Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gtown
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_4012 (resized).png
    image-30 (resized).jpg
    cab8 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_4011 (resized).png
    image-10 (4) (resized).jpg
    image-3 (1) (resized).jpg
    Full_View (resized).jpg
    Backglass (resized).jpg
    image-21 (resized).jpg
    image-10 (resized).jpg
    image-2 (5) (resized).jpg
    image-4 (5) (resized).jpg
    image-1 (15) (resized).jpg
    Backglass (12) (resized).jpg
    Backglass2 (1) (resized).jpg
    image-1 (16) (resized).jpg
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 7 years ago

I know this is a rather long shot, but when I was quite little, my parents had a pinball machine. I loved it. I wasn't older than 4 or 5 when they finally got rid of it as it was starting to need repairs more frequently and my uncle who had previously done the repairs no longer lived nearby. I've asked my parents, but they can't remember. Nor can my older brother or uncle who used to repair it.

Sadly, other than remembering all the fun I had playing it, I cannot remember what machine it was. I believe I remember the cabinet was primarily blue, but I have no idea how accurate this memory is. Being so young when they got rid of the table, combined with decades of playing many other pinball machines and some time in college killing brain cells, a lot of tables have blended together. I've forgotten about many tables until I get in front of one and suddenly can remember it. Judging by the fact I know my parents wouldn't have gotten it new, and probably got it from a local arcade when they were looking to get rid of it, I would guess early to mid 70's. My mom says it might have even been late '60s. I've tried looking for somewhere that has pictures of pinball machines of these times to try and spark my memory, but I've not been successful.

My sister did give me a hint about checking old photo albums for pictures that have the table in them, which would definitely identify the table, and I hope to get a chance to go through my mom's old photos soon, but in the meantime, I'm hoping someone here might know where I can find some pictures of tables from the era that might get me to an answer sooner.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

#2 7 years ago

Try ipdb.org

You can do advanced searches that can be filtered by year. Tons of pictures.

Good luck!

#3 7 years ago

Blue as a base coat was not incredibly common, but you'll have to comb through lots of pictures to find it.

Was the cabinet head shaped like a wedge, pointing down to the body by any chance?

#4 7 years ago

if you could recall number of players that could help narrow it down as well

#5 7 years ago

I want to say it was a 2 player machine, but the memories of a 4 year old, 30 years after the fact are rather vague. I'm fairly certain it was a multiplayer though. But it might have been that we just took turns playing too.

As for being wedge shaped, I can't be certain, but I want to say it wasn't.

#6 7 years ago

sing along or melody have "blue" cabs

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Blue as a base coat was not incredibly common

No way of knowing if it was repainted.

LTG : )

#8 7 years ago

Try Gottlieb Duotron

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No way of knowing if it was repainted.

Good call.

Quoted from pinhead52:

sing along or melody have "blue" cabs

Yeah, that's where I was going.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Try ipdb.org
    You can do advanced searches that can be filtered by year. Tons of pictures.
    Good luck!

So, for example, here is a list of games from '65-'75 with more than 100 produced, sorted by the highest production numbers:
    http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?yr=1965-1975&prd=%3E100&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

#11 7 years ago

Got some more information from my mother today. She's going to see if she can at least dig out the photo albums for the time period for me to look through if she doesn't get to it first. Apparently we got it around 1976, so it will definitely pre-date that. It was donated to the Jaycees from a local arcade for an auction which is how my parents ended up with it. She thinks it was an older table, most likely from the '60s. So I'm going to try narrowing my search down to '65-69 and see if I can't spark a memory. Or find a picture of the old table.

Thank you all for your help so far.

#12 7 years ago

Perhaps you can provide the names of your parents and I can check too see if either of their names are carved into the cabinet/head of any of my games.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Perhaps you can provide the names of your parents and I can check too see if either of their names are carved into the cabinet/head of any of my games.

This reply has been condemned by Good Housekeeping

#14 7 years ago

King rex . Seems like a long shot due to numbers.

#15 7 years ago

Nip It. Its blue, the Fonz liked it.

#16 7 years ago

OK, I got the chance to talk to my brother who is currently teaching overseas and picked his brain about it as well as getting what my mom could remember about it.

My mom said they got it from a Jaycees auction in either '75 or '76 and thought it was already an old game, probably from the '60s. She believes it was donated by Kline's Amusements, an old local arcade in town, or possibly the other that I'd never heard of until today and already forgot the name of. They got it for either $35 or $50 and when they eventually sold it in the '80s when I was little, they got $75 for it. I'm not sure if those prices would help any with identifying which table, but figured I'd put them out there. I can't remember exactly when they sold it, but I don't think I was more than 4 or 5 which would be around '86-87, though my mom thought we had it for about 15 years which would put it in the '90s which seems too late. It all is mostly blurred together, so I can't say for certain when they got rid of it.

My brother believes it was a two player game, though there's a chance it might have been a 4 player. Each player had 3 dials for their score and when you hit 1000, the one would light up and the dials would reset to 0. It was a nickel to play and he thinks 5 balls per play. Free game was at 700 points and he thinks an extra free game every 100 points after that. It would light a random number at the end of your game and if you matched, you got a free game. He says it made a popping noise when you got a free game, but I'm assuming it was more of the standard knock, but I can't remember.

Armed with this, I'm going to check some of the suggestions here that I haven't checked yet and then try narrowing down some searches on IPDB.

Thank you all so much.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Haha, they never would have carved them. My brother maybe, but not my parents. Not sure if either of them ever actually played it. I'm assuming my dad must have a bit when we first got it as my brother would only have been about 5, though he's probably the one that's played it the most. If they would have kept it so I'd have had more years to play it, I easily would have gotten more time on the table.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgarath:

Each player had 3 dials for their score and when you hit 1000, the one would light up and the dials would reset to 0. It was a nickel to play and he thinks 5 balls per play.

Most definitely, due to the scoring you describe
    a pin from the early to mid 60s.
    Last Single player with 1000s with back lit numbering was King of Diamonds from 1967
    and multiplayer pin with same style scoring was Mayfair from 1966.
    In 1970 most MFRs were transitioning from 4 digit scoring to 5 digits
    and it was almost complete (to 5 digits) by end of 1971.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Most definitely, due to the scoring you describe
    a pin from the early to mid 60s.
    Last Single player with 1000s with back lit numbering was King of Diamonds from 1967
    In 1970 most MFRs were transitioning from 4 digit scoring to 5 digits
    and it was almost complete (to 5 digits) by end of 1971.

Could also be a Bally, they used backlit numbering for a while as well. Williams too?

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgarath:

It was a nickel to play and he thinks 5 balls per play. Free game was at 700 points and he thinks an extra free game every 100 points after that. It would light a random number at the end of your game and if you matched, you got a free game. He says it made a popping noise when you got a free game, but I'm assuming it was more of the standard knock, but I can't remember.
    Armed with this, I'm going to check some of the suggestions here that I haven't checked yet and then try narrowing down some searches on IPDB.
    Thank you all so much.

Unfortunately, this is something nearly EVERY machine does (well at least we know it's not an add-a-ball ), so it's going to be difficult if you can't think of anything else, even little details. Regardless, I've had good luck just scrolling down IPDB and looking at pictures to identify games that people have posted vague pictures/ideas about.

Do you remember the manufacturer? The big names are Gottlieb, Bally, and Williams.

#21 7 years ago

2-player Gottliebs with 3-reel "light up 1,000" scoring. If it was a woodrail then we have a ton more possibilities...

Backglass (11) (resized).jpgBackglass (11) (resized).jpg

image-1 (13) (resized).jpgimage-1 (13) (resized).jpg

image-1 (14) (resized).jpgimage-1 (14) (resized).jpg

image-1 (12) (resized).jpgimage-1 (12) (resized).jpg

image-2 (4) (resized).jpgimage-2 (4) (resized).jpg

image-1 (10) (resized).jpgimage-1 (10) (resized).jpg

Backglass (10) (resized).jpgBackglass (10) (resized).jpg

image-1 (11) (resized).jpgimage-1 (11) (resized).jpg

image-2 (3) (resized).jpgimage-2 (3) (resized).jpg

Backglass (9) (resized).jpgBackglass (9) (resized).jpg

image-1 (9) (resized).jpgimage-1 (9) (resized).jpg

Backglass (8) (resized).jpgBackglass (8) (resized).jpg

Backglass (7) (resized).jpgBackglass (7) (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Last was November '66 "Dancing Lady" although with decagon reels - Mayfair was July '66.

