(Topic ID: 288347)

Ideas and Advice for adding pins to collection.

By Purdue

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210227-123803~2 (resized).png
    rudycrazed (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 12.08.01 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 12.07.51 PM (resized).png
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Hey! Looking for some input about my next moves..

Current collection is 4 games:

Twilight Zone
    Stranger Things Pro
    Jurassic Park LE
    The Simpsons Pinball Party

I am really happy with all of the pins we have at this point. And would like to add on with the intent of buying keepers.
    Twilight Zone has been in the family 25 years, the 3 others have joined the family in the last 3 months. We like the mix of themes and varying play styles we have going. Personally i find myself enjoying playing the dmd/lcd era the most. But also find fun nostalgia with The Bally Williams era.

So far my list of possibles include (ranked in order):

Deadpool LE/ prem
    Ghostbusters
    Medieval Madness or Creature from the Black Lagoon
    Monster Bash (recently played it a bunch and maybe not deep enough for home)
    Turtles pro (was hot and heavy for a while one picking on up, but think I've severely cooled on it to the point no longer want one)

Other stuff I've played and enjoyed but unsure about fitting in with my theme..
    Avengers IQ
    Star Wars (stern)
    Was excited to check out some of the JJ stuff, but left feeling underwhelmed after playing pirates and wonka. Hobbit seems very interesting though!

Would love to hear some advice about what else to consider/ go check out and play.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 12.07.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-20 at 12.07.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-20 at 12.08.01 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-20 at 12.08.01 PM (resized).png
    #2 3 years ago

Add until you cant add anymore. Then add 1 more.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Thats the plan!

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

Thats the plan!

All of the pins you mentioned are really good. I find that long term keepers for me need a few things specifically: replayability, a theme that resonates with me (and hopefully my family as well), and a layout/style that is different enough from my other pins to stay enjoyable.

Depth is important...but to be honest...it is secondary to the other things i mentioned because sometimes i want a deep game and sometimes a less involved game, sometimes a long game and sometimes a quicker game. This goes along with the "different enough" qualification i mentioned earlier.

No one can truly tell you what the best game for YOU is. I always suggest looking through the pinside top 100 and reading reviews for in-depth info as well as watching videos of gameplay. Of course, you should try to play all the pins you are considering before buying...but that isnt always possible.

It often comes down to simply what is available in your area and what you can afford.

Assuming you have done all of the things above, here are my specific suggestions:

I think the 3 options that would fit best for you are either MM, DP prem, or hobbit. All are vastly different from what you currently have and are great games. You are well represented from sterns already, but you dont have a JJP. They play completely different...and hobbit is a mode-based game, which you dont have.

MM represents another company (im assuming a CGC remake) and era of game that you dont have in your collection, and it is considered one of the best pins of all time for a good reason.

DP premium is just a very unique game that is really unlike anything else. I think it would fit well in ANY collection. My only trepidation would be that you are already so well represented with newer sterns.

This is a long read, but i hope you are able to go through it and give it some real thought.

#5 3 years ago

The more games you have the more shallower games become keepers.

#6 3 years ago

Curious why you went stranger things pro and LE in JP? Feels like stranger things benefits a lot from the projector? Do you not miss that? Would love to hear your thoughts since this game is on my list and I love to go pro when possible.

#7 3 years ago

I would invite you to consider Dialed In, it's a great game with a flow like no other and a lot to do to never see the end of it.
    The quantum theater is a, I think never seen before, toy that's magnet based and can act as a pass through, a kick back or a holder.

#8 3 years ago

I have 3 - Met Pro, Whirlwind, and RBION. Gonna hopfully add JP Prem in a month or so. My space at the moment is good for 5-7. After JP probably looking myself at TZ, Deadpool, or Creech. To me, MM is kinda a snooze fest. Ramps and castle over and over again. GB Prem is good fun, but some people absolutely hate the magna slings and the ladder like modes. I love the game, but I also dont own one and duno how stale it'd get. MB seems shallow but it's kinda not. Diversity in shots, diff modes for each monster, and hitting the MB if you get em all is fun.

