(Topic ID: 185732)

Ice Cold Beer (ICB) Owner's Thread

By T-800

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

423422483_1558686934926344_8300007587782340627_n (resized).jpg
    416123486_1139246887456285_774396430134584905_n (resized).jpg
    416292669_1050832426146101_7181769884420433954_n (resized).jpg
    423422721_757114809640750_8348374682024393865_n (resized).jpg
    423454845_438232898929834_1580329146322931042_n (resized).jpg
    416292662_738395971560186_2795630437654137501_n (resized).jpg
    423737594_1123559171902651_2828979632597826302_n (resized).jpg
    ICB Rod Close Up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1967 (resized).png
    3DD8357D-7EB3-42F2-910E-8359DECACFB8 (resized).jpeg
    1ECE5E3C-5F9D-4F23-B0C1-F51AD289FB7A (resized).png
    58262339-C8F2-4766-88B2-362A83CA0BE6 (resized).jpeg
    FDDC55B5-465B-4F07-8E1A-A54AB845BB26 (resized).jpeg
    DB17D4DA-E531-4ED8-8EDB-E901875BDF23 (resized).jpeg
    DBD7F40D-9CD3-438C-BF32-6A150A7EC709 (resized).jpeg
    1A374B46-4A22-491B-9C7B-971787C162C6 (resized).jpeg
    There are 907 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 19.
    #1 7 years ago

I picked up a coveted ICB a few months ago that was in pretty decent shape. Over the last few months though I've been looking online and compiling a list of vendors that sell replacement parts. I also would like to summarize some key tech tips in here as well. There appears to be quite of bit of threads on specific ICB issues, but thought one comprehensive thread would be beneficial.

Also, I'd be very interested to see anything people have done to their ICB's to make them unique/different/etc.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-ice-cold-beer-taito-problems#post-3472391
    Discussion on improving side rail motion. White lithium grease solution.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taito-ice-cold-beer-tilt-game-over-panel-remake#post-3471782
    “Tilt” panel replacement

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-ice-cold-beer-type-game/
    DIY ICB game development

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ice-cold-beer-by-ice-malfunctioning
    ICE Verison troubleshooting

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ice-cold-beer-front-glass-preorder-discount-ends-march-15th
    ICB front glass replacement

http://www.chompingquarters.com/store.php/
    Replacement Decals

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/63-00165-001
    Replacement rubber

#2 7 years ago

Tech Tip: Ice Cold Beer ( ICB ) Ball Search Issue

Last week my game started malfunctioning. It would start-up and continually go through the ball search. I checked the main ball trough switch (behind the plate that opens to release the ball) - voltage, continuity, etc. Everything checked out as good.

Did some more digging and eventually stumbled upon the start button switch. Somehow that had become obliterated (little kids mashing the button over and over?) and was causing a short, reading always closed. I wouldn't have thought it would result in the game going through repetitive ball search, but once I pulled the start switch the game worked just fine. Anyway, something I thought was seemingly unrelated ended up being the issue.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the info.

4 months later
    #4 6 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on what a fair price for an ICE Ice Cold Beer is these days? It's my understanding that the ICE is the less desirable version compared to the Taito.

1 week later
    #5 6 years ago

Anyone know how to set ICB Taito to free play?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkfiv:

There is no free play. I clip to wires with alligator clips to the coin switch tabs and run them out the coin return where I have it hooked to a button. You can do permanent mods, but I don't suggest that.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Anyone have any thoughts on what a fair price for an ICE Ice Cold Beer is these days? It's my understanding that the ICE is the less desirable version compared to the Taito.

I found them to be similarly desirable. I owned both versionat one point and the ICE version is the better one. It has better control and 12 holes instead of 10.

1200-1500 is going rate IME

#8 6 years ago

I mounted a switch on the inside of one of my coin mech brackets in proxmity to one of the coin eject buttons - every time I want to play I just push the coin eject, it pushes the switch, and it adds a credit.

As for which one is more desirable, it depends on what you're looking for. I find the ICE version of ICB ugly as hell and the playfield looks cheap. The form factor just looks off IMO as well. I'd rather have no ICB than an ICE one. But as Whysnow pointed out, the ICE version is arguably better from a play/performance perspective.

I just wish someone would make a custom themed ICB integrated with more rules, a display, great art, etc. and sell it for under $2K, but I think that's a pipe dream based on parts cost unless it came out of China... As is, the game is great, but get's old quick. Wouldn't take much to make it a lot more interesting long term.

As for how much, you're probably looking at $1400 to $1800 for a Taito version. Problem is, people that have them don't really want to sell them.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkfiv:

There's a free play rom hack out there, it works perfectly.

2 months later
    #10 6 years ago

Finally found one after 5 years of looking. New motors and glass on the way.

Anyone have input on these replacement power supplies? Mine works fine but r the originals truly "troublesome"? They appear to be so simple but maybe that's a bad thing?

http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/1182/taito-ice-cold-beer-zekes-peak-power-supply-kit.htm

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beemus:

Mine works fine but r the originals truly "troublesome"?

The only problem I've had was frying some LED lights I installed in the coin door. In a matter of minutes I could smell them burning and then saw them flicker out. Way too hot to change out with a bare hand after that. Not sure if it was the wrong LED to install or what the problem was. (I just grabbed extra LED's I had laying around)

The rest of the LED's in the playfield seem fine but they were of a different type. ....I'm still concerned about them after this experience along with my lack of electrical knowledge.
    I may buy that power supply kit just for peace of mind and I thank you for posting it.

By the way. I sold my ICE, Ice Cold Beer and went back to a Taito. To each his own but I prefer the Taito between the two for functionality, game play and especially for repairs.

I'm glad you finally scored one. I know you've been searching for a long time.

#12 6 years ago

Hey buddy! Those coindoor lamps are 1813 bulbs. 12V so 44/47 lamps (or leds) will cook. I ordered 10 yesterday. Happy to send you a few if you'd like. PM me your addy.

Think I'll grab that power supply too for good measure. Price is nice. Two new motors showed up today. Will install tomorrow. One motor is horribly loud though it moves a little quicker than the other. Read up on a couple of causes for the noise I'll look into as well.

#13 6 years ago

Well, I owned one for about 12 years, and havent played in a couple years, but its like riding a bicycle.
    I made it through 3 sets of 10 holes yesterday. My record was 6-7 sets.

Is there anything in code way down the line of the game?
    How many runs have you guys "high scored"?
    (I dont remember the points)

I made some hole plugs, and put some in some holes to make it easier
    when we had kids parties........

#14 6 years ago

hey Beemus ..........where did you get the new motors from....post a link if you have one please

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

hey Beemus ..........where did you get the new motors from....post a link if you have one please

Yes, where did you find the motors?

#16 6 years ago

I have one of the replacement power supplies on mine but I can’t get the game to work. When I power it on, the motors spin and that’s it. No light or anything else.

#17 6 years ago

It would be cool if the target holes would change from game to game or once you make it to round two...three....

#18 6 years ago

Some ragtag pinball outfit back east has them

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/59-00063-001

Read something about having to use different screws, shaft length but will find out for myself shortly.

#19 6 years ago

Can you all imagine if ICB had custom rules and a retheme that fit? I can think of dozens of variations that would take this one trick pony snd make it really fun and have that "one more game" factor. Problem is the cost is so prohibitive that most people i think would balk at it and then the pinside haters would blow up over how much a new and improved ICB would cost NIB. Fun to dream... speaking od that, i havent seen much on that thread where they were building a custom game...

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Can you all imagine if ICB had custom rules and a retheme that fit? I can think of dozens of variations that would take this one trick pony snd make it really fun and have that "one more game"

Like having the second board begin at the top and you have to work your way down. Even better if the bar could load and begin at the top.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Like having the second board begin at the top and you have to work your way down. Even better if the bar could load and begin at the top.

That's a start! I'm thinking even more elaborate rules and many that are more heads up based to make the game more fun in social settings. Maybe one day...

#22 6 years ago

Those Marco motors are an easy install. Just needed to use shorter mounting screws. Tip: the lug with the red dot takes the black wire... at least on my machine.

Nice that the playfield is only held on with two wing nuts. Easy to remove from the game to swap motors. Used the opportunity to clean the bars too.

And finally got the 10 hole tonight for the first time ever while the wife watched :p

1 week later
    #23 6 years ago

Any of you ICB owners ever order these belts from marco? The original were orange and these look to be clear. Probably fine but don't want to have to place a 2nd order somewhere else.

#24 6 years ago

*photo didn't load

Screenshot_20171127-004755 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171127-004755 (resized).png

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Any of you ICB owners ever order these belts from marco? The original were orange and these look to be clear. Probably fine but don't want to have to place a 2nd order somewhere else.

those work fine for Tatio version. Not for ICE version.

#26 6 years ago

Untested Main Board up on Ebay....

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

those work fine for Tatio version. Not for ICE version.

Why not in ICE, are the pulleys a different size?

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Why not in ICE, are the pulleys a different size?

different length between pulleys. For ICE you just use the orange windshiel washer tubes. I think Pinball resource still sells them.

3 weeks later
    #30 6 years ago

I just picked one up this week! Anyone happen to know what the two red buttons on the right side when you open the coin door are for? In figure 29 of the manual ( https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/I/icecoldbeer.pdf ) says they might be freeplay and ticket test button but not sure. Nothing happens when they are pushed and a freeplay button would be nice without modification. Also the one has a white wire not connected to anything that goes to the coin door

IMG_2817 (resized).JPGIMG_2817 (resized).JPG

IMG_2815 (resized).JPGIMG_2815 (resized).JPG

IMG_2816 (resized).JPGIMG_2816 (resized).JPG

#31 6 years ago

Freeplay can be achieved via a ROM hack or via a hardware hack to the credit switch.

I dont revall those red buttons on mine. When im home later I can check and also see what that white wire goes to.

2 weeks later
    #32 6 years ago

I'm hoping someone can give me some help or point me in the right direction on my ICE version with the 2 issues I'm having:
    Rarely when adding coins the game goes into error mode and makes a star trek siren sound. The coin mechs and switches are in good shape. I have to power cycle the game to clear the error.
    Once a credit is added the game automatically starts. I'm not sure if this is normal or not but doesn't seem right to me. You can't play a multiplayer game like this. The game is set for continues and will not auto start to continue, you have to press the button to do so. If the timer runs out it will then auto start a fresh game.

3 months later
    #33 5 years ago

Finally! I ended a year and a half long search for an ICB tonight! Found it on Craigslist, and drove 6-hrs round-trip to retrieve. Currently non-working, but it is complete and in a respectable condition. I have visions of grandeur for it.

If you don't mind, please let me know of any must-do bulletproofing you guys would recommend. The belts are as hard as pencils and fall apart when you touch them, so that is an obvious starting point. I also was going to pull the boards and replace any electrolitic caps, and the memory battery, before powering it on.

Lastly, and in the interest of providing an additional data point on the current pricing/market of these games... I gave $1750 for this one (5/1/2018), and don't regret it (yet, at least!).

IMG_20180501_203111 (resized).jpgIMG_20180501_203111 (resized).jpg

#34 5 years ago

cross posting since seems to be 2 threads for ICB

I have a pretty nice ICE ICB version (the one with 2 extra holes; 12 holes total) that I have considered selling or trading recently.

I know the ICE one is more rare, but no idea on current market on these. Thoughts?

#35 5 years ago

Wonder if there is an interest in a reprint of the Tilt Panel? Would need a minimum of 30 takers to make the run possible. Also wondering if people would object to a polypropylene sticker instead of silkscreening. Thoughts?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taito-ice-cold-beer-tilt-game-over-panel-remake

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Wonder if there is an interest in a reprint of the Tilt Panel? Would need a minimum of 30 takers to make the run possible. Also wondering if people would object to a polypropylene sticker instead of silkscreening. Thoughts?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taito-ice-cold-beer-tilt-game-over-panel-remake

Also a great question to post on klov

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Wonder if there is an interest in a reprint of the Tilt Panel?

I'm interested.

2 months later
    #38 5 years ago

Anyone want to sell? I live near DC.

1 month later
    #39 5 years ago

I have one in PA asking $3,200 sent you a PM.

IMG_4211 (resized).JPGIMG_4211 (resized).JPG
    #40 5 years ago

Question for owners. Where are your bubbles?
    I have 2 machines and one has bubbles (white dots) on the glass that align with each numbered hole. The other, the bubbles/dots are randomly placed. See pics.

A38CBA24-A026-4D37-8491-90FFAB304965 (resized).jpegA38CBA24-A026-4D37-8491-90FFAB304965 (resized).jpegF81191EE-B815-4DA6-9FA9-8ADA7BD8DABA (resized).jpegF81191EE-B815-4DA6-9FA9-8ADA7BD8DABA (resized).jpeg
    #41 5 years ago

My original glass and new replacement from Phoenix Arcade have the “bubbles” aligned with the numbered holes.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

My original glass and new replacement from Phoenix Arcade have the “bubbles” aligned with the numbered holes.

Same here.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Same here.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beemus:

Question for owners. Where are your bubbles?
    I have 2 machines and one has bubbles (white dots) on the glass that align with each numbered hole. The other, the bubbles/dots are randomly placed. See pics.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

My guess is that the second one is misprinted.
    It looks like the bubble pattern is the same if you flipped the glass vertically on the second one.
    Maybe the screen was inverted when they screened it?
    Are the bubble printed on the inside or outside of the glass?

#45 5 years ago

It sure looks like an upside down print. Paint is inside the glass.

By the way. I just installed one of those plastic tubs on eBay. Had to move the lost ball upkicker coil assembly a little to the right (filled/drilled new mount holes) and use a longer plunger (shooter) but it works as it should. I have another on the way for my other machine.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beemus:

It sure looks like an upside down print. Paint is inside the glass.
    By the way. I just installed one of those plastic tubs on eBay. Had to move the lost ball upkicker coil assembly a little to the right (filled/drilled new mount holes) and use a longer plunger (shooter) but it works as it should. I have another on the way for my other machine.

Sounds like these were printed in multiple stages and they they had the screen upside-down when they screen printed it.

#47 5 years ago

Question for Taito ICB owners-
    I just replaced a motor/and gear assembly (on the right side), and also installed a free-play ROM. Everything works great, but now the ball seems to hit the glass often. It happens every time the ball gets first put on the rail (comes out of the hole, "tinks" off the glass, then settles on the rail). Perhaps it was doing it before, but I think I would have noticed.

Does this happen on your machines?

#48 5 years ago

I wouldn’t sell mine for less than 5k. Absolutely one of my favorites in my Arcade!

#49 5 years ago

The rails that the bar moves on shouldn’t be affected by new motors. Check that the glass is in place, the control panel locked down and the game is leveled.

My other ICB has new motors from Marco Specialties and no increased glass hits.

#50 5 years ago

Thanks-
    Control panel locked, glass properly in place. Do you have any glass hits? Every time the ball is served it clinks-

There are 907 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ice-cold-beer-icb-owners-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.