Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dondon4720
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2005-gmc-envoy xuv_gmxuvint047.jpg
    GMC-Envoy-XUV-SLT2-autobestpics.jpg
    9a6e8u2y.jpg
    2014-10-27 11.08.19.jpg
    silence.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Looking for advice for the ultimate pin transport combo. I am thinking about trading in my car for a truck but need the truck to be efficient for daily use. I'd like the capability to go get one machine at a time in most cases, but would love to transport probably three machines at a time to trade shows etc. I was thinking about an explorer and trailer combo. Any thoughts on trailer size and renting as opposed to owning? I'm thinking a trailer would need to have a decent suspension also. Looking for advice. Initial cost is not that much of a concern but long-term efficiency is.

#2 9 years ago

I know it might not be the "stylish" way to go but I have many friends who move pins around in vans (either typical mini-van style or big conversion van style). They can fit two pins easily and the standard mini-vans like Honda Oddysey's e.t.c. get amazing gas mileage and have lots of power. They either buy vans that the seats fold flat, or sometimes they just take them out completely. This would also eliminate the need for a trailer meaning you could drive faster and your pins would suffer much less bumps and bruises along the way.

#3 9 years ago

In a van you can control the temp. and keep the pins warm, in a trailer you can't.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

In a van you can control the temp. and keep the pins warm, in a trailer you can't.

Agreed! This definitely came in handy when transporting a pin across the Arizona desert in 120 degree heat.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I know it might not be the "stylish" way to go but I have many friends who move pins around in vans (either typical mini-van style or big conversion van style). They can fit two pins easily and the standard mini-vans like Honda Oddysey's e.t.c. get amazing gas mileage and have lots of power. They either buy vans that the seats fold flat, or sometimes they just take them out completely. This would also eliminate the need for a trailer meaning you could drive faster and your pins would suffer much less bumps and bruises along the way.

Plus I could put a cast on my arm and get chicks to help me put couches in it...silence.jpgsilence.jpg
    Seriously though thanks for the response. Agreed on the van but I would be going from a 535 Xi to a mini van. That would be tough to take! I rented a uhaul cargo van the last time and it worked out well but it cost me 200.00

#6 9 years ago

When I was building my collection, I was very glad I owned a minivan.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

When I was building my collection, I was very glad I owned a minivan.

I'm guessing you'll need a semi if you wanna move that baby now wow!

#8 9 years ago

THis trailer has great utility for moving machines. THe best part is how low it is to get equipment on it.

2014-10-27 11.08.19.jpg2014-10-27 11.08.19.jpg
    #9 9 years ago

I drive a 02 Ford E150 conversion van and absolutely love it.
    Two pins and I can fold the bench in the back down and sleep there no problem.
    If I'm hauling one pin I just put it in and fold down the passenger seat to secure it no straps!
    Driven it up and down the West Coast and even Burning Man.
    V-8 and hauls trailers no problem.

"My only regret about buying a van is not buying one sooner."

4 months later
    #10 9 years ago

I am thinking this will work

9a6e8u2y.jpg9a6e8u2y.jpg
    #11 9 years ago

A GMC Envoy XUV. Literally, the most versatile vehicle, looks like a normal SUV. The roof slides forward and 2nd row folds down and you have close to a pickup bed. Has a V8 so you can tow.

GMC-Envoy-XUV-SLT2-autobestpics.jpgGMC-Envoy-XUV-SLT2-autobestpics.jpg 2005-gmc-envoy xuv_gmxuvint047.jpg2005-gmc-envoy xuv_gmxuvint047.jpg
    1 week later
    #12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

A GMC Envoy XUV. Literally, the most versatile vehicle, looks like a normal SUV. The roof slides forward and 2nd row folds down and you have close to a pickup bed. Has a V8 so you can tow.

can you fit more than one in the envoy though?

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

can you fit more than one in the envoy though?

Havent tried yet, need to measure...

#14 9 years ago

can you take the legs off for transport? I have a Toyota Highlander and I think the main table would fit inside (with the back seat down) but certainly not with the legs on.

I've been worrying about this, if I can get one- how do I get it home.

#15 9 years ago

My buddy and I use a Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup with Extended Bed. So far, we've hauled just one pin at a time. We haven't yet tried to see if/how two or more pins may/can fit at the same time.

And we've hauled with the legs still on and with the legs off. I guess with legs off seems like it should be safer in some ways, but everything was okay either way.

Just make sure you have plenty of moving blankets, water-resistant tarps and ratcheting tiedowns (be careful how tight you crank them down).

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

And how many thousands of dollars does GM get for the ugliest vehicle produced since the Pontiac Aztek?

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

And how many thousands of dollars does GM get for the ugliest vehicle produced since the Pontiac Aztek?

We'll just say, its a look only a mother can love.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

can you take the legs off for transport? I have a Toyota Highlander and I think the main table would fit inside (with the back seat down) but certainly not with the legs on.
    I've been worrying about this, if I can get one- how do I get it home.

Yep, very easy too.

#19 9 years ago

I use my Scion XB.. works perfectly.. and hella cheap on gas....Has about 4 inches of extra room and room for tool and any extras, but you have to either move the passanger seat back up or move whole seat forward for games with gun handles (T2, T3, IJ)

1 week later
    #20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Norcal:

I use my Scion XB.. works perfectly.. and hella cheap on gas....Has about 4 inches of extra room and room for tool and any extras, but you have to either move the passanger seat back up or move whole seat forward for games with gun handles (T2, T3, IJ)

I am looking at getting an XB for this reason

Also look at the new Honda HRVs they look promising
    http://automobiles.honda.com/hr-v/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ideal-pinball-transport-setup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.