#9 3 years ago

I assume you’ve met ZMeny ? I’m sure he can help you find what you’re looking for.

My family really enjoyed stern Star Trek and Star Wars. Deadpool was fun too

#10 3 years ago

Ya know, those cute kiddies will grow up and their tastes will change.I wouldn't cater anymore to that end! A DPLE would be my choice,GB are getting expensive when you consider the topper alone is now getting 1K!! You must choose wisely!!

#11 3 years ago

We've got/had most of the A List B/W games, and what does my wife play almost exclusively? The restored Strikes and Spares.

Throw a solid state game in there.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

Hey! Looking for some input about my next moves..
    Current collection is 4 games:
    Twilight Zone
    Stranger Things Pro
    Jurassic Park LE
    The Simpsons Pinball Party
    I am really happy with all of the pins we have at this point. And would like to add on with the intent of buying keepers.
    Twilight Zone has been in the family 25 years, the 3 others have joined the family in the last 3 months. We like the mix of themes and varying play styles we have going. Personally i find myself enjoying playing the dmd/lcd era the most. But also find fun nostalgia with The Bally Williams era.
    So far my list of possibles include (ranked in order):
    Deadpool LE/ prem
    Ghostbusters
    Medieval Madness or Creature from the Black Lagoon
    Monster Bash (recently played it a bunch and maybe not deep enough for home)
    Turtles pro (was hot and heavy for a while one picking on up, but think I've severely cooled on it to the point no longer want one)
    Other stuff I've played and enjoyed but unsure about fitting in with my theme..
    Avengers IQ
    Star Wars (stern)
    Was excited to check out some of the JJ stuff, but left feeling underwhelmed after playing pirates and wonka. Hobbit seems very interesting though!
    Would love to hear some advice about what else to consider/ go check out and play.
    Thanks![quoted image][quoted image]

Deadpool premium or stern Star Wars (pro or premium) would really compliment that lineup well. TSPP and JP are a bit more on the technical deep side. TZ is technically fun. STH is brutal fun. Deadpool is just pure fun with some of the best ‘feel good’ shots in all of pinball with an awesome rule set for all skill levels and amazing sound package. Star Wars is more like STH in that it’s fast and furious. Star Wars, IMO, has one of the heat rule sets in all of pinball; but it can be a hard game for beginners (or tournament players lol).

#13 3 years ago

Check out an Iron Man. It’s fun and fast with quick ball times. It has that “one more time” vibe to it.

#14 3 years ago

Good games, recommend a faster shorter ball time pin. Iron Man fits as suggested, SW on your list, or diversity w/older titles to deliver it.
    Just as thrilling as deep code generation.

#15 3 years ago

If you don't think MB is deep enough for home, I'd stay away from Creature

#16 3 years ago

Boiler Up

How about Indy 500 , AFM or Spiderman ?
    I really like my JJP pins. Surprised you don't like Wonka
    Have you tried DI ?

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

All of the pins you mentioned are really good. I find that long term keepers for me need a few things specifically: replayability, a theme that resonates with me (and hopefully my family as well), and a layout/style that is different enough from my other pins to stay enjoyable.
    Depth is important...but to be honest...it is secondary to the other things i mentioned because sometimes i want a deep game and sometimes a less involved game, sometimes a long game and sometimes a quicker game. This goes along with the "different enough" qualification i mentioned earlier.
    No one can truly tell you what the best game for YOU is. I always suggest looking through the pinside top 100 and reading reviews for in-depth info as well as watching videos of gameplay. Of course, you should try to play all the pins you are considering before buying...but that isnt always possible.
    It often comes down to simply what is available in your area and what you can afford.
    Assuming you have done all of the things above, here are my specific suggestions:
    I think the 3 options that would fit best for you are either MM, DP prem, or hobbit. All are vastly different from what you currently have and are great games. You are well represented from sterns already, but you dont have a JJP. They play completely different...and hobbit is a mode-based game, which you dont have.
    MM represents another company (im assuming a CGC remake) and era of game that you dont have in your collection, and it is considered one of the best pins of all time for a good reason.
    DP premium is just a very unique game that is really unlike anything else. I think it would fit well in ANY collection. My only trepidation would be that you are already so well represented with newer sterns.
    This is a long read, but i hope you are able to go through it and give it some real thought.

