(Topic ID: 112652)

If a $5k LOTR Vault is released before Hobbit, what will you get?

By YKpinballer

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 172 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by flynnibus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If a $5k LOTR VE released before the Hobbit, which would you get?”

• Hobbit 64 votes
    24%
  • Lord of the Rings 183 votes
    69%
  • Both 20 votes
    7%

(267 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Clams.JPG

There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

Woah!!! Clam down, man. I didn't know I needed a bibliography attached referencing other pinside threads here on the site.

I was speaking only about this thread. A quick page search and you can find out the truth before you make incorrect statements.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

To your original question...I don't think LOTR coming back would have any bearing on Hobbit sales. LOTR's been around since 2003. Hobbit is brand new. I don't think a re-run of LOTR would sway any sales from Hobbit

This is why this poll exists :p so we can find out!

#53 4 years ago

LOTR all day

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I was speaking only about this thread. A quick page search and you can find out the truth before you make incorrect statements.

Than I apologize, but you do need to explain that better. Do you mean incorrect as in this thread or every thread?

#55 4 years ago

Ah shit. I apologize guys. I allowed myself to get roped into drama and I generally try to avoid that here.

Carry on!

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

Than I apologize, but you do need to explain that better. Do you mean incorrect as in this thread or every thread?

Nah just this thread. See my above post. My bad.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

Although the new Hobbit does come out tomorrow.....

From what I understand Hobbit is delayed until late Feb/March. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

This is why this poll exists :p so we can find out!

Still, the poll doesn't say "INSTEAD"....I don't think anyone planning on buying Hobbit already would be like "Oh - I'm gonna get LOTR instead". People saying LOTR might have zero interest in Hobbit anyway. I'd buy LOTR over Hobbit! ...but I never wanted Hobbit in the first place.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Nah just this thread. See my above post. My bad.

I gotcha. I was mainly trying to get across that it's good to be optimistic. Who honestly knows what's coming up next?

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I owned LOTR for eight years. Great game. But besides more refined code it really doesn't have much on the likes of MET Pro or ST Pro (I own an ST now and my buddies have MET). What.....more wire? A shaky tower?

I would take a LOTR over a ST Pro any day of the week. A shaky tower is always better then a shaky ship

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Are you serious?
Passthrough ring
Magnet
upper playfield
2 metal ramps
wireforms
metal sword ball lock
3 vuks
divertor
2 towers
LED ring board
What does ST pro have?
Vengeance
third flipper.......

Everyone is also forgetting the devil bash toy that swings out.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Are you serious?
Passthrough ring
Magnet
upper playfield
2 metal ramps
wireforms
metal sword ball lock
3 vuks
divertor
2 towers
LED ring board
What does ST pro have?
Vengeance
third flipper.......

Are you serious?

Passthrough ring - BFD! Both MET & ST have a magnet which actually throws the ball around.
Magnet

upper playfield - Really? Ball goes over a couple switches? No Flipper.....oh boy I get to nudge!

2 metal ramps - MET = TWO METAL RAMPS & WIREFORMS!! ST = more speed and more flow.
wireforms

metal sword ball lock - These are cool....not $1500 cool....but cool.
3 vuks

divertor - Both MET & ST have diverters...or "electronic gates"

2 towers -
LED ring board

What does ST pro have?

Interactive Vengeance Ship
Better speed & flow.
Better sound quality.
Factory LED's
Free ball return lane behind third flipper
Memory drop target
Magnetic Ball Lock
Super-Speed Ball Kicker Protects Ship & Fires Balls
7 Tri-Colored LED Star Trek Shield Emblem Custom Molded Inserts
Fire Button and Laser-Cut Fire Button Plate
Phaser and Photon Torpedo Feature Controlled By Top-Mounted Fire Button
Third Flipper
2 Electric Gates in Orbit Lanes
Left Eject Kicker Lock

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Still, the poll doesn't say "INSTEAD"....I don't think anyone planning on buying Hobbit already would be like "Oh - I'm gonna get LOTR instead". People saying LOTR might have zero interest in Hobbit anyway. I'd buy LOTR over Hobbit! ...but I never wanted Hobbit in the first place.

