(Topic ID: 185872)

I won a pinball machine! Help me choose?

By McSquid

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Taygeta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

The quick story: I donated to the prevent cancer foundation during Awesome Games Done Quick this past winter. I specifically donated on the PinballDoneQuick stream hosted by PinballJoe. I donated while they were playing The Getaway, one of my favorites. I loved watching them do speedruns of objectives such as 'fastest to super jackpot' 'fastest to redline mania' etc. They had one prize for their donors (GDQ often has prizes they give away to their donors, but PDQ only had one.) Anyone who donated $50 or more was entered to win a new stern pinball machine. Today PinballJoe emailed me and informed me that I was the one.

I can choose any PRO model from the currently available games. After my initial freak out I started trying to decide which one I want. I'm considering the walking dead, ghostbusters, or game of thrones. The rest are all 80s rock and I was born just a tad too late to be into that (86). Unfortunately I haven't played any of these yet. Id have picked batman, but it doesn't have a pro version.

Which would you choose? Why?

Edit: Wow thanks for all the feedback!
    I would also like to add, that while I very much enjoy a challenge, I am very much out off by cheap drains. If a player with a decent amount of skill would still be facing tons of outlanes with nothing that can be done to prevent it, Id find it very frustrating.

For clarification, yes I could pay the difference to get a premium, but I cannot possibly afford it. Im getting married in 2 weeks, just booked a honeymoon, and am trying to buy a house. Not happening.

I intend to play them all somehow before choosing, for public opinion it looks like TWD is the favorite by a small margin, but its a pretty even split.

#2 7 years ago

I have Ghostbusters and love it. Game of Thrones is really good so no bad choices. Congratulations on your free game.

#3 7 years ago

If it were me, GoT. But Ghostbusters and TWD are awesome games too so really you can't lose.

#4 7 years ago

Of those three, I enjoy TWD the most. Probably second place would be GOT and third would be GB. They're all pretty good though.

#5 7 years ago

GB pro best bang for buck, too bad it is not a WD premium or I would go with that one since it much better than WD pro. wouldn't even consider a GOT...

#6 7 years ago

Unlike Evan, I'd go with GOT. But he doesn't really know what he's talking about and I do, so...

#7 7 years ago

I haven't played GB. But I'd choose GoT over TWD

#8 7 years ago

Are you able to pay the MSRP difference between a pro and premium/LE and get an upgraded model?

Of those 3 I'd go with GB

#9 7 years ago

It a tough theme, but TWD Pro is tough fun. Better than them all. AS Pro is the alternative. Wouldn't consider the others.

#10 7 years ago

Despite the playfield issues id still go with Ghost Busters. To me it's got the most long term staying power. As an example you don't see many people clamoring for Soprano's pins.. why because the show ended and it's not relevant any more. Ghost Busters has been popular since the 80's and will likely remain far more popular than GOT, Walking Dead once those shows end.

#11 7 years ago

Isn't Aerosmith an option? Never played it but getting good feedback and has new monitor instead of DMD.

#12 7 years ago

WD for the solid code
    GB for the theme

#13 7 years ago

All 3 of those games have very different rules and play style. I think you should make your decision based on how you like to play. Watch tutorials and videos to get an idea.

Here are some things that i think set them apart.
    - GB and GOT are both Dwight rules that have some similar properties. Very exponential scoring, and not particularly balanced, but this can be fun, because you can really blow them up.
    - GB can be frustrating, and fast. It is very polarising in opinion. There are many ways to play it, but you will probably end up playing the same approach every game. But of you like the theme and progressing, it is great, it is still the goto game in my house. Best art package of the bunch. Code still needs work and hopefully it will happen.
    - GOT i have less time on. It has many ways to play. I think as a game to own. greyjoy adds a really nice added challenge. Once you master the modes, it is like playing on hard mode. Flowly and fun. I don't like that things like the ram can be a little finicky (i guess GB has that issue too). Rules are crazy complicated. Just the strategy around what 3 houses to bring into HOTK is crazy.
    - TWD has that Borg bash layout that balances advanced play and beginner play so well. Beginners will hit the prison and have a great time. Rules are great strategy wise, building the stacks with BB, earning your multi kills. Best danger noise in pinball, and you will hear it every ball because you are forced into risky play. To do well, you need to know the rules.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Are you able to pay the MSRP difference between a pro and premium/LE and get an upgraded model?
    Of those 3 I'd go with GB

No, I'm getting married in two weeks, just booked a honeymoon and am trying to buy a house. Not a chance I could spend an extra $1700 on this.

#15 7 years ago

GB, it's more of a family friendly title, rated PG. GOT and TWD are good pins but to me have a more rated R theme.
    But then again they are only pinball machines, not the movie or tv show that inspired them.

#16 7 years ago

MET pro if it is an option.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

No, I'm getting married in two weeks, just booked a honeymoon and am trying to buy a house.

Wow! Congrats!
    You're on a roll!

#18 7 years ago

If there is anyway you can buy a Met Pro, do it.

I think the band is awful, but the game is just so much fun. I think it is Stern's best Pro model, but I'm sure many will disagree.

#19 7 years ago

It's a shame that you aren't into the old rock bands because I would consider a MET Pro and Aerosmith Pro over the other ones. I guess my pick would be GB Pro.

Congrats on getting married and winning Joe' drawing!

#20 7 years ago

Another vote for met pro if it's an option. You don't need to love Metallica to enjoy the game. It would be a good game no matter the theme.

#21 7 years ago

I'd vote MET. I don't like the band. I love TWD the show and the pin but it's not nearly as fun, GOT to me is alright if you love ramps the show is beautiful but the game is not. Met has fun shots, it's funny, has lastability and every darn time gives me that one more game feeling(getting one soon). GB is one I just can't get down with, it seems like cheap drains over and over.

#22 7 years ago

Congratulations. I would take walking dead. I think it is shaping up to be a proven long term title. As long as you don't mind the art. I love it.

Gb second, got third. All good choices.

#23 7 years ago

Whichever one you choose will be the right choice.

#24 7 years ago

Congrats on the big win!

I'd pick them in this order:

1. Walking Dead
    2. Ghostbusters
    3. Game of Thrones

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Another vote for met pro if it's an option. You don't need to love Metallica to enjoy the game. It would be a good game no matter the theme.

True. I despise Metallica the band's music.... but the gameplay on this pin is great!

#26 7 years ago

I own/owned both GOT and GB pros and GOT is a better playing game. Sounds and music are better on GB. Fun factor they both have there moments just more of them on GOT.

The difference in the two is GB you can only play a few strategies on but GOT you can play different every time. Like yesterday played game as Greyjoy and tried to steal Martells powers then i used Lannister because there the hardest house to use then Martell because there the easiest. Each game felt different.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Congrats on the big win!
    I'd pick them in this order:
    1. Walking Dead
    2. Ghostbusters
    3. Game of Thrones

Yep! Three great themes, and I enjoy all three games (I have a TWD Pro and a GB Prem), but if we're comparing Pro models only, TWD is the way to go.

#28 7 years ago

... my recommendation would be Met, TWD or Aerosmith.

#29 7 years ago

If you don't have any other pins, my suggestion would be out of those three pick the theme you like most. TWD and GB are my favorites and either one will be a blast; GOT is a great pin too. If you find you get bored with it (or frustrated) then I'm sure you can fairly easily trade it later for one of the other pros or sell it and buy another pro for not much difference. With your other big life changes going on, just pick one and enjoy the heck out of it. Don't stress over making the 'correct' choice.

Congratulations on the marriage and the pin!

#30 7 years ago

Even though you may not be into the music pins Metallica and Aerosmith are both great games and should be considered. Metallica is one of Sterns' best ever and I think Aerosmith will be too. I wasn't interested in Aerosmith until I played one at TPF and its a blast to play! Of the three you listed I would say Game of Thrones is the best one followed by The Walking Dead and I would put Ghostbusters dead last. Ghostbusters is a beautiful game but not nearly as fun to play as the other four games I mentioned. Good Luck with your decision, you won't go wrong with any of them.

Congratulations on your upcoming marrage!

#31 7 years ago

get a Kiss so you can complain about code updates!

but MET > TWD > GOT

if somehow they can get you a Star Trek do that

#32 7 years ago

Aerosmith without a doubt. Newest and has LCD..