Thank you for the really thought out advice, much appreciated. I agree with everything you said. And yes i’d prefer a CGC remake over a original version in those titles.

It’s really hard to go play something in a bar or arcade and form a solid opinion. A couple unlucky games and youre moving on to try the next thing. For example at the local place, at first i loved turtles and thought Star Wars was a complete joke. A couple visits later after playing them both more... i find myself wanting to walk away from turtles and keep putting quarters in Star wars and it’s just a pro.

I’m not really scared (per say) of another newer stern. They are generally my style, but there is something to be said for mixing it up! Need to play more! Deadpool premie or LE is gonna happen though either way when i find one.

thanks! gonna get back to the rest of ya too!

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Curious why you went stranger things pro and LE in JP? Feels like stranger things benefits a lot from the projector? Do you not miss that? Would love to hear your thoughts since this game is on my list and I love to go pro when possible.

I purchased both JP and Sth used. JP is a “grail theme” for me hence the le.

The stranger things pro was a good deal because everybody hated on it at the time. Not us! love it!

Sometimes i do find myself thinking about the projector... no way it’s worth the ~2500 bucks it would take to upgrade. You could by good 4k movie projector. And glad i dont have the manga lock, that fiasco would piss me off. I think it’s a great value pro!

#19 3 years ago

You need an EM or early SS in there. You don't know frustration until you have a string of 30 second games.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I would invite you to consider Dialed In, it's a great game with a flow like no other and a lot to do to never see the end of it.
    The quantum theater is a, I think never seen before, toy that's magnet based and can act as a pass through, a kick back or a holder.

I’d love to find one to play... haven’t yet. but seems like it could be a good one!

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

We've got/had most of the A List B/W games, and what does my wife play almost exclusively? The restored Strikes and Spares.
    Throw a solid state game in there.

Quoted from schudel5:

You need an EM or early SS in there. You don't know frustration until you have a string of 30 second games.

Idk i’ve only played a handful of bing bing bong bings. lol. not sure it’s my thing! They are fun to look at though!

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

I have 3 - Met Pro, Whirlwind, and RBION. Gonna hopfully add JP Prem in a month or so. My space at the moment is good for 5-7. After JP probably looking myself at TZ, Deadpool, or Creech. To me, MM is kinda a snooze fest. Ramps and castle over and over again. GB Prem is good fun, but some people absolutely hate the magna slings and the ladder like modes. I love the game, but I also dont own one and duno how stale it'd get. MB seems shallow but it's kinda not. Diversity in shots, diff modes for each monster, and hitting the MB if you get em all is fun.

TZ is a great great game... it’s a little stale for me because we’ve owned it for ever but it’ll never leave! My 10yo got lost in the zone a couple weeks ago and lost his mind! You’ll love JP prem, but it will kick your ass when you’re not on top of your shots!

I’ve probably played 20 games of MM and i really like it, just has that something for me...but ya i can see what you’re saying.

Same with MB, about 20-30 games... don’t have it totally figured out yet, really fun but seems like it could get repetitive .

Thanks for the input!

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Ya know, those cute kiddies will grow up and their tastes will change.I wouldn't cater anymore to that end! A DPLE would be my choice,GB are getting expensive when you consider the topper alone is now getting 1K!! You must choose wisely!!

Hah! My 5yo just had a ghostbusters theme birthday party at the local froyo place that has a GB pro.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Schinny:

Check out an Iron Man. It’s fun and fast with quick ball times. It has that “one more time” vibe to it.

Quoted from Vino:

Good games, recommend a faster shorter ball time pin. Iron Man fits as suggested, SW on your list, or diversity w/older titles to deliver it.
    Just as thrilling as deep code generation.

Thanks for the Iron man suggestion, haven’t played that one and don’t know anything about it (yet).

SW comic art premium keeps moving up my list and has me thinking about it.

Quoted from palmab03:

If you don't think MB is deep enough for home, I'd stay away from Creature

Ya creature maybe isn’t deep... but something about it speaks to me. I really like looking at it too!

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

Boiler Up
    How about Indy 500 , AFM or Spiderman ?
    I really like my JJP pins. Surprised you don't like Wonka
    Have you tried DI ?

In all fairness i’ve only played a handful of games on JJP POTC and Wonka in a bar. Pirates seemed really clunky. The upper play field was supper neat though. Wonka flowed better but just isn’t a theme i want to own personally. I got the impression a JJP would be a much better machine for in home than on location. They aren’t the most approachable to figure out quickly. Dialed In and Hobbit look like a really good time, but have yet to find either to play. GnR looks like a good time, but for some reason ive never really wanted a band pin at home.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

Idk i’ve only played a handful of bing bing bong bings. lol. not sure it’s my thing! They are fun to look at though!

I'm not sure what bing bing bong bings are, but if you mean EMs and solid states, there is much more going on than just looks and sounds. But hey, to each their own!

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

TZ is a great great game... it’s a little stale for me because we’ve owned it for ever but it’ll never leave! My 10yo got lost in the zone a couple weeks ago and lost his mind! You’ll love JP prem, but it will kick your ass when you’re not on top of your shots!
    I’ve probably played 20 games of MM and i really like it, just has that something for me...but ya i can see what you’re saying.
    Same with MB, about 20-30 games... don’t have it totally figured out yet, really fun but seems like it could get repetitive .
    Thanks for the input!

I have a hard time walking away from my MM royal I find more to do all the time.you and the family might like POTC stern my family loves it.enjoy whatever you choose

#28 3 years ago

AFM and/or EBD

#29 3 years ago

talk to me when you get into double digits.

#30 3 years ago

Well from your list, I’ve had my DP LE for over two years which for me is an eternity as I like to rotate the lineup fairly frequently. I actually got it in a trade for an MB which was a grail game for me until it got stale in like 2 months. DP is a super fun game with great callouts and while they’re both Gomez games I prefer the shots in Deadpool. It’s also pretty easy to have a good game with rubbers on the outlane posts. Not sure about the skill level of the kids, GB and CFTBL can be pretty tough.

#31 3 years ago
    #32 3 years ago

I need to plays some more AFM! My FIL raves about Eight Ball deluxe all the time. Need to check it out!

I’ve never seen gophers in the wild, i’ll look for it!

#33 3 years ago

Do you guys play mostly solo games or multiplayer games? Do you have parties where guests come over and play, and is that a consideration? Are you looking to develop competitive skills or are ya just happy hanging out and playing pins at home and location for fun? Do you do your own maintenance or would you need to find somebody? How many pins do you envision owning in the future at max capacity? (And yeah, take what you think is real and then double it lol.......)

My recommendations would vary depending on the answers to these questions.....

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from SergioJ:

Do you guys play mostly solo games or multiplayer games? Do you have parties where guests come over and play, and is that a consideration? Are you looking to develop competitive skills or are ya just happy hanging out and playing pins at home and location for fun? Do you do your own maintenance or would you need to find somebody? How many pins do you envision owning in the future at max capacity? (And yeah, take what you think is real and then double it lol.......)
    My recommendations would vary depending on the answers to these questions.....

Thanks for dropping in!

Mostly solo i'd say. We usually turn them all on on and pick one then play musical chairs.

Parties, -we've had one. My experience is that guests were happy with what we already have, i'm more interested in tailoring to me/ my family.

No, not looking to get into comp. Just fun at home and on location. My 10 year old is really good though. He's regularly getting wizard modes.

Maintenance:
    I am pretty comfortable doing my own maintenance and mods. I suspect at some point i'm going to need to either learn some electronics repair (soldering on boards) or find somebody that can help there. It was pretty surprising to me actually how much tinkering a handful of pins takes to keep in tip top shape. Ive been trying to buy pins in great condition as to avoid as many headaches as possible.

#of pins
    In the short term i could see my collection doubling. ~8 or so... Down the road i have room for 20+ if i really wanted them, but doubt i wanna maintain that many hah!

