• Latest reply 3 years ago by liftmagnet
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5128(1) (resized).JPG
IMG_5292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider akm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I'm trying to figure out why my idol is constantly triggering on its own on my RBION. I have read old threads about the topic, and it seems the most common cause is the window the optos shoot through gets dirty. I took the under playfield magnet and opto off, cleaned the window and opto, and it's still giving me the same problem. How common is it for the the idol/opto board to go bad? I can't think of much else that would be wrong, when I try to cut the opto connection manually (by hand) it seems like they register properly. Here's a video of the issue in action:

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll see what optos cost, and depending, I might try to replace those first. I've been playing with the wires disconnected and fortunately the game knows to compensate for it (the far left, lower tombstone will count as an idol hit and activate the magnet).

Since it's been mentioned, I do actually have an issue with the head opto. Although, I'm not sure if it's the opto or not--sometimes the ball will get stuck up there after hitting a lit head mode (the magnet doesn't activate and the ball sits up there). Not a huge deal, a quick slap on the side of the machine fixes it. Still, it wouldn't hurt to fix that too.

1 month later
#9 9 years ago
Quoted from RoadRunner:

Lifting up an older thread. Did this get solved? The reason Im asking is that Im about to get a RBION with same kind of failure.

Not yet. I ended up blowing my flipper transistors about a month and a half ago and so my game has been out of commission since (hopefully should be back up soon once I order some new flipper coils). The tombstone was compensating for the Idol area when I disconnected the opto boards. Doing some of the recommendations posted earlier in the thread didn't help my situation. I am probably going to take the route of picking up a new opto board, they don't seem to be too expensive. Although, I am going to give that paper trick a shot to make sure the opto beams are lining up properly.

1 year later
#13 8 years ago

Sorry I never got back to this. I ended up replacing the opto board as well as the opto under the magnet (I didn't touch the one above the playfield, too hard to get to). It ended up fixing the issue.

The problem may have even just been the opto itself, but I replaced it and the board at the same time since it was cheap. The opto glowed much, much brighter after replacing it.

1 year later
#19 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Thanks for info! I thought it would not be the opto's because they work great during test mode. I wonder why the difference? Where did you order the opto with the leads? Marco's is sold out.
Thanks!

The opto will still test fine, but start screwing up during gameplay. I had a second RBION recently and it had the same problem. Opto replacement fixed it just like on my first machine. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with a dim opto beam (it was like that on both my machines before replacing), but when you put in a new one it will shine nice and bright under the idol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 45.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider akm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/idol-constantly-triggering-on-rbion?tu=akm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.