Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

403162_10150613644143465_129446698464_11144620_448774237_n.jpg
image.jpg
20150515_205242.jpg
morpheus.jpg
IMG_1276.JPG

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

First of all, a couple of shout-outs.

Great seller alert: Lowepg. I bought my premium from him, and I'd buy any machine he's selling. Now THIS is how you pack and ship a machine:

IMG_1276.JPG

He took a lot of crap from people about the price he was asking. But it wasn't unreasonable, and he did come down in price. Then he hooked me up with the guy who schlepped it up to me from North Carolina (more on that in a sec), offered to pay for more than half of shipping, and it arrived 24 hours after it left him in perfect condition. He threw in mods he had forgotten he had, and I found a bunch of Hemi mods in the machine that he also forgot about. When you consider everything, I got a great deal on a mint AC/DC.

Great transport alert: I think the guy goes by Denethor here on Pinside (I won't give out his name for privacy reasons.) Great guy. Drives pins back and forth from NC to NJ and vice versa about once a month...and for about half what the "normal" pinball shipper charges. Came to my house at 11:30 PM after driving over 500 miles and offered to even stay and set up the machine. Every pinhead should have somebody awesome like this in their neck of the woods.

Now on to the machine.

There's a recent thread that asks if anybody has bought a machine without playing it. There should be a thread asking if anybody has played a machine, didn't like it, and bought it anyway. Because that's what I just did. I thought AC/DC was the ugliest machine ever made. I couldn't understand the rules (still somewhat vague as to how to build up and collect jackpots), and I still don't understand a damn thing about the VIP passes.

I got the machine because I'm a huge AC/DC fan--and it's a big year for them--and because all the people here on Pinside who love it couldn't possibly be wrong. And they weren't.

You know what I learned? Sometimes you shouldn't even play a game on location because that will just ruin your opinion of it. With background noise and the volume down and no shaker or mods, AC/DC is just bleh. At home? Ho-ly shiiiiiiit....

Had a family gathering last night, and WOZ--usually the