Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

403162_10150613644143465_129446698464_11144620_448774237_n.jpg
image.jpg
20150515_205242.jpg
morpheus.jpg
IMG_1276.JPG

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

First of all, a couple of shout-outs.
Great seller alert: Lowepg. I bought my premium from him, and I'd buy any machine he's selling. Now THIS is how you pack and ship a machine:
IMG_1276.JPG
He took a lot of crap from people about the price he was asking. But it wasn't unreasonable, and he did come down in price. Then he hooked me up with the guy who schlepped it up to me from North Carolina (more on that in a sec), offered to pay for more than half of shipping, and it arrived 24 hours after it left him in perfect condition. He threw in mods he had forgotten he had, and I found a bunch of Hemi mods in the machine that he also forgot about. When you consider everything, I got a great deal on a mint AC/DC.

<snip>

I got the machine because I'm a huge AC/DC fan--and it's a big year for them--and because all the people here on Pinside who love it couldn't possibly be wrong. And they weren't.
You know what I learned? Sometimes you shouldn't even play a game on location because that will just ruin your opinion of it. With background noise and the volume down and no shaker or mods, AC/DC is just bleh.

Congrats, beelzeboob! I was wondering who bought lowepg's game. Glad to see he gave you a discount.

I know what you mean about low-volume music pins on location. I've walked away from a couple of AD/DCs on location because the operators had the volume turned way down.

Hope you get your volume issues sorted out. It's a great game, and everyone should get an opportunity to enjoy it.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I still think you're nuts. I have Congo and while its a great sounding game - they're both as loud as you'd want a game to be.

No they're not.

#103 4 years ago

All my b/w pins are way louder than my new met also and I was quite disappointed with the sound on my first stern pin even with a sub hooked up it still lacks (well not the bass now lol). But I get what your saying I have to turn it up to 47 to really get any decent sound.

#104 4 years ago

Maybe we were expecting to much I dont know?

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

All my b/w pins are way louder than my new met also and I was quite disappointed with the sound on my first stern pin even with a sub hooked up it still lacks (well not the bass now lol). But I get what your saying I have to turn it up to 47 to really get any decent sound.

Weird, while my acdc sound is a never ending experiment, my metle sounds so awesome all I did was hook up an external sub- it's honestly loud and clear out of the box. I'm surprised they seem to vary so much, it doesn't seem sensible.

#106 4 years ago

Well, it's not the game. AC/DC and all SAM Sterns are perfectly loud. You must be hard of hearing. I'm sorry.

Quoted from bigd1979:

But I get what your saying I have to turn it up to 47 to really get any decent sound.

That's normal for Stern. They don't use the same "volume increments" as B/W.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, it's not the game. AC/DC and all SAM Sterns are perfectly loud. You must be hard of hearing. I'm sorry.

That's normal for Stern. They don't use the same "volume increments" as B/W.

So having it up to max is pretty normal?

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

So having it up to max is pretty normal?

Max, no...40's, yes. I just checked my SAM Stern games. IM and FGY are at 35, Tron's at 47, Metallica's at 45, AC/DC's at 46. All are very loud.

I just checked some of my WPC'95's - CV and NGG are at 8. My Congo came with upgraded speakers, so that one's comfortable volume is 18.

#109 4 years ago

Mr b:

What sort of speakers/sub woofer does you ACDC have? I just set my ACDC up last week and the sound is terrific to my tin ear. I believe that it may have an after market sound system.

#110 4 years ago

It took me awhile to warm up to ACDC too. ACDC will be my 2nd Stern unless some merical theme comes out. (AKA Ghostbusters or Guardians of the Galaxy)

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Mr b:
What sort of speakers/sub woofer does you ACDC have? I just set my ACDC up last week and the sound is terrific to my tin ear. I believe that it may have an after market sound system.

Stock acdc premium sound.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Max, no...40's, yes. I just checked my SAM Stern games. IM and FGY are at 35, Tron's at 47, Metallica's at 45, AC/DC's at 46. All are very loud.
I just checked some of my WPC'95's - CV and NGG are at 8. My Congo came with upgraded speakers, so that one's comfortable volume is 18.

Really even at 47 its like tz, congo and my others at 12 id say? Maybe I just like really loud stuff lol I have quite a stereo in my expedition and most cars ive owned for thag matter.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Really even at 47 its like tz, congo and my others at 12 id say? Maybe I just like really loud stuff lol I have quite a stereo in my expedition and most cars ive owned for thag matter.

I like loud, I don't like uncomfortable. I guess AC/DC Maxed out would be equivalent to a 12. Maybe you guys have all suffered some hearing loss over your lives.

Is AC/DC the "blue dress/white dress" of pinball sound? One of my local pin-friends said to me "AC/DC sounds like SHIT out of the box...check this out!" ...he had some crazy sound amplifier hooked up to it....started playing - to ME it sounded like shit. It was all bass and distortion...sounded like absolute puke...again - I think he's had some hearing loss (he talks very loudly)...so maybe to some people distortion and rumble sounds "good". *shrug* ...glad AC/DC sounds perfect to me lol

#114 4 years ago

You gotta stop worrying about the sound and start back handing both ramps with all 3 multiballs stacked. Biggest thrill in pinball! Enjoy!

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I like loud, I don't like uncomfortable. I guess AC/DC Maxed out would be equivalent to a 12. Maybe you guys have all suffered some hearing loss over your lives.
Is AC/DC the "blue dress/white dress" of pinball sound? One of my local pin-friends said to me "AC/DC sounds like SHIT out of the box...check this out!" ...he had some crazy sound amplifier hooked up to it....started playing - to ME it sounded like shit. It was all bass and distortion...sounded like absolute puke...again - I think he's had some hearing loss (he talks very loudly)...so maybe to some people distortion and rumble sounds "good". *shrug* ...glad AC/DC sounds perfect to me lol

Its probably fine I may replace the backbox speakers witb some better quality ones

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, I have seen every AC/DC tour since 1982, but that doesn't account for what others have said above about volume differences between Stern and B/W games (and now I feel much better!). My Congo volume I set up in the teens (my WOZ is halfway up and it's LOUD), and AC/DC is set around 50. Still not uncomfortable, and still not loud enough. Problem is that if I set it any higher, he tinny sounds take over and it becomes uncomfortable - but still not enough bass. All my other pins have FF speakers in them, and they made a world of difference. I think I'll try a couple things, but won't be surprised if I put a set in ACDC as well. It actually makes the machine louder and the bass ballsier.

#117 4 years ago

Wow, I'm jealous of you all that can have the sound up that loud. In my house if it goes much above 40 I start to get complaints. In about 5 months I'll have to turn them down even more than that to.... When I'm home alone I like to play at around 42-46 (depending on the game). At that point it's loud but not over bearing. I couldn't even imagine playing much louder than that.

#118 4 years ago

Let's put it this way...when I'm outside in the garage or back yard, I can tell you which game my wife is playing.

#119 4 years ago

I've got some hearing loss from my military and range time but I don't think I put my IM and Avengers above 30. For shits and giggles next time when I'm alone I'll put it on 40 but maybe I'm getting older because I'll bet it'll be too loud for me.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Boob, read this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/massively-improve-your-acdc-premiumle-sound-under-80
I have four of these in various machines now. Freaking incredible.

So I looked into this, and it winds up costing only a little less (and a lot more aggravation) than a Flipper Fidelity kit. I've had great luck with that, so I'm going to try those first. I noticed that the original post about the preamp was written before FF came out with their speaker set, so maybe it'll be comparable. I'll report back when I get it done.

#121 4 years ago

Glad you came around on the game. Easily one of the best (if not the best) in the last 10+ years.

#122 4 years ago

Happy for you boob, super jealous and will own an ACDC one of these days as well. With a Helen translite, Helen topper, Color DMD and every other mod made for it. Enjoy man!

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Wow, I'm jealous of you all that can have the sound up that loud. In my house if it goes much above 40 I start to get complaints. In about 5 months I'll have to turn them down even more than that to.... When I'm home alone I like to play at around 42-46 (depending on the game). At that point it's loud but not over bearing. I couldn't even imagine playing much louder than that.

I'm a night owl, so I play a lot at pinball well after midnight, when my wife and kids are asleep. Because of this, I installed a PinPAC System from Pinnovators, and I play with headphones a lot. It mutes all of the game audio (music & callouts), leaving only the mechanical action of the ball interacting with the bumpers and the playfield. This makes a world of difference. You may want to consider this if close proximity to neighbors is constraining your play times.

https://www.pinnovators.com/

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I'm a night owl, so I play a lot at pinball well after midnight, when my wife and kids are asleep. Because of this, I installed a PinPAC System from Pinnovators , and I play with headphones a lot. It mutes all of the game audio (music & callouts), leaving only the mechanical action of the ball interacting with the bumpers and the playfield. This makes a world of difference. You may want to consider this if close proximity to neighbors is constraining your play times.

All my modern pins have Pinnovators headphone jacks.
Without a doubt the best way to play pinball.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I'm a night owl, so I play a lot at pinball well after midnight, when my wife and kids are asleep. Because of this, I installed a PinPAC System from Pinnovators , and I play with headphones a lot. It mutes all of the game audio (music & callouts), leaving only the mechanical action of the ball interacting with the bumpers and the playfield. This makes a world of difference. You may want to consider this if close proximity to neighbors is constraining your play times.

Pinnovator PinPAC already installed in that ac/dc...

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Pinnovator PinPAC already installed in that ac/dc...

I was responding to 85vette.

#127 4 years ago

Maybe the OP needs one of these:

image.jpg

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Maybe the OP needs one of these:
image.jpg

LOL. Always love a good Spinal Tap reference.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I'm a night owl, so I play a lot at pinball well after midnight, when my wife and kids are asleep. Because of this, I installed a PinPAC System from Pinnovators, and I play with headphones a lot. It mutes all of the game audio (music & callouts), leaving only the mechanical action of the ball interacting with the bumpers and the playfield. This makes a world of difference. You may want to consider this if close proximity to neighbors is constraining your play times.

Appreciate it but it's actually not neighbors that's the issue. It's my wife and daughter that's trying to sleep or watch TV. I had thought about adding headphone jacks to my games but I'm honestly to cheap to spend $100 a game so I just keep the volume down a bit. One day we will have a house that has a specific made gameroom but for now the formal dining room is our gameroom.

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Appreciate it but it's actually not neighbors that's the issue. It's my wife and daughter that's trying to sleep or watch TV. I had thought about adding headphone jacks to my games but I'm honestly to cheap to spend $100 a game so I just keep the volume down a bit. One day we will have a house that has a specific made gameroom but for now the formal dining room is our gameroom.

Just pick one game. No need to do them all at once. Then you can still play at night. You will notice game sounds you never knew existed as well.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

but I'm honestly to cheap to spend $100 a game so I just keep the volume down a bit.

Wait wait wait....you have THREE Premium/LEs, but $100 on a game for headphone jacks is just financially going too far....xD....

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Wait wait wait....you have THREE Premium/LEs, but $100 on a game for headphone jacks is just financially going too far....xD....

Yes, would cost me $700 to add them to all my games. But more importantly, life changes have happened since I bought my games. Baby is on the way (due October) and my company has started doing layoff's again (don't know yet if I'm on that list yet). I just kind of figured that at this point in my life, more money in a savings account is more important than spending the money to allow me to turn the volume up on a game.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Yes, would cost me $700 to add them to all my games. But more importantly, life changes have happened since I bought my games. Baby is on the way (due October) and my company has started doing layoff's again (don't know yet if I'm on that list yet). I just kind of figured that at this point in my life, more money in a savings account is more important than spending the money to allow me to turn the volume up on a game.

Hope the work situation remains constant at work but if that ACDC gets heavy, let me know. I too have a baby on the way (November). So I understand money concerns. I'm moving to midnight patrol to work overtime in the courts during the day to bring in more money.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Smart move.
Wish you the best.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside