Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Thor-NL
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trophies.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_20140321_200533.jpg
    Pingolf_2nd Place_11.22.2013.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

hey folks. someday soon i'm planning on having a party and inviting a bunch of friends over to play pinball. they are not pinheads at all, so i'm trying to think of ways to get them excited and engaged in the games, and make it fun for everybody. the lineup will be STTNG, Funhouse, Black Hole, MM.

here are some ideas i'm considering:

- getting a bunch of lottery scratchers or small bottles of booze, and award them as prizes to anyone who can reach certain achievements -- start Final Frontier on STTNG, reach 3-ball multiball on Black Hole, complete the mirror on Funhouse, defeat the King of Payne on MM. (probably limiting it to one per guest)

- reset the high scores on all the games, and award prizes to the top three on each game at the end of the night.

- maybe even hold some kind of mini-tournament at some point? any ideas for a format that can be completed quickly and easily?

also, how do you guys think i should set up the games? extra balls enabled or disabled? should i set them up easy, normal, or brutal?

any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from z28dan:

Sounds like a good time!
    Better not have it too soon, you're MMR might not come in as soon as you like and it will just be the three pins you have now. jk

Oh it won't be before MMRLE arrives. So obviously no firm date or anything yet.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I don't want to sound like a dick, but why would you try and force your non pinball friends to play pinball?

I mean ... If they don't want to play pinball they don't have to come. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. Showing up at a pinball party I think implies some level of willingness to play pinball.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I like your ideas, but not a single one of your guests will reach any of these goals...not even on 5 ball.

yeah, i think you're right about that. hmmmm...

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

Also, not so sure that 5 ball is a good idea.
    Most newbs have trouble getting through 3 balls...

yeah i think i agree. i think shorter games might have a better chance of holding their attention. the last thing i want to do is bore them.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Rather than make it a pinball focused party, just invite people over. Whenever I have a party my pins get the shit beat out of them regardless.
    The biggest pain in the ass is resetting machines with only 1-2 balls played. People have really short attention spans now.

this is sort of what i want to avoid, and i think adding some casual structure of some kind is the way to do it - either by competition or by setting goals (and offering token rewards either way). just asking them to start games and make up their own objectives is asking them to walk away disinterested, in my opinion.

i think i'll offer the scratchers / booze for the objectives i originally mentioned, knowing full well it's extremely unlikely anyone will get close to the Final Frontier on STTNG or whatever, but i'll offer them just so they can realize there is, you know, "end game" content, progression, etc, on these tables. i think that is something most non-pinball people don't realize.

i'm thinking i'll leave the option open for a single-elimination tournament if people seem up for it. you never know. i'll keep thinking about this, though ... the party likely won't be for a while.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Also, disable/hide arcade/MAME machine if you have one, otherwise they will just spend the night playing Track & Field and TMNT (nothing wrong with that either).

hmm maybe i'll tell them I have TMNT to get them to come, but then when they arrive it'll just be the NES version. THAT oughta keep em playing the pins!

#63 9 years ago

yeah I've experienced both before. you don't realize how much jargon we use until you try to explain it to someone! pinball machines seem to assume everyone knows exactly what "light lock" means -- that it enables some other shot which will capture a ball, which will be released when multiball is achieved. none of that is at all obvious to a normal person.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ideas-for-a-pinball-party-for-noobs?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.