#35 3 years ago

Okay then. The reasons I asked the questions is that for solo play you're not concerned about long ball times/games and are probably somewhat more interested in getting deep into the game rather than score. From a party perspective, guests (non pinheads) generally prefer simpler games that they can easily grasp quickly rather than having to spend a lot of time figuring rules and strategies out. They just want to flip and score points. If you're not interested in competition, then you don't really need to worry about understanding how to play games from a variety of eras and different techniques. Having games from different eras definitely makes you a better player over time. Maintenance is obviously a little more of a consideration for older games and if you're looking to get a larger collection at some point you can afford to get some more "niche" games that you normally wouldn't consider in a smaller collection.

So that said, sounds like sticking to newer games probably is the best strategy for you. If you get to a point by going to shows etc. and playing a wider variety of games that a different era starts to appeal to you, then you can always start then. Over time your tastes may change as you get more exposure, but they very well may not lol.

I'd pass on Medieval, MB and Creature if I were you. They just don't sound like what you're looking for. All of them are fun but I wouldn't call any one particularly deep and for the money you can get something else thats newer (or at least a "newer design"). You might want to consider LOTR and or Shadow if you want to get another more classic DMD game. People hate the artwork on Shadow but its a real "players game". The newer games are going to be pretty much up to your taste. Everyone will have their own favorites, Deadpool and Ghostbusters would be fine choices, I'm not a particular fan of Star Wars, but I'm most familiar playing a Pro there with admittedly older code so not sure how thats changed. You may also want to take a look at the American Pinball offerings if you want a different company, a lot of bang for your buck there.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from SergioJ:

Okay then. The reasons I asked the questions is that for solo play you're not concerned about long ball times/games and are probably somewhat more interested in getting deep into the game rather than score. From a party perspective, guests (non pinheads) generally prefer simpler games that they can easily grasp quickly rather than having to spend a lot of time figuring rules and strategies out. They just want to flip and score points. If you're not interested in competition, then you don't really need to worry about understanding how to play games from a variety of eras and different techniques. Having games from different eras definitely makes you a better player over time. Maintenance is obviously a little more of a consideration for older games and if you're looking to get a larger collection at some point you can afford to get some more "niche" games that you normally wouldn't consider in a smaller collection.
    So that said, sounds like sticking to newer games probably is the best strategy for you. If you get to a point by going to shows etc. and playing a wider variety of games that a different era starts to appeal to you, then you can always start then. Over time your tastes may change as you get more exposure, but they very well may not lol.
    I'd pass on Medieval, MB and Creature if I were you. They just don't sound like what you're looking for. All of them are fun but I wouldn't call any one particularly deep and for the money you can get something else thats newer (or at least a "newer design"). You might want to consider LOTR and or Shadow if you want to get another more classic DMD game. People hate the artwork on Shadow but its a real "players game". The newer games are going to be pretty much up to your taste. Everyone will have their own favorites, Deadpool and Ghostbusters would be fine choices, I'm not a particular fan of Star Wars, but I'm most familiar playing a Pro there with admittedly older code so not sure how thats changed. You may also want to take a look at the American Pinball offerings if you want a different company, a lot of bang for your buck there.

I am concerned with adding a another techincal shooter to the mix right now. I love JP but it can get super frustrating when you're not hitting shots. Sometimes i don't touch it for a week or two. But i always come back. Turtles and Ghostbusters seem like they are kinda like JP2, in that when you miss shots the ball can clunk around for a long time and not hit any thing. -Frustration.

Honestly with how i feel about Stranger Things , Im really considering a Star Wars. My hangup there is it is also hard, and my wife isn't a big fan for that reason. Deadpool is a definite at this point, need to find one. EHH (not that it can be had anyways) seems interesting too, but ive only played 6 balls on one, and i'm not sold on the theme.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

Thank you for the advice! I am concerned with adding a another techincal shooter to the mix right now. I love JP but it can get super frustrating when you're not hitting shots. Sometimes i don't touch it for a week or two. But i always come back. Turtles and Ghostbusters seem like they are kinda like JP2, in that when you miss shots the ball can clunk around for a long time and not hit any thing. -Frustration.

