(Topic ID: 222178)

Idol lock issue only at cold start (Williams Indy Jones)

By mikoz

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mikoz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi all,

Perhaps a silly term, but by "cold start" I mean that the machine hasn't been played in a few hours... let me explain.

The idol lock fails at "cold start" (meaning it hasn't been used for, say, a couple of hours) as evidenced by the test-report. When this happens, the diag T14 test also confirms it fails and I can see the optos doing some funny stuff and switching erratically and the unit won't advance one position at a time as it should. The motor is fine. The power-up was done with the coin door closed. Once in daig mode and I exercise it, it returns to normal behavior (meaning I can advance it one stop at a time in diags) after about 30 seconds. Once it's normal, it stays normal as long as the machine is "warm"... I can power it off, wait a couple of hours, and come back and it's fine.

I cleaned the optos and they seem fine. That is, they're fine after a few minutes of running.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

#2 5 years ago

I suggest that you change the title of your article to include the game name or at least its initials. I’m guessing that you are talking about Williams Indiana Jones

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I suggest that you change the title of your article to include the game name or at least its initials. I’m guessing that you are talking about Williams Indiana Jones

Yes, sorry, apparently you can't use quotes in the title, it cuts off all text. Sorry about that.

#4 5 years ago

mikoz I seem to remember that this was a common issue for this game, and there is a documented solution. Try searching in this forum and if you can’t find anything post in that forum.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/55#post-4162654

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

mikoz I seem to remember that this was a common issue for this game, and there is a documented solution. Try searching in this forum and if you can’t find anything post in that forum.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/55#post-4162654

Hi, thanks. I couldn't find anything about this particular issue, so I posted in that thread. But, if anything comes to mind, please let me know... thanks!

#6 5 years ago

I am still stuck on this. I have replaced the 8 driver board and the 3-opto boards. No change.

The symptom is that the system generates a test-report with a failing idol assembly. Running T14 (idol test) shows that the lock isn't working and the optos are registering oddly, preventing a lock, but after a few 10's of seconds of trying, it starts magically working.

I did however see a problem during game play so it’s not just a cold start issue it would seem, but it definitely shows up more at cold start and then once I exercise the T14 test a few times, it tends to (mostly) go away. Could it be that the optos aren't getting enough power perhaps at startup? Could this be the power driver board?

I’d appreciate any help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,419.00
$ 29.00
14,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Wanted
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/idol-lock-issue-only-at-cold-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.