• Latest reply 3 years ago by liftmagnet
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5128(1) (resized).JPG
IMG_5292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider liftmagnet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 3 years ago

Just curious if anyone has any new ideas, Same problem with random idol hits. New optos (PBL and Marco), new opto board, new transistor and resistors for that section of the switch matrix. Works perfectly fine in test mode, everything looks ok.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You haven’t added any spotlights or 3rd party illumination products like Pinstadium , have you?

No additional lighting. I have seen other posts with people claiming that the flashers have supposedly caused phantom hits with the idol; so as a test I did disconnect the lower flashers and a couple lights in that area and that had no effect.

I am curious if anyone has the specs for the leds that are used in the opto boards. I think if I can find a led with the same wavelength but with a higher mW output that would help compensate for a 16 year old hazy insert.

1 month later
#33 3 years ago

I had more important things to do and other projects lately so I basicly walked away from this for the past month.

Quoted from phishrace:

Those old optos are transceivers, so same part number for both sides. You weren't mixing optos from Pinball Life and Marco were you? Probably want to keep those in pairs from the same batch.
Have you tried pounding on the playfield during test or gameplay to see if you can trigger it? Cleaning that insert starting with Novus 3 and a q-tip (from the bottom) may help.

The optos are not mixed, I originally had some from Pinball Life but read in a couple of the threads about people having issues with the the ones they got there so I ordered some from Marco witch are currently in the game. The insert I already polished up as well as possible, there is just some bad crazing that nothing short of replacing the insert will fix. I can't find anything loose and banging on the playfield or shaking the machine does not cause any reaction.

Now that I have begun to look at this problem again this is looking like some bizarre software bug, it is 100% repeatable and behaves the same way over many games.

-Ball 1 and 2 Idol will be lit at the beginning of play, it will not trigger until opto is broken and will score 1 idol hit as it should.
-Ball 3 idol will light for less than a second after ball served into shooter lane you will hear the idol audio and the opto will turn off, this is not counted as an idol hit.
-During the entire game a shot into the lower bumpers or the scoop will only light the idol for 1-2 seconds before you hear the Idol audio and the opto truns off, this also will not score an idol hit.
-During muliball the idol will be on an score hits correctly.
-The only time when I am getting extra idol hits scored is during the bonus countdown; it will add a idol hit and then score one more than the number of hits. (ie. upon draining you have 5 idol hits, when the bonus countdown starts it will always add one extra and you will hear the idol noise, the display will then tell you that you had 7 idol hits even though it only added one, beginning of the next ball it will display that you have had 6 idol hits.)

Hopefully I was clear enough in my explanation, but as I said all of this is 100% repeatable and not random at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider liftmagnet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/idol-constantly-triggering-on-rbion?tu=liftmagnet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.