The poll shows that there is more interest in a vault edition of LOTR at $5k than The Hobbit right now. Whatever peoples reasoning is can be explained by posting in the thread. It's a simple poll. I didn't expect the poll structure would be confusing to some.

#64 4 years ago

guys guys guys, this is not a pissing contest. The world all knows LOTR is better than Star Trek. Anyone who thinks LOTR is a no big deal game is just talking themselves into a grave.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

The poll shows that there is more interest in a vault edition of LOTR at $5k than The Hobbit right now. Whatever peoples reasoning is can be explained by posting in the thread. It's a simple poll. I didn't expect the poll structure would be confusing to some.

It's the premise that's confusing....are you looking for a correlation?

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Well that's because it's like saying,

Would you rather have a game that's based on the better trilogy, one of the greatest pins of all time, has one of the best rule sets, is a work of art, and has endless replay value, and for almost half the price of a game that's not done, nobody knows if it's any good, and the based on a movie that really failed to capture the imagination of the public.

#67 4 years ago

I don't think a LOTR VE will come out at $5k. The game offers more then any modern Stern Premium.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Well that's because it's like saying,

Would you rather have a game that's based on the better trilogy, one of the greatest pins of all time, has one of the best rule sets, is a work of art, and has endless replay value, and for almost half the price of a game that's not done, nobody knows if it's any good, and the based on a movie that really failed to capture the imagination of the public.

Yeah... it is exactly like saying that...

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

guys guys guys, this is not a pissing contest. The world all knows LOTR is better than Star Trek. Anyone who thinks LOTR is a no big deal game is just talking themselves into a grave.

Never said that LOTR is not a big deal game. It's a great game. It's a perennial top 5 all-time pin.

But it's that mainly due to two things - Great Theme (and theme integration) and great rules! Neither of which make it a "premium" pin.

Hell if we are going to talk "features and toys" nothing touches STTNG (from way back in 93)! Now that was a "premium" pin.

#70 4 years ago

Really they would just have to supply enough whitestar MPUs, as the LE's were all SAM's, I'm sure that would not be hard to do if they wanted to.

I'm surprised this discussion keeps coming up. LOTR come up, I can't imagine there is enough demand, but maybe 500 more would sell. They made enough small runs of TSPP.

Whatever, I've got my loaded up LE, so I'm good!

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

How in the world did I miss that? LOL

If you guys want a NIB LOTR, then I truly hope Stern can deliver for the price your looking for. I completely understand, mines been bolted to the floor for 4 years and still not going anywhere anytime in the near future. Its a great game and everyone should have any opportunity to enjoy it.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

But now finding out that LOTR Vault Edition is a likely Stern release around the same time, (slightly earlier if they're smart) it takes a weight off my shoulders. Damn, I can get a $5kish game instead!

I don't get the impression Stern is doing another VE for a year, and that being LOTR is unlikely IMO.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

From what I understand Hobbit is delayed until late Feb/March. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

I meant the movie (Battle of the Five Armies). The JJP pin doesn't come out until Feb/March. Certainly a gap to take advantage of with JJP's date slip.

#75 4 years ago

I have a brilliant idea

Can't decide between LOTR vs Hobbit?

Wait until Hobbit is done & fully coded. Play the piss out of both LOTR & Hobbit.

Buy the one that's superior

Or

Buy the one that costs less

Maybe LOTR will fit both descriptions, maybe not.

#76 4 years ago

Sure. Stern will release a LOTR VE. It'll just be called Game of Thrones.

