60 days ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 60 days ago

It seems the more I learn the less I know. I haven’t worked on many Bally games but I’m familiar with Stern games. Stern has two boards – MPU 100 and MPU 200. Easiest way for me to identify between them is the 200 has U13.

Bally has three boards – AS-2518-17 – AS-2518-35 and AS-2518-133. The 133 is an oddball only used in a few games so I’m not too concerned about it.

All this time I thought the 17 was like the 100 and the 35 was like the 200. I just found out that is not true. About the only difference between the 17 and the 35 is the number of pins on the J5 connector. (32 vs 33). My question is did Bally ever make a board comparable to the Stern MPU 200?

Thanks

Bob

#3 59 days ago
    Quoted from Quench:

This was done by using a previously unused CPU address line in the ROM mix. The extra pin at J5 is that address line (A14).

So would the -35 be backwards compatible to the -17 (and MPU-100)?

Could I replace all the ICs (including the ROMs) from a -17 into a working -35?

Looks to me that the MPU-200 is also a bit of an oddball. No other boards are interchangable?

Thanks

Bob

#6 59 days ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Besides the ROMs yes. The type of ROMs will determine if you just need jumper changes or to reprogram replacement EPROMs.

The reason for such a strange question is my good friend has several games - mostly Stern's and mostly MPU-100's. He's a pinball player and collector - not a pinball repair person. My thought was if he has a MPU problem I could just send him a rebuilt board and he could change out the IC's and be up and running. I just scored a few Bally boards (-17's and -35's). Reprogramming EPROMs and changing jumpers would be out of his ability. I have a couple of MPU-100's and a Bally -17 in case he needs them but was wondering what to do with the -35's I just acquired.

Quoted from slochar:

Note that weebly.com sells kits to let you make the -17 and -35 boards -200 compatible.
    https://nvram.weebly.com/repair--conversion-kits.html

Thanks slochar, I have never seen that kit before. And thanks to Andrew for making it. That looks like a great idea. I have a Meteor game in my shop at present. It works fine but I think I'll get one of those kits and convert one of my -35's just to see how well it works.

Thanks for the lead.

Bob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 339.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside