(Topic ID: 294663)

IDC Connector Question

By dsupica

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Still new to pinball repairs. This is kind of a simple question I think.

I have Dirty Harry machine.

I notice issues with opto board not getting proper signals (ie not triggering action from playfield).

At first I thought maybe an issue with opto itself or maybe the board.

Being new (and not educated enough on this stuff) - I replace opto AND opto board. But issues persist.

I see where fiddling with connector makes opto work suddenly. so seems maybe i need some new connectors.

Most of the connectors are IDC I think.

My question ---It appears that the wires leading into the connector then come outside the back of the connector and go somewhere else. Shouldnt they simply terminate at the connector? On a few wires, it appears they terminate at the connector but then many others look like they go back into a wire bundle. Is this just extra slack in the wire? If one replaces the IDC connector --do you need to splice a piece of new wire in between the intake of the connector and where it departs the connector?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

Connectors often have wires going to and from.

If you replace a connector I'd copy the wiring as it was.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Pics would definitely help with this question.

#4 2 years ago

When you rebuild connectors like that, there are two ways to do it. You use Molex style housings and connectors for either method.

If the wires are small, like 22 gauge, you can cut the wires away from the old connector (one at a time), strip the two ends of the wire, then crimp both stripped ends into a single edge connector designed for thicker 18 gauge wire.

The other option is to crimp an edge connector on to a short piece of wire, then solder (and shrinkwrap) the other two wires to the uncrimped end of the short wire. If a single wire loops back into the same connector, you can use two short wires to each pin, then solder those two wires to the original single incoming wire.

#5 2 years ago

OK. Thanks...Good stuff....

So you wouldnt just get another IDC connector ---but instead get molex crimp pin style.

The first option sounds easier if wire is small

#6 2 years ago

IDC works great in a manufacturing environment, but Molex is the way to go when rebuilding connectors. You can get the crimper, edge connectors and housings at Marco, Pinball Life or Great Plains Electronics.

#7 2 years ago

Pictures are a must if you want more accurate assistance.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

IDC works great in a manufacturing environment, but Molex is the way to go when rebuilding connectors. You can get the crimper, edge connectors and housings at Marco, Pinball Life or Great Plains Electronics.

IDC sucks, those connectors have given me more grief.

If they are working, leave them be but if you suspect connector issues don't hesitate to throw them in the trash and go molex.

#9 2 years ago

If you replace both the connector housing and the header pins on the board, IDC connectors should last a lifetime in home use. If you are routing the machine, go with crimp and stuff (Molex style).
    Terry.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/idc-connector-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.