Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Chambahz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago

I would buy a new Chicago Coin, but...
    ...lol

#52 11 years ago

I like old games. Would like to find a nice quality EM game for sure. But I tire of the reflecting back on "how things were". My grandparents tell me they used to have to walk miles to school up a hill too........both ways. For me - nothing was as good as it was in the 80's..... and then I re-watch Battle Star Galactica and think "really!". If you don't like what the new fangled kids are buying for pinball, then don't buy them I guess. Either that or put your time and effort into building a time machine. Cause that's the only way you're going to get back what you want. Have a feeling if you could actually do that though, you might not see things the way you remember them.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

This might be the worst thread yet. I wish Robin would empower the mods to make Stern-esque decisions and delete some posted drivel.

I'll second that.

Stern has sold thousands of pins and there are relatively few complaints. It seems like the price police just need something to whine and complain about even though they never buy anything.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

The quality of the wood sucks, they just don't burn like the good old B/W titles.

I burned them last summer, all I have left is Sterns.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

I'll second that.

Stern has sold thousands of pins and there are relatively few complaints. It seems like the price police just need something to whine and complain about even though they never buy anything.

I get the anger. Its a tough change in the hobby. For a big chunk of guys this world revolved around buying off route games and fixing them up. It let them buy and trade at good prices and build great collections. All at an income level that was normal.
    Now all these NIB pins are here and the new hobby enthusiasm. Worse, it bring in newbies with cash that also buy their old games up.
    Prices get so high they sell but then they cant buy back the old and there is not a huge pot of off route so its pushing them out. Unless they always had the NIB budget they are getting squeezed out of a hobby they loved and worked on for years. Thus anger and I get it.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I get the anger. Its a tough change in the hobby. For a big chunk of guys this world revolved around buying off route games and fixing them up. It let them buy and trade at good prices and build great collections. All at an income level that was normal.
    Now all these NIB pins are here and the new hobby enthusiasm. Worse, it bring in newbies with cash that also buy their old games up.
    Prices get so high they sell but then they cant buy back the old and there is not a huge pot of off route so its pushing them out. Unless they always had the NIB budget they are getting squeezed out of a hobby they loved and worked on for years. Thus anger and I get it.

Nothing stays the same.

Back over thirty years ago I collected German made tin toys. At the start you could afford a large collection, when prices went obscene you could only afford a piece or two.

So if you want to stay in a popular hobby you like and prices go up. You need to change your strategies.

Buy new if you can afford it. Buy used games or fixer uppers if you don't have much of a budget.

Or start with a beater, fix it up and sell it for more. Wash, rinse, repeat until you built the collection you want.

Bitching never solves anything. Adapting does.

LTG : )

#57 11 years ago

I'll second that.

Yeah ... Stern should therefore RAISE prices even more! Call it a "you're lucky we're still here" premium. Lets fuel the pinflation even more. Go Stern!

(Smart-ass sarcasm off)

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

Id buy another new stern but i can't decide ac dc or Avengers

I had to buy both

#59 11 years ago

troll food:

I just ordered my AC/DC Prem. to go with my Tron, SM, FGY and TSPP. TAKE MY MONEY STERN

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Yeah ... Stern should therefore RAISE prices even more! Call it a "you're lucky we're still here" premium. Lets fuel the pinflation even more. Go Stern!
    (Smart-ass sarcasm off)

Never said Stern should raise prices. I miss the old days too. Pinball is the same as anything else, inflation keeps winning. The funny thing is that new Sterns cost less than "A" list Bally Williams games. Collecters are causing prices to go up, not manufacturers.

#62 11 years ago

I think pins are expensive because they are expensive to make. Smaller factories, higher labor costs, and less revenue to offset the cost of overhead. I know there is a lot of complaints about price for new machines, but I honestly don't think Stern is rolling in dough right now. And I don't think any new companies will be rolling in dough (especially if people think they can undercut Stern in price and produce a better product).

Competition is going to push everyone to do better, but I think there is a lot of wishful thinking that we'll see huge improvements to quality and huge drops in prices. There just isn't a way of making money doing that.

#63 11 years ago

49 thumbs-down on the original post - that has to be some kind of new record.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Xmen is a masterpiece design, so I must disagree there
    Thank you Mr. Borg!

Sure, the design is great but several of the machines show up non-functioning due to poor build quality. I am pretty sure thats what OP is saying.

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Sure, the design is great but several of the machines show up non-functioning due to poor build quality. I am pretty sure thats what OP is saying.

He specifically said the designs were lazy, Xmen (and Avengers) are great layouts.

edit-vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

It's just the stuff within the past few years. Seems like their designs have gotten lazier

Email Borg and Gomez and tell him how lazy they are

#67 11 years ago

The OP has to have the record for the most thumbs down, on a single post.

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Didn't work out so well for the individuals that waited on Tron's and AC/DC's

2 out of how many?? I like my odds with this approach. Maybe moving forward that could change.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

...I like my games to be made with better than 24-gauge wire.
    ...I find it too amazing that games made over a decade ago have more going on
    ...I don't like parts being broken right out of the box.
    Anyone else feel like for the money, the newer games should offer a little more?

I totally agree. Knuckleheads are overpaying for sub-par games... thus Stern keeps making sub-par games & keeps charging more for them, & they will keep doing this until it stops. This bubble will burst. I'd have less problem with prices as long as the talent & quality put into the games was at least in the same ball park as the old B/W standards.
    It is that simple for me.

But some people are simply NIB whores. Nothing wrong with that, as some people just want something new & shiny, regardless of cost. Yeah it kinda screws things up for the rest of us, but I really don't like to complain because there are a ton of good affordable games out there that these same people choose to pass up. & like I said, something is gonna give eventually. & as long as pinball stays popular, somebody will start cranking out top notch games again consistently, if not B/W themselves.

When you look at the prices people are paying for 80's & 90's B/W titles, beat up or not, that alone should speak volumes about what people really think about 21st century Sterns.

#70 11 years ago

who cares??

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from robx46:

thus Stern keeps making sub-par games

Yeah, Avengers, AC/DC, Tron, IM all subpar, do you believe any of the crap you write?

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Yeah, Avengers, AC/DC, Tron, IM all subpar, do you believe any of the crap you write?

i believe that all those games are subpar too. just because you disagree, doesn't mean he's lying. get over it.

play what you like. post about what you like. don't get your panties in a bunch.

-jon

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i believe that all those games are subpar too

Defend that statement and explain how bad they are.

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Defend that statement and explain how bad they are.

i'll get right on that.

#75 11 years ago

How many times can you rebadge a stern bashing thread.

Who gives a shit if you'd buy a new stern or not. Buy none, buy fifty - who gives a toss.

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Now 57. It should be called the Stern Fan Club button.

#77 11 years ago

Stern has sold thousands of pins and there are relatively few complaints.

Um, welcome to Pinside, this is a great place to enjoy all things pinball. You may find some older posts of interest. Immediately following release of a pin and for the next twelve months, people descibe a few of the issues they have with that title. I wish folks would quit making these things up. People can be so mean.

#78 11 years ago

I'm glad there's demand for new pins, as well as the vintage stuff. It keeps the hobby going. One alternative would be to have no companies making new pins, which is where this industry nearly was for several years. That would suck for everyone. Bad, really bad.

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I wish folks would quit making these things up. People can be so mean.

I really wish it was made up. Hopefully, Stern will step it up.

I wish them the best.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Now 57. It should be called the Stern Fan Club button.

Or people are just tired of the same old Stern bashing from the same people over and over. Same can be said for the WOZ bashers. This thread was only created to start shit and it needs to be closed, it deserves the thumbs down.

Pappy

#81 11 years ago

So is there any other manufacturer that makes or has made pinball machines in the past? All I ever hear is Stern, JJP, and B/W. I'm sure someone out there had to make one before them.

Obviously I'm joking, just notice every time threads like this come up you would think B/W was the only company to ever make pins prior to Stern, etc.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I think the record is 86 thumbs down, but the day is young

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-one-looking-for-pinballswizard-of-oz-and-morecheck-this-out

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Or people are just tired of the same old Stern bashing from the same people over and over. Same can be said for the WOZ bashers. This thread was only created to start shit and it needs to be closed, it deserves the thumbs down.
    Pappy

Agreed. At the least the mods have the decency to put the JJP troll threads out of their misery.

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Pappy

Where's the line between "bashing" and legitimate complaints? I neither support or reject the OPs position - but I do support people being able to speak their mind if they're not happy. It seems that if anyone says anything but nice things the Holy Defense Brigade marches in to cry foul.

Post edited by pinster68

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Where's the line between "bashing" and legitimate complaints?

I own a game and list issues = Legitimate complaint. I dont buy and have not bought something and make posts about how it sucks = bashing.

Even stating why you dont care for game on thread can have its place.
    Not productive to the forum to start threads on why I hate Stern or Williams or JJP.

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I own a game and list issues = Legitimate complaint. I dont buy and have not bought something and make posts about how it sucks = bashing.
    Even stating why you dont care for game on thread can have its place.
    Not productive to the forum to start threads on why I hate Stern or Williams or JJP.

Yup. All one needs to do is venture into one of the many game specific or problem specific threads to see Stern owners legitimately and rightly bitch up a storm. Games have problems. Stern has QC issues. I don't think anybody denies that. But if you label all Stern releases cheap, inferior, and not worth owning yeah, some people are going to have a problem that.

#87 11 years ago

Time for someone to start a "I would buy a WOZ or TH, but...." thread and see how many minutes it lasts.