Here are the 4-player Gottlieb contenders, if you think it may be a Bally or Williams let me know:

image-1 (17) (resized).jpgimage-1 (17) (resized).jpg

image-1 (16) (resized).jpgimage-1 (16) (resized).jpg

Backglass2 (1) (resized).jpgBackglass2 (1) (resized).jpg

Backglass (12) (resized).jpgBackglass (12) (resized).jpg

image-1 (15) (resized).jpgimage-1 (15) (resized).jpg

image-4 (5) (resized).jpgimage-4 (5) (resized).jpg

image-2 (5) (resized).jpgimage-2 (5) (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

Your Brother (older I assume) has a pretty good memory of the game. Perhaps if he saw pics
    himself of machines (especially the playing surface which is what he was consentrating on while
    playing), may bring back other memories. On a hunch, I'm guessing it was a 1961-1963, but
    maybe up to 1965. Keep us posted on other additional info. Good luck.. (T)

#24 7 years ago

I'll take a stab at it based on the very limited description; Bally "Vampire".
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2716&picno=2589

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgarath:

Sadly, other than remembering all the fun I had playing it, I cannot remember what machine it was. I believe I remember the cabinet was primarily blue

Can you remember if it had stainless trim on the cabinet, or could of it been a Wood Rail pin?

#26 7 years ago

Vampire does fit the description, but in a later post, he got word that the machine had 3 digits per player
    and a 1 lit once a thousand points was reached. Also a nickle a play, so sounds like an earlier 60s machine..
    Almost certain a multi player which does narrow it down, but still quite a few early/mid 60s multis out there..

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Vampire does fit the description, but in a later post, he got word that the machine had 3 digits per player
    and a 1 lit once a thousand points was reached. Also a nickle a play, so sounds like an earlier 60s machine..
    Almost certain a multi player which does narrow it down, but still quite a few early/mid 60s multis out there..

OK, then I'll take another shot in the dark; Gottlieb "Seven Seas". http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2102&picno=7499&zoom=1

#28 7 years ago

Oh wow you guys. I didn't think I'd be getting this much help/interest in trying to figure this out.

Quoted from Otaku:

Unfortunately, this is something nearly EVERY machine does (well at least we know it's not an add-a-ball ), so it's going to be difficult if you can't think of anything else, even little details. Regardless, I've had good luck just scrolling down IPDB and looking at pictures to identify games that people have posted vague pictures/ideas about.
    Do you remember the manufacturer? The big names are Gottlieb, Bally, and Williams.

I know it's something all games do, but I was able to say that a couple of games weren't it just because they would be at 800 or 1000 and not 700. I'm not sure if it was every 100 points after, and he wasn't certain on that point either, but was fairly sure it was at 700. I am drawing a complete blank on manufacturer, even though I'm sure it was plastered all over the place. The thing that I didn't know about was the popping sound he was talking about. I don't remember ever hearing something other than a standard "knock" but if there were a few tables that did something different, I thought it could narrow it down dramatically.

Quoted from Mopar:

Your Brother (older I assume) has a pretty good memory of the game. Perhaps if he saw pics
    himself of machines (especially the playing surface which is what he was consentrating on while
    playing), may bring back other memories. On a hunch, I'm guessing it was a 1961-1963, but
    maybe up to 1965. Keep us posted on other additional info. Good luck.. (T)

Yes, my brother is 10 years older than me and he was probably about 5 when they got it and I was anywhere from 4-10 (I think closer to 4 or 5) when my parents sold it, which put him between 14 and 20, so he got to play it for about 10-15 years and does remember it better than I. I'm almost certain it was sold before he had graduated high school. Probably around the time they bought him a Commodore64. I played it a lot, but I can't remember much from being that young. I had sent my brother a link to the pinball database and he was trying to look at tables while his students were busy, but it was a bit overwhelming as I don't think he had tried using the advance search to narrow it down.

Quoted from Darcy:

Can you remember if it had stainless trim on the cabinet, or could of it been a Wood Rail pin?

I want to say it was metal rails. My mom remembers that it had silver legs, though I'm not sure if that would narrow it down or if they were even original legs. Before we got it, it was from an arcade and from what I understand, upkeep wasn't something arcades did a lot of, so they're probably original?

Quoted from Otaku:

2-player Gottliebs with 3-reel "light up 1,000" scoring. If it was a woodrail then we have a ton more possibilities...

I had seen some of those backglasses on the database and some of them looked familiar, but there's several that look quite similar and nothing that jumped out at me as an "OMG! That's definitely IT!" unfortunately. I'll have to show my brother those and see if he has better luck with remembering. Some of them had things on the playfield that I didn't think were on ours, but I really can't remember the playfield at all, so I couldn't say for sure.

I dug through all of the albums at my parents house and couldn't find a single picture of the pinball machine. With as much as we played it, I find that really hard to believe. Probably used Polaroids when taking pics with the pinball machine and those didn't usually go into the photo albums. I'll have to ask my sister if she has any photo albums from back then of pictures she took with her camera.

You guys (and possibly girls, I wasn't checking profiles) are great! I'll definitely let you know if any of these tables you've suggested are a match to his memory.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgarath:

I know it's something all games do, but I was able to say that a couple of games weren't it just because they would be at 800 or 1000 and not 700. I'm not sure if it was every 100 points after, and he wasn't certain on that point either, but was fairly sure it was at 700. I am drawing a complete blank on manufacturer, even though I'm sure it was plastered all over the place. The thing that I didn't know about was the popping sound he was talking about. I don't remember ever hearing something other than a standard "knock" but if there were a few tables that did something different, I thought it could narrow it down dramatically.

The score-based replay feature on all machines is operator adjustable, meaning the score it gives the replay at can be anything from 100 to 1,000 (or possibly more), all depending on what the person before you set it at, rather than a factory specification per title.

#30 7 years ago

Here's IPDB listing for every multiplayer metal-rail game that used the light-up 1,000 scoring. Do you remember if it had wooden rails? If it did, then that opens up a whole new realm, the big cross over to metal rail games for all companies was circa 1960, so probably unlikely. The lists include a few extra on both ends, both into the woodrail era and ahead into when all 4 reels were used, as they were in the same date range.

Williams (1960-1964):

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=413&yr=1960-1964&pl=2-4&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

Gottlieb (1960-1966):

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=410&yr=1960-1966&pl=2-4&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

Bally (1963 - 1964):

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=412&yr=1963-1964&pl=2-4&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

remember if it had wooden rails?

Didn't most wood rails also have wooden legs?

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Didn't most wood rails also have wooden legs?

Games after a certain time used metal legs on woodrail games, it was from like 1956 - 1960 (the end) or something like that. Obviously dependent on each manufacturer.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgarath:

Oh wow you guys. I didn't think I'd be getting this much help/interest in trying to figure this out.

A good majority of EM guys like trivia. Finding out a game, is just small part of the hunt. If you can even get a grainy photo, some one here should be able to figure out which game it is. Unless it was repainted.

#34 7 years ago

Any memory of the possible gals that were on the back glass?

#35 7 years ago

Forwarded the backglass images of the 2 player Gottliebs that match the specs to my brother, he says ours was similar, but wasn't one of those.

#36 7 years ago

Any kind of small recollection from your brother? Literally anything about something on the playing field may be able to aid us - especially if it's unique or uniquely placed.

#37 7 years ago

Did it have any gobble holes?

#38 7 years ago

I didn't remember any gobble holes and my brother confirmed it didn't have any. I can't recall anything special on the table. I can't even remember if there's a center post between the flippers. I keep forgetting to ask my brother about it.

#39 7 years ago

What about backbox animation?

#40 7 years ago

Find out if the ball ejected automatically or if you had to push in a bar to get the ball into the shooter lane. That would cut the 60, decade in half.

Here is one that has a lot of blue

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2534&picno=12734

#41 7 years ago

Recently seen a blue coloured pin. Chicago Coin Gin. As in Gin Rummy, a card theme game from 1974.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgarath:

I didn't remember any gobble holes and my brother confirmed it didn't have any. I can't recall anything special on the table. I can't even remember if there's a center post between the flippers. I keep forgetting to ask my brother about it.

THE BACK GLASS ART. Surely there was something there that may have captivated you and/or your brother. Doesn't sound like the game play had ya coming back. Think 'ladies'.

#43 7 years ago

Playing cards?
    Cowboys?
    Spaceships?
    Cars?
    Elephants?
    Horses?
    Indians?

Zipper-flippers (flippers that moved together to close their gap)?
    A post between the flippers?
    Rotating target?
    A word to spell?

#44 7 years ago

Heh. Trying to find a game from your childhood memory is fun. Back when I was 2-3 years old, I remember my babysitter had a pinball machine in their basement. All I remember from it was that it had people riding or driving some kind of vehicle in the sand on the backbox.

I eventually found it. Good luck with your searching!

image-10 (resized).jpgimage-10 (resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

What about backbox animation?

I don't recall any animation. Considering the age of the machine, I wouldn't expect any either.

Quoted from cantbfrank:

Find out if the ball ejected automatically or if you had to push in a bar to get the ball into the shooter lane. That would cut the 60, decade in half.
    Here is one that has a lot of blue
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2534&picno=12734

I believe the ball ejected automatically since I'm not sure what bar you're talking about pushing. I'll double check with my brother.

Quoted from presqueisle:

THE BACK GLASS ART. Surely there was something there that may have captivated you and/or your brother. Doesn't sound like the game play had ya coming back. Think 'ladies'.

I loved the gameplay. Trouble is, despite when my mom thinks we got rid of it, I was about 3 or 4 when they sold it, so I wasn't all that interested in the artwork. I loved playing it, not looking at it. But it's been so long and I was so young and I've played so many machines in between and my memory isn't that great to begin with, that I just can't remember the table. I get brief moments when I can picture it, but it's gone before I can do anything about it.

Quoted from jeffc:

Playing cards?
    Cowboys?
    Spaceships?
    Cars?
    Elephants?
    Horses?
    Indians?
    Zipper-flippers (flippers that moved together to close their gap)?
    A post between the flippers?
    Rotating target?
    A word to spell?

As for theme, I can't remember.

Zipper-flippers are a no. I just saw a table the other day with them and thought they were pretty cool and had never seen them before.
    I asked about the center post and my brother doesn't remember there being one there, but isn't certain.
    I don't remember any rotating targets or anything to spell, I'll check with my brother.

Quoted from woody24:

Heh. Trying to find a game from your childhood memory is fun. Back when I was 2-3 years old, I remember my babysitter had a pinball machine in their basement. All I remember from it was that it had people riding or driving some kind of vehicle in the sand on the backbox.
    I eventually found it. Good luck with your searching!

That is awesome and gives me hope. Though remembering the backglass does make it easier to find again.

I'll try and pick my brother's brain some more and toss another line to my sister to see if we can't remember some more.

Thank you all.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgarath:

I believe the ball ejected automatically since I'm not sure what bar you're talking about pushing. I'll double check with my brother.

Gottlieb's "Dancing Lady", the last game to use the light-up 1,000 scoring, was the first to implement the automatic ball lift. So one of them doesn't check out, or it's not a Gottlieb. Not sure how soon Williams or Bally implemented the automatic ball lift but I can tell you it was definitely towards the end of the light-up 1,000 scoring as well or they didn't even crossover at all. So it almost has to be one or the other (meaning you're remembering one of those two things wrong at least), or it REALLY narrows it down.

Quoted from Gorgarath:

I don't recall any animation. Considering the age of the machine, I wouldn't expect any either.

The early 60's games had a ton of animation (things like models of people controlled by solenoids, not actual "animation" art per se), more than the later games. Probably a cost saving measure.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Gottlieb's "Dancing Lady", the last game to use the light-up 1,000 scoring, was the first to implement the automatic ball lift. So one of them doesn't check out, or it's not a Gottlieb. Not sure how soon Williams or Bally implemented the automatic ball lift but I can tell you it was definitely towards the end of the light-up 1,000 scoring as well or they didn't even crossover at all. So it almost has to be one or the other (meaning you're remembering one of those two things wrong at least), or it REALLY narrows it down.

The early 60's games had a ton of animation (things like models of people controlled by solenoids, not actual "animation" art per se), more than the later games. Probably a cost saving measure.

My brother is certain on the light up scoring, so I'd say that one is accurate. I'll ask about the ball lift.
    We never really cared much as to who made it I think, I know I didn't back then.
    I figured you didn't mean actual animation, but I figured they didn't start that until the late '60s or early '70s.

Edit>> IPDB says that this was the first Gotllieb to institute automatic ball lift, but it was already in use by Bally, Chicago Coin, and Williams. So might not narrow it down much.
    I
    Edit2>> It also shows the triple coin chute. I'm not sure if ours had 1 or 2, but pretty certain not 3.

#48 7 years ago

Ball lift is a plunger below the shooter rod that lifts the ball into the lane. You push it in. At least on Gottlieb. You can see it here on Cross Town.

image-21 (resized).jpgimage-21 (resized).jpg

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Ball lift is a plunger below the shooter rod that lifts the ball into the lane. You push it in. At least on Gottlieb. You can see it here on Cross Town.

Basically instead of the start start button on later machines, you have the second rod... That is vaguely familiar, though not sure from other machines or ours.

My sister says she can't really remember, but there's "some loopy thing" on the side. Your guess is as good as mine... lol

#50 7 years ago

Sorry for the double post, but didn't want to tack this on to the last post as an edit.

I sent my sister the picture of Cross Town and she says that wasn't ours, but it did have the second plunger and that Cross Town looks very similar to ours.

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/identifying-a-pin-from-childhood-memory and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.