" LE with an actual working clock inside the game so you'll always know it's time to rock!

billhaley.JPG

This one comes with a built-in heart rate monitor and adult diaper changing station, in the off chance you get too excited while playing it.

I kid, I kid. Seriously though, no more band pins for a while. I don't care if they're old or new.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

I'm with you.

How about Hispanic Space Girls?

Kids will love it!

Ariana-Grande-Space Girl.jpg

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Please no more dad rock themes.

No doubt! I think it's time to give grandpa a chance.

old-man-pink-guitar-corbis-660-80.jpg

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No doubt! I think it's time to give grandpa a chance.

Then maybe a Zep pin.

robert plant.jpg
    #90 6 years ago

In case nobody has noticed, the biggest audience for in the box games are guys in their fifties on up with a few extra bucks to piss away.

IMO, a ZZTop pin would sell well to that group. A hip hop or rap pin would be DOA.

What will be interesting is how well Juicy Melons will sell. People complain about the lack of original themes, they're going to get one. The question is, how close to the concept the production will be. And if that sells, maybe it will be the start of a shift back to original themes, less license.

IMO that some bands and their signature riffs make great background for a pin. ZZTop is one of them. Could see some Dire Straits working that way too.

#91 6 years ago

Only music pins I would be interested in buying would be Hendrix, Floyd or NOFX.

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Just say it already... You want a Justin Bieber pin!

#94 6 years ago

I would take a ZZ Top theme over pretty much any existing music theme. It seems Stern only picks bands I dislike. (I know, I'm in the minority here)

Still, I would love a ZZ Top pinball.

EDIT: I actually love the stones, but from what I hear... that pin leaves much to be desired.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Please no more dad rock themes.

So... you won't be pre-ordering Stern's next release?

Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs Pinball

Rumor has it:
    WOOLY BOOLY MULTIBOOLY!

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

In case nobody has noticed, the biggest audience for in the box games are guys in their fifties on up with a few extra bucks to piss away.

IMO, a ZZTop pin would sell well to that group. A hip hop or rap pin would be DOA.

I'm in my early fifties and enjoyed all these ancient rock bands when I was in my teens. But gone are the days when I need to wake up to "Breaking the Law" every morning and really have no need to have a standing monument to any more of them in my living room. I have moved on.....

I have also moved on from rap and hip-hop, now it's alt rock. New and fresh. It's what my teenage daughter listens to. And no, I didn't get it from her, she got it from me.

#97 6 years ago

Doesn't mean I won't cue up a little vintage Top every once in a while.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm in my early fifties and enjoyed all these ancient rock bands when I was in my teens. But gone are the days when I need to wake up to "Breaking the Law" every morning and really have no need to have a standing monument to any more of them in my living room. I have moved on.....

Hey, nothing wrong with music from different points in time. The best stuff is timeless. Just no need for a pin dedicated to it.

One of my fav 60's songs, and a Dylan cover no less :

Everything as of late has been so overly produced that it lacks any and all feel. This cover oozes it..

Brian Eno said the 2000's would be remembered as the era of squeaky clean over-produced music. He's right, I've heard enough auto-tuned/melodyned vocal tracks and looped music sections for 1000 lifetimes. Thank god Broken Social Scene & The Strokes were around.

#99 6 years ago

They've been making band theme games for decades. What Stern has stumbled across is they now can play entire tracks from the band and you get to listen to good music that lends itself to playing pinball. Most of ZZ Top's popular songs would be fun to listen to and play pinball to. The biggest complaint I heard about Metalica, after the code was fixed, is that some songs were too slow that were chosen to be included. Really any fun or fast paced music themed pin would be fun to play. Even the Ariana Grande joke above could be pulled off probably.

I really think Stern could come up with a generic music themed pin more like a juke box. It would be designed to let you put your own tracks on it to play pinball to and the theme could be all about making the song top the charts. It would probably need to come preloaded with some songs but it would be designed with an easy usb port to transfer your own songs on to it. Since the theme would be music charting based theme it wouldn't matter if you had Country, Rock or Rap as the theme fits what ever you like to listen to. You can put Country on an AC/DC now with pin browser but the graphics would make it stupid.

#100 6 years ago

Slayer

The artwork and imagery, speed of the songs is fantastic for a pinball machine. I know its too dark for most of you and the chances are next to zero but I can dream.

TomArayaButton.png Slayer-kopia.jpg Slayers_wallpapers_39.jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 360.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 35.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 160.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Starcade Amusement
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 52.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 999.00
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 11.95
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 360.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 30.00
    $ 39.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside