20230105_053644_resized (resized).jpg
20230105_051859_resized (resized).jpg
20221222_134333 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1672847370712 (resized).jpg
0e94caf5161cc828aef630d14803f9f64b4c48e4 (resized).jpg
D029D37A-B27B-4080-996D-7B962A1D2C57 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).jpg
768358 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skyrex.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#203 1 year ago

First off I don’t buy machines no matter how much other people “love” them. I buy them because I am interested in the theme and I think they will be fun. I don’t care how great a pin is if the theme doesn’t work for me. Example I don’t love music pins. So no matter how cool the toys are or how great it shoots it’s a non starter. To me theme matters. Second I need to see a vid. Playing it is better but I have been bit before buying a great theme sight unseen. Third I never look at a game as an investment or that I will get all my money back. It’s great that these games often go up or maintain value but if it doesn’t so be it. Like anyone I would prefer prices not be as high as they have got the last few years but that is where the world is.

So onto my “toy story” I had zero interest in this theme. Didn’t see how it would interest me. But I watched the reveal vid with my wife and saw the carnival theme ….we are suckers for amusement parks/carnivals….. and we actually like the movie toy story 4. I was pleasantly surprised by the vid. Didn’t look complicated in any way shape or form but it looked fun. Isn’t that the goal? Same reason I bought Oktoberfest, wasn’t planning on it but hey it looked fun. Anyway my wife looks at me and says I think I want it. Well that was enough for me. Preordered one immediately.

The game arrived and is crazy fun. The jump ramp is great, the benson posts do make the shot more challenging, and while the game may not have a “packed playfield” the code is well done and the modes are completely engaging. The lighting in person is amazing and the game itself just draws people in to it.

I judge my games based mostly on my enjoyment but also the enjoyment of my friends/guests who are casual players. Certain games like stern Star Wars only last a year in my home because they are too hard and not enjoyable to the average person. Sure I can activate the fun stuff but the casual player not consistently. I want both depth for me/a game that I want to finish and the ability for people to come in and enjoy themselves as casual players. Those are the games that stay for years. Currently I have 3 JJP (pirates/DI/toy story) 2 stern (Jurassic and GOT) and 2 Williams (Congo and Indy). The JJP games get the most play followed by the rest. We enjoy this and it will be hanging around for awhile.

I don’t really think you can judge a game unless you have played it a lot and for me personally, while I can get a feel for a game on location, until I have it at home and can delve deep into it I don’t know if it’s a long term addition to my collection or not. I completely support everyone’s right to love or hate a particular game but honestly I would like to see people spend some actual time with these new release games before posting their decisions based on video or reviews by others. Some people have figured out that negative reviews get more clicks than positive so I really take reviews with a complete grain of salt.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
14,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Petersburg, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skyrex.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-was-wrong-about-toy-story-4-what-a-great-pin-initial-thoughts?tu=skyrex and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.