Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by terryb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Can an 7402 be replaced with a 74LS02? I've tried looking at the datasheets and the output voltages are a little higher on the LS. Does this matter?
    LS
    http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/46287.pdf

Plain 7402
    http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/49015.pdf

#2 12 years ago

Yes....The 7402's were original TTL high power consumption, slow response. The 74LS02 is a low power consumption version, faster response and will work just fine.

3 months later
    #3 11 years ago

Hate to rehash, but what about 74S02?

#4 11 years ago

Just to touch on this topic for future users.

-NO- you cannot always replace 7402's with 74LS02's.
    There are several occasions where there is a high current load on the 7402. The 74LS02 cannot provide nearly as much current as a 7402 can.

There is no simple answer to this one. In many cases, you can replace 7402's with 74LS02's or the newer 74HCT02's. This is whenever the load on the '02 is light such as only driving a couple other logic IC's. But, when driving high current loads (e.g. Williams Solenoid drivers), you must use a high current device such as another 7402 or 74S02 or 74F02.

When in doubt - ask here. But make sure you also mention where the part is used in addition to the part number.

Ed

#5 11 years ago

A little OT:

Any idea when you'll get stock of the machine pin strips, Ed?

I've been holding off on an order, hoping you'll get some more in stock!

#6 11 years ago

Thanks GPE. Much appreciated. I have a couple of different coils out on my high speed and I've traced it back to the 7402 chips (2 separate chips). In this application I don't believe 74LS02 would have a high enough output as you mentioned, but I was thinking the 74S02 would do the trick, since It has a much higher output. Do you think it would work for this application?

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from dbeeson:

I have a couple of different coils out on my High Speed and I've traced it back to the 7402 chips (2 separate chips). In this application I don't believe 74LS02 would have a high enough output as you mentioned, but I was thinking the 74S02 would do the trick, since It has a much higher output. Do you think it would work for this application?

Yep.
    For IC's such as these Wms drivers -- the output goes straight to a 560 ohm pullup resistor.
    For these to pull this load low to 0.8V maximum - the IC must sink (5V - 0.8V) / 560 ohms =~ 8mA.
    A standard 7402 can sink 16mA max so works fine.
    A 74LS02 can sink 8mA maximum so you are pushing the limits on this one.
    A 74HCT02 maxes out at about 4mA - won't work.
    Both 74S02 and 74F02 can sink 20mA (more than the standard 7402).

74HCT02 is a good part for light loads as it barely uses power (compared to others). But, the 74HCT02 can barely drive anything.
    74F02 and 74S02 are heavy hitters - can drive heavy loads. And they are fast...which can be both a plus and a minus (speed = generates noise and consumes lots of power).
    For driving heavy transistor loads - stick with the 7402 , 74F02 or 74S02.

To answer Fireball... I ordered a ton of 20 pin SIP sockets and I got a ton of 20 pin DIP sockets instead. Won't be reordering for awhile as I'm currently working on a large connector order.

Ed

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Just to touch on this topic for future users.
    -NO- you cannot always replace 7402's with 74LS02's.

Welcome Ed!

Yeah, I should have been more clear for anyone searching this thread....My response to Bill was a carryover from another thread and I knew where he was replacing the 7402, and in that application, he COULD replace it with a 74LS02. But you're right....not always, so thanks for the clarification.

#9 11 years ago

Ed is the man! Glad to see you here as well.

To everyone that doesn't know, this is who you see for any parts needed.

#10 11 years ago

I agree, Ed has done a lot for pinheads.

Anything I need electronic wise for pinball, I now check his website first.

p.s.

...thanks Ed. I'll go ahead and get ready to order without the machine pin strips being in stock first.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Ed is the man! Glad to see you here as well.
    To everyone that doesn't know, this is who you see for any parts needed.

when I can't get the right stuff from my local shop, I always order from Ed.

I'm overseas but Ed's S&H is affordable, and he always has the right stuff for your pinball. I always prefer waiting longer but fixing my pin as it should be, with proper parts.

regards
    Buk

#12 11 years ago

Great info. Want to make sure I'm not missing something. Wouldn't the NTE7402 be the easiest solution for any application?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ic-substitutes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.