I won a pinball machine! Help me choose?

(Topic ID: 185872)

I won a pinball machine! Help me choose?

By McSquid

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Taygeta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from Law:

Dunno about that "nowhere near" - list price on these is going to be $5500+, before offsetting anything you're probably still looking at 25-35% tax, depending on the state and your financial situation, maybe more. Good to know about the gambling losses offsetting though.

I guess I have good write offs....I don't pay anywhere near 25-35%. You are correct though everyone's tax situation is very different.

#52 1 year ago

Dude states up front he's not interested in corny dad rock pins ... half the comments recommend Metallica, Aerosmith, and KISS.

Between the options you mentioned -- which are all great by the way, don't let people talk you into a theme you have no interest in -- it comes down to GOT vs GB.

Both games have deep and interesting rules with fun strategic risk/reward decisions.

GB's art package is light years better than GOT's.

GB is much harder - so hard that some players despise it for all the STDM drains.

GB out of the box has some airball issues, but they are easy to fix with a little tweaking.

I really like both games. GOT has more flow. GB has better art and music and callouts.

Good luck with your decision, and congrats!!

#53 1 year ago

Does your wife play, or show any signs of becoming a player with you once you get your house? If so, get one that you'll enjoy that also won't turn her off from pinball (this could have an effect on future purchases you desire to make) and this game may get much more plays from her than your Grand Prix or Rollergames. If she's a fan of the TWD show, awesome, but that game can be brutal at times. GOT is faster, but a bit easier to shoot... but the Pro looks like crap compared to TWD, so I'd consider the Castle Wall mod well after you're settled down to bring some life to that game.

If you can't get into MET Pro, definitely consider an Aero Pro. I thought it was going to s-u-c-k SUCK but I liked it and got over the old rock dude theme real quick. It was a blast to play on the one local, and it's great art with HD screen and "pretty colors". Women like pretty colors

I'd avoid GB like the plague. I played my 4th model last night (3 Pros & 1 Prem), and it was the same crap. Cheap outlane hops, and SDTM out of the pops. People are dropping like $100 in plastic mods just to get the game playable, and you have a wedding and house to pay for, so why spend $100 on plastics just to make your game playable? If your wife isn't a player, that game will be infuriating to her.

1) GOT or TWD
    2) Aero or MET if you can play an Aero, or realize how great MET is.
    3) ST (if you can find one)
    4) Mustang (if you can find one)
    17) See if you can wait for Star Wars
    18) Kiss
    19) WWE
    20) GB

#54 1 year ago

#55 1 year ago

Congratulations!

I was recently at an event with a couple of pinball raffles and was surprised that everyone who won took a TWD. It's a great game and these are savvy pinball people, so that speaks volumes.

Personally, I'd probably go with either an Aerosmith or Star Trek (assuming it's available). ST because it flows so well and has an addictive quality to it so that I think I could get over the generic playfield. Aerosmith isn't a theme that really grabs me, but it does play well, is probably the best looking machine I've seen, and it would be easy to trade or sell if you got tired of it.

Good luck with the choice!

#56 1 year ago

I have played all of them. If your too young for the music pins, then BM66 is out as well, right?

I think the two best pins to play are Met and Aerosmith. I'm not an AS fan but have to say, that game is fun.

Others,can weigh in, and will, but I also think these two would have good value down the line as well when and if you would want to trade. You can see how popular they are in this thread.

Good luck on your choice.

#57 1 year ago

I would personally go with GB, just because I love the theme....but honestly I think the best choice is probably Aerosmith. You get a lot of bang for your buck on the pro model, probably more than any other game. I kind of like Aerosmith as a band but I don't think they are really all that great so the theme didn't strike me, but now that I've played the game I have to say its actually a lot of fun. Met would probably be my third choice, then it gets pretty distant after that probably TWD, then GOT ect

I was born in 85 btw...so I'm only a year older than you. Something else to consider is how good games like MET, GB, and Aersomith look compared to TWD and especially GOT. I know gameplay is the most important thing, but its nice to have a machine thats beautiful to look at.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from LewisD:

Get any new Stern pro, keep it NIB. Then sell/trade when Star Wars gets released.

This might turn out to be the best suggestion in this thread, actually...

#59 1 year ago

If I had to choose between GB, TWD, and GOT pro pins, I'd choose GB. I love the theme, it's tough as nails, and has a "one more game" feel suited for a home environment. I have a Pro with no mods and haven't updated the code since I took it out of the box last year (I'll get around to it...but enjoying the game as it is). I personally have a lot of fun with the pin and isn't leaving my collection anytime soon. The only thing that worries me are the playfield issues that I read about on this site. Knock on wood. Haven't experienced any ghosting issues...but it's something to keep in mind.

TWD and GOT are decent pro pins as well. I like both shows. Just felt TWD was a little too gory to add with a toddler in the house. GOT was fun but didn't have that "must have" feeling after playing a few games...although I would be open to adding one to my line-up in the future.

Good luck with your decision and congrats on your win!

#60 1 year ago

I've played them all and while the dream theme for me is Walking Dead I would choose GoT because to me it has the best game play.

#61 1 year ago

If you can wait, I would. Those are all great titles, but this is a year of a few good releases and with a nice color display.

#62 1 year ago

Rock band or not, Met pro is the best Stern pro pin IMO not as brutal as TWD. Top rated and most owned pin of modern Stern pro on Pinside.

I think TWD pro is just as good but some prefer the premium.

#63 1 year ago

I would say met or Got. Try them both out then decide

#64 1 year ago

if you are:
    hardcore TWD
    worlds okiest pinballer -> MET
    Casual player -> aerosmith or GB

#65 1 year ago

Based upon your latest update....GOT.

I've played all three and owned GOT. GOT is the least brutal of the three and has the fewest "cheap drains". It's a very fast flowey game with deep rules and some very interesting strategy you will pick up on as you go. Very fun game that won't piss you off from the get go.

#66 1 year ago

When making additional comments, you should reply to the thread instead of updating the original post. Nobody goes back and reads the first post after they saw it the first time.

#67 1 year ago

Code /Rules
    1. TWD Pro
    2. Met Pro
    3. GOT Pro
    4. GB Pro

Artwise
    1. GB Pro
    2. Met Pro
    3. TWD Pro
    4. GOT Pro (I still can't get passed that damn ugly translite)

Uniqueness
    1 GB Pro
    2. TWD Pro
    3. Met Pro
    4. GOT Pro

My two cents

#68 1 year ago

MET or AS. GB has cheap drains, which you said you did not like.

#69 1 year ago

Forgot if you mentioned somewhere in the thread, but can you find a place to play any of them?

I already have a MET but have been thinking of TWD, GoT, and GB (Pros).

So far TWD is highest on my list based on my limited amount of play on all of them (and watching YouTube videos over and over).

I really want to want GoT the most, but the play field doesn't draw me in like TWD.

Really a tough choice though based on all the plusses/minuses of all three pins when compared side to side.

Damn. Your thread is making me go back and forth even more on what I want next.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

No, I'm getting married in two weeks, just booked a honeymoon and am trying to buy a house. Not a chance I could spend an extra $1700 on this.

Simple, find a buyer looking for a NIB Stern and sell it. Use the money to put towards new house down payment. Stress level will go down over deciding what pin to get. Of course.....what fun would that be?

GB Pro.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

MET or AS. GB has cheap drains, which you said you did not like.

MET was not an option...neither was AS.

#72 1 year ago

Congrats on winning a pin. Wish I had your problem of deciding what pin to get. I would say MET for being the most fun regardless of theme. Sounds like that is not even an option so I say GB. I always enjoy playing it but does seem to lack that little something that makes a good pin great. Cheap drains and air balls are pretty annoying. I'm trying to warm up to TWD but still just an okay pin to me. Not really an attractive game but starting to enjoy gameplay. Same for GOT. It's kind of fun but feels like you need to study a thick manual to know how to play. Playfield looks terrible. One of Stern's worst imo.

#73 1 year ago

Didnt you say you where getting married?

Better let her pick it out.

I would grab the Aerosmith.

#74 1 year ago

If it is free, you can't go wrong with any choice you make.
    What a blessing, any pinsider would dream of having to make a choice like that, and it just goes to show, when you do good, like by making a donation to a great cause, the pinball gods will smile down on you.

