(Topic ID: 15506)

If it is storming do you guys turn off your pins or unplug?

By mojozone

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by APOLLO_13
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

If you get a really close strike, the only thing that will save you is having them unplugged. That goes for anything.

Ditto. Super annoying with the amount I have, but it's needed. I am at the highest spot in my city, so we get close hits alll the time thunder storms.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Surge protector's and the warranty they offer are a joke....Neither work. The so called insurance that the protector companies offer are so tied up in the small print you'll never successfully make a claim. And if you do, guess what. The surge protector company will subjugate it back to your home owner's policy carrier.

Very correct, however, the word is "sobrogate" You can claim, but you might as well by doing it on your home policy, as that is where it will be going.

Quoted from robertmee:

Next....Your surge protector is actually WORSE than having the appliance plugged directly into the wall. Here's why. Lightning seeks the shortest path to ground. Unless your surge protector is connected to EARTH ground at the pin, then guess what? Your surge protectors use MOVs to shunt the surge to your EQUIPMENT ground conductor. That's the little copper wire in your outlet box that goes back to your breaker panel. So, the MOV will shunt the surge to the equipment ground and the lightning will travel its merry way back to your breaker box and then to earth ground. Along the way, it will fry anything connected to that equipment ground which means every outlet between your pin outlet and the breaker box.

I don't understand this... how is the surge bar not connected to earth ground? It plugs into the receptacle’s ground, which should be a true ground. Any over amping should trip the internal breaker prior to reaching anything past that circuit, for anything within a certain range above what the breaker can handle, anything like a lightning strike will just destroy anything attached either way.

I have had lightning hit close to my house 4 years ago. It wasn't super close, but it took out my in-ground sprinkler system control panel, and tripped the surge protector on my home PC. The only damages PC thing was the speaker system, however, on closer inspection, this was plugged into one of the non-surge protected receptacles it had, so in fact, it worked right for something it could handle.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-it-is-storming-do-you-guys-turn-off-your-pins-or-unplug?tu=atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.