#77 4 years ago

5K LOTR VE?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

#78 4 years ago

I would jump on a LOTR VE in a heartbeat for 5k, Unfortunatelly I fear it will be well over the 5k mark. As we have moved passed that price range a while ago for a NIB game and from what I've seen over the years nothing ever goes down when there is a demand. I hope I am wrong because I will put my money down on the first day, guaranteed.

#79 4 years ago

If they come out with a LOTR VE, I will be in line to pick one up!

#81 4 years ago

I'd look for a nice DM or TS instead.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Topper20:

I would jump on a LOTR VE in a heartbeat for 5k, Unfortunatelly I fear it will be well over the 5k mark. As we have moved passed that price range a while ago for a NIB game and from what I've seen over the years nothing ever goes down when there is a demand. I hope I am wrong because I will put my money down on the first day, guaranteed.

Stern has yet to surpass $5k street price on a Pro, I'm still mystified why people keep thinking LOTR has such a huge BOM that it will be automatically priced at Premium levels. It was a pro model built like all other pro models contemporary to it.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Really they would just have to supply enough whitestar MPUs, as the LE's were all SAM's,

The LE's were whitestar MPU's with the newer SAM driverboard (the driverboard looks backwards compatible anyway) The used a new PAL chip allegedly for the SAM driverboard but that was likely just something to try and keep people from using 10.02 code in a non LE game.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Stern has yet to surpass $5k street price on a Pro, I'm still mystified why people keep thinking LOTR has such a huge BOM that it will be automatically priced at Premium levels. It was a pro model built like all other pro models contemporary to it.

I agree, nothing screams premium sized BOM for LOTR.

Mini pf is just plastic, only 2 flippers, no drop targets, one toy.

Now TSPP will never have a vault edition at less than a premium price. 6 flipper assemblies (5 flippers and homers head), drop targets, full wood mini pf etc....

#85 4 years ago

I feel like this poll is aimed at a person like me. I'm planning on buying a LOTR early next year. I love the game and love the theme. TH is obviously the same theme, and from what I've seen, I would probably like the game as well.

As things stand now, I will go for the sure thing and get the LOTR. If a VE comes out for a good price, even better. TH, as it stands now, is not yet a "sure" thing for me.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Or as they said in a Stern team design meeting back in 2003...

Chris Granner & Keith Johnson: "What goes over here?"
George Gomez: "You know, that big red fire guy."
Granner & Johnson: [ARGH!!!] "Dude! That's the BALROG!!!"
Gomez: "Oh, yeah. Whatever. It's the big red fire guy. He goes right here."

True story!

#t=53m44s
(53:44 time stamp)

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from Bellow:

TH, as it stands now, is not yet a "sure" thing for me

For me TH looks awesome, and I think it is a sure thing as far as a hit game. I just feel like the LOTR market isn't saturated so Stern would be smart to offer a VE run and they have an opportunity to release it at a price that will sway people since Hobbit is 8.5-9k.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

The LE's were whitestar MPU's with the newer SAM driverboard (the driverboard looks backwards compatible anyway) The used a new PAL chip allegedly for the SAM driverboard but that was likely just something to try and keep people from using 10.02 code in a non LE game.

Yeah, that's what I meant, just the MPU was whitestar.

To the people saying they won't do it, as they are on to SAM now forget that the LE was done with another 500, and this was after they had already transitioned to SAM for 5 years by 2009 when the LE came out, so I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to crank out another 500 whitestar MPUs in the same manner.

#89 4 years ago

If a LOTR VE was released I'd probably sell or trade my current LOTR for something else to mix things up in my 3 game lineup since I'd be able to buy an NIB or HUO LOTR VE down the road if I regret getting rid of it.

I'm taking a wait and see approach with TH.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I just feel like the LOTR market isn't saturated

You feel? LOTR was one of their highest selling games until AC/DC. Guesstimates of how many LOTRs were made are 6000+ They made about 1000 Iron Mans initially...that's why the game was in demand & why the VE was done. Operators & collectors wanted it. Some collectors are crying for a NIB LOTR cuz they just want NIB anything...but is the demand REALLY there? It's doubtful that operators want LOTR again....they already have/had tons. Maybe 100-200 people would put their money where their mouth is, and that's being generous. Stern won't put it back in production with those numbers.

#91 4 years ago

out of all my pins... LOTR is the least played..

Quoted from kaneda:

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Yeah, that's what I meant, just the MPU was whitestar.
To the people saying they won't do it, as they are on to SAM now forget that the LE was done with another 500, and this was after they had already transitioned to SAM for 5 years by 2009 when the LE came out, so I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to crank out another 500 whitestar MPUs in the same manner.

The first SAM game was in 2006, not 2004, so it was 3 years not 5 but I get your point.

I'm not saying it can't be done just that if they had to choose between two worthy candidates to
make a VE of, it would require less work to redo a SAM system game. Stern obviously is looking
for the easy money with these VE, so a game that requires more work than another is probably
going to get passed over for one that requires basically no work.

LOTR is probably one of my two favourite games yet I've never owned one

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Are you serious?
Passthrough ring - BFD! Both MET & ST have a magnet which actually throws the ball around.
Magnet
upper playfield - Really? Ball goes over a couple switches? No Flipper.....oh boy I get to nudge!
2 metal ramps - MET = TWO METAL RAMPS & WIREFORMS!! ST = more speed and more flow.
wireforms
metal sword ball lock - These are cool....not $1500 cool....but cool.
3 vuks
divertor - Both MET & ST have diverters...or "electronic gates"
2 towers -
LED ring board
What does ST pro have?
Interactive Vengeance Ship
Better speed & flow.
Better sound quality.
Factory LED's
Memory drop target
Magnetic Ball Lock
Super-Speed Ball Kicker Protects Ship & Fires Balls
7 Tri-Colored LED Star Trek Shield Emblem Custom Molded Inserts
Fire Button and Laser-Cut Fire Button Plate
Phaser and Photon Torpedo Feature Controlled By Top-Mounted Fire Button
Third Flipper
2 Electric Gates in Orbit Lanes
Left Eject Kicker Lock

You're absolutely correct. Man, pin manufacturers sure have their customers right where they want them, don't they? Put $75 extra in materials in a game and many think that that justifies a $1500-2k bump in the price. Stern certainly seems to have a lot of people on here brainwashed with their "premium" concept. That's for sure.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

LOTR is probably one of my two favourite games yet I've never owned one

How about:
LOTR is probably one of my two favourite games yet I've sold mine
Needed the cash. Only game worth $$ in my lineup at that time.

#95 4 years ago

I'm saving for my next pin at the moment. I wish we could get some kind of release schedule. Even if it didn't have a hard time line. I would wait for LOTR VE if I knew for sure it was coming out. It's on my top 5 list of pins I wish to own. Otherwise, I may just buy something else when I get the cash together.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from Bricarus:

I'm saving for my next pin at the moment. I wish we could get some kind of release schedule. Even if it didn't have a hard time line. I would wait for LOTR VE if I knew for sure it was coming out. It's on my top 5 list of pins I wish to own. Otherwise, I may just buy something else when I get the cash together.

You raise a good point about saving up. If they do make a LOTR VE, will it be a limited batch or will they keep it open indefinitely. These are big ticket items and not everyone has $5K laying around. Hate to miss out on a LOTR VE due to timing...

#97 4 years ago

Really, lotr le was the first true ve.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Are you serious?

I'm gonna call you out on this one... I don't think I would classify a missing chunk of wood an added feature that should be considered in material value.

#99 4 years ago

Rarehero hit the nail on the head in his last post.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

Rarehero hit the nail on the head in his last post.

I hope he is wrong because I want a NIB LOTR

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 27.50
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Williamson Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Forever
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rogersville, MO
Boards
PinSound
$ 44.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Forever
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Davenport, IA
There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside