image.jpg
Mb_tom_arabian.jpg
theatre_led_d.jpg
ToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpg
ToM.jpg
ToM_exam.jpg
tom_leds.png
#1 11 years ago

No easy answer on this...but I know ToM looks great with LEDs. I just can't figure out what I should get for it. I hate to just be boring and order the CoinTaker kit, but am open to any suggestions from current (or past) Theatre owners!

#2 11 years ago

Have you played a TOM that has LEDs? Mine came with it and it was horrible because there are many times where all the inserts would flash or go off all at once and with LEDs you lose track of the ball and its really hard on the eyes in general. Some games can pull LEDs off but all of JPOP's games they don't work at all in my opinion and just look pretty in attract mode only. Again maybe I am just being overly sensitive but I favor playability over pretty looks.

#3 11 years ago

I'm not too sure...I usually like LEDs in the controlled inserts. Sometimes in the GI.
I'm not a big fan of LED flashers though. I've pulled them out of every game I've done that had them except Tron.

I am a big fan of lowering the power draw on these games though...so that and the 'look' are what do it for me.
Maybe I'll just start with the controlled inserts and go from there...

#4 11 years ago

Ask Markmon if he'll take a pic of his. I love ToM and play it any time I go over there. Love his LED job the ToM has. Never been bothered by not being able to see the ball. Definitely needs spotlights to prevent this though.

#5 11 years ago

Well if you play in a well lit room then LEDs won't be as bad but I like to play in the dark or very little light conditions such as having only LED rope lighting on. Spots light do help a little bit but like I said check some videos or if you get a chance to play a TOM all tricked out with LEDs do it first. Here is a pic of my TOM from the previous owner with all LEDs.

tom_leds.pngtom_leds.png

#6 11 years ago

I had a cointaker super kit in mine and i LOVED it.. No complaints at all. Not sure why there is so much purple in that machine but my kit didn't have much of that anywhere. I do agree that machine looks way too bright.. the supers aren't that bright.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Well if you play in a well lit room then LEDs won't be as bad but I like to play in the dark or very little light conditions such as having only LED rope lighting on. Spots light do help a little bit but like I said check some videos or if you get a chance to play a TOM all tricked out with LEDs do it first. Here is a pic of my TOM from the previous owner with all LEDs.

Yuck. Too much random purple. Not a fan. Perhaps if LED'd better you may have liked it more? And the camera never captures how the LEDs really look

#8 11 years ago

I'm very happy with cointaker frosted under the inserts. Even with the multitude of right angle bulbs they do an excellent job of lighting it up. I color matched them to the inserts (a must, especially with purples). I don't see any strobing or ghosting at all on my game, and I'm usually pretty sensitive to that. I left the GI and flashers incandescent. LEDs in the GI would certainly flicker since TOM has pulsed brightness controlled on those for dimming effects. For some of the inserts you'll want warm white and others cool white will look better. Also I think the latest batch of frosted 'orange' bulbs make for a better yellow than the 'frosted yellows'

In my opinion this is one of the games that benefits most from LEDs. They really brighten up the inserts , kick up the contrast, without totally changing the look and feel of the playfield.

I wouldn't bother with getting the kit; you may end up having different opinions about what should go where. Use the money you save not buying the kit to get some extras of each color.

#9 11 years ago

i did the cointaker kit on mine, can post a picture if you want to see it. i didnt change too much from the kit, just a few bulbs arent the same

#10 11 years ago

Here's my 1st TOM that I Led'd out using CoinTaker Led's .. Turned out Beautiful !!!

I Traded a Sample TZ for this TOM .. Check out the Real 4" Tiger Saw Blade w/ Turning motor ..

I Felt that TOM was Very Repetitive and sold it to Golden Beaver for $ 3K a month after these

Pict's were taken .. He was Happy !!

ToM_exam.jpgToM_exam.jpg ToM.jpgToM.jpg ToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpgToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpg

#11 11 years ago

That does look sharp!

#12 11 years ago

I bought the cointaker kit (super premium). I haven't replaced everything yet though. The backglass is awesome though with leds.

I do have an issue with the "flash" of the inserts at times with the game, but at the same time I find with incandescents it is too dull.

I'm on the waiting list for a LCD OCD board, which will apparently make LEDs act like incandescents (no more flashing, but pulse), so I'm hoping that will help.

#13 11 years ago

I don't have a ToM, but I like to use PBL frosted for the GI so they are not in your face and they are cheap, and cointaker prem to avoid ghosting and are nice and bright. I use a mixture of CT/PBL flashers depending on the location. PBL flashers behind a blackglass spot bad and don't spread the light.

#14 11 years ago

i can get better pics, this is all i have right now though.

theatre_led_d.jpgtheatre_led_d.jpg Mb_tom_arabian.jpgMb_tom_arabian.jpg

#15 11 years ago

I just did the inserts on mine. The 90 degree sockets under the playfield suck. They force you to use CT Super flexes which are waaaaay too bright for most of the inserts on this machine. I spent a lot of time trying to angle the flexes to reduces the strength of the LEDs in the inserts. I finally got it to a point that looks awesome, but I wish there was a frosted flex available.

Also, the LEDs in the backbox looks awesome. I did all supers, but if I did it again, I would go frosted around the "Theatre of Magic" lettering towards the top. With the supers, they produce bright "spots" on the translight.

Email cointaker for a LED list for ToM, and adjust for your tastes from there. I recommend frosted on the inserts where you can.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I wish there was a frosted flex available.

I also wish there was an option from CT for a less than super bright flex.

#17 11 years ago

may change my gi to frosted. been doing that on most pins now.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I also wish there was an option from CT for a less than super bright flex.

Small peice of scotch tape over the led ?

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Small peice of scotch tape over the led ?

I tried scotch tape over the LEDs, but they don't do much. I even tried to wrap it around 5x+, and it only helped mildly. The best way to dim the flex supers is to bend them so they are not directly pointed at the inserts. This can be a little challenging in tight areas because the intensity of the "beam" will bleed over to the other inserts.

The four very small diamonds between the flippers was a must to do with this. The supers are absolutely blinding here.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Are there spotlights in this picture? The lower playfield looks good? What LEDs did you use in the lanes and slings?

#21 11 years ago

I also recommend the pbl 4 ablaze led for backbox illumination color matched as they spread the light very nice. I have warm white behind the faces, blue, greens, and red behind those colors. And cool white behind the rest. It is not as washed out as the picture shows.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ideas-for-leds-in-tom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.