(Topic ID: 109809)

I would have never thought...quieter is better for scoring...

By Animal

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by appeac
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have you found that you score better on a quieter pin?”

• Yes 6 votes
      40%
    • No 9 votes
      60%

(15 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 9 years ago

So Im doing some work on a mod on my ST game, have the glass off and want to do some testing (playing), so I play it a bit, and, of course, its loud. I don't want to put the glass on since Im making adjustments, so I grab some noise isolating headphones (used for drums) - these totally cut the sound down and start a new game. Next thing I know, Im playing the best ever game and have an all-time high score.

Has anyone else found that a quieter pin helps with scoring??

#2 9 years ago

If you had a head phone jack and noise canceling headphones, it would be a great temporary mod without the price of invisiglass or PDI.

#3 9 years ago

if its too loud, ya aint old and deaf enough yet!

#5 9 years ago

Sweet. Your high score *

* glass off

#6 9 years ago

Would the same affect happen by just turning the sound all the way down with the glass still on?

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from BestShot31:

Would the same affect happen by just turning the sound all the way down with the glass still on?

...almost, but the gameplay sound (as well as the music and shoutouts) was quieter as well.

Quoted from holmstarrunner:

If you had a head phone jack and noise canceling headphones, it would be a great temporary mod without the price of invisiglass or PDI.

neat idea. I wonder if the glass off and the greater visual clarity added to it as well? Ill have to look into headphone jack mods. I wouldn't play like this all the time, but at those times when Im alone and am looking to get a high score, then Id do it...

#8 9 years ago

Some of the better players in our league listen to music through headphones while playing. Of course they may just be listening to affirmations. Some guy with a soothing voice saying:

"You are the coolest guy ever!"
    "Everyone wants to play as well as you!"
    "You are an unstoppable pinball wizard!!"

But seriously, I think there's something to this. Sometimes I crank up the music on a Friday night and turn the sound down on the games, and I do score better even though I've usually had a few. Maybe the game's audio is a distraction.

#9 9 years ago

i think the other senses sharpen bc they aren't distracted by sound. I play better with headphones/ low volume. It's nerves for me, though.

#10 9 years ago

Part of your better scoring may have also been due to the fact that you had the glass off, and could see the ball better. I find my game much easier with no glass on. Makes me want to buy PDI or Invisiglass.

Even my wife who is terrible said she found the game to be much easier with the glass off. I watched her play and she doubled her best high score.

#11 9 years ago

Perhaps with the sound quieter, you remind yourself to slow down and take calculated risks/shots. I know when I'm playing a Tron with a sub, I start trying to play flowball which never works in my favor...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-would-have-never-thoughtquieter-is-better-for-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.