Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150924_213945 (resized).jpg
    20150924_213936 (resized).jpg
    20150923_224855 (resized).jpg
    20150525_122128 (resized).jpg
    20150418_152609 (resized).jpg
    20150111_205631 (resized).jpg
    20150808_215151 (resized).jpg
    20150531_131234 (resized).jpg
    20150619_200052 (resized).jpg
    20150611_224303 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Hi All,

I'm in the process of renovating my GTB Mini Pool. I've restored the play field (repainted and cleared), changed the target faces, new rubber, created a new back glass and plastics. When the weather warms up here in the N.E. I plan to repaint the cabinet as well.

But, here's the thing.....I'm bored.

The game is playing great, better than it has in the ten+ years I've owned it.

I'm considering cleaning the motor board. Relays, Score motor etc. Do you think the effort is worth the reward? Like I said, the game is playing great, so no adjustments needed. But I like the idea of shiny parts.

I just don't want to mess up a good thing.

your 2¢ ?

any other suggestions? polish the bells? clean up back box components?

but.....if it ain't broke........

boredom can be dangerous

#2 6 years ago

I rarely dig that deep, but there is something satisfying about seeing everything all clean and sparkly. If it was a long term keeper and I was bored I'd probably go for it. It will be rewarding and add value.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Hi All,
    I'm in the process of renovating my GTB Mini Pool. I've restored the play field, changed the target faces, new rubber, created a new back glass and plastics. When the weather warms up here in the N.E. I plan to repaint the cabinet as well.
    But, here's the thing.....I'm bored.
    The game is playing great, better than it has in the ten+ years I've owned it.
    I'm considering cleaning the motor board. Relays, Score motor etc. Do you think the effort is worth the reward? Like I said, the game is playing great, so no adjustments needed. But I like the idea of shiny parts.
    I just don't want to mess up a good thing.
    your 2¢ ?
    any other suggestions? polish the bells? clean up back box components?
    but.....if it ain't broke........
    boredom can be dangerous

If you know what you're doing, why not?

If I go through a major restoration like this, I usually do it. I don't always take score motors apart to shine them up but I have done it. Sanded down the board to make it shine, put in new labels, the whole deal. It's a sickness but what the hell, it's enjoyable to me. Nobody else will probably ever see it but you will and there's a lot of satisfaction opening a game up and seeing it shine like new in there.

It's an EM. As long as it is all there and as long as all switches are in the right place, it will work. If you screw it up you'll cure your boredom finding what you screwed up...

#4 6 years ago

20150611_224303 (resized).jpg20150611_224303 (resized).jpgHere's an example of what I did with a Drop A Card.

I'm betting when you see how they look you'll go for it. 20150619_200052 (resized).jpg20150619_200052 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

20150808_215151 (resized).jpg20150808_215151 (resized).jpgHere's a before of the motor and the ball count unit and the bottom board after. 20150531_131234 (resized).jpg20150531_131234 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

wow! I'm blinded! That stepper is ridiculous!

It's got to play a bit better, smoother, quieter when it's all clean, right?

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

If you screw it up you'll cure your boredom finding what you screwed up...

That's what I'm afraid of!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

wow! I'm blinded! That stepper is ridiculous!
    It's got to play a bit better, smoother, quieter when it's all clean, right?

Well, it worked great. I don't know about smoother or quieter because when I got it the game was non working and in pieces.

It went from this...

20150418_152609 (resized).jpg20150418_152609 (resized).jpg20150525_122128 (resized).jpg20150525_122128 (resized).jpg20150111_205631 (resized).jpg20150111_205631 (resized).jpg

To this...

20150923_224855 (resized).jpg20150923_224855 (resized).jpg20150924_213936 (resized).jpg20150924_213936 (resized).jpg20150924_213945 (resized).jpg20150924_213945 (resized).jpg

I was still getting my webbing technique down and the webbing on this one was a bit heavy. But overall it came out nice considering where I started. Had to put a new bottom board on it and sand off that ridiculous stain job. Fortunately the rest of the cab and the head were solid and the playfield was really nice once I cleaned it up.

#9 6 years ago

If you want to do it,just do it. Thats what a hobby is all about.

#10 6 years ago

EmsinKC,

I dunno, that brown looked kinda nice. Barf!

Great job.

What did you do for the webbing?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

If you want to do it,just do it. Thats what a hobby is all about.

But do I want to?

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

EmsinKC,
    I dunno, that brown looked kinda nice. Barf!
    Great job.
    What did you do for the webbing?

The Clay Harrell Weiler brush flick method. It takes some practice. What I've found is that the further away from the cab you get, you get spatter. The closer you get, you get webbing.

I pull a few bristles away from the rest and use those. That way the webbing isn't so thick. Thin the paint down and don't get too much on the bristles.

Lots of guys do it the way the factory did it. Boilerman on here uses an air gun and he gets great results. I have the gun and I have a compressor but I've just never done it that way. One of these days I'll try it.

#13 6 years ago

Nicely done

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

That's what I'm afraid of!

I would suggest directing your energies toward something else, like hunting down a new project. 9 times out of 10, if you go to rebuild something that works flawlessly but perhaps has a marginal appearance it will never play the same. I look at it this way - nobody coming over to play is interested in what the innards look like. They just want to play.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I would suggest directing your energies toward something else, like hunting down a new project. 9 times out of 10, if you go to rebuild something that works flawlessly but perhaps has a marginal appearance it will never play the same. I look at it this way - nobody coming over to play is interested in what the innards look like. They just want to play.

Well, that's never been my experience, but your mileage may vary. If you know what you're doing it's should play as well as it ever did or even better.

#16 6 years ago

I'll probably do it, but I'll wait until I'm ready to paint the cabinet. No need to dismantle a functional game prematurely!

In the mean time, it may be a good time to wax my other games. That could take a week or 2.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

But do I want to?

Let me look into my crystal ball. The answer is inside you.

#18 6 years ago

Go for it. The restore is the best part for me. Half the problem is finding the perfect project that is in good shape and parts are available. You already have that part licked.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Let me look into my crystal ball. The answer is inside you.

Then the answer is no, but I'll do it anyway!

I've never gone to that degree of restoration and never quite got why someone would go to all the trouble, especially since the parts will eventually tarnish again, but you have to try everything at least once, don't you?

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Well, that's never been my experience, but your mileage may vary. If you know what you're doing it's should play as well as it ever did or even better.

I've rebuilt some flippers that were working - sometimes it's improved but then other times there's something inherently different about the aftermarket parts, visually they are identical...but something about the originals made them feel better. Pehaps the mechs are "broken in" just so, worn a little bit just so makes them "feel" right. I've played some fully restored games that played ok, but still didn't have quite the feel of the original. I dunno...maybe its just me. The last couple of games, I've just passed on rebuilding flippers but overhauled and cleaned them. They worked great so no need to replace the parts just to make it look good under the hood. Play on...

#21 6 years ago

Well, I guess you didn't pick up that "Delta Queen" then.

#22 6 years ago

Looks great except for those painted legs.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Well, I guess you didn't pick up that "Delta Queen" then.

No, I wasn't able to get to L.I. Is it still for sale?

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Here's an example of what I did with a Drop A Card.
    I'm betting when you see how they look you'll go for it.

Any advise on polishing up those unit frames that have lots of bits and bobs sticking out in weird places? They don't really fit in my tumbler.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Looks great except for those painted legs.

Painted, hell. Those are powdercoated...

The thing is, lots of games back in the 50s used painted legs. I figure that manufacturers didn't want to do that because legs take a beating on location. Pretty easy to kick them, they get dropped moving games, etc. In home they don't have that issue and I think they add sometime to the game appearance.

I know it's not stock, but it's a mod that is easily reversed if someone doesn't like it.

I sold that DAC and as far as I know the guy still has those legs on it.

Quoted from dr_nybble:

Any advise on polishing up those unit frames that have lots of bits and bobs sticking out in weird places? They don't really fit in my tumbler.

That is all elbow grease, my man. No shortcuts on something like that. Metal polish and elbow grease. You can use 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper by hand also.

#26 6 years ago

Hey, did you know that if you hit one of those nylon lifters with a dremel, it departs the switch blade, and flies across the room, never to be seen again?

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Hey, did you know that if you hit one of those nylon lifters with a dremel, it departs the switch blade, and flies across the room, never to be seen again?

Well, it makes me feel better. I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that. Anyone ever wish they could pick the machine up like Hercules and shake it upside down to look for a missing part?

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

I know it. I haven't done it yet. So far. And probably just jinxed myself.

If it happens, Steve Young has them. You're just SOL until you get one in.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I've repaired them before, using nylon rod bought from the big box store, and glued with gorilla glue or epoxy.

This time, I've already ordered new ones from Steve, of course I had to order other things too, so this 25¢ part just cost me about $200.00

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Painted, hell. Those are powdercoated...

That is all elbow grease, my man. No shortcuts on something like that. Metal polish and elbow grease. You can use 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper by hand also.

When this came out the legs were not powdercoated is all. I like them the way they were when it came out it all. Nice & shiny!

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Well it looks like you're off to a "flying" start then!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

No, I wasn't able to get to L.I. Is it still for sale?

I don't know.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Well it looks like you're off to a "flying" start then!

LOL, It'll turn up as soon as the new ones arrive

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

When this came out the legs were not powdercoated is all. I like them the way they were when it came out it all. Nice & shiny!

Yeah, I know that. They never powdercoated them at all back then.

I like them nice and shiny too, except when you buy real basket case projects like this one was, well, the legs don't really look like that any longer. I've got a pretty cheap powdercoating source, cheaper than buying new legs from PBR, and when you have already kind of broken the bank on PBR orders, well, you save where you can.

If someone doesn't like that look when you sell a game it's an easy reversal. That's how I look at it. I like them both ways but sometimes necessity gets in the way.

#35 6 years ago

One good thing about living where I do, placed the PBR order yesterday, received parts today.

Game s 100% again.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

One good thing about living where I do, placed the PBR order yesterday, received parts today.
    Game s 100% again.

So I guess you're not going to be shining up the innards, are you?

#37 6 years ago

I polished the top cam, and the mounting brackets so far. That brass really looks great when polished. I may continue, but won't use the dremel on the switch stacks.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I bought five of every size PBR carries for just such an emergency.

#39 6 years ago

That'll insure that you'll never need one.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

That'll insure that you'll never need one.

That's what I was hoping, but have needed three so far in my restorations

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I bought five of every size PBR carries for just such an emergency.

I'll sit here with none and when it finally happens you'll hear the cussing all the way there because I didn't do that.

If I did buy them, it would never happen and then I'd put them somewhere that I can't find and end up ordering them again, only to find them either while the order is on the way or after it comes in. That's how life works.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'll sit here with none and when it finally happens you'll hear the cussing all the way there because I didn't do that.
    If I did buy them, it would never happen and then I'd put them somewhere that I can't find and end up ordering them again, only to find them either while the order is on the way or after it comes in. That's how life works.

True, so true!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-it-aint-broke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.