Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6810.JPG
IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2510.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Just got a sweet RFM and POTC and was bothered by the back box glare...both use florescent lights. For PB2K, it's really bad, since the backbox is in the middle of the PF. Since PB2K tends to be on the darker side, it further adds to the woes. Lastly, I prefer playing in the dark, which also worsens the glare.

Since the pins are typically only on when I'm playing them, I simply removed the lights entirely and could not believe how much it improved the visibility/beauty of the play field.

I know removing the lights entirely is a bit radical, so one way to get the best of both worlds is to implement a software switch to basically "shut off marquee lights during play". This "opt in" switch would likely be used exclusively by home players/collectors, since I realize arcades would always want the marquee lit. Behavior is simple...the florescent light would go out upon hitting "start" and would go on when the game ends. No more BB glare

Since this switch would require a software change, I planted the seed with George Gomez, who is considering it.

#2 11 years ago

Someone had posted about glare in a recent thread. I took the advice someone offered up (Cliffy?) and wrapped some printer paper around the fluorescent bulb on TSPP. Previous to that I had it completely removed. Now, I don't notice any glare from the backbox, but the gameroom still looks like it should with a lit BG. Pretty good solution, in my opinion.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Someone had posted about glare in a recent thread. I took the advice someone offered up (Cliffy?) and wrapped some printer paper around the fluorescent bulb on TSPP. Previous to that I had it completely removed. Now, I don't notice any glare from the backbox, but the gameroom still looks like it should with a lit BG. Pretty good solution, in my opinion.

That sounds like a fire hazard. Fluorescent tubes get very hot and most paper isn't immune to heat.

I know there are colored tubes that some folks use...this seems much better than paper!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

That sounds like a fire hazard. Fluorescent tubes get very hot and most paper isn't immune to heat.
I know there are colored tubes that some folks use...this seems much better than paper!

They also make translucent colored filter vinyl wraps that you can put around your bulb. I forget who makes them but I've definitely seen them.

#5 11 years ago

Fluorescent actually is not very hot at all, perhaps you're thinking of halogen? And as someone also brought up in that thread, Fahrenheit 451.

#6 11 years ago

I use layers of masking tape across the front of the bulb until I get the level I want been doing this for years with no problems.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Fluorescent actually is not very hot at all, perhaps you're thinking of halogen? And as someone also brought up in that thread, Fahrenheit 451.

My comment is based on empirical evidence. I've touched one of these bulbs after being on for awhile and it was hot. Paper just doesn't sound like a good idea...

#8 11 years ago

Pinball Pal sold the filters that reduced the light and made it more incandescent looking. You can also use pinguards to help out (even on P2K's). But nothing will produce the same results as having it turned off completely.

#9 11 years ago

personally I prefer unplugged, I do like the idea of having a switch to kill the light, fun idea to consider tinkering with some ideas I have on making this a "plug and play removable" but in the end, I just deal with one game with no lit trans-light.

#10 11 years ago

A standard DMD Glare Guard works perfectly for your RFM. It blocks out 100% of the translite glare. See photos at this link:
http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Eddie-1_2006/Glare%20Guard%20In%20RFM/

Pinball Life carries them. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1099

Kim

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just got a sweet RFM and POTC and was bothered by the back box glare...

I marked the bulb, took it out and spray painted the front "side" with black paint and put it back in...glare is much less now.

Robert

#12 11 years ago

I marked the bulb, took it out and spray painted the front "side" with black paint and put it back in...glare is much less now.

I did the same thing a while back with heat resistant tape. It works really well and gives the stark light of the flourescents a warmer glow through the translite.

IMG_2510.JPGIMG_2510.JPG IMG_2508.JPGIMG_2508.JPG IMG_2512.JPGIMG_2512.JPG

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

I did the same thing a while back with heat resistant tape. It works really well and gives the stark light of the flourescents a warmer glow through the translite.

well done and looks very nice. Might have to give that a try.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

2nd that, going to try that as well, great idea.

also if anyone dont know what this tape is.. its "real duct tape" and you seriously need a role in your tool box.. its amazingly sticky, environmentally will maintain sticky in everything except liquid. in high heat will last 1-2 years decently.

#15 11 years ago

may have to switch to that tape, looks pretty good.

#16 11 years ago

It's been on there for five months and no signs of lifting yet. Sticky!

#17 11 years ago

Can't you just put in a tube with a lower wattage? Or a warmer color?

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

A standard DMD Glare Guard works perfectly for your RFM. It blocks out 100% of the translite glare. See photos at this link:
http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Eddie-1_2006/Glare%20Guard%20In%20RFM/
Pinball Life carries them. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1099
Kim

Kim, you make some great DMD guards any way you would consider making some backbox glare guards as tracelifter pictures and describes in the thread below? I know I would be in for a few I imagine others would be as well.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-invisiglass-has-a-scratch-in-it#post-388474

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from darkmiss:

You can take a rattle can of black and mist the tube to get it where you want it.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

would consider making some backbox glare guards as tracelifter pictures and describes in the thread below? I know I would be in for a few I imagine others would be as well.

If Eric (tracelifter) doesn't mind I'd be glad to look into it. I was actually noodling on design similar to that but with a drink holder in it. It was a bad idea.

Eric?

Kim

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from darkmiss:

The bulb is already pretty low wattage (15W).

One of my pinball buddies likes the following product...comes in various colors and is pretty cheap.

ebay.com link: 4 T8 Green Sleeve Tube Guard Fluorescent Tube Light Bulb Cover 48

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

If Eric (tracelifter) doesn't mind I'd be glad to look into it. I was actually noodling on design similar to that but with a drink holder in it. It was a bad idea.
Eric?
Kim

Go ahead, I just make these for myself and a few friends and have no desire to market them.

#24 11 years ago

You can stick gorilla or duct tape on front of the bulb or even electric tape. It won't catch fire.

#25 11 years ago

Or you can go with an LED tube and mount it with the LEDs facing towards the boards.

viperrwk

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Or you can go with an LED tube and mount it with the LEDs facing towards the boards.

Link?

Plug n play or are modifications required?

TIA.

#27 11 years ago

Here's one -

http://amzn.com/B006JK9M3Q

Need a smaller one (18"?) to go in a RFM I think.

You'd have to pull the ballast but that's pretty simple and the ballast fails eventually anyway. The price for this tube is only a little more than a new fluorescent tube and ballast/starter

viperrwk

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Here's one -
You'd have to pull the ballast but that's pretty simple and the ballast fails eventually anyway. The price for this tube is only a little more than a new fluorescent tube and ballast/starter
viperrwk

RFM uses a 16" tube...this is the lit portion, not end-to-end.

All these lighting ideas are interesting, but it's hard to beat no glare if the light is simply turned off during play. Would still love a switch to simply turn it on/off, ideally with software, but understand that's not trivial.

I really appreciate everyone's ideas/engagement on this...I'm new to pinside and didn't know what to expect

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The bulb is already pretty low wattage (15W).
One of my pinball buddies likes the following product...comes in various colors and is pretty cheap.
ebay.com link: 4 T8 Green Sleeve Tube Guard Fluorescent Tube Light Bulb Cover 48

problems with those are they are always for T8 T5 etc.. not the mini ones

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Here's one -
viperrwk

cool but still bright in lumen/wattage so you move the problem to a new medium

#31 11 years ago

The manual and most everywhere else refer to it as an 18" tube:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/4446/Bally_1999_Revenge_From_Mars_Manual.pdf

http://www.pinballpal.com/warming/

Also, I don't know of any standard tube that's sold as a 16" tube and I don't think P2K used custom tubes (I could be wrong.) The length is usually the nominal length but it may not actually match a specific dimension of the tube.

Also, given the reflector in the backbox of P2K I don't think the reverse LED tube trick would work too well in there.

viperrwk

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I was the one that did this to my TSPP in 2005 and posted on rgp. The fluorescent tube gets warm but wouldn't call it hot, well, not hot enough to ignite paper. It's been this way for 7 years now and no issues.

It was a "cheap" solution to eliminate the brightness of the tube. It works fine. I'd be more concerned with paper wrappers on coils, than on a fluorescent tube IMHO.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I was the one that did this to my TSPP in 2005 and posted on rgp. The fluorescent tube gets warm but wouldn't call it hot, well, not hot enough to ignite paper.

I've done it too. Used my IR gun to take temps and the tube was 128 degrees after being on for 45 minutes. That's hot when you put your hand on it, but not hot when it comes to the autoignition temp of paper. Not a problem, nothing is going to burn up.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

RFM uses a 16" tube...this is the lit portion, not end-to-end.

All these lighting ideas are interesting, but it's hard to beat no glare if the light is simply turned off

Snaroff, my Glare Guards block the translite glare 100% in a RFM. You can leave your game illuminated as it was intended to be . Once installed the guard disappears into the game so you don't see anything from the players perspective. No tools needed and it's removable when you sell the game.

Pay for shipping my man and I'll send you one for free. Contact me through Pinside.

Kim

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Snaroff, my Glare Guards block the translite glare 100% in a RFM. You can leave your game illuminated as it was intended to be . Once installed the guard disappears into the game so you don't see anything from the players perspective. No tools needed and it's removable when you sell the game.
Pay for shipping my man and I'll send you one for free. Contact me through Pinside.
Kim

Hi Kim, thanks for the offer. I believe I have your Glare Guards on all my pins...never thought to use it on RFM. As you know, it doesn't help much with BB glare on Sterns. I'll go try it now.

#36 11 years ago

I use theater lighting Gels. I have an light amber that I use to diffuse the white light into a natural looking light. Tape a loop around it, cuts the brightness down dramatically and makes it look like it's lit with natural bulbs.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hi Kim, thanks for the offer. I believe I have your Glare Guards on all my pins...never thought to use it on RFM. As you know, it doesn't help much with BB glare on Sterns. I'll go try it now.

Cool. Just turn it upside down (textured side up) and insert it into the lift channel and set your translite down into place like normal. Done.

Kim

#38 11 years ago

Worked great! Wow, another PB2K advantage

I included a pic to make sure I've installed it properly...

IMG_6810.JPGIMG_6810.JPG

#39 11 years ago

i've done this to my RFM as well. Works great. I put a piece of tape on it, since the cat likes to knock it off of there.

#40 11 years ago

I did this too (2 sheets of printer paper rolled around the tube) on my XMEN who's backbox lighting was so bright I was unable to play it in my dimly lit gameroom. 5 minutes later all was well and I like how it diffused the lighting. It looks like the same game, but the translite is probably 30% dimmer, which was perfect. It also matches the light intensity of my TRON (which has an LED backglass), so it looks good with the other games. Thanks for the tip by the way!

Quoted from stangbat:

I've done it too. Used my IR gun to take temps and the tube was 128 degrees after being on for 45 minutes. That's hot when you put your hand on it, but not hot when it comes to the autoignition temp of paper. Not a problem, nothing is going to burn up.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Worked great! Wow, another PB2K advantage
I included a pic to make sure I've installed it properly...

Properly installed my friend. I'm glad you like it.

Kim

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 218.00
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/idea-for-eliminating-glare-from-florescent-lights-to-illuminate-the-translite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.