#75 1 year ago

Personally, none of those would be my first choice. I'd go with Metallica or Aerosmith.

Walking Dead would be next. Great game, but it can be very drainy. It's a constant battle to keep the ball in play.

#76 1 year ago

Get any of them, sell it NIB, set aside $$$ for the taxes, and then you could still buy a dozen or more EMs, or several SSs! Your new house has space for a nice sized game room, right? I see you have a Grand Prix so it's not like you're averse to EMs...

That would be the smartest route. You can always pick up newer games later, maybe you'll have a chance to play them and decide which you like best yourself in the meantime.

#77 1 year ago

You can switch out the songs on Metallica to the Tame Impala or Carly Rae Jepsen that the kiddos dig.

#78 1 year ago

All choices are winners so you can't go wrong no matter which way you go. MET or TWD are complete, challenging, fun games and are practically perfect, while playing completely different from each other. Then would suggest GOT, GB, AS or SM. Stern has been making a lot of hits.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

I'm considering the walking dead, ghostbusters, or game of thrones.

Where are you located? The operator in my area has all three available for play and they are all well maintained.

We have a GoT & GB in league and TWD was in leagues last season. It's in another bar down the street.

If you're in the central PA area, I'll buy you a beer and we can play a few games.

My vote would be TWD having played all of them extensively.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Does your wife play, or show any signs of becoming a player with you once you get your house? If so, get one that you'll enjoy that also won't turn her off from pinball (this could have an effect on future purchases you desire to make) and this game may get much more plays from her than your Grand Prix or Rollergames. If she's a fan of the TWD show, awesome, but that game can be brutal at times. GOT is faster, but a bit easier to shoot... but the Pro looks like crap compared to TWD, so I'd consider the Castle Wall mod well after you're settled down to bring some life to that game.
    If you can't get into MET Pro, definitely consider an Aero Pro. I thought it was going to s-u-c-k SUCK but I liked it and got over the old rock dude theme real quick. It was a blast to play on the one local, and it's great art with HD screen and "pretty colors". Women like pretty colors
    I'd avoid GB like the plague. I played my 4th model last night (3 Pros & 1 Prem), and it was the same crap. Cheap outlane hops, and SDTM out of the pops. People are dropping like $100 in plastic mods just to get the game playable, and you have a wedding and house to pay for, so why spend $100 on plastics just to make your game playable? If your wife isn't a player, that game will be infuriating to her.
    1) GOT or TWD
    2) Aero or MET if you can play an Aero, or realize how great MET is.
    3) ST (if you can find one)
    4) Mustang (if you can find one)
    17) See if you can wait for Star Wars
    18) Kiss
    19) WWE
    20) GB

My fiancee shows the signs of becoming a pinhead if she is catered to as you recommend. She is a fan of TWD and GoT shows, and is even bigger into star wars. I'm going to wait and see if Stern announces a star wars soon. She even loves the SW episode 1 machine... ugghhh.

#81 1 year ago

Congrats!

You could always take the NIB game and sell it off or trade towards a couple titles on your wishlist e.t.c. I personally would probably take Ghostbusters pro.

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Where are you located? The operator in my area has all three available for play and they are all well maintained.
    We have a GoT & GB in league and TWD was in leagues last season. It's in another bar down the street.
    If you're in the central PA area, I'll buy you a beer and we can play a few games.
    My vote would be TWD having played all of them extensively.

I'm near Boston MA, I very much appreciate the offer and would have taken you up on it if I were closer.

#83 1 year ago

My God, why are you people trying to convince this guy to choose Ghostdrainers when he IMPLICITLY STATES he hates "cheap drains?"

GB is the cheapest, drainiest, cheap drainiest game Stern has ever made. He'll absolutely hate it and this is absolutely beyond question. It's like a woman says maintaining her perfectly coifed hair is the most important thing in her daily, life, and you try to sell her on a VW convertible (I'm getting better at this cargument thing!!!). But then GB owners are always trying to convince others to repeat their mistake so they don't feel as bad about theirs.

I really like Walking Dead but prefer the prem/le and it's also a game that's gonna frustrate a cheap drainaphobe.