#88 11 years ago

wow! 66 thumbs down. what is the record?

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from crank:

I hate my Sterns. I'm waiting for summer so I can use them for firewood.

Better not wait too long, once it starts getting humid those cabinets will swell up to twice there size. They day they started making the cabinets out of the same cardboard they were shipped is when I started being really careful when cleaning the cabinets.

#90 11 years ago

WHY WON'T THIS THREAD DIE?

On a more serious note, I would consider buying a newer Stern if:
    1. There were less quality complaints / I didn't have to be afraid of buying something that won't be serviceable in a few years.
    2. The playfields looked nicer... Somehow, the B/W, Gottlieb, and Data East playfields look much nicer than Stern and Sega to me. Stern (and Sega) look like they were basically printed out, laminated, and glued to the playfield. I'm probably not describing this well, but the playfields look "cheap" in comparison to other, now-extinct manufacturers.

That said I'm glad they're still around; I really hope both they and JJP thrive. Hopefully they also continue to produce new parts that are clearly wear parts (or parts that just tend to break) for their older machines.

#91 11 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

Better not wait too long, once it starts getting humid those cabinets will swell up to twice there size. They day they started making the cabinets out of the same cardboard they were shipped is when I started being really careful when cleaning the cabinets.

Yeah, Duane cringes everytime I spray Windex on to clean the glass.

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from crank:

Yeah, Duane cringes everytime I spray Windex on to clean the glass.

I'd be more worried wiping the cheap ink right off the side. Good thing the newer games have stickers on the side.

#93 11 years ago

The cool thing is that I don't have to buy shakers anymore. They're so flimsy they shake when the ball is on the playfield.

#94 11 years ago

What a load. I got a very nice AFM and TOTAN this week. Been playing a lot of pinball and in the end ACDC and TAV ate their lunch every time. Just much more fun and stuff going on.
    Sorry but Stern makes one hell of a game and they are not just decent but top games of all time.

#95 11 years ago

Funny, my NIB AC/DC plays fantastic and looks just as good. Taxes in, that was about $7,500 CDN.
    Let's compare that with the $9,300 paid for an AFM. Bumpers needed work. Lots of cleaning required. Flippers needed some attention. Cab decals faded on one side. Couple dings out of the back box. Coin door sticks a little. PF glass has to be inserted slowly...

So ummm... I sure hope you didn't pay much for the crack you've been smoking.

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Was it satisfying and gratifying to see ACDC sink after being #1 for a few days ?? I found it so unfair.

I love the fact that Stern have continued to put out new games, rather than pack up with pinball and move into something more profitable, like slots. And I love playing Tron and ACDC out on location here in Ottawa. Plus, TSPP and LOTR are two of my favourite games! But honestly, it WAS satisfying to see ACDC fall from the top, because while ACDC is a good solid game, and I love the theme and music, it is just not in the same league as Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Medieval Madness, etc. It really didn't deserve to be at the very top, and I'm quite comfortable with where it sits in the top 100 right now, neither overrated nor underrated, just right.

But that's just my sentiments. I'm sure some will agree and some will not. And that's okay, because that's what starts interesting discussions and that's what we're all here for, are we not?

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from ink_blot:

I love the fact that Stern have continued to put out new games, rather than pack up with pinball and move into something more profitable, like slots. And I love playing Tron and ACDC out on location here in Ottawa. Plus, TSPP and LOTR are two of my favourite games! But honestly, it WAS satisfying to see ACDC fall from the top, because while ACDC is a good solid game, and I love the theme and music, it is just not in the same league as Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Medieval Madness, etc. It really didn't deserve to be at the very top, and I'm quite comfortable with where it sits in the top 100 right now, neither overrated nor underrated, just right.But that's just my sentiments. I'm sure some will agree and some will not. And that's okay, because that's what starts interesting discussions and that's what we're all here for, are we not?

AFM TZ and TAF are great games for sure. May be ACDC is not as good ( but I have a different opinion ). But now contemplate TOTAN and TOM in the top 10 ( they were top 10 last time I checked ). Mentally swap the Williams logo with Stern and swear these two pins would remain in the top 10. You would rather see comments on how cheap the Magic trunk is...

Yes there are legitimate concerns about Stern quality but it often translate into bashing.

#98 11 years ago

If it weren't for Stern,I would have never found the pin I've been looking for since this hobby began 15 years ago. Yes,AC/DC LE. Now I can rest in peace. Thank you Stern.

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

I'd be more worried wiping the cheap ink right off the side. Good thing the newer games have stickers on the side.

Yeah, I accidently wiped off half the I on my IM. Can you come over on Friday and touch it up for me?

#100 11 years ago

LMAO! 76 thumbs down. I literally haven't opened the thread since I posted "thumb him down and walk away"...Robin should keep records such as this at it surely will have one. Great stuff.

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-would-buy-a-new-stern-but/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.