8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tilted81
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I've used original black rubbers on posts.
    I've also used Cliffy's colored Urethane post sleeves.
    Tried the Superbands sleeves and promptly removed them
    Currently considerng trying out the Titan brand Silicon post sleeves.

In addition to the difference in recoil, the main other thing I've noticed is that a shot that grazes a post will behave quite differently, depending on the type of post sleeve used.

In my tests, the original rubber sleeves are the most forgiving.

The Cliffy sleeves and the Superbands will measurably slow, and sometimes all but stop the ball, even when the ball just grazes one. If the post grazed is at the base of a ramp, as they often are, your shot may not have enough power to make it up the ramp.

That left me wondering... Has anyone ever thought of creating a post that has a rotating collar around a stationary center shaft?

The rubber/urethane/silicone/whatever would then rotate rather than slowing down the ball on a grazing shot.

I'm not suggesting bearings or anything that drastic. Just an ultra-thin metal sleeve around a metal post that ends up being the same diameter as a regular post today?

#2 8 years ago

One of the first things I notice playing a game with old rubbers is that the inlane post rubbers spin freely, making outlane drains more common. It isn't that the rubbers are dry, but I think a combination of the black pinball dust getting in there and the rubber losing it's 'pull', taking a permanent shape.

So with this in mind, how about trying various kinds/amounts of dust/flour/oil/grease on the inside of a regular post sleeve to see if it will spin?

#3 8 years ago

Dry silicone lubricant would be the way to go. I wouldn't use oil, or your typical grease, as they will both attract dirt. I use the dry silicone lube at work, stuff rocks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/idea-for-sleeved-posts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.