Honestly with how i feel about Stranger Things , Im really considering a Star Wars. My hangup there is it is also hard, and my wife isn't a big fan for that reason. Deadpool is a definite at this point, need to find one. EHH (not that it can be had anyways) seems interesting too, but ive only played 6 balls on one, and i'm not sold on the theme.

#38 3 years ago

You might want to take a look at Star Trek, there’s a bit less variety and it’s not quite as deep as other offerings but it seems to be a bit more forgiving. Or as Bowen would say, just play better lol....

#39 3 years ago

If you have room for twenty total pinball at this time you will likely be looking for more room at the point you reach 30 . I mention this so you can have extensive wish list and plan for eventual variety as titles become avaiable.

Wife's wish list should stand alone . Happy wife happy life can be issue when you get into pinballs .

Suggest get a as is complete substandard game for father son learning / bonding expierence. Use of tools and basic understanding electricity and logical approach troubleshooting a good skills for all going forward in life ( add wife if she expresses interest ) .

Lots more to this hobby than gameplay !

Shane

PS Johnny Mnemonic find one in good playing condition and you will want one .

#40 3 years ago

If you think MB is not deep enough for home then stay away from creech as well.

#41 3 years ago

I seem to be heading down the same trajectory as you. I have been purchasing my pins based on the theme.

Bough first 2 pins in December. TSPP and STH Premium. I play the STH 100 over the Simpsons. I have not understood the rules on TSPP yet so that may change I just don’t find it as “tight” (like a new car) as STH. I honestly don’t think I will find a game that I will enjoy as much as STH. I’m beyond addicted.

I just ordered a GnR LE. Love the theme and I wanted a JJP.

My want list includes:
    JP Premium
    DP Premium
    TWD Pro

Games like Dialed In, Medieval Madness, Elvira, all seem great but I have zero interest in the theme and would never own one. Again I’m new to pins so maybe someday I will evolve.

Goodluck in your search.

#42 3 years ago

More than anything else, the question you want to ask yourself is what do you want to do? Looking at what you have right now these are that makes your display belly Williams games and newer. Now you may not be interested in older games at all but there's a lot of great games out there to be had that will offer a simpler, quicker and more direct experience. Quite often I'd see players coming to A event like pinburgh and they would be very comfortable on games with ramps and dot matrix displays but as soon as they stepped up to an electromechanical game their game just flew out the window they didn't know how to deal with what they were being confronted with. In some cases they would blame the pinball game calling it a look box or a bingo of sorts. So I'd ask you to consider expanding your horizons and look to other games that are older and while you are playing pinball offer a different experience.

You can go out and find those games listed pretty easily. Finding older games is becoming more interesting as many of the collectors have snapped them up as compared to many of those games that have ended up in the landfill.

Since the plague has stopped all the pinball shows from happening, see if you can get in touch with other local collectors that have older games in your area and go check out what they've got. Bring the family with you if you can. Stay safe while out and about and you may be in for a pleasant pin-surprise.

Happy hunting!

(There, that's a much better response...)

rudycrazed (resized).jpgrudycrazed (resized).jpg
    #43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

I need to plays some more AFM! My FIL raves about Eight Ball deluxe all the time. Need to check it out!

I’ve never seen gophers in the wild, i’ll look for it!

Theres a no good gofers at the waiting room in Bridgeton. Very close to where you will be in St charles. There is also a wonka LE and all games at 50 Cents.

#44 3 years ago

My own collection has a very weird thread running through it. I have a game from about every decade (missing the ‘70’s right now) so that makes for varied types of fun to be had based on how I am feeling, how nostalgic I feel when walk up to the line and decide to play... for a real trip back to my single digit years, I have a 60’s wedge head, I have an 80’s SS, a 90’s WPC and Sega, a naughties Stern, and a 2010’s remake of a late 90’s WPC, which covers new technology and was NIB from this decade without actually being from this decade... so I can take a long or short trip back in time depending on my mood. The wedge head, being all bing bing bong bong as you put it, is the fastest machine to start a game on. Boot time is about 1 second and I can be playing a game within 3... this makes “a quick game of pinball” exactly that...