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

No, I'm getting married in two weeks, just booked a honeymoon and am trying to buy a house. Not a chance I could spend an extra $1700 on this.

You will be - come tax season you need to declare your winnings at fair market value, no?

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

You will be - come tax season you need to declare your winnings at fair market value, no?

Why would you do that. What they don't know doesn't hurt you.

#35 7 years ago

Metallica Pro or Aerosmith Pro

#36 7 years ago

Ghostbusters-You can't go wrong with the timeless theme resale value and game fun!

#37 7 years ago

Perhaps a poll should be added....

#38 7 years ago

Even if you don't like kiss or acdc .. both are a blast.

#39 7 years ago

Get any new Stern pro, keep it NIB. Then sell/trade when Star Wars gets released.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Pinside you might get away with (although I don't recommend it), but the OP also posted on reddit. I'd guess facebook as well. Organizations like this are also required to report winners.

#41 7 years ago

Whoa this would be a hard choice. GOT is the only Pro better than the Pre in my opinion. The ramps in place of the upper playfield make it fast and fun.
    The other Pros are varying degrees worse than their Premium counterparts. TWD missing the crossbow, a spinner, and moving ramp. It's still great fun with the music and atmosphere.

MET is missing the cool looking hammer lock and I think a spinner. It's probably the most similar playing game of the Pros and it's terribly fun despite the music. I like the music though.

GB Pro is probably missing the most from the Premium. Code isn't quite finished yet. Same with AS.

I'd probably go with TWD>MET>GOT but you can't go wrong with any of those three.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'd probably go with TWD>MET>GOT but you can't go wrong with any of those three.

He's exactly right except for being completely backward.

#43 7 years ago

Lots of great options. Much of it is going to depend on your preferences. I'd rank it like this
    1. Game of Thrones
    2. The Walking Dead
    3. Ghostbusters
    4. Metallica

Game of Thrones offers a lot of player choice and decision making which I really appreciate. Walking Dead is tough but rewarding when you can get it going. Ghostbusters is primo theme integration and an awesome all-around package.

Don't discount Metallica either. Even if you don't like the music, it's still a great pin. Personally I just find myself getting tired of it quicker than the others here.

#44 7 years ago

Pick between GOT or TWD. Skip GB.

TWD pro is one of best sterns ever IF...you like the theme, IF...you can swap out the sounds with pinball browser (plenty out there to download), IF...you like brutal games, IF...you don't mind cheap drains, IF...you have the patience to learn deep rulesets, and IF you like bash toys.

go GOT pro if you enjoy flow, speed, rules, more flow, multipliers galore, fun, and diverse strategies; at the sacrifice of a slightly more unpolished code and weak art package.

TWD is the better game by a hair, but only if you like that style of a game. GOT is consistently more fun and has quicker rules progression. Tough choice. Technical Rules + Depth + trap & shoot (TWD) vs Strategic rules + Breadth + flow & speed (GOT).

#45 7 years ago

Met or TWD

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Yes but it will be nowhere near $1700, plus you can offset them.

Quoted from zr11990:

Why risk it?

Quoted from Law:

Pinside you might get away with (although I don't recommend it), but the OP also posted on reddit. I'd guess facebook as well. Organizations like this are also required to report winners.

You can declare the win at retail value then declare your gambling losses to offset the tax to zero (up to $6000 can be declared on losses). That's what I did to be legal.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

Even if you don't like kiss or acdc .. both are a blast.

Kiss blows

#48 7 years ago

Don't rule out Aerosmith! That game looks really fun. But at the end of the day its a free pinball machine there really isn't a bad choice.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Yes but it will be nowhere near $1700, plus you can offset them.

Dunno about that "nowhere near" - list price on these is going to be $5500+, before offsetting anything you're probably still looking at 25-35% tax, depending on the state and your financial situation, maybe more. Good to know about the gambling losses offsetting though.

#50 7 years ago

Ghostbusters by far. It has some of the best theme integration seen and heard in pinball in years. Plus the game has a very unique layout compared to traditional fan layout games. GOT playfield artwork is terrible in my opinion, it could be any generic castle knight type game. TWD looks cool but it lacks audio by the shows actors and none of the actors are even mentioned in the games rules.

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-won-a-pinball-machine-help-me-choose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.