(Topic ID: 15506)

If it is storming do you guys turn off your pins or unplug?

By mojozone

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by APOLLO_13
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattelder.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinFan4Life:

I don't unplug them at all...too much trouble and really no benefit to me. I have all of my pins on surge protectors, which should stop power surges and not allow any damage to the pins. If your house takes a direct lightning strike, your pins will be the least of your worries....there will likely be no house left after the fire anyway.

Not so. As an electrician, I have gone to many houses over the years to do estimates of damages, and help with insurance write ups after a lightning strike. I honestly can't recall the last time a house actually burnt down around here due to a strike. It'll go in and burn a path of appliance destruction and then leave through the ground rods, water main, or re-bar electrode in the footing, but the house is fine.

I've actually seen burn marks on the face of the drywall where the lightning has followed the romex, but the house itself was fine because the voltage eventually dissipated. Even crazy hits like this many times produce no fire, just wiring damage. A more indirect hit usually does little more than knock out a few appliances on it's way through.

As many have said though, those surge arrestors/suppressors are pretty worthless...so is turning off your breakers. The only real way to save something from getting damaged/destroyed is unplugging it ( ....assuming your place doesn't actually end up burning down).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattelder.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-it-is-storming-do-you-guys-turn-off-your-pins-or-unplug?tu=mattelder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.