The-wiz-1978.jpg
Captain-Eo.jpg
hittler_bally.jpg
Hitler_pin.jpg
autopsy.jpg
michael-jackson-431.jpg
tom_jones.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I guess it depended on what kind of people you hung out with.

All of my friends absolutely hated MJ, his monkey and his music.

When Thriller came out, we were listening to Iron Maiden, The Misfits, Negative Approach and Motorhead.

Rolling Stone readers had voted MJ "Worst Male Singer" (still have that issue somewhere, MJ got voted worst in 5 or 6 categories) .

If somebody would have worn a leather jacket in any other color than black, I'd hate to think what would have happened to them, LOL.

Same here. I can't think of any one of my friends at the time who actually listened to or liked Michael Jackson. I suppose it would be similar to a group of college kids today who like good music and one of them admitted to liking Justin Beiber or Victoria Justice.

Back when Thriller was in full swing, I used to workout at a fitness club three days a week. They played the local pop/light rock station on the radio and it drove me crazy. Day after day I would hear the songs off of Thriller over and over. I had no idea who this "woman" was singing these songs, but I knew that I could not stand her. Back then we didn't have ipods and the current Sony walkmen were out of my college student budget, so I suffered through. Then one day I turned on MTV and saw Michael Jackson singing one of these songs and realized that this woman whose music I could not stand was actually this person Michael Jackson who I'd been hearing so much about.

#103 10 years ago

it would have to go hee hee and all the other jacko noises when you hit targets lol

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When Thriller came out, we were listening to Iron Maiden, The Misfits, Negative Approach and Motorhead.

And all that good stuff! I remember listening to my favorite alt rock station, and long before the hip hop type stations were playing any of it, they threw Beat It on, and mentioned here is a brand new MJ song that features Eddie Van Halen. Then the rest of the world caught up.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You guys are going to call me a pussy, but when I was young, Negative Approach was TOO heavy for me.

I had a girlfriend who loved NA, but I would listen to those vocals and think of a snarling dog that was drinking sand all day.

Other bands of the time had cartoonish violence in their lyrics, but when NA said "Now you've gone and had your fun, were going to kill you for what you've done..." I probably believed them.

Of course now I think they were the greatest proto/metal band ever, but back then, Motorhead was much easier to swallow,

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I know!!!! Let's Go Crazy would also work as well.

I think Let's Go Crazy would work better as the Ball 1 music. But I mainly say that because in the movie Purple Rain that song was playing when people were playing the pinball machine in the intro.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And all that good stuff! I remember listening to my favorite alt rock station, and long before the hip hop type stations were playing any of it, they threw Beat It on, and mentioned here is a brand new MJ song that features Eddie Van Halen. Then the rest of the world caught up.

MJs management team searched for months to find a rock guitarist that would let MJ crossover to a wider (whiter) audience.

They even approached Vincent Price about repeating his Alice Cooper Black Widow performance.

There are no accidents in commercial "music"; a book that EVERY music fan must read: "The Hit Men- Power Brokers and Fast Money Inside the Music Business":

http://www.amazon.com/Hit-Men-Brokers-Inside-Business/dp/0679730613

Be prepared to have your every idea of commercial music turned upsidedown.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I guess it depended on what kind of people you hung out with.

Yes, I think it's safe to say we traveled in different circles.

#109 10 years ago

I always had Poco and Neil Young around for when dad was home and kept The Doors, Zappa and Humble Pie stashed.

My older sister got busted at Zody's for stealing this album, talk about a rebel without a clue.

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

Be prepared to have your every idea of commercial music turned upsidedown.

What was very cool was this was the least commercial radio station ever. 105.5 KNAC. RIP th.jpegth.jpeg

#111 10 years ago

Hot topic coming through

83415819.gif83415819.gif

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Hot topic coming through

habO, what is that ?

#113 10 years ago

My older sister got busted at Zody's for stealing this album, talk about a rebel without a clue.

People always say bad things about Yoko, but at least she got rid of the Beatles.

ohno.jpgohno.jpg

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

People always say bad things about Yoko, but at least she got rid of the Beatles.

Yeah, and she dresses like Michael Jackson too.....yeesh.

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What was very cool was this was the least commercial radio station ever. 105.5 KNAC. RIP

That's why they are gone.

If your not selling commercials and getting paid to play "hits", you can't pay your bills.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

That's why they are gone.

If your not selling commercials and getting paid to play "hits", you can't pay your bills.

Sad, but true. They had different formats over the years, but it was always better than anything else on the radio. Their last incarnation started around '84 when they went from a new wave, punk station to overnight they started playing metal. While other so called rock stations were still beating the same old Bob Seger and Journey songs into the ground, they were playing Metallica, Maiden and Priest. And we liked it!

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Metallica, Maiden and Priest. And we liked it!

Wow, Maiden on commercial radio. It's almost seems unthinkable.

They used to play insane amounts of Priest and of course, Clearchannel loves Metallica.....

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wow, Maiden on commercial radio. It's almost seems unthinkable.

Yep, think of Buzzsaw or now Boneyard on satellite. It was like that, but better!