But seeing your collection, you seem to be stuck at 90’s and later, or more accurately, a modern collection with throwbacks to the 90’s WPC and Stern naughties eras. If this is what you like playing, I would go with CGI remakes to flesh out your WPC lineup, and stick with the modern Sterns and a JJP or API title that floats your boat. I think both JJP and API make great machines, but their theme choices have been disappointing. The only JJP that I recommend is POTC, that is one heart pounding fun game to play IF you know how to play it, but unfortunately they are pricey due to limited supply and increasing demand. For API, their builds are solid, their toys quite functional, decent quality, but they have yet to produce a title that strikes a chord with me. Modern Sterns are fun and Deadpool premium, IMDN, and even EHOH are good candidates based on what you currently own. SW and ST from Stern are keepers in premium and above, but the pros are sadly not up to snuff once you play premium versions IMHO.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from SergioJ:

You might want to take a look at Star Trek, there’s a bit less variety and it’s not quite as deep as other offerings but it seems to be a bit more forgiving. Or as Bowen would say, just play better lol....

Definitely need to play better... lol But Star Trek seemed like a great game when i played it a couple times. Just kinda a non starter theme for me.

Quoted from bepositive:

If you have room for twenty total pinball at this time you will likely be looking for more room at the point you reach 30 . I mention this so you can have extensive wish list and plan for eventual variety as titles become avaiable.
    Wife's wish list should stand alone . Happy wife happy life can be issue when you get into pinballs .
    Suggest get a as is complete substandard game for father son learning / bonding expierence. Use of tools and basic understanding electricity and logical approach troubleshooting a good skills for all going forward in life ( add wife if she expresses interest ) .
    Lots more to this hobby than gameplay !
    Shane
    PS Johnny Mnemonic find one in good playing condition and you will want one .

I doubt i ever approach 20, I can't imagine trying to keep up with that many...
    I need to take the glass of 3 of my 4 right now for misc BS.

My wife is great, we have taken on the hobby together and luckily like most of the same stuff! Still working on her on a couple titles
    Im into all sorts of hands on stuff (hot rods, building, outdoors etc), so hopefully that rubs off and teaches our boys how to be well rounded. I have a feeling it won't be long before i have to learn basic electronics...hah.

I'll check out JM if i ever see it in the wild. Thanks!

Quoted from woody76:

If you think MB is not deep enough for home then stay away from creech as well.

Ya i really like MB, but we've played it a bunch cause its at a local place. And if i bring a MB home, we will have less reason to support the local arcade. Creech is just fun times, imo. Something about it makes me smile, kinda like MM. I think as our collection grows, i won't need as deep of rulesets on some stuff to stay interested. (as somebody pointed out earlier)

#46 3 years ago

I know its not on your list but Hot Wheels is a great playing/looking machine with depth if you want it but you can have a blast with out knowing anything about the game. They come loaded and for now at least are one of the best values to be had.

The JJPs are all amazing games. Although it can be hard to appreciate just how spectacular and rewarding they are when they aren't in your collection. They are a bit pricier but they are more likely to hold their value than any other manufacturer due to their curb appeal, construction quality and surprisingly low production numbers. In essence, at this time, every JJP is a limited edition.

#47 3 years ago

I miss my NGG and T2. SM and ST Premium would be ideal too if plan on sticking to modern.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

I seem to be heading down the same trajectory as you. I have been purchasing my pins based on the theme.
    Bough first 2 pins in December. TSPP and STH Premium. I play the STH 100 over the Simpsons. I have not understood the rules on TSPP yet so that may change I just don’t find it as “tight” (like a new car) as STH. I honestly don’t think I will find a game that I will enjoy as much as STH. I’m beyond addicted.
    I just ordered a GnR LE. Love the theme and I wanted a JJP.
    My want list includes:
    JP Premium
    DP Premium
    TWD Pro
    Games like Dialed In, Medieval Madness, Elvira, all seem great but I have zero interest in the theme and would never own one. Again I’m new to pins so maybe someday I will evolve.
    Goodluck in your search.

Interesting how we have started out very similarly. Keep learning simpsons, its way deeper than I understand. Great Great game, mine shoots better than any of my new sterns.

And how can anyone play MM and not love the theme...

Quoted from Bublehead:

My own collection has a very weird thread running through it. I have a game from about every decade (missing the ‘70’s right now) so that makes for varied types of fun to be had based on how I am feeling, how nostalgic I feel when walk up to the line and decide to play... for a real trip back to my single digit years, I have a 60’s wedge head, I have an 80’s SS, a 90’s WPC and Sega, a naughties Stern, and a 2010’s remake of a late 90’s WPC, which covers new technology and was NIB from this decade without actually being from this decade... so I can take a long or short trip back in time depending on my mood. The wedge head, being all bing bing bong bong as you put it, is the fastest machine to start a game on. Boot time is about 1 second and I can be playing a game within 3... this makes “a quick game of pinball” exactly that...
    But seeing your collection, you seem to be stuck at 90’s and later, or more accurately, a modern collection with throwbacks to the 90’s WPC and Stern naughties eras. If this is what you like playing, I would go with CGI remakes to flesh out your WPC lineup, and stick with the modern Sterns and a JJP or API title that floats your boat. I think both JJP and API make great machines, but their theme choices have been disappointing. The only JJP that I recommend is POTC, that is one heart pounding fun game to play IF you know how to play it, but unfortunately they are pricey due to limited supply and increasing demand. For API, their builds are solid, their toys quite functional, decent quality, but they have yet to produce a title that strikes a chord with me. Modern Sterns are fun and Deadpool premium, IMDN, and even EHOH are good candidates based on what you currently own. SW and ST from Stern are keepers in premium and above, but the pros are sadly not up to snuff once you play premium versions IMHO.

I started out (and still am to lesser degree) a theme specific buyer. Bublehead you kind of nailed it. Modern collection with throwbacks to the late 80s/90s and some vintage 90s machines mixed in. Can you guess what era I grew up in? We've owned Twilight Zone forever and the theme doesn't fit . But you couldn't go in a Pizza place when i was a kid without seeing TZ, TAF, or IJ. So i'm sure that's where my appreciation for those BWs comes from. The early stuff isn't as fun personally and the era doesn't create the same nostalgia for me. Now i've gotten out and about and have started to play more machines and Im starting to appreciate machines that not only fit my mold but are really fun to play. So now Deadpool is in the queue and doesn't exactly fit, but i don't care.

The JJP stuff has been really underwhelming for me so far in my very limited expense. -Handfull of games on Pirates and Wonka. Clunky feel and completely agree the title choices blow. I just don't ever want most any of these themes in my home, they just don't resonate with me. And music pins are just something i find i would rather play on-site than here the same songs over and over and over at home. Kiddie movies and Hairbands. I must say i don't particularly love either theme, but i really want to check out Hobbit and DI. JJP needs to build BTTF and i would buy it sight unseen!

American Pinball machines remind me of the Segas. Man the head is ugly. And like JJP most the themes are non starters.

ST is great in pro with UV and shaker IMO. And no magna lock futility!

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

I know its not on your list but Hot Wheels is a great playing/looking machine with depth if you want it but you can have a blast with out knowing anything about the game. They come loaded and for now at least are one of the best values to be had.
    The JJPs are all amazing games. Although it can be hard to appreciate just how spectacular and rewarding they are when they aren't in your collection. They are a bit pricier but they are more likely to hold their value than any other manufacturer due to their curb appeal, construction quality and surprisingly low production numbers. In essence, at this time, every JJP is a limited edition.

Thanks, i haven't seen a HW in person yet. Hopefully this weekend! Im not sure i could put that ugly head in the middle of my lineup though... hah!

And i agree i don't think JJP are very approachable in a bar/ arcade setting. They don't lend themselves to quickly grasping what your supposed to do. Especially when you cant hear anything.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

This made this song pop into my head:

I add 2 pins before I add 2 pins.

And then I add 2 more.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ideas-and-advice-for-adding-pins-to-collection?hl=nplg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.