Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Astill
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

All this time I thought the 17 was like the 100

Indeed it is the same.

and the 35 was like the 200. I just found out that is not true. About the only difference between the 17 and the 35 is the number of pins on the J5 connector. (32 vs 33).

There is fundamentally a bigger difference between Bally -17 and -35 boards. The -35 boards support double the amount of ROM capacity which was needed when their games became more complex. Lost World was the first -35 game. This was done by using a previously unused CPU address line in the ROM mix. The extra pin at J5 is that address line (A14).

My question is did Bally ever make a board comparable to the Stern MPU 200?

Bally never made a board with dual battery backed RAM.
    Other differences are MPU-200 ran a reset signal to the J4 connector pin 13 that ran to the cabinet slam switches allowing them to remove the slam tilt switch from the switch matrix, an interrupt line was run to J4 pin 11 that was used with their speech board.
    Other big difference is the CPU on the MPU-200 boards was run at nearly twice the speed of the Bally-35 board. Stern developed a high level programming language requiring the extra CPU speed.

Note there was a 4th type of Bally MPU board at the end of the run and used on Fireball Classic and Cybernaut. The 6800 CPU was replaced with a 6802, it had a socket for 2764 EPROM and the battery backed RAM was higher capacity. See here:
    http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_6802.html

#4 4 years ago

So would the -35 be backwards compatible to the -17 (and MPU-100)?

It could be provided you format the ROMs correctly. I've never entertained this downgrade but you would have to program EPROMs accordingly by putting the -17 ROM code into the correct areas of EPROM.
    PinWiki discusses the data structure of the ROMs here though it mostly relates to -35 setup:
    https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Jumper.2FROM_Info

Could I replace all the ICs (including the ROMs) from a -17 into a working -35?

Besides the ROMs yes. The type of ROMs will determine if you just need jumper changes or to reprogram replacement EPROMs.

Looks to me that the MPU-200 is also a bit of an oddball. No other boards are interchangable?

Other than reproduction boards, no. The MPU-200 is the more powerful of the lot. Double CPU speed. Double battery backed RAM. Double the ROM capacity of a MPU-100 (but same as Bally-35 boards).

#7 4 years ago

My thought was if he has a MPU problem I could just send him a rebuilt board and he could change out the IC's and be up and running.

But you've fixed all his MPU boards and they're 150% so shouldn't fail right
    Since you're getting an EPROM programmer you could just send him complete MPU boards that will plug'n'play.
    The less he does to the suspect boards (by not removing chips) the better the chance you have of seeing any problem.

but was wondering what to do with the -35's I just acquired.

The huge number of Bally-35 games produced should present opportunity to use those boards.

2 years later
    #12 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnsarcade:

Can i Swap the the program chips to a Bally MPU AS-2518-17 From a Power Play

You will have to make modifications to the -17 board to make it function like a -35 board. Bally released a service bulletin: F.O. 597 describing the modifications which are rather heavy - note this is for 9316 PROMs only, not 2716/2732 EPROMs.

The service bulletin is attached in this post:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-a-bally-17-to-35-mpu-with-fo597-service-bulletin#post-3061345

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

consider a weebly mpu.

+1
    It comes with some custom ROMs for other games and has the hardware ability to help upgrade to 7-digit displays if your scores get good enough

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/identifying-bally-stern-mpu-boards?tu=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.