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

You guys are going to call me a pussy, but when I was young, Negative Approach was TOO heavy for me.

Pussy, LOL.

j/k

You manned up in the long run, that's what counts.

Quoted from cichlid:

Other bands of the time had cartoonish violence in their lyrics, but when NA said "Now you've gone and had your fun, were going to kill you for what you've done..." I probably believed them.

They probably would have killed you.

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They used to play insane amounts of Priest and of course, Clearchannel loves Metallica.....

These were Priest songs from the early albums. Maiden with both Di Anno and Dickenson, and Metallica hadn't even released the Black album yet. Throw in some Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, and all the rest, not to mention all the concerts they put on, and this was Pure Rock 105.5 KNAC. Up till the early 90's when they became a Spanish language station. But they do live on, on the internet.

#122 10 years ago

My junior high music was Limp Bizkit and Korn. Now I can't stand either of them. I pretty much only listen to Huey Lewis and the News, and 80's like Tears for Fears, Human League, Murray Head, Man Parrish, The Outfield, Asia, and of course hair/glam metal like Poison, Ratt, etc.

That being said I really do enjoy Micheal's music it's incredible! His personal life wouldn't deter me from buying a pin. Like someone mentioned, a Prince pin would be awesome as well. I'll take the Raspberry Beret or Little Red Corvette LE.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from treibj:

Tears for Fears

This would be PERFECT for a pin!!! Put me down for a Pale Shelter LE!!!

#124 10 years ago

II cannot believe it made it all the way to page 3 with no mention of Pepsi hair on fire Multi ball.

And no...this would not be a theme for me, thanks.

#125 10 years ago

Teee heeee

th-6.jpegth-6.jpeg

#126 10 years ago

Get me a tissue.

#127 10 years ago

Disco Still Sucks. M.J. Pin, Not in my house. Ya, Ya, Ya, King of Pop? Maybe. For sure M.J. is not the king or queer [sic] of Rock. Bring on the other great Bands. Moody Blues, Yes, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Supertramp, Eagles, Rush, Kiss, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, CCR, just to name a few.
Thriller was an important album of the time, it was trend making. But really, a Pin! Have the pin manufactures make a Beatles pin, pay the licence fee, all of the pins made, will sell.

#128 10 years ago

You win.

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Disco Still Sucks. M.J. Pin, Not in my house. Ya, Ya, Ya, King of Pop? Maybe. For sure M.J. is not the king or queer [sic] of Rock. Bring on the other great Bands. Moody Blues, Yes, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Supertramp, Eagles, Rush, Kiss, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, CCR, just to name a few.
Thriller was an important album of the time, it was trend making. But really, a Pin! Have the pin manufactures make a Beatles pin, pay the licence fee, all of the pins made, will sell.

Queen... YES! Rush... Double YES! CCR... HOLY %&^$ YES!

However the Moody Blues, Beatles, and the Eagles make me want to stab myself in the eye with a sharp objects.

The Eagles are like the opposite of Captain Planet (Speaking of which... Captain Planet Pinball????), separate they are much more powerful than together.

Examples in order of awesomeness:

Glenn Frey - Smuggler's Blues, The Heat is On
Don Felder - Heavy Metal
Don Henley - Dirty Laundry, The Boys of Summer, The Heart of the Matter, The End of an Innocence
Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way, Life's Been Good

Any doubts of Joe Walsh's awesomeness have to watch this:

#130 10 years ago

I did type, Eagles, Moody Blues, Supertramp and Pink Floyd, They are not really hard rock bands, the sample was given to state a point. There are other popular bands that play different levels of rock and roll. Overall a pin has to play good to great, the theme has to be enjoyable. The whole package is important. The AC/DC pin to me is a top 5 pin, IMO. Again a M.J. pin just would not be something I would be interested in.

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

MJ was honestly the founding member in 1978? Why is that never on the news?
https://www.bigtent.com/groups/nambla

I had no idea what you guys were going on about...uggg. Until I clicked on that link.... Mental note. Never click on an unknown link.

Really though, why would you copy and paste that link? Just weird and wrong.

#132 10 years ago

I wonder if the people who don't care about what he did because he was great for the music industry would feel that way if it was their child. Is the safety of children really worth less than having a song to dance to?

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Man, hate to admit it but I would probably buy a MJ pin.

Same here

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Metallica fans sent the sales of that game to new heights.
Can you imagine the sales NAMBLA would add to a MJ game?

He North American marlon Brando look alikes?

#135 10 years ago

Some of his songs are awesome. Mostly when remade

Someone had posted that MJ's management was looking for a rock guitarist to help him cross over. They definitely found one in orianthi. She's awesome.

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You win.
» YouTube video

Freddy was probably the greatest voice in the history of rock. Completely irreplaceable and instantly distinguishable.

A queen song that doesn't get enough love and it has a Harlem globetrotter pin in the video.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

hear me out.
after seeing Michael Jackson's 'One' Cirque de la Soleil show in Vegas last week, I think this machine could be huge worldwide. The place was packed and electric. Best show I've ever seen in Vegas. Yeah, Michael became a freak pedo, but nobody in that place cared. 5 min standing ovation.
the music library would be huge, the weird props in his life, the monkey, etc could be a JJP wet dream.
i played WOZ at the Pinball HOF and was blown away at the quality of the machine. While WOZ isn't my cup of tea theme, wow, what a machine for the $. I'm in for Hobbit.
anyway, Michael is a controversial topic, but there's no doubt in my mind it would be a cool machine.

Do the Beatles First and foremost....

#138 10 years ago

great idea.... they could use some other pinballs for toy inspiration as well.

For example, they could use the Thing Hand from TAF, but just paint it (kindof) black, add another one, (put a glove on one, just one) and make it so when you balls go into the king-size bed on the playing filed, the hands comes and grabs them...

thing2.jpgthing2.jpg

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I had no idea what you guys were going on about...uggg. Until I clicked on that link.... Mental note. Never click on an unknown link.
Really though, why would you copy and paste that link? Just weird and wrong.

Those representatives from NAMBLA are always on talk shows wearing big sunglasses and fake beards.

South Park NAMBLA episode:

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from Andyj965:

I wonder if the people who don't care about what he did because he was great for the music industry would feel that way if it was their child. Is the safety of children really worth less than having a song to dance to?

I don't think appreciating his music equates to endorsing his actions. Anyone with a soul is obviously disgusted and outraged by pedophilia, but that doesn't change the fact that Michael has an amazingly impressive catalog of songs. There are lots of talented people who turned out to be psychos and freaks, but this doesn't negate their accomplishments. Is Phil Spector any less of a record producer? Is O.J. any less of a running back?

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from treibj:

My junior high music was Limp Bizkit and Korn. Now I can't stand either of them. I pretty much only listen to Huey Lewis and the News, and 80's like Tears for Fears, Human League, Murray Head, Man Parrish, The Outfield, Asia, and of course hair/glam metal like Poison

Sir...please return your "man-card" ASAP...

#142 10 years ago

i wish he died before he raped children...

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

Sir...please return your "man-card" ASAP...

I get that a lot. Why do you have to listen to crap rock to be considered a "man". F-that. Huey Lewis and 80's new wave, it doesn't get any better (See Human League - Keep Feeling Fascination, an amazing song)! As far as rock goes I do love Queen, CCR, and ZZ Top. I've also been getting into some of the country that was playing when I was a kid like Dwight Yoakam, John Anderson, and Travis Tritt, great stuff!

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

hear me out.
after seeing Michael Jackson's 'One' Cirque de la Soleil show in Vegas last week, I think this machine could be huge worldwide. The place was packed and electric. Best show I've ever seen in Vegas. Yeah, Michael became a freak pedo, but nobody in that place cared. 5 min standing ovation.
the music library would be huge, the weird props in his life, the monkey, etc could be a JJP wet dream.
i played WOZ at the Pinball HOF and was blown away at the quality of the machine. While WOZ isn't my cup of tea theme, wow, what a machine for the $. I'm in for Hobbit.
anyway, Michael is a controversial topic, but there's no doubt in my mind it would be a cool machine.

+1,000,000 love the idea. Black and White Multiball, all the tunes...redux of the JM glove (sequined), little Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 mini-wiz mode.

I know some people really think the guy was a child molester and a freak...which I think is unfair. The story of MJ is an American Tragic Story...a pinball would honor his amazing artistic achievements, which are myriad, unmatched and unimpeachable.

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think appreciating his music equates to endorsing his actions. Anyone with a soul is obviously disgusted and outraged by pedophilia, but that doesn't change the fact that Michael has an amazingly impressive catalog of songs. There are lots of talented people who turned out to be psychos and freaks, but this doesn't negate their accomplishments. Is Phil Spector any less of a record producer? Is O.J. any less of a running back?

I disagree. In my opinion it absolutely DOES "negate their accomplishments". Because, really, how important are they vs abusing a child?

I won't support a person who is a good _______ (actor/musician/athlete), but a HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING....

Are people really that shallow now that they will ignore a criminal because they enjoy being entertained?

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think appreciating his music equates to endorsing his actions.

Of course it does.

Let's say you loved clown paintings, would you hang a John Wayne Gacy painting on your wall?

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Are people really that shallow now that they will ignore a criminal because they enjoy being entertained?

MJ paid off 26 little boy's while alive, a total of 34 million dollars.

A normal man would simply NOT SLEEP WITH ANY LITTLE BOYS IN HIS BED!

If you want to have little boys over at your "theme park", fine. But there is no reason for a 50 year old man to be sleeping with 9 year old boys. None.

Even if the first "sleepover" was a "mistake", you would go OUT OF YOUR WAY to NEVER have another child in your bed - EVER.

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I won't support a person who is a good ______ (actor/musician/athlete), but a HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING....

How exactly would you be supporting Michael Jackson by buying a pin with his music on it? The man is dead.

#149 10 years ago

A normal man

Abi-normal

th-8.jpegth-8.jpeg

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

How exactly would you be supporting Michael Jackson by buying a pin with his music on it? The man is dead.

John Wayne Gacy is dead. Are you going to buy his paintings for your collection?

There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-would-buy-a-michael-jackson-pin/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.