I'd go with Aerosmith dude. It's the newest, it's super cool, has a GREAT gimmick in the toy box (much better than anything GB has to offer unless you think pinata slimer is the tits) and features the new tech of the LCD. Seems like a no-brainer to me. And it's 70s rock, not 80s rock, and I bet you'll come around to it. The art and animation package is one of Stern's best so far.

If you can't get over the "rock band" theme I'd go with Thrones. Solid game with good software and it's not a cheap drain machine at all.

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

I'm near Boston MA

Go play Aerosmith and Star Trek at Flat Top Johnny's, then walk over to A4cade/Roxy's to try out GB Pro, GOT Pro, and a rethemed TWD Pro. Besides MET Pro (which isn't on your list, yet is getting most of the thumbs up in this thread), you can play your entire list and a few other Stern Pro's in one evening... and I'll bet you return to Flat Top for a 2nd round of Aerosmith and Star Trek (plus 4-5 other sweet pins).

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Go play Aerosmith and Star Trek at Flat Top Johnny's, then walk over to A4cade/Roxy's to try out GB Pro, GOT Pro, and a rethemed TWD Pro. Besides MET Pro (which isn't on your list, yet is getting most of the thumbs up in this thread), you can play your entire list and a few other Stern Pro's in one evening... and I'll bet you return to Flat Top for a 2nd round of Aerosmith and Star Trek (plus 4-5 other sweet pins).

I'm headed to both for my bachelor party this Saturday

#86 1 year ago

I'd wait till after the wedding and Rob a bit of money out of those envelopes and upgrade to a premium "something". Metallica GB or ACDC

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My God, why are you people trying to convince this guy to choose Ghostdrainers when he IMPLICITLY STATES he hates "cheap drains?"

Amen, dude. He's not asking what we'd pick (or already picked). He's asking what we'd pick if we were him. No cheap drains he says, which rules out GB. TWD ain't no picnic either in the drain department, but at least the flippers have a normal gap. I'd give that one a "maybe".

#88 1 year ago

Wouldn't it make sense to pick whichever one has the most trade or resale value?

Just thinking out loud...

#89 1 year ago

The only thing holding KISS back from being a great pinball machine is CODE. It's been over a frikkin year and still nothing! Very disappointing for anyone who purchased that pin.

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

The only thing holding KISS back from being a great pinball machine is CODE. It's been over a frikkin year and still nothing! Very disappointing for anyone who purchased that pin.

Well, the code and the god awful "music". Did not like it back in the day & still don't!

#91 1 year ago

First choice by me is Walking dead, then Game of Thrones second, Game of thrones shots are set forward more and if you miss they go right down the drain or the outlanes, I love both but people go toward walking dead and really enjoy this one most.
    Also the bootleg Walking dead software by Charland make the game so much better, I would get Walking Dead play it stock for a while, then when it starts getting a little boring upgrade to the new software and its like a whole new game again!!!!
    To me it was a 2 for 1 deal!!!

#92 1 year ago

Star Trek. Brand new series is launching next month. They'll be in hot demand if the series is good.

#93 1 year ago

If you haven't already, make sure you consult with a CPA that specializes in tax so that you're not bombarded with a tax burden you weren't expecting.

Also get TWD or GOT. Levi's advice is sound.

#94 1 year ago

If your wife likes GOT, go with that, SW will not be available for some time IF they even make one. GOT has great rules and flow, very fun to play, and not a drain fest like GB and TWD.

1 week later
    #95 1 year ago

Forget what I said about selling the won game NIB and buying EMs.

I just played Aerosmith last night. Get one of those.

#96 1 year ago

I played Aerosmith last night and it is EASILY my new favorite Stern, although I played the premium model. Even if you don't connect with the theme, it really is a fantastic game that plays great. (and the theme is done really really well regardless, much better than Metallica and other band pins of Stern IMO)

#97 1 year ago

TWD would be my pick by a mile if the music pins aren't for you.

GOT is butt ugly and has virtually no toys/mechanics. It has a deep ruleset that takes a while to appreciate but that doesn't make up for all its other shortcomings. Have been scratching my head since release as to why so many people here enjoy it.

Haven't put enough time on GB to say too much one way or another on it, but it seems to have a ton of modes and a wonderful art package.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 25.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    € 40.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    € 50.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside