20230105_053644_resized (resized).jpg
20230105_051859_resized (resized).jpg
20221222_134333 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1672847370712 (resized).jpg
0e94caf5161cc828aef630d14803f9f64b4c48e4 (resized).jpg
D029D37A-B27B-4080-996D-7B962A1D2C57 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).jpg
768358 (resized).jpg
There are 696 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
#102 1 year ago

Classic eject from own thread

#103 1 year ago

Them totally screwing up the Toy Story license by ignoring the first three (and beloved) Toy Story movies is one thing, but to have Lawlor's last pin be a cost-reduced strip-down of his NGG playfield, with a giant tablet for some laggy video pinball, that's probably the worst of it. Guy's a legend, would love to have seen his last table be some amazing thing that really SHOULD cost 12k-15k.

#104 1 year ago

i played it a little at expo and thought it was fun.

the end.

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

i played it a little at expo and thought it was fun.
the end.

There you have it, it really is that simple. I'd love to play one.

#106 1 year ago

If owners love this game so much, why have so many tried to sell at a significant loss?

#107 1 year ago

The word around the bonfire (of JJP TS4 machines burning in the middle of the witches circle last night) is that Toy Story aficionados who have control of that big block of disposable income cheese got their first “bad taste” of TS4 at the movies… JJP TS4 is just a continuous reminder to all REAL fans of the franchise of how big a blunder the whole forth installment of the movie was. Sporky is the Jar Jar Binks and TS4 is the Phantom Menace of the Toy Story franchise we all wished had never ever been put to celluloid. That being said, the number of people who liked the movie and the number of people who love owning pinball machines in their home seems to be an exclusionary subset of Pinball fanatics everywhere, me included. And yes, I think this is a “phoned it in” table design by Pat Lawlor, the lack of toys that actually interact with the ball (where the franchise name is literally and actually ‘toy’ ) is not just laughable, it is almost criminal. Enough said.

#108 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I just read the original post, is this the owners thread or a price pump thread?

It's both.

#109 1 year ago

I'm glad you're enjoying the game and I commend anyone for being willing to admit when they are wrong. Does this count as being wrong? Well thats debatable, since having a change of heart can be a different thing, but regardless I commend you. I'm more than willing to give the game more of a chance as I only played it at expo and it was boring, somewhat ugly, and grating to my ears (what little I could hear). I'll be the first to admit playing at a show doesn't give you the full experience though so I too reserve the right to change my mind.

All that being said. The benson posts are part of the jump ramp, not a separate mech lol. Funny how such a little detail caused such a kerfuffle but...yeah.

#110 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

The word around the bonfire (of JJP TS4 machines burning in the middle of the witches circle last night) is that Toy Story aficionados who have control of that big block of disposable income cheese got their first “bad taste” of TS4 at the movies… JJP TS4 is just a continuous reminder to all REAL fans of the franchise of how big a blunder the whole forth installment of the movie was. Sporky is the Jar Jar Binks and TS4 is the Phantom Menace of the Toy Story franchise we all wished had never ever been put to celluloid. That being said, the number of people who liked the movie and the number of people who love owning pinball machines in their home seems to be an exclusionary subset of Pinball fanatics everywhere, me included. And yes, I think this is a “phoned it in” table design by Pat Lawlor, the lack of toys that actually interact with the ball (where the franchise name is literally and actually ‘toy’ ) is not just laughable, it is almost criminal. Enough said.

I can't believe I am bothering to do this, but here goes... Toy Story 4 has a 95% rating on Rotten tomatoes, and made ONE *B*ILLION dollars at the box office. No one was mad.

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

It’s an approachable, fun pin. It got hate from three angles. The price (understandable), JJP haters who hate anything JJP, and insecure macho men who felt threatened by another kid/family theme entering their manly hobby.

What's an approachable pin? I never understood that one.

#112 1 year ago

I’d like to say that escalated quickly, but who didn’t see any of that coming.

#113 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I'm glad you're enjoying the game and I commend anyone for being willing to admit when they are wrong. Does this count as being wrong? Well thats debatable, since having a change of heart can be a different thing, but regardless I commend you. I'm more than willing to give the game more of a chance as I only played it at expo and it was boring, somewhat ugly, and grating to my ears (what little I could hear). I'll be the first to admit playing at a show doesn't give you the full experience though so I too reserve the right to change my mind.
All that being said. The benson posts are part of the jump ramp, not a separate mech lol. Funny how such a little detail caused such a kerfuffle but...yeah.

The benson post are used separately for certain modes without the ramp.Does that count?

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

The benson post are used separately for certain modes without the ramp.Does that count?

Up/down posts have existed for decades, why are they called Benson Posts now?

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I can't believe I am bothering to do this…

Me either- I’ve asked my pinball buying buddies (who also like the TS franchise) what made them pass on TS4 pinball, and their overall response was they hated the TS4 movie. Just my experience. So why else isn’t JJP TS4 flying out the warehouse doors? Lack of Toys? And once again, they ended up with a “Combat Carl” situation with Duke Caboom instead of Evil Knievel. This is one dead Bullseye we keep whipping on, but I’d rather own a Stern these days if what I get is a Godzilla Premium for less than a JJP TS4.

#116 1 year ago

No more OP...no more Crazy. I'm out.. On to the next thread.....

#117 1 year ago

I could make this same post about every game I've owned when I first start playing it. Harley Davidson, Phantom of the Opera, Big Hurt, Gold Wings, Spooksville, Hurricane, etc were all fun for a couple of weeks.

Let's see if you still feel the same way in 6 months.

#118 1 year ago

I’m just super happy that I never even thought about resale value for any of my six pinball machines when I bought them.

I could not care less about TS4 resale value if I wanted one. Buy it, if it’s a fun game and if the fun is worth the price.

This whole resale pinvestor culture is so weird to me. But then I never sold any of my games, which I bought because they are fun and beautiful.

TS4 is a fun game in my opinion. It’s also too expensive *for me* but I can totally see why some love it.

I also think it’s great that it’s possible for real collectors, not scalpers, to actually buy a Collectors Edition. Congratulations to anyone who owns a TS4 CE!!!

#119 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

I’m just super happy that I never even thought about resale value for any of my six pinball machines ...But then I never sold any of my games..

Well there you have it.

#120 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well there you have it.

It sure feels like this is all about resale value.

#121 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Yup, for sure. Panzer is probably tired of TS4 already and is getting ready to list it, figured he'd hop on here and get everyone talkin' about how awesome TS4 is so he can flip his for profit. *sarcasm*

#122 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Fuck if only it were that easy.
Anything JJP becomes JJP vs Stern and years of beef on both sides; for whatever reason. You have JJP biggest cheerleader vs an anti JJP account that i have no idea why is allowed here; plus tons of other shit.
Recoculus prices, ruined childhoods from Forky, coi....er "mech counts," why not TS 1-3?!?!?, Fan Bois, Haters!!, OPs 2 week journey back to JJP.

Whole fucking thing is completely insane.

Its great!

#123 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Fuck if only it were that easy.
Anything JJP becomes JJP vs Stern and years of beef on both sides; for whatever reason. You have JJP biggest cheerleader vs an anti JJP account that i have no idea why is allowed here; plus tons of other shit.
Recoculus prices, ruined childhoods from Forky, coi....er "mech counts," why not TS 1-3?!?!?, Fan Bois, Haters!!, OPs 2 week journey back to JJP.
Whole fucking thing is completely insane.
Its great!

It is pretty f-ing great.

#124 1 year ago

All we need now is this game to be #1 on Pinside 100 to really stir up the bees nest.

#125 1 year ago

Can somebody PM me when CrazyLevi and PanzerFreak get back? Thanks.

#126 1 year ago
Quoted from Coz:

I really enjoyed toy story. My kids like it too. I’ll be a buyer when the price is $7500-8500

There's the Toy Story True Story.

It's a perfectly fine game. If it was half the cost...and I had room for the fifty or so pins I can think of off the top of my head that are objectively cooler....sure, I might make it my 51st.

Glad the OP is having fun with it. I do like playing a couple on my buddy's when I stop by. Hope he traded it soon though.

#127 1 year ago

$20 Cake topper toys is a joke. Sorry this pin is not worth the money. $12k is a joke and forget about $15k for an CE. That’s just insane.

#128 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

All we need now is this game to be #1 on Pinside 100 to really stir up the bees nest.

On it!

#129 1 year ago

TS4 is better than I expected. I confess to being very disappointed with the game's initial release, mostly because it featured my least favorite TS movie. It's really not bad in game play though, I really like bashing Gabby and that jump ramp. So, it is fun to play, but not my cup of tea for ownership. It's not a theme for my household, but it would have been if it was based upon the Round Up Gang and featured Stinky Pete or Zurg as the main villain, with lots of the original TS toys and toy soldiers. For my age group and experience, that is the nostalgia that would have made me lean into dropping five-figure coin for one. However, if I had a daughter, I would probably have purchased a TS4 pin for her. Much like some have fantasized over a Roger Moore Bond pin on top of the Sean Connery pin, I think a reskinned Round Up Gang TS pin could also find some buyers, maybe even me.

#130 1 year ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

If it was half the cost...

That applies to practically any pin in today's market

#131 1 year ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

He listed posts as toys/mechs, lol.

I´m puzzled the coin door wasn´t mentioned.

#132 1 year ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

That applies to practically any pin in today's market

Good point, lol

#133 1 year ago

I'll be interested to see if the people who are saying TS4 is overpriced , will be in the James Bond SLE thread saying the same thing about a game that's twice the price with no ramps

#134 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

If owners love this game so much, why have so many tried to sell at a significant loss?

Many of us on pinside go through games very fast. It’s not uncommon. I’ve sold many many games that “I’ve loved”
Space and budget. Move onto the next.

#135 1 year ago

I am pro-choice

If you like your TS4 you can keep your TS4
If you don't like, don't buy

#136 1 year ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Nah, its still the same. It would be like if you considered the toybox on Aerosmith 2 different toys because sometimes the lid opens so your balls can go inside and get dumped, and sometimes the lid stays closed. Its all 1 toy just with more than 1 function. I don't really consider 2 random posts coming up to be that cool on its own, but I see why its needed with the ramp.

#137 1 year ago
Quoted from Deadlander:

It’s better than Willy Wanka but it’s another Lawlor rehash of a couple of his games. Pat should have stopped at dialed in and called it a day. Game is pretty easy and apeals to kids and new pinball players however not worth the price but the secondary market is fixing that issue. I wouldn’t rush and buy NIB plenty of disappointed FOMO boyz selling.

FOMO boyz - What a great boy band name

#138 1 year ago

I have over 15 games and I have only sold 1. Yes TS4. I used the money to buy a LOTR and so much happier. I get attached so I hate to sell.

#139 1 year ago
Quoted from ripit:

I have over 15 games and I have only sold 1. Yes TS4. I used the money to buy a LOTR and so much happier. I get attached so I hate to sell.

same here - have only sold 3 pins since i started - learned to be content with what i have

#140 1 year ago

Crazy and I are out of Pinside jail. We need to talk about toys and mechs for this game as a select few are clearly just trying to do a smear campaign against this pin.

