New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 202617)

IAAPA 2017 Stern Guardians of the Galaxy & JJP Pirates

By mnpinball

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 406 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BenLogan
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 58 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1447 (resized).JPG
IMG_1472 (resized).JPG
IMG_4422 (resized).PNG
20171118_193251 (resized).jpg
20171118_113419 (resized).jpg
20171118_112802 (resized).jpg
20171118_112549 (resized).jpg
20171118_112605 (resized).jpg
20171117_215002 (resized).jpg
small_world_sign1-goldhaber (resized).jpg
060A00FE-8CAE-4008-8C82-B3548D82385C (resized).jpeg
GOTG 3 (resized).jpg
IMG_2652 (resized).JPG
0ADD069A-C47A-481F-B506-93A3C885CCFF (resized).jpeg
EDA6663F-930A-4A54-82D7-3B49883EE4B2 (resized).jpeg
B40A3AE8-2522-4B3D-89E8-1CB815D110CC (resized).jpeg

There are 406 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
#301 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So the playfield that they are going to sell the customers is untested? Please tell me what the difference is oh smart one? Are you going to really try and tell me that the playfields that the customers will be getting won’t dimple? I guess you think that JJP puts low quality playfields in their games and takes them to all of the shows for customers to see all beat up and trashed right? Give me a F break Jarhead!

Wow. You're in your own little world, aren't you? Just go ahead and ignore long established facts. It makes you look really smart and reasonable.

I freaking hate what the new blood collectors bring to this hobby. Willful ignorance, fanboyism, and militancy. What a fun combo we have in these guys.

#302 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Throw a 1inch steel ball at your hardwood floor, report back......

Iceman was just being funny and making a joke.

#303 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

WTF, why is my POTC PF all moon cratered up?

Pirates of the Craterbeing.

#304 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Wow. You're in your own little world, aren't you? Just go ahead and ignore long established facts. It makes you look really smart and reasonable.
I freaking hate what the new blood collectors bring to this hobby. Willful ignorance, fanboyism, and militancy. What a fun combo we have in these guys.

First of all I’m not new to pinball, but it doesn’t take a genius to know that JJP isn’t putting low quality playfields in their games and taking them around to shows for all of their potential customers to see, that would pretty stupid don’t you think? I’m not even knocking JJP playfields either for that matter, I believe that they have good quality playfields for the record but I also KNOW that their playfields dimple just like other playfields do. I guarantee you that there is little to no difference in the playfield in that POTC game then what they will be shipping to their customers once they go into production. The same goes for GOTG, the playfield you see at that show is the same damn playfield that you are going to get in November if you order a brand new GOTG pinball machine. Any fool knows that.

#305 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

You still didn’t tell me the difference in the playfields. I really would like to know. Please share your great wisdom with us pinball noobs.

#306 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

First of all I’m not new to pinball, but it doesn’t take a genius to know that JJP isn’t putting low quality playfields in their games and taking them around to shows for all of their potential customers to see, that would pretty stupid don’t you think? I’m not even knocking JJP playfields either for that matter, I believe that they have good quality playfields for the record but I also KNOW that their playfields dimple just like other playfields do. I guarantee you that there is little to no difference in the playfield in that POTC game then what they will be shipping to their customers once they go into production. The same goes for GOTG, the playfield you see at that show is the same damn playfield that you are going to get in November if you order a brand new GOTG pinball machine. Any fool knows that.

I agree.

#307 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not sure for POTC but. Would assume it is the same as DI. WIth DI JJP showed that they cared to actually have months of play testing on prototype or test machines. These test machines have protoype p,ayfields which are made differently than the production ones. THey are also often a sped up process as thye want to get test games assembled and get the real world valuable feedback.

In short, you are blinded by your support of Stern and often overlook facts about other companies that don't conform with your fan attitude. JJP does in fact put effort into play testing with real world data and they now make many adjustments to the product before it hits end users.

#308 2 years ago

When does Jackie D stream his rip on GOTG?

#309 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Not sure for POTC but. Would assume it is the same as DI. WIth DI JJP showed that they cared to actually have months of play testing on prototype or test machines. These test machines have protoype p,ayfields which are made differently than the production ones. THey are also often a sped up process as thye want to get test games assembled and get the real world valuable feedback.
In short, you are blinded by your support of Stern and often overlook facts about other companies that don't conform with your fan attitude. JJP does in fact put effort into play testing with real world data and they now make many adjustments to the product before it hits end users.

