• Latest reply 3 years ago by donjagra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

InkedIMG_0456_LI (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I am working on an Amazing Spider Man restoration. Why would someone create this hack connection between the power supply and driver board? Also note, the unattached red/white colored wire. If I disconnect the hack, I cannot tell any difference in starting a game - boots to attract mode, game will start. I do have some switches not registering that I need to track down.

Thanks

InkedIMG_0456_LI (resized).jpgInkedIMG_0456_LI (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

That's a ground mod.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

That's a ground mod.

Gottlieb system 1 and 80 series didn’t have grounded boards, the only exception being Alien Star. This lack of grounded boards caused electrical shorts in games. It’s a recommenced modification per pinwiki.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

That's a ground mod.

Albeit, poorly done.

Exposed wire shouldn't be left swinging in the wind.

That should be spliced and heatshrinked properly, or the whole wire should be redone. I'd probably redo it.

#5 3 years ago

The dude who did it couldn't scramble up ONE lousy foot & a half piece of wire, he had to splice three different scraps together, one of them only an inch long? And then just solder it to a capacitor lead and a top trace right in the middle of the board and no insulation on anything. GeeeEEEzzz!!

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

The dude who did it couldn't scramble up ONE lousy foot & a half piece of wire, he had to splice three different scraps together, one of them only an inch long? And then just solder it to a capacitor lead and a top trace right in the middle of the board and no insulation on anything. GeeeEEEzzz!!

I was thinking he used boards that already had ground mods from different machines and the ground wires were too short for this machine, hence the jumper to connect.

#7 3 years ago

There is also an red/orange wire coming off one the top saucer gi lights That is not connected to anything. Have no idea what that is.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Clay's guide recommend soldering to the cap and the trace in the middle of the board. It doesn't recommend using a bunch of wire scraps.

I cringe a little when I read a for sale add on a system 80 that includes the phrase "ground mods done." This is what they are talking about.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Clay's guide recommend soldering to the cap and the trace in the middle of the board. It doesn't recommend using a bunch of wire scraps.
I cringe a little when I read a for sale add on a system 80 that includes the phrase "ground mods done." This is what they are talking about.

I've only done it once and used the guide, on my BH, but where I was able to I made the connections using lugs at ends of the wires and then bolted them on (two on power board ground plate and one at center of CPU board). Figured if I ever needed to pull a board to repair something, the bolted connections would make it easier. Luckily I have never needed to do that anyway. But I guess would be just as good to solder all the wires but add connectors to the wires so you can unplug them.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Gottlieb system 1 and 80 series didn’t have grounded boards, the only exception being Alien Star. This lack of grounded boards caused electrical shorts in games. It’s a recommenced modification per pinwiki.

It's not that the boards weren't grounded, it's that the ground goes through the connectors. Most manufacturer's used a grounding plate and ground thought the screws that hold the board in place. Because the connectors are unreliable in these games, pinball folklore suggests that the best way to improve reliability is to solder a bunch of extra wires to add more paths to ground.

Gottlieb built some amazing games, but they had a tendency to overbuild and created some unique issues that aren't in other games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/identify-this-hack?hl=luzur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.