You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo-12.JPG
photo-13.JPG
IMG_2061.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Ok, so I got a good deal on a Transformers LE, as it seems everyone else is getting these days. I had played this game several times before and just could not get into it. Sure the game was "pretty", but WTF are you supposed to do? I couldn't figure out the rules for my life? What's with the F'ing stupid right side mini play field, I cannot get it to do anything??? and let's not forget the crappy DOT Matrix animations............Can anyone really make them out?? Mind you I could not hear the music on the pin because the adjacent games were so loud.

So fast forward to when I brought mine home. Initial thoughts, "Wow, this game is pretty and that Gomez sure does like to put a million parts on his games." Truthfully I didn't like it much better than when I played it the other times, except I did notice the music was exceptional and the use of the shaker motor is excellent. After about 20 games, I started to get the modes down and trigger the various multiballs............Ok now, this is getting addictive.

Well now it's been a few weeks and I have to say, I really like the game. The flow is great and it has some of the best multiball action of any game...........right up there with LOTR and although there are no cool call outs, the shaker motor gives you a "Shake out" that lets you know you are kicking a$$. Transformers has two major flaws as I see it, first the mini play field and secondly the dots. If it wasn't for them, I think this game would have been well received. That being said, these flaws are not bad enough that they should keep someone from owning it. For the current price you can get an LE, everyone should own this at least once.......especially if you were an 80's child.

So what's with Gomez and why does he keep on creating these "step children" pinball machines.......I think I get it. Mind you I own two of them, AVLE & TFLE..........and like them both. Gomez is actually one of those truly innovative guys that never has the time to "perfect" his ideas. In this industry, the design time from start to finish is short and taking risks is not always a smart idea. At a time where Gomez needed to keep it simple, he went rogue.

I have "$hit talked" plenty of games in my day and TFLE was one of them. I am hear to tell you, I was wrong.

#2 10 years ago

Thanks for the write-up and glad you are enjoying your pin. As an 80s fan of transformers, I still can't do it. Every time I play someones, I walk away shaking my head with what could have been. I own AVLE and while disappointed in some elements of that game - I get the layout intent. TF not so much.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I have "$hit talked" plenty of games in my day and TFLE was one of them. I am hear to tell you, I was wrong.

No you were right. Please update your feelings after you pass the 500 play threshold

It's fun and I might consider one again someday...but that iron hide pf just kills it. Starscream I am ok with. With that all said a modded Pro is probably a better value is sub 4k, not to mention flows better ramp wise.

#4 10 years ago

Well said. And I agree about the Gomez comment. Seems spot on.

As for TFLE; try removing the Mini pf IH control gate. Then go in adjustments and max out the mini pf timer, set it to start on ramp switch, set it to count letters on ramp switch. You'll find the mini pf relevant and fun! Plus that ramp shot will be much faster as the control gate sslows it down. Enjoy! Addicting and fun game. And yes, the mb's on that game are over the top fun!!

#5 10 years ago

Good write up Knight. Very good point on the "shaker call outs". I always enjoy the shaker in this game but never stopped to think about why. You nailed it. I happen to enjoy the IH playfield. Once you get it wired its a little too easy/boring...but right about then you can't keep it up there to save your life. Of all the mediocre toys in the history of pinball, this doesn't distinguish itself either way. But it sure gets a lot of hate, and I'm pretty sure it has less to do with actual gameplay than some dream people had about what they wanted. If this game said "Black Sabbath" or "Iron Maiden" on the back glass it would celebrated as the second coming of Monster Bash.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Well said. And I agree about the Gomez comment. Seems spot on.
As for TFLE; try removing the Mini pf IH control gate. Then go in adjustments and max out the mini pf timer, set it to start on ramp switch, set it to count letters on ramp switch. You'll find the mini pf relevant and fun! Plus that ramp shot will be much faster as the control gate sslows it down. Enjoy! Addicting and fun game. And yes, the mb's on that game are over the top fun!!

^^^^
Exactly.

#7 10 years ago

What number is it??

#8 10 years ago

well Darknight you sure didnt help in the early days...despite the fact the game was fast, fun and in your face. You had a great review of the gameplay early on...but your review was mostly negative.
I like the le...but the pro is also a great game. No mini playfields to slow it down.
Glad to see its "grown" on you...hope you revisit your official review.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

but that iron hide pf just kills it.

100% agree right here.

#10 10 years ago

I agree with the op.At first I didn't like the "tough games" .But now I really enjoy the challenges of the tougher games like TFLE and IM.
It makes you a better player and keeps your focus sharper during gameplay.And you can get some really good deals right now on some of these types of games.

#11 10 years ago

Nice to read that you are now enjoying it.

Have fun!

#12 10 years ago

TF-LE always a great game!

#13 10 years ago

but that iron hide pf just kills it.

Again, lock open the PF gate and you will resolve this problem and make the game a whole lot better.

#14 10 years ago

I just picked up a bargain TF pro recently and while it certainly is not my fav game there is something about it that I really enjoy.
This may or may not change over time after a heap of playtime.

#15 10 years ago

I was hoping that I would open this thread and see that Rare Hero or Akuma was the OP.

#16 10 years ago

Ok, so I removed the Iron Hide gate as directed and it definitely helps with flow. I also noticed you can see more. only issue is, it basically makes the play field 100% useless as the ball never gets trapped to play the IH mod also the switch never flips on to turn off your flippers as you are moving the play field. Did I do something wrong or is there a way to have the best of both worlds here.

IMG_2060.JPGIMG_2060.JPG IMG_2061.JPGIMG_2061.JPG

#17 10 years ago

I don't understand this. You played the game several times, could not get into it, and then you went ahead and bought a new LE? A "good deal" on a sub-par game is not really a good deal....

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I don't understand this. You played the game several times, could not get into it, and then you went ahead and bought a new LE? A "good deal" on a sub-par game is not really a good deal..

I disagree...........These LE's i.e. Avengers, X-Men & TFLE at their NIB prices where a total rip off, but when you take them down a few thousand, they become a value. The game is worth every bit of what I paid for it.

#19 10 years ago

Sure the game was "pretty", but WTF are you supposed to do? I couldn't figure out the rules for my life?

LOL, what!? TF has the easiest rules of all time. Shoot blinking shots, start mode, play mode, repeat. Bash Prime's nuts for Multiball. Load up Megatron for multiball. Cube for Mystery. Mudflap/Skids for Fast Scoring. Spell Starscream on the left ramp, Spell Ironhide on the right. DONE.

Quoted from RobT:

I was hoping that I would open this thread and see that Rare Hero or Akuma was the OP.

Well, we WERE wrong. We bought it and tried to convince ourselves it was good. We were wrong, realized the truth, and sold it lol

I disagree...........These LE's i.e. Avengers, X-Men & TFLE at their NIB prices where a total rip off, but when you take them down a few thousand, they become a value. The game is worth every bit of what I paid for it.

TFLE was ~$5300 NIB. From day 1 it was cheaper than the LEs that followed...all of which broke the $6k mark.

#20 10 years ago

+1 on removing the Iron Hide PF gate. With the gate gone it no longer breaks up the flow of what is otherwise a super fast game. Now when the PF is activated, it's a challenge to shoot for and actually keep the ball inside. I find this can be quite difficult, and I wonder if this is how it was originally intended with the gate being a late addition before things went into production.

Also the latest code update is a must have. If you haven't updated, do it now! I finally get all the bitching about MB progression, and honestly it should have been there from the start. I can get much further in the game, and make it over to the other faction modes much more often now.

TFLE is a great game, and deserves to be ranked among the other Stern greats. Definitely a bargain for the going rate right now.

#21 10 years ago

I've said from day one if I can get a NIB TFLE shipped for 5k I'm buying it. The closest I have seen is $5,300. The game is under rated in my view; it is basically LOTR's with robots instead of orcs and elves.

#22 10 years ago

Did I do something wrong or is there a way to have the best of both worlds here.

You have to set ramp entrance to activate instead of the gate. Here are the recommended settings (I believe Eskaybee gets credit for these):

1. TF adj #9: set to ramp entrance for IH start sequence
2. TF adj #20: increase IH pf scoring to 30 secs (max)
3. TF adj #28: disable control gate - yes
4. TF adj #34: boost mini pf power - no

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

You have to set ramp entrance to activate instead of the gate. Here are the recommended settings (I believe Eskaybee gets credit for these):

I think what i did wrong was removed the gate from the playfield, rather than just disabling it...Oh well. Still though, the flipper don't deactivate when you are playing the mini play field. Is that supposed to happen?

#24 10 years ago

You DO want the gate gone. There is no need for it, plus it blocks your view

the flipper don't deactivate when you are playing the mini play field

This is correct. The PF will rock when it is activated, even if the ball is outside and you are continuing to flip. Turn the pf boost power off -- again, you don't need it because the weight of the gate is gone -- it doesn't bother me a bit

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

to flip. Turn the pf boost power off -- again, you don't need it because the weight of the gate is gone -- it doesn't bother me a bit

Thanks Fuko!!!! Now I am thinking it's modding time.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

(I believe Eskaybee gets credit for these):

Quoted from fuko:

again, you don't need it because the weight of the gate is gone -- it doesn't bother me a bit

So do you just take these four steps or do you need to physically remove the gate as well? I am all over this process as it will certainly improve the game play. Thanks Eskaybee and fuko for the info. Any other adjustment tips on the machine to improve it?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I've said from day one if I can get a NIB TFLE shipped for 5k I'm buying it. The closest I have seen is $5,300. The game is under rated in my view; it is basically LOTR's with robots instead of orcs and elves.

Except with Lonnie rules instead of Keith rules. Layout is more Monster Bash than LOTR.

...and shooting the middle ramp into the ring is SOOOO much cooler than shooting Optimus in the nuts.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Layout is more Monster Bash than LOTR.

You mean there is a difference between the layout of LOTR and MB?

Seriously though, the layout between TF and MB is incredibly similar and immediately noticeable. Very different games though.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You mean there is a difference between the layout of LOTR and MB?
Seriously though, the layout between TF and MB is incredibly similar and immediately noticeable. Very different games though.

I can see that the shot pattern is loosely the same on the sides with the main similarity being Allspark and Creature. The ramps can be backhanded on TFLE much more easily than MB.

However the middle of the playfield really varies with the exception that Optimus when the ramp is not active feels like a reverse mosh pit shot.

The scoop placement and scoop feeds are quite different. There is also not a backdoor scoop feed on MB. When the drop target is up the game is much tighter and throws the ball back.

MB offers a middle ramp when Frank is active or mosh pit mb which adds to the flow.

Granted there is only so much that can be done with the geometry but I really don't have any feeling of similarity when playing those games.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

do you need to physically remove the gate as well

It's up to you, but I recommend removing the gate. It blocks your view of what is otherwise a nice looking mini PF, plus it adds weight/inertia to the rocking, which you do not want. Unscrew the top mounted nuts, remove the cable ties and pull the gate coil wire under the playfield, tie it back and you are done

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

It's up to you, but I recommend removing the gate. It blocks your view of what is otherwise a nice looking mini PF, plus it adds weight/inertia to the rocking, which you do not want. Unscrew the top mounted nuts, remove the cable ties and pull the gate coil wire under the playfield, tie it back and you are done

Thanks fuko!

#32 10 years ago

buy a pro...it's more fun

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

My LE is a blast to play and looks amazing with the lights and combo art package. I'm good thanks

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I bought my LE for pro pricing.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The game is under rated in my view; it is basically LOTR's with robots instead of orcs and elves.

TFLE is just like LOTR... when it has a few switches out

All joking aside TFLE is a fine game with cool sounds & art. It's beautiful at times for sure. The game won't make it's way in my collection due to a few issues but I certainly will play the hell out of one every chance I get (which I do).

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Granted there is only so much that can be done with the geometry but I really don't have any feeling of similarity when playing those games.

Wow. Usually love your posts, but couldn't disagree with you more on this one.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wow. Usually love your posts, but couldn't disagree with you more on this one.

Thanks and it's quite alright.

It happens

#38 10 years ago

Ive had 3 TF LE's and it is a cool game. Love the sound effects. External sub will blow you away on it. I still have the itch to try a pro at home. love the ramps on the pro.

#39 10 years ago

TF is a beauty...one of the best looking games ever....but, its like a hot chick that looks good at first and when she opens her mouth its like no thanks, adios, vaya con dios.....

#40 10 years ago

Love my TF LE. I disabled the gate but un-disabled it back. The right ramp is a tad clunky but I can live with it. The flow is great, the lights are great, the art is great. I absolutely understand that a lot of folks don't like it, and that's cool. It's how I got it cheap in the first place.

BTW, install mirror blades. Trust me.

Happy 4th everyone! Who else is drunk posting??

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TF is a beauty...one of the best looking games ever....but, its like a hot chick that looks good at first and when she opens her mouth its like no thanks, adios, vaya con dios.....

Well; TF sounds awesome. So I'd rather say its like a hot chick that looks good at first and when she opens her legs the stench is so bad it's like no thanks

#42 10 years ago

That's just wrong on so many levels.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Happy 4th everyone! Who else is drunk posting??

Yep, fireworks went off, many beers thrown down, and its time for "drunk posting"!

Quoted from Eskaybee:

its like a hot chick that looks good at first and when she opens her legs the stench is so bad it's like no thanks

Thanks for that visual....

#44 10 years ago

I thought SKB was the TFLE ambassador?

#45 10 years ago

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Well; TF sounds awesome. So I'd rather say its like a hot chick that looks good at first and when she opens her legs the stench is so bad it's like no thanks

That's never stopped me...in fact I like em a bit pungent !

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

BTW, install mirror blades. Trust me.

pictures? I've been thinking about adding them to my TF:LE (they look great on Tron LE)

#49 10 years ago

If your negative OPINION of the game is based on 5, 50 or 500 plays that occurred BEFORE the software fix of the roadblock, its less valid IMO. The roadblock all but guaranteed that you achieved zero "success" with the game and therefore received zero positive reinforcement from the game for a job well done. That is the kiss of death for a pinball enthusiast. Forget never reaching wizard mode....how about never -or barely one or two times - reaching mini wizard mode? That SUCKS!! For all the effort it takes to play TF well, to never get ultimate , or"mini ultimate"satisfaction wears you down. It wore me down over a couple hundred games - some EPIC, with some incredible play by me that ended in "The road block". So yeah, I know why a good portion of players don't like the game.

Now, I've played some epic games since the FIX...and it is very satisfying getting positive reinforcement in finishing your objectives. It changes everything. I think that had I been receiving such reinforcement from good play all along Id be keeping the game as long as I kept LOTR and SM, which was 4 and 3 years. But yeah, Im done. I've invested a lot of time on this game and been absolutely spell bound by the shots, lightshow, music, and challenge of the game. I've also ended many games screaming for justice. Most of it when it was not really finished properly. For newcomers just coming to this game now, it offers up so much more.

All pinball machines get repetitive, etc., but you don't care if its fun and you get rewarded for good play when you deserve it. transformers now rewards good play. Different ball game.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

All pinball machines get repetitive, etc., but you don't care if its fun and you get rewarded for good play when you deserve it. Transformers now rewards good play. Different ball game.

Excellent points...I played TF combo when it first came out and it wasn't good for the reasons you stated....

Quoted from Gerry:

AND, I'll say you are in serious need of some Cliffy hole protectors AND some probably some Novus 3..........

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-was-wrong-about-transformers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.