Of course they play test their games and playfields etc, and so does Stern and Spooky and every other company, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not going to be the same kind of playfield in the games that are going to be shipped to customers once they start shipping. I am sure that the playfields that are used in the POTC games are most likely the same as the ones that were used in the DI games. Their playfields are already good quality so no sense to keep wildly changing what works is there? You can call anything a prototype, that doesn’t mean that it’s of a lesser quantity than what the customers are going to be getting. A prototype would actually be the playfield that they intend to use and they are making sure it holds up well. I’ll bet you anything you want that if you get a new POTC game when they come out that it’s going to dimple also just like the one in the picture. Dimpling does not mean low quality, it’s just something that happens to playfields. Some people think prototype means that they just quickly throw a junk playfield into a game knowing it’s going to have clearcoat chipping and dimpling etc, that’s simply not true.

P.S. Shouldn’t you be trying to rip someone off on a pinball machine like you did with AMH instead of chasing me around these forums like a little girl and downvoting me all the time?

#310 2 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

When does Jackie D stream his rip on GOTG?

Monday, not sure which model he will be streaming first though.

#311 2 years ago

Listen build quality is very good with JJP games but we should all agree that they are not immune to playfield dimpiling. If you see a JJPOTC on test with a dimpled playfield it is what it is. Dialed in has the same issue not a huge problem but let's not say it does not exist. Build is usually better with JJP then other manufactures however JJP is far from perfect and We should not keep giving select manufactures a pass when there is an issue that should be addressed. Avoiding an issue because you love a particular company is not helpful to the company or the pinball community. If GOTG was not working at IAAPA there would have been so much negativity on Pinside toward stern. They would have been bullied to know end. I do not like this selective prosecution style of pinball bashing. Fair across the board where all companies are held to the same standard. This is the only way for all companies to maintain there quality and improve there products when needed.

Voice your concerns so when the game goes into final production they can implement the changes to satisfy there customers.

Be nice because it is still in early design phase. We all bitch and push manufactures to show us the very first rendering of the next new title but then 2 days later we bash it because the ink was not dry on the blueprints. Express your concerns but in a professional manner. Otherwise if it was my company I would just wait until I had a finished product before showing anybody anything. Trust me we are all very impatient people none of us want to wait for new pinball information. So be nice!

Thank you

#312 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Throw a 1inch steel ball at your hardwood floor, report back......

Been in my house over 10 yrs now. My balls have hit the floor so often that my hardwood has already leveled itself flat.

#313 2 years ago

I wouldn't call dimpling a defect no matter which manufacturer. GB on the other hand was a different issue because design flaws caused major airballs. I don't know if that is the case with JJPOTC or other games but dimpling is normal to a certain degree and should not be treated has defects unless other design are the cause of it.

#314 2 years ago

Pirates playfield looked different than Dialed in.
Not only could one see marks from proto assembly work, but it did not appear
to have thickness of clearcoat...my eyes suck, but it sure looked that way to me.

#315 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Well said.... ! I know that my ghostbusters in the first 50 plays dimpled like I️ never seen. My wife noticed and she’s not as critical as we are on pinside .

Now my woz and hobbit there are dimples but you can’t really see them

#316 2 years ago

When you see it on a production game bitch all you want. But when it's a game out for demo purposes only please refrain. This machine is not for sale yet. That said if someone gave you the game for free in this condition the last thing you would say is Hey! What's that little mark on the playfield?

Lots of money is being spent to make these games for our enjoyment. Let's all try to be a little nicer here on Pinside. I know I'm still relatively new here on Pinside but come on people. If you like pinball look around alot of good things are happening right now. Smile..God Dammit!

#317 2 years ago

Wow - This thread has taken a turn for the worse with arguing about dimpling and the attacks. Yes, dimpling! The last couple pages are what often make me want to take a break from Pinside.

#318 2 years ago

20171118_112605 (resized).jpg

20171118_112549 (resized).jpg

#319 2 years ago

Dimples- not as deep, but more of them.

20171118_112802 (resized).jpg

#320 2 years ago

20171118_113419 (resized).jpg

#321 2 years ago

we need more vids!

#323 2 years ago

Def shouldn’t have made a joke about the dimpling! wtf

Let’s hear some more about the gameplay from people there. What do you think?

How does the AFM look in person

#324 2 years ago

How is the music and sounds?

Every video I watch I seem to hear the same main song over and over.

#325 2 years ago

That's the first video of a standard potc I've seen. I really want to see what the LE powder coat looks like since I've ordered one

#326 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Alot of the playfields on Dialed In are dimpled FYI.

Are there any playfields that never had a single dimple on it from any manufacturer?

#327 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

How is the music and sounds?
Every video I watch I seem to hear the same main song over and over.

The game is beautiful to look at overall. Software is too early to say how the music and sound are. It will get a lot better for sure. That upper playfield is really cool.

#328 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Are there any playfields that never had a single dimple on it from any manufacturer?

Orbiter 1.

#329 2 years ago
#330 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The game is beautiful to look at overall. Software is too early to say how the music and sound are. It will get a lot better for sure. That upper playfield is really cool.

It kind of reminds me of the boat on Popeye but with rocking action.

#331 2 years ago

The playfield acquires a kind of satin finish over time that is tough to polish back to shiny, and the out hole chips out quite nicely.

LTG : )

#332 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Slugfest

In reality, the sonic games look like brand new in many cases. Just looking at one will likely cause lead poisoning but so woth it...

#333 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The playfield acquires a kind of satin finish over time that is tough to polish back to shiny, and the out hole chips out quite nicely.

I'm pretty sure the question was about dimpling...

#334 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

JJP showed that they cared to actually have months of play testing on prototype or test machines. These test machines have protoype p,ayfields which are made differently than the production ones.

So what's the value of testing if they are gonna use something else in production?

That stupid thinking is why I had to buy a replacement play field for my Woz.

#335 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

So what's the value of testing if they are gonna use something else in production?

Testing of components, ball traps, hardware and many other reasons.....

#336 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Testing of components, ball traps, hardware and many other reasons.....

Yeah, I get all that, , but he was talking specifically about playfields.

#337 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

POTC
» YouTube video

Hey, thats my ugly face, John!

#338 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

What if something just isn't working. A planned shot just doesn't do it. A better idea or art work comes along. What if this did that ? What about that hole there, over here ?

Testing is invaluable before ordering up everything to build the production games.

#339 2 years ago

Just played some games on GOTG Pro. Stern didn't bring the Premium to FPF. Pro is still lots of fun. To me those ramps are magically smooth and flowing like the ball is flying. Would not have worked nearly as well for this theme in metal. The display software looks great with tons of clips from the movies. The sound was not turned up loud enough to make a judgement on the callouts, but I did hear the songs. POTC volume is turned up to ear splitting levels for some dumb reason, so it sounded awful just now when I played. The upper playfield is really cool and I was able to control the ball up there pretty well. Its kind of confusing the way the ball disappears sometimes and also it seems like it pauses when you lose the ball to let you mash the lock bar button enough times to collect all the gold and stuff you built up? One thing I noticed in a fairly long game was that there is constantly a "Gold!" call-out that drove me crazy. As I walked away someone said they hope they fix that soon. The super loud volume surely made it worse than it shouid have been I suppose.

#340 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Multiple test games. Multiple variables. Take the real world data to production.

Far as i know this is current practice and lots of improvements from first woz.

#341 2 years ago

Total Annihilation. Steve approves!

20171118_193251 (resized).jpg

#342 2 years ago

I Will have a special request on my POTCCE. Please don't put that "Jersey Jack" plaque so large on the back box.

Just leave it off please!

#343 2 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Well said.... ! I know that my ghostbusters in the first 50 plays dimpled like I️ never seen. My wife noticed and she’s not as critical as we are on pinside .
Now my woz and hobbit there are dimples but you can’t really see them

Early GB pro was like the moon!

#344 2 years ago

Are they allowing video? I'm still looking for good cleat gotg video.

#345 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

Are they allowing video? I'm still looking for good cleat gotg video.

It best footage you'll get of game play until this next Monday is on the 904PinballZine youtube channel

#346 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Total Annihilation. Steve approves!

Maybe he can learn something new and innovative. Wtf.

Time to hang it up Steve.

#347 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Wow - This thread has taken a turn for the worse with arguing about dimpling and the attacks. Yes, dimpling! The last couple pages are what often make me want to take a break from Pinside.

What's funny is it is the same handful of guys that cause this type of feeling toward this place. I feel like the pinside purge round two needs to happen.

#348 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

What's funny is it is the same handful of guys that cause this type of feeling toward this place. I feel like the pinside purge round two needs to happen.

Who was purged in round one? Seems the same to me.

#349 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Who was purged in round one? Seems the same to me.

Wasn't that when Cornelius was banned? I think I remmeber Odin getting s temp ban for a little while also. But that is about it.

#350 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah yeah it's beautiful. Are there call outs or is this another bulls*** batman where you have to wait a year for more than 5 call outs. Software is too early??? Pros are already starting go out into the general public. I'm getting one Monday.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 406 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside