(Topic ID: 19252)

If a pinball arcade were to open, pick 14 pins that should be in it.

By HighProtein

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Honch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

There may be a pinball arcade in FL this year, what 14 machines should be in it?

#2 7 years ago

X-men, AC/DC, TAF, TSPP, LOTR, RS, EATPM, JP, Taxi, RFM, Tommy, BK2000 and 2 cool "older" games for the old school peeps Xenon and Fathom. Good blend of old and new and classics most which can be found routed and affordable.

Here is the dark horse game that I have known a few people that have done well with it on route - Flintstones.

Knowing a few arcade owners, EMs just don't do well enough to even consider, if you get some really cheap they can be a throw in but won't pull in any money.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

There may be a pinball arcade in FL this year

What are you saying...?

#4 7 years ago

Hopefully, the proposed building isn't under 3 feet of water now. First time in years we haven't gone down to Florida. Was bummed until the weather hit. Guess things happen for a reason. No longer bummed. Good luck to the folks down there dealing with the storm damage.

#5 7 years ago

1) ACDC
    2) MM
    3) TAF
    4) LOTR
    5) TSPP
    6) TOTAN
    7) MB
    8) TRON
    9) TZ
    10) AFM
    11) T2
    12) JY
    13) SC
    14) F-14

#6 7 years ago

Is there a budget?

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from BinGhanem:

scooter said:
    SM
    LOTR
    MM
    TZ
    AFM
    STTNG
    IM
    TRON
    TSPP
    TF LE combo
    WOZ
    X-MEN
    TAF

+ MB or TOTAN

I guess I can't Count.
    I fixed it!

#10 7 years ago

I think you need a mix of several different eras:

modern:
    WOZ
    XMen
    SM
    LOTR
    FG

90's:
    TAF
    TZ
    MM
    WH20
    CV

80's:
    Pinbot
    High Speed
    EATPM
    Centaur

70's:
    Wizard - you need an EM in the mix

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Wizard - you need an EM in the mix

Yes, that way you know there will be one game that you don't have to check for money being in it.

#12 7 years ago

You won't make much money if you put pins in there that a customer can play for 1 hour per game (lotr, tspp, sm)

#13 7 years ago

Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, Monster Bash, Addams Family Gold, Simpsons Pinball Party, Attack from Mars, Lord of the Rings, White Water, ST:TNG, Terminator 2, Banzai Run, Black Knight 2000, Haunted House, and Eight Ball Deluxe.
    (I'm not really much of a fan of LOTR myself, but it's such a popular game it really has to be included.)

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

modern:WOZXMenSMLOTRFG
    90's:TAFTZMMWH20CV
    80's:PinbotHigh SpeedEATPMCentaur
    70's:Wizard - you need an EM in the mix

Perfect!!!!!!

#15 7 years ago

FH
    BK2K
    Pin Bot
    WH2O
    The Getaway
    Whirlwind
    Breakshot
    TAF
    IJ
    TAXI
    BDK
    ACDC
    MM
    AFM

Gives you a mix of eras and avoids games with super long ball times. As the arcade matured, I would set up a "long play" area with 75 cent games of the longer play games available.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I'd frequent any establishment that put this lineup together.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from jorant:

Yes, that way you know there will be one game that you don't have to check for money being in it.

I put money in them when i find them

#19 7 years ago

Expressway
    Slick Chick
    Honey
    Superstar
    Jive Time
    Trail Drive
    Funland
    Mibbs
    Royal Guard
    Wildlife
    Kewpie Doll
    Aquarius
    Spanish Eyes
    Triple Action

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from jorant:

I think you'd be surprised at how many people are drawn to the chimes and classic charm of EM's. Maybe not a lot of people on this forum, but a lot of casual players are intimidated by complexity and rule-sets of the newer games and would rather play a simple EM game. My girlfriend is the perfect example. When we were at the PHOF this Spring she walked right past the Tron LE and Cactus Canyon and went straight to the EM row. I even put a couple bucks worth of quarters into the EM's while I was there.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

There may be a pinball arcade in FL this year, what 14 machines should be in it?

Where in Florida? Jacksonville?

#22 7 years ago

If it were "my arcade" or "my dream arcade"? Very different questions. Are you asking from a business (profit/loss) standpoint?

#24 7 years ago

It pains me a little to say it, but I've seen people feeding quarters into South Park while ignoring some of the highly respected games listed above. I'd get that one for my business. I personally don't hate it as much as some.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Spaceman:

I've seen people feeding quarters into South Park while ignoring some of the highly respected games listed above.

I see it also. I think DM would be a good one, maybe some Dr. Who

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Spaceman:

It pains me a little to say it, but I've seen people feeding quarters into South Park while ignoring some of the highly respected games listed above. I'd get that one for my business. I personally don't hate it as much as some.

That is the main thing to consider.

Not games you necessarily like. But games that earn.

South Park earns, IJ4 earns. Etc. Etc. They may not be great pins, but they are great at what they were intended for.

LTG

#27 7 years ago

The first 10 in the top 100 on Pinside and XM, TRON LE, AC/DC LE and IM. I would pay to play in that arcade.

#28 7 years ago

i traded a south park for two players pins and never looked back. They guy i traded it to said it was his best earner for a long time.

#29 7 years ago

Bemmett (2nd post in this thread) had it right...He included Tommy in the list. It was all down hill after that post

#30 7 years ago

Hey,

If your target audience is serious pinball players (I would lump anyone on this site into that group), feel free to ignore this. With that said, if I walked into any place, anywhere, and there were ANY fourteen games in good working condition, it wouldn't matter what they were. If I had a few hours to kill, I'd throw money into all of them. There aren't enough machines in good shape out there anywhere for me to be picky when I do find them. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'll throw quarters into anything that works well, old or new.

Something we as pinball fans seem to have come to accept is throwing money into a game and half-expecting it to not work properly. For you or me as a collector, it's just part of the deal, and if the game works well, hey, that's almost a bonus. But for a ten year old kid, it's disheartening to throw fifty cents into a game and have it do next to nothing. So, I'd say condition is king, and the games would almost be secondary. Make 'em work, then worry about drawing people in because you've got the A-list titles. I played a Police Force at SS Billiards one time; it was sitting next to a Twilight Zone and across the room from a Big Bang Bar, but it worked just fine, so I gave it a try.

With that said, and keeping in mind I'm no expert:

1) TAF - yes, it's an A-list machine, no, it's not cheap, but EVERYONE remembers that game and I think it would do well because of it
    2) T2 - cheap; anyone old enough to remember the movie coming out will throw money at it
    3) South Park - relatively cheap; people will throw money at it based on theme alone. This was not my idea; I probably wouldn't have thought of it had those above not said anything, but for a quarter-taker, it'll definitely do the job.
    4, 5, and 6) Space Shuttle, High Speed, Pin*Bot - there's something to be said for relatively simple games that revitalized the pinball industry. These hit the cross section of being relatively cheap and somewhat appealing to dedicated pin players.
    7) RFM / SWE1 - I wouldn't write those in stone; they're cheap enough, but also have the advantage of being novel for non-pinheads. Would I put one in my basement? Probably not. Did I think, "Holy crap! This is really cool!" the one and only time I played RFM? Yes.
    8) DE Simpsons. I have a TSPP and love it, but for a third of the price, the other one will take quarters just fine.
    9) Fish Tales - Same reason as Space Shuttle / High Speed / Pin*Bot, a bit more money, but a player's game that will also draw money from the person passing through because the topper's cool
    10) Hyperball - I'm going out on a limb here, but I think a lot of people would throw a quarter or two in this thing for the sheer novelty value of it, pinball fan or not. As I understand it, this is TREMENDOUSLY loud, which is part of the appeal, but keep that in mind and put it at the back of the room...
    11) Earthshaker - looks cool; game with a shaker motor catches people off guard when it fires up
    12) World Cup Soccer - relatively inexpensive; again, cross section of price and appealing to pinball players

I can't think of any others with good reason, but since I've made this list with some quasi-reason behind it, I'll say:

13) Flash
    14) Gorgar

Why those two? I like 'em, that's why. No other "they're great bang-for-the-buck" logic therein.

I'd be REALLY interested to hear an operator say, "Well, Luke, your list looks good from a money-making standpoint," or, "Luke, have you been huffing paint thinner again? None of those games made money the first time around." Good luck on this endeavor.

Luke

#31 7 years ago

T3
    Spirit
    Spider-Man
    The Big Lebowski (JJP widebody with manakin bowling lane)
    Thunderball
    Big Bang Bar
    Kingpin (Capcom)
    Fireball
    Banzai Run
    Varkon
    Jolly Park
    Attack from Mars
    Card Whiz
    Black Knight

#32 7 years ago

LOTR
    SM
    FGY
    Tron
    TF
    Sopranos (this gets played a lot)
    T2
    TAF
    HS2
    SP (sad but true)
    BOP
    IJ
    EATPM
    SS

I wouldn't want to own some of these but they seem to be the best earning machines at the local arcade. I would stay away from games with unpopular licenses, games that are difficult and/or to complicated unless the license is popular. Oh and dont be stingy with replays,matches and bonus credits for multiple coin ups.

#33 7 years ago

You should have a good sampling of as many of these later pins as possible: XM-LE, Tron, ACDC-Premium, IM, SM, TF, WOZ, LOTR
    though I'm not sure how well something like LOTR does on location with such long games.

Then move on to top rated pins... with consistently solid attract value like MM, AFM, WH20, TSPP, FG. Older SS/EM games tend to sit idle more than DMDs, but provide a cheap way to round out a collection of 14 pins.

#34 7 years ago

Call the arcade The Black Hole. Have 14 Black Holes. When you enter, the speakers announce "No one escapes The Black Hole!!!". The door locks behind you.

#35 7 years ago

14 huh ?????

IM, AFM, FH, Cyclone, Taxi, ACDC, MM, IJ, Tron, TZ, ToM, SM, MB, XM

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

If it were "my arcade" or "my dream arcade"? Very different questions. Are you asking from a business (profit/loss) standpoint?

I second that!

Quoted from Prkchpsndwiches:

Call the arcade The Black Hole. Have 14 Black Holes. When you enter, the speakers announce "No one escapes The Black Hole!!!". The door locks behind you.

Now, that's how you make money!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from lukerp:

1) TAF - yes, it's an A-list machine, no, it's not cheap, but EVERYONE remembers that game and I think it would do well because of it
    2) T2 - cheap; anyone old enough to remember the movie coming out will throw money at it
    3) South Park - relatively cheap; people will throw money at it based on theme alone. This was not my idea; I probably wouldn't have thought of it had those above not said anything, but for a quarter-taker, it'll definitely do the job.
    4, 5, and 6) Space Shuttle, High Speed, Pin*Bot - there's something to be said for relatively simple games that revitalized the pinball industry. These hit the cross section of being relatively cheap and somewhat appealing to dedicated pin players.
    7) RFM / SWE1 - I wouldn't write those in stone; they're cheap enough, but also have the advantage of being novel for non-pinheads. Would I put one in my basement? Probably not. Did I think, "Holy crap! This is really cool!" the one and only time I played RFM? Yes.
    DE Simpsons. I have a TSPP and love it, but for a third of the price, the other one will take quarters just fine.
    9) Fish Tales - Same reason as Space Shuttle / High Speed / Pin*Bot, a bit more money, but a player's game that will also draw money from the person passing through because the topper's cool
    10) Hyperball - I'm going out on a limb here, but I think a lot of people would throw a quarter or two in this thing for the sheer novelty value of it, pinball fan or not. As I understand it, this is TREMENDOUSLY loud, which is part of the appeal, but keep that in mind and put it at the back of the room...
    11) Earthshaker - looks cool; game with a shaker motor catches people off guard when it fires up
    12) World Cup Soccer - relatively inexpensive; again, cross section of price and appealing to pinball players
    I can't think of any others with good reason, but since I've made this list with some quasi-reason behind it, I'll say:
    13) Flash
    14) Gorgar
    Why those two? I like 'em, that's why. No other "they're great bang-for-the-buck" logic therein.
    I'd be REALLY interested to hear an operator say, "Well, Luke, your list looks good from a money-making standpoint," or, "Luke, have you been huffing paint thinner again? None of those games made money the first time around." Good luck on this endeavor.
    Luke

Funny that 6 of your 14 are at the local arcade here.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from lukerp:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'll throw quarters into anything that works well, old or new.

This. Get any 14 games, shine 'em up, and go.

Or the Black Hole thing. That's really funny.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from KenH:

This. Get any 14 games, shine 'em up, and go.
    Or the Black Hole thing. That's really funny.

I'd have to agree with that. Putting together a pinball arcade, and putting a pin in a bowling alley are completely different if you ask me. Presumably, anyone that is walking into a place with 14 pins isn't going to turn around because there isn't a SP. You're probably going to get a crowd that is seeking out that type of thing, and in that case, I would put together a good mix of good games - not just earners.

#41 7 years ago

Lots of good ideas here. Any mix of basically good machines will work. Maintenance of the machines will be important with any machines. Everyone hates trying to play "Out of Order".

But the important question is "Why 14?" Wouldn't 15 be better?

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I think you'd be surprised at how many people are drawn to the chimes and classic charm of EM's.

There is a lot of truth to that statement.

Also, I like this idea for the input of others but I think you would get a better idea of what "we" might want if you said, "I have $35,000 to spend on Pins for a new arcade I am opening, what would be the best line-up I could get." Just sayin..

#43 7 years ago

I think my ideal would be...

WOZ
    ACDC
    LOTR
    CV
    RMF
    TZ
    TAF
    MM
    IJ
    TOTAN
    FT
    BOP
    FH
    KISS

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

I wouldn't want to own some of these but they seem to be the best earning machines at the local arcade. I would stay away from games with unpopular licenses, games that are difficult and/or to complicated unless the license is popular. Oh and dont be stingy with replays,matches and bonus credits for multiple coin ups.

Actually, if I was running an arcade, I would replace replays with extra balls, except for matches and high scores tables.

#45 7 years ago

Where's the OP?

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Is there a budget?

That was what I was wondering. If not go all NIB with current pins from 2002 on. If there is I would just buy the first 14 pins I could afford and swap as I find more down the road. To cherry pick 14 specific titles would be harder than winning the lottery unless there is no budget.

If the target is non-pinheads you need to get popular movie based pins like somebody said about SP. Causal players will play whatever they are into like Star Wars, Sopranos, TSPP and stuff like that.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I think you'd be surprised at how many people are drawn to the chimes and classic charm of EM's. Maybe not a lot of people on this forum, but a lot of casual players are intimidated by complexity and rule-sets of the newer games and would rather play a simple EM game. My girlfriend is the perfect example. When we were at the PHOF this Spring she walked right past the TRON LE and Cactus Canyon and went straight to the EM row. I even put a couple bucks worth of quarters into the EM's while I was there.

Right on target again. Simple games draw in the casual player. A complicated rule set can turn some people off (or at the least not interest them). I see this time and time again, just within my small collection of games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 48.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 12.75
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 149.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    $ 29.00
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside