4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Don_C
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A3469BE0-655A-4CAB-8DE8-82F0B5D79315 (resized).jpeg
    7BB491DA-98F1-4851-9056-A01561E6333D (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Anyone have any ideas on how I could safely replicate this before I put it back out into the world? I keep thinking plaster of Paris, but I’m a little unsure since there’s probably better products these days??? Mostly worried about the paint. I’m just trying to make a mold I can cast into brass or some metal later.

A3469BE0-655A-4CAB-8DE8-82F0B5D79315 (resized).jpegA3469BE0-655A-4CAB-8DE8-82F0B5D79315 (resized).jpeg7BB491DA-98F1-4851-9056-A01561E6333D (resized).jpeg7BB491DA-98F1-4851-9056-A01561E6333D (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

I’m thinking “Magic Sand”

#3 4 years ago

Aluminum is probably better. just need cans.

#4 4 years ago

A silicone mold is the only way to go. Use Dow "J" or "M" base / catalyst to get a resilient mold. You may need to do two molds, one a positive the other negative. Should be able to produce approx. 40 metal pieces from a good mold before quality begins to suffer, the detail is amazing.
    The original part must be cleaned to remove all wax, there is an aerosol "Safe Solvent" designed to remove silicone but will work in this application. This is also a Dow Product but under a new nomenclature since they bought out Dow Corning.
    After cleaning it is sprayed with several light coats of silicone release spray and allowed to dry before positioning the piece in a slightly larger box. The well mixed 2-part rubber is then poured in. Sometimes it helps to leave the mold in a vacuum chamber or vacuum-bag it while curing to remove bubbles.
    There is plenty of how-to videos out there on mold making, my advice would be pay for the superior materials. We are talking 2- 1-pound Kits.

#5 4 years ago

Here's an idea for replication: Reach into your wallet. Remove $75. Send it to Pinball Life. Duplicate made!

https://www.pinballlife.com/nip-it-alligator-plastic.html

Don C.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ideas-for-replicating-ballygator?hl=pinballgurus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.