Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by AlexRogan84
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a Elvis pinball with multiple broken IDC snap on lamp sockets (Stern part # 077-5216-00) that I need to replace. They are not of the greatest design and the plastic side arms snapped off on a few of them when I replaced some lamps. This renders them unable to latch onto the Wedge base sockets. I have ordered sockets but my question is, what is the best way to remove the old snap-on socket and install the new socket? I ask this because I know they are solderless and crimp onto the wires, I guess cutting thru the insulation to make contact with the copper. Anybody done this before? Much appreciated!

#2 9 years ago

Wires are just shoved in there with an IDC insertion tool.

LTG : )

#3 9 years ago

You don't need to strip the wire, just cut them off as close as you can to the socket and use a IDC punch tool to push the wires in.

#4 9 years ago

does PBL or someone pinball related carry these?

8 years later
#6 1 year ago

Can you install these without a special punch tool? Meaning, can you push the wires down into the replacement socket with a regular screwdriver? (will the edges of the new socket cut into the insulation of the wires, or is that what the tool is somehow doing?)

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Can you install these without a special punch tool? Meaning, can you push the wires down into the replacement socket with a regular screwdriver? (will the edges of the new socket cut into the insulation of the wires, or is that what the tool is somehow doing?)

Hey Alex
Get one of these. https://www.pinballlife.com/wire-insertion-and-extraction-tool-for-idc-lamp-sockets.html
Wally

#8 1 year ago

Thanks for the link. Simple tool at a simple price. I'll add one of those to my next order.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
$ 59.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!