(Topic ID: 27220)

If I like Centaur II I will also like ???

By Whysnow

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Natetheviking
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Subject says it all.

I really like playing my buddies cantaur II and wondered what other games I will likely dig in your opinion. I like the overall shot layout, berating humor is funny, simple yet difficult objectives to get multiple balls, and very much the outlane nudge back built in to the game.

Please let me know your thoughts and why.

thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

I guess just about anything... I kiid, I kiid. Maybe medusa?

#3 6 years ago

Flight 2000 comes to mind for neat old timey multiball action.

#4 6 years ago

do any other games use a similar outlane nudge back?

#5 6 years ago

The games that seem to go well with Centaur I would say would be

Medusa
Fathom
Elektra
Embryon

Perhaps Spectrum and Flash Gordon would also compliment Centaur as well from that era.
Vector is also another great machine.

#6 6 years ago

Skateball, Paragon, Mystic, Frontier are also awesome games from the Bally stable. They are all single ball games but balance out Centaur's multiball almost all the time approach.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Medusa has an interesting Outlane but nothing like that gate (or whatever) on centaur

#8 6 years ago

Centaur :p

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

outlane nudge back built in to the game.

Future spa sort of

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Bally Viking

#11 6 years ago

But centaur is way different to the 1980 and earlier games such as paragon or future spa the gameplay has a way different feel any of the 1981 machines that would compliment it better in my opinion.

#12 6 years ago

Firepower

Edit: doesn't have the outlane/gate bump save, just that if you like Centaur, I don't see not liking FP.

#13 6 years ago

Any of the Bally solid state games from 1979-1981 or so have simple but hard-to-acheive objectives. Most don't have multi-ball, especially not the same multiball rules as Centaur.

Many of them have "non-standard" bottoms with the closest to Centaur being Viking. Paragon, Future Spa, Skateball, Medusa, Fathom, etc...all have unique lower playfields and are quite fun and challenging. Check out some of the classic Sterns as well such as Star Gazer, Sea Witch, and Big Game.

#14 6 years ago

Great advice in here guys! Looks like I have a new list of games to seek out and play. Maybe some will be at expo???

#15 6 years ago

black hole

#16 6 years ago

I wanted to get my Space Invaders to the Expo for sale but dont look like Ill be able to get down there since i burned my expo money buying medusa yesterday and running over budget on the space invaders restoration
I realy wanted to show off my work again like I did with Xenon

#17 6 years ago

I don't really think there is any "true" substitute for Centaur, but there have been some great suggestions in this thread. I would put Fathom, Embryon, Flash Gordon, and Medusa at the top of my list of pins I enjoy from this era. I also think that Vector looks really cool although I have yet to play one.

I'm also really digging my new Black Hole right now. The game is just brutally tough and I can only manage to get multi-ball about 1 in 10 games. You'll have to stop over soon to try it out!

#18 6 years ago

Yeah the 1981 Bally machines are the best match and feel but toe for toe i would have to say Medusa is the best match for Centaur of that year.

#19 6 years ago

Fathom or Firepower II.

#20 6 years ago

I need another Centaur, sold mine a few years back. How much are nice, unrestored Centaurs selling for right now? If I can find one, that is.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I need another Centaur, sold mine a few years back. How much are nice, unrestored Centaurs selling for right now? If I can find one, that is.

Sane, level headed quotes on pinside will float around 800-1500 (15 being pretty high for an average, unrestored Centaur). Not first hand experience, but that's where I've seen and heard other collectors putting their worth at.

Expect, however, "I wish I could find one for that all day long" people to quote 3X that range.

Fantastic game for sure. One of my favorites of the era.

#22 6 years ago

fathom is your closest option.
played the game and had a centaur (sold it last spring) and those 2 games goes very well together.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I looked for a couple years for a regular Centaur. The low end beaters with bad SIA boards were $900-1000, pretty nice one's were $1500-$1800. I eventually settled on a Centaur II which I found at last years Midwest Gaming Classic for $500. Same game but much more reasonable in price! I hardly see either one for sale anymore though....

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I looked for a couple years for a regular Centaur. The low end beaters with bad SIA boards were $900-1000, pretty nice one's were $1500-$1800. I eventually settled on a Centaur II which I found at last years Midwest Gaming Classic for $500. Same game but much more reasonable in price! I hardly see either one for sale anymore though....

lucky SOB

#25 6 years ago

Treveism ah so your the one that purchased that machine
I was about to go over and buy it myself to flip but it had already sold lol but yeah that machine was certainly savable and worth a restoration not a bad find Esp for the price.

#26 6 years ago

Yep. That was me It won't be a $500 game for long though. I've already spent around $1200 in parts for it with more on the way I'm sure. CPR Playfield and plastic set, drops, bumper caps, legs, flipper rebuilds, etc. It's going to be my Winter project which I'll be likely start a thread on soon!

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

The games that seem to go well with Centaur I would say would be
Medusa
Fathom
Elektra
Embryon
Perhaps Spectrum and Flash Gordon would also compliment Centaur as well from that era.
Vector is also another great machine

This is pretty much on target. The only ones I might add to the list are perhaps Paragon, Spy Hunter and Eight Ball Deluxe

#28 6 years ago

Hmm i dont understand i know paragon is a beautiful machine but when i played it honestly it just made me wanna fall asleep lol
It it my opinion certainly didnt come close to being as fun as centaur.
is there something i have missed playing paragon????

#29 6 years ago

Fireball II

#30 6 years ago

I have a HUO Centaur and a very nice Paragon. LOVE my Centaur, but a dialed in, well-tuned Paragon is a wicked bitch of a game. Looks simple, but very hard to beat. I spend more time on my Paragon lately than all my other pins. Quick, brutal games that keep me coming back for more.

#31 6 years ago

Special Force has one of those "nudge back" gates as well. I'm not sure how I feel about it. You can definitely save well over half of the balls that "drain." Maybe I should tighten the tilt...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 85.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside