(Topic ID: 112652)

If a $5k LOTR Vault is released before Hobbit, what will you get?

By YKpinballer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 172 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by flynnibus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If a $5k LOTR VE released before the Hobbit, which would you get?”

• Hobbit 64 votes
    24%
  • Lord of the Rings 183 votes
    69%
  • Both 20 votes
    7%

(267 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Clams.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

In 2013 pro models were being released at ~$4600 shipped to your door. LOTR is a pin that has already been developed and requires very little tweaking. Am I missing something here?

Yes. It's a Whitestar game. They're not going to do another run of Whitestar games. The SAM system is practically on its way out. It would have to be re-coded for SAM (or the new system) ...so, that's porting the game to a new system...that's more than "very little tweaking". Also, if it was re-coded for SAM, they'd likely have to remaster all of the audio.

Also, LOTR has far more going on than most Pro models. Releasing a game with "Premium" level features at a price point of their current Pro line won't make their current Pros look very good.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Okay I'm really getting tired of this argument. LOTR is not a premium featured pin....it just isn't. Now maybe a VE edition would be.....after all, all you need to do is add some bling and give it the "premium" moniker and tack on $1500.
I owned LOTR for eight years. Great game. But besides more refined code it really doesn't have much on the likes of MET Pro or ST Pro (I own an ST now and my buddies have MET). What.....more wire? A shaky tower?

Gold ramps, metal sword ramp, gold wireforms, lots of coils for VUKs, locks, kickouts, towers, divertors, etc. Definitely higher BOM than the usual Pro.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

There are a lot of reponses that say it won't/can't happen. The question posed is "if it did, what would you do?" It sounds like a lot of the negative responses are because people think it's impossible. Or you don't care, but you had to jump into this thread just to tell everybody how much you don't care. Kind of just hoping people would stay on topic and address the question.

Nah, it's just that VE speculation is never-ending and redundant and annoying. There are proabably 50 other threads exactly like this. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. Good news is, LOTR exists and you can buy/play one if you'd like.

To your original question...I don't think LOTR coming back would have any bearing on Hobbit sales. LOTR's been around since 2003. Hobbit is brand new. I don't think a re-run of LOTR would sway any sales from Hobbit.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I would love an explanation how this is an answer to my original question

You said LOTR could be an alternative to Hobbit. At the end of the day, the game will speak for itself. If you like one better than the other, you'll get that one. If there's no LOTR VE, LOTR still exists...so you can still choose between LOTR and Hobbit.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

This is why this poll exists :p so we can find out!

Still, the poll doesn't say "INSTEAD"....I don't think anyone planning on buying Hobbit already would be like "Oh - I'm gonna get LOTR instead". People saying LOTR might have zero interest in Hobbit anyway. I'd buy LOTR over Hobbit! ...but I never wanted Hobbit in the first place.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

The poll shows that there is more interest in a vault edition of LOTR at $5k than The Hobbit right now. Whatever peoples reasoning is can be explained by posting in the thread. It's a simple poll. I didn't expect the poll structure would be confusing to some.

It's the premise that's confusing....are you looking for a correlation?

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I just feel like the LOTR market isn't saturated

You feel? LOTR was one of their highest selling games until AC/DC. Guesstimates of how many LOTRs were made are 6000+ They made about 1000 Iron Mans initially...that's why the game was in demand & why the VE was done. Operators & collectors wanted it. Some collectors are crying for a NIB LOTR cuz they just want NIB anything...but is the demand REALLY there? It's doubtful that operators want LOTR again....they already have/had tons. Maybe 100-200 people would put their money where their mouth is, and that's being generous. Stern won't put it back in production with those numbers.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

That same argument was used against the IM VE, but we know how that turned out.

No, you missed my point entirely.

LOTR - TONS made, operators are over it, it's not used in tournaments, prices are "normal".

IM - Not many made, operators wanted it, tournaments wanted it, collectors wanted it, prices were going apeshit.

There was no argument against IMve...all the factors were in place, including Mustang bombing, IM license still being relevant & IM having the cheapest BOM in a Stern ever.

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

How many times do we have to go over this? LOTR doesn't have that many "toys".
1) Sword lock ramp...errr, wireform really.
2) Ring (which is just one circular magnet ala TOTAN)
3) Balrog
4) Tower that pathetically falls over
5) Can we even say the mini-playfield?
That's it. It's already stripped.

Plus divertor, 3 VUKs, a kickout, and plenty of other little tidbits...compare that to IM. IM is a stripped Stern. LOTR isn't.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I think the BOM argument is way overplayed. For a game that's already been designed and engineered, what's the cost of a a few extra toys, coils, and diverters? $100?

You have to remember they have new products to sell - if a remake of an old product is more full than a current Pro, doesn't that make the current Pro price look sketchy? IM totally it in with what today's Pro is...LOTR does not...I guarantee it would be more expensive than a Pro for that reason and others.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Then it won't sell

To you, maybe lol.

Look - if they DO make it - it's because they know it will sell. So after all this crying if they make it and you don't buy it....that's on you.

You could buy one today and enjoy it. You won't have to speculate any further.

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I think you miss the entire point of how/why this would happen. Probably because you own a LOTR so you have a skewed perspective. If you didn't own an LOTR and were trying to get your hands on one, maybe you would understand. I disagree with all of your arguments. But you've worn me out so I'll let other people discuss the topic without my input!

If I didn't have a LOTR & really wanted one - I'd go buy a used one, cuz it exists...VE is pure speculation. My LOTR was a used one. I bought it from a guy selling it on Craigslist. It was dirty as hell with various broken things...I shopped it out & repaired it myself - it's worked almost flawelessly since 2008, which is more than I can say for almost any of my NIB games. Used doesn't = bad. 99% of pinball machines will never be remade or available NIB...so - just like "the good old days", if you want a game - go find one for sale and buy it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-a-5k-lotr-vault-is-released-before-hobbit-what-will-you-get?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.