The people that despise Toy Story and or JJP keep saying that Toy Story has no toys. This is completely false. I'll post my original list once again, the same list Kaneda copied and pasted to say that Toy Story has no toys...A pop up jump ramp is a toy, the spinning disk is a toy, the pop up character mech is a toy. Now any toy may also be considered a mech if it moves, that's why I listed the items below as toys / mechs. The 10" LCD like it or not is a toy as its interacts with the player to provide rules, animations, and isn't just slapped on there but presented in a powder coated bezel with RGB LED's surrounding it. People for years have listed the mini LCD's Hobbit, Ghostbusters, and Star Wars as toys so I'm sorry even if you dislike Toy Story pinball the 10" LCD is a toy. If you say the spinning disk in Whirlwind, TMNT, Xmen, and JJP Pirates is a toy then yes the spinning disk in Toy Story is also a toy.

As for the two pop up Benson posts they are not stationary posts, they are in the middle of the game and interact with the jump ramp as well as game modes. Did I list the other two slightly different style pop up posts to stop and lock balls on the left side of the playfield? No as that's a minor item, same goes for standard items on a pin such as spinners which I didn't mention. Speaking of spinners, if you say Toy Story has no toys then don't go bragging in Stern threads about spinners on a game being a toy, can't have it both ways.

Toys / Mechs

Pop up jump ramp (not evening mentioning the entire landing area that is very well done with RGB lighting)
2 pop up Benson posts
Spinning disk
Pop up character mech
Physical kickback (not virtual...)
Drop target
Physical ball lock
10" LCD

Other features

4 pop bumpers
JJP RGB hot rails

Crazy, just have to say I'm glad Toy Story 4 has a physical ball lock, something you mentioned as a relic of the past. More games should have physical ball locks, a good number of modern Stern's do which is great to see.

lock (resized).jpglock (resized).jpg

#141 1 year ago

Can someone call the Warden please?

#142 1 year ago

There's a bunch of stuff in Toy Story 4. I don't care for the actual gameplay part though

I feel the same about Halloween/Ultraman. A lot of Stuff™ on the playfield, but I don't care for how it plays

#143 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I'll be interested to see if the people who are saying TS4 is overpriced , will be in the James Bond SLE thread saying the same thing about a game that's twice the price with no ramps

You won't, the usual JJP bashers won't criticize Stern's actions for charging $13k for Bond LE which is when you will see their bias. That's been going on for years here with past titles. Same goes for Bond 60th which will likely have minimal mechs / toys and cost a fortune, that's fine too.

I won't defend JJP's pricing as it's out of control as well. Some people are suggesting I'm price pumping to sell the game or something but I traded a Stern Ghostbusters premium for a Toy Story CE simply because I wanted something new and as with Ghostbusters plan to keep Toy Story for years. There's no value argument to be made anymore as pricing has reached insanity levels from both companies.

#144 1 year ago

I have zero interest in engaging with someone who takes every comment about a pinball machine as a personal attack or an affront to the memory of a dead relative.

He’s all yours folks!

#145 1 year ago

last call for lifeboats, this ship is sinking fast.

#146 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have zero interest in engaging with someone who takes every comment about a pinball machine as a personal attack or an affront to the memory of a dead relative.
He’s all yours folks!

Crazy, this will be my last reply ever to you. You did make things personal, just read your comments below. While I may disagree with opinions I'll never insult someone or make up false statements about them. Just try being nicer to people. Goodbye.

"I know it's his instinct to endlessly harp on "toys" and "features;" 10 years of nonstop JJP toadery will do that, and it's all he's ever brought to any game discussion."

"correction: steaming pile of flop with FOUR pops and TWO moving posts"

"Your list is pathetic. It’s a $12,000 game."

"I’ll just trade it for some other $6,000 stern pro without a kickback (just like I traded an AIQ for this) while you are stuck with a boat anchor."

"Man, dragging your dead uncle into this, once again, is FUCKING LOW."

#147 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Crazy and I are out of Pinside jail. We need to talk about toys and mechs for this game as a select few are clearly just trying to do a smear campaign against this pin.
The people that despise Toy Story and or JJP keep saying that Toy Story has no toys. This is completely false. I'll post my original list once again, the same list Kaneda copied and pasted to say that Toy Story has no toys...A pop up jump ramp is a toy, the spinning disk is a toy, the pop up character mech is a toy. Now any toy may also be considered a mech if it moves, that's why I listed the items below as toys / mechs. The 10" LCD like it or not is a toy as its interacts with the player to provide rules, animations, and isn't just slapped on there but presented in a powder coated bezel with RGB LED's surrounding it. People for years have listed the mini LCD's Hobbit, Ghostbusters, and Star Wars as toys so I'm sorry even if you dislike Toy Story pinball the 10" LCD is a toy. If you say the spinning disk in Whirlwind, TMNT, Xmen, and JJP Pirates is a toy then yes the spinning disk in Toy Story is also a toy.
As for the two pop up Benson posts they are not stationary posts, they are in the middle of the game and interact with the jump ramp as well as game modes. Did I list the other two slightly different style pop up posts to stop and lock balls on the left side of the playfield? No as that's a minor item, same goes for standard items on a pin such as spinners which I didn't mention. Speaking of spinners, if you say Toy Story has no toys then don't go bragging in Stern threads about spinners on a game being a toy, can't have it both ways.
Toys / Mechs
Pop up jump ramp (not evening mentioning the entire landing area that is very well done with RGB lighting)
2 pop up Benson posts
Spinning disk
Pop up character mech
Physical kickback (not virtual...)
Drop target
Physical ball lock
10" LCD
Other features
4 pop bumpers
JJP RGB hot rails
Crazy, just have to say I'm glad Toy Story 4 has a physical ball lock, something you mentioned as a relic of the past. More games should have physical ball locks, a good number of modern Stern's do which is great to see.
[quoted image]

at the end of the day, if you enjoy those features - that's great.
There is no official "pinball toy" definition so ... if those meet your definition and float your boat.. mazel tov and enjoy your game

but ... I think most people were looking for some stand out center piece the ball would interact with that immediately makes you want to hit start to watch the ball go through it - Godzilla has many ... I honestly don't see any in TS4 (maybe the ramp shot, but it's just not that compelling to me). I don't think you are going to convince anyone that doesn't already see it like you do ... but who cares. You gave your honest review from your perspective and said you love it .... so again ... just enjoy.

#148 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

at the end of the day, if you enjoy those features - that's great.
There is no official "pinball toy" definition so ... if those meet your definition and float your boat.. mazel tov and enjoy your game
but ... I think most people were looking for some stand out center piece the ball would interact with that immediately makes you want to hit start to watch the ball go through it - Godzilla has many ... I honestly don't see any in TS4 (maybe the ramp shot, but it's just not that compelling to me). I don't think you are going to convince anyone that doesn't already see it like you do ... but who cares. You gave your honest review from your perspective and said you love it .... so again ... just enjoy.

Yup. Godzilla is awesome, may consider trading or selling Hobbit for one.

#149 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup. Godzilla is awesome, may consider trading or selling Hobbit for one.

1) Keep the Hobbit.
2) Trade the TS4 for Godzilla.
3) Thank me later when you realize how awesome GZ is.

#150 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Nah, its still the same. It would be like if you considered the toybox on Aerosmith 2 different toys because sometimes the lid opens so your balls can go inside and get dumped, and sometimes the lid stays closed. Its all 1 toy just with more than 1 function. I don't really consider 2 random posts coming up to be that cool on its own, but I see why its needed with the ramp.

Not a good analogy…there are TWO SEPARATE & INDEPENDENT BENSON POSTS…the Aerosmith Toybox is just ONE SINGLE THING…2 > 1…it’s basic arithmetic….

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Littleton, CO
$ 16.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

14,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Contact
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 696 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-was-wrong-about-toy-story-4-what-a-great-pin-initial-thoughts/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.