• 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Erik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980
  • Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P1011592.JPG

#1 7 years ago

Anybody recognize this cabinet? It is a Stern machine, but I do not remember seeing this art before. It is a really nice original cabinet, but the game in it is a Meteor. The Meteor guts were moved over into this cabinet at some point, so I am guessing this may have been a raw cabinet bought to replace the original one. The original Meteor cabinet looks like it burnned up, as there is smoke damage to some of the parts put into this cabinet, with no smoke damge anywhere on this cabinet.
I have searched IPDB and see nothing that matches. It is a standard size machine.
Thank you.
Paul
facebook / wisconsin pinball sales & service

P1011592.JPG

#2 7 years ago

I thought it was sea witch, but looked it up and im wrong. not sure

#3 7 years ago

I did the same thing, and also checked cosmic princess...no luck.

#4 7 years ago

Almost looks like a redo of Quicksilver - but this is more a space theme

Sure its a Stern?

#5 7 years ago

Either a Stern or Chicago Coin. I like the artwork a lot but I can't seem to find a match on IPDB.

#6 7 years ago

I don't think it is a stern cabinet....I'm thinking something similar to a stern, like a knockoff...Taito, Sega, Atari maybe?

#7 7 years ago

I'm looking too. its a mystery! Lets see who can find it first.

wow, I give up.

its not a Sonic or Zaccharia, or Stern, certainly not a Bally , not a Playmatic, not a Taito, not a Game Plan..

I'm completely stumped.

#8 7 years ago

I have been doing this along time and I had never seen this cabinet before. It is is for sure a Stern cabinet. I am beginning to think it may be a sample type cabinet that was sold to an operator as just an empty cabinet. Looking closer at it, I think the original Meteor was involved in a fire that damaged the cabinet, and this one was obtained to rebuild it. With all the work it took I would say the game must have been fairly new. The playfield is near mint on this thing, and every thing was moved over from the old game. So maybe this is a game they never really made...?

That is my thinking on it at the moment.
Paul
facebook / wisconsin pinball-sales & service

#9 7 years ago

I'll post in on RGP...see if anyone has a clue

#10 7 years ago

is there a serial number on it? Im wondering if its a S (sample) series or not

#11 7 years ago

I have not seen any numbers on it at all. Where did Stern stamp them on the early ss machines? I looked it over pretty good and saw nothing.
Paul

#12 7 years ago

WMS stamped them under the coin door on the front of the cabinet...Bally underneath the flipper on the side of the cabinet. Not sure about stern, but check those two places.

#13 7 years ago

Looked it over real good, no numbers stamped anywhere on it.
Paul

#14 7 years ago

Paul, I gotta say I really love the design.
Please make a set of stencils and let us other Stern owners have some fun with the Blue Banshee.
or if you would, could you just post pix of all four sides?

Since it doesn't have a name , that's what I want to call her..
I'm ready to paint my Meteor in this style, then there will be two of them, at the very least.
In fact, I just scored another Meteor, how about three? I'll bet there's other pinsiders who would want to do this, too, for Stern titles that aren't that rare, like Meteor. (over 10,000 built, common.)
Who wants to design the Blue Banshee backglass? This is an amazing find, at least I think so.
She needs a name, assuming one cannot be found.
The Banshee is one badass female spirit being that people actually believe in, if you go to Ireland and Scotland.

-Scott

#15 7 years ago

I think I will pass on the stencil idea, but someone can certainly own this cabinet! It is some of the finest stencil work I have seen on a pinball... but do they have Banshees in outer space?
Paul

#16 7 years ago

Paul,

You've got the crowd on RGP scratching their heads too....Can you post a picture of the inside of the cabinet? Maybe if we see the interior we can determine who made it by the construction...

Also, what was on the head? Meteor or this game?

#17 7 years ago

Pictures of all four sides, please!

#18 7 years ago

I think we may be onto something....

Take a look at the flyer for Stern Galaxy. Look familiar?

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=980&picno=3701&zoom=1

Credit goes to Jim on RGP....he's thinking this was a prototype cabinet for Stern Galaxy.

If that plays out you need to save this cabinet...And for sure send pictures to IPDB.org

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Credit goes to Jim on RGP....he's thinking this was a prototype cabinet for Stern Galaxy.

+1
I think he is correct too. If you look at the backglass on the Stern Galaxy, the purple color on the lower part of it seems to be the same as the purple on the cabinet in the OP's pic. Also, the art and theme of the proto cabinet is spot on for a Galaxy. (They should have stuck w/ the proto cab design. It looks much better than what the cabinet looks like on the production game.)

#20 7 years ago

Nude woman got canceled at the last minute because she was too controversial...

..probably.

#21 7 years ago

I think you guys found it! I had looked at Galaxy, but only the cabinet pic and quickly moved on. That is definetly the same lady on the back glass. And it makes sense that this was an odd cabinet sold to replace the burnt one. Now I have to decide if I should fix the game or not. If I do part it, I will try to find someone with a Galaxy that would appreciate the cabinet.
Thanks again to everyone who was looking. It was fun to try to find it however.
Paul
facebook / wisconsin pinball - sales & service

#22 7 years ago

I'd still be interested in seeing all the sides of the art and the inside of the cabinet

#23 7 years ago

Front says "Stern Galaxy" in large purple letters

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 19.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside