1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Wasman50
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8958 (resized).JPG
    Bingo_Chips.png
    Image 12-29-20 at 11.07 PM (resized).jpg
    Image 12-29-20 at 11.06 PM (resized).jpg
    Image 12-28-20 at 12.56 PM (resized).jpg
    Image 12-28-20 at 12.55 PM (resized).jpg
    IMG_9556 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9562 (resized).JPG
    Image 12-28-20 at 12.21 PM (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Defective IC chip: 16006625. It is overheating. Can anyone help me find one? I have a 1979 Dixieland Bingo that was converted to solid state. I don't know anything about it. It will be socketed, not soldered, which is the good news. Can I get a data sheet? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Jack

#3 1 year ago

That 1600xxxx number is an internal Delco Electronics number, and quite an old one. If it is a 40 pin dip, then it is likely a custom automotive version (tested for automotive environmental conditions). You will have a hard time sourcing a replacement for that specific numbered part. It is likely a Motorola 6802 or 6808. Any markings on the circuit board that the part is on? The part most likely is a reject or surplus from the units tested for Delco.

#4 1 year ago

Hi! I appreciate all the help and suggestions you can give me. My Board is currently at a Pinball Friend's(Dan) house for repair (He lives in Oregon; I live in Pa ). My Dixieland all of a sudden quit working. Tilt light was flashing, but none of the functions worked. Anyways, he was able to induce 5 volts to the Board for simulation. He found 1 bad transistor with the multimeter, and this IC chip was overheating slowly in the middle? Dan isn't familiar with this chip either. I don't know who converted it to solid state. I bought it, drove 5hrs back home, played it for 10 minutes, and then it stopped. I'm a novice to all this pinball mechanics, but really amazed in everyone's knowledge and expertise. All my wires on the playfield seemed to check out with the multimeter. Here are a few photos if they can help any?

IMG_9556 (resized).JPGIMG_9562 (resized).JPGImage 12-28-20 at 12.21 PM (resized).jpgImage 12-28-20 at 12.55 PM (resized).jpgImage 12-28-20 at 12.56 PM (resized).jpg
    #5 1 year ago

Maybe it is a rebranded 6802/6808? There is a crystal located around pin 38+39 where you should expect this for a 6802. There is a resistor network where the pins for the databus are located (pins 26-33); these resistors might be used as pull ups for the databus. Take a look at the datasheet for the 6802 and locate the pins for +5V ( pin 8 ) and Ground (pins 1 + 21) and see if they match. Is there a NVRAM used? You can test for continuity from the R/W line from the NVRAM to the pin where you expect R/W for a 6802 (pin34).

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

Is there a NVRAM used? You can test for continuity from the R/W line from the NVRAM to the pin where you expect R/W for a 6802 (pin34).

Good call MarAlb, you could be onto something. The NVRAM is the MK48Z02B-20 chip next to the EPROM, datasheet says pin 21 on the MK48Z02B-20 is the the R/W pin.
    BTW it's most likely the internal battery in the NVRAM has now extinguished being 33 years old.

#7 1 year ago

The IC chip 16006625, in the 2nd picture, is located at the bottom left, and is the largest horizontal chip. I don't have a datasheet on anything, and don't have a schematic for the Dixieland Bingo. I need a replacement, hopefully with a datasheet, to know how it is programmed and for what?
    Jack

#8 1 year ago

Hi! I added 2 more photos, hopefully for someone to see the surrounding chips, and help identify the 4-pin IC in this chip set. Again I'm going to need a datasheet and replacement part for it. This 1978 Bally Dixieland was upgraded from it's original 100% electro-mechanical design to a solid-state electronic set of boards. All help is appreciated! Thanks again!
    Jack

Image 12-29-20 at 11.06 PM (resized).jpgImage 12-29-20 at 11.07 PM (resized).jpg
    #9 1 year ago

MarAlb gave you a pretty good starting point and it's worth the few minutes to check. To elaborate:

Here's the pinouts for the 6802/6808 CPU plus the 27128 EPROM and the MK48Z02B NVRAM on your board.
    Do some continuity checks from the 40 pin chip pins 33 - 26 (which may be data lines) and see if they connect to the corresponding data pins at the EPROM. Check some of the lower address lines between the 40 pin chip and the EPROM for continuity too. See if the crystal is connected to pins 38 and 39 of the 40 pin chip, and also check if the ground (VSS) / 5V (VCC) pins match the below.

That Delco chip just might be a rebranded Motorola 6802/6808 CPU. It has the typical Motorola plastic package dimples from that era.

BTW the black electrolytic capacitor in the middle of the board looks like it's bulging. I'd be weary of other chips being fried considering the Delta chip is getting hot and the regulator has previously gone up in flames.

Bingo_Chips.png

#10 1 year ago

Thanks guys for the feedback and excellent diagnosis! I will pass this on to Dan ( my pinball engineer who has the Board ). With your great input and his expertise, he will do the investigation. My New Year's wish is to resurrect my Dixieland. It's been out of commission since July! I will publish his findings on this site. Thank You!
    Jack

IMG_8958 (resized).JPG

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside