image-432.jpg
image-327.jpg
image-114.jpg
image-338.jpg
image-490.jpg
image-557.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey guys I'm having a problem with my ID4 super Vuk coil. During gameplay my super Vuk coil stoped working and my 4 pinball's are stuck in the under playfield and the coil won't fire. I went into the test on it and it won't fire during the test. I also got a switch error message. Does anyone have any familiarity on these issues, I'm pretty new into modern games and never had an issue until so I feel like I'm a little out of my element and I'm trying to figure this one out.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-557.jpgimage-557.jpg image-490.jpgimage-490.jpg image-338.jpgimage-338.jpg image-114.jpgimage-114.jpg image-327.jpgimage-327.jpg image-432.jpgimage-432.jpg
#2 8 years ago

did you pull the interlock switch out before testing for it to fire? (i think sega has one)
In switch test, does that switch register by hand?

#3 8 years ago

I bypassed the interlock switch with the door being shut during the test.

#4 8 years ago

Still would like to know if the switch itself registers,
I would track down the row that coil is on, check its fuse and I would test the transistor that drives it on the driver board, which is easy enough to do.

It's hard to tell by the picture, but are the lugs of the coil good/soldered on/any breaks?

#5 8 years ago

Fuse for the high powered coils is good. The lugs of the coil are fine and the soldered units are good. How do I test the transistor on the board? Like I said I'm a little out of my element and still new to pinballs. I don't know how to check the switch by hand like you said earlier.

#6 8 years ago

Yeah, should be a problem with the coil or driver otherwise ball search in game play would have kicked
the ball up.

#7 8 years ago

To Test to see if it's shorted, Power off the game and set meter to Buzz tone/diode test.
Next, put the black lead on the ground (strap in the backbox will do) then place red probe on the metal tab of transistor. If you get no reading or it buzzes then that transistor is shorted/bad.

Also try placing the red lead of your DMM on the center leg of the transistor
Probe each of the flanking legs with the black lead
.4 to .6 volts is a normal
Readings outside of this range indicate a failed transistor

There is a switch right under there at that vuk- with the playfield up and in switch test, actvate that switch by hand with your fingers. Is it registering/making a beep on the dmd?

2 years later
#8 6 years ago

I'm having the same issue with my ID4.

Would you mind sharing what the fix was?

Thank you.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from AnIrishGent:

I'm having the same issue with my ID4.
Would you mind sharing what the fix was?
Thank you.

There are mosfet transistors (irl540) that drive the coils , a lot of the time they go bad on vuk on Sega games because its a heavy use. Find the associated mosfet and test it.

#10 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure my solution ended up being that my solder connections were weak on the coil. Check for that as well too..

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

I'm pretty sure my solution ended up being that my solder connections were weak on the coil. Check for that as well too..

Thanks, looks like there is something else causing the issue.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

There are mosfet transistors (irl540) that drive the coils , a lot of the time they go bad on vuk on Sega games because its a heavy use. Find the associated mosfet and test it.

Is it located on the driver board?

I just had both CPU and driver boards repaired.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from AnIrishGent:

Is it located on the driver board?
I just had both CPU and driver boards repaired.

Yes they are, technically they can zap out at anytime. Aside from a broken coil lug or wire off the coil, I would first check the connector associated with that VUK, sometimes the wires pull out a little from the connector on Segas and that's all it takes.

#14 6 years ago

After hours of head scratching; it turned out to be a broken wire (yellow-violet).

Thanks for the help guys.

#15 6 years ago

Glad to hear you got it working again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Midlothian, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/id4-super-vuk-not-firing?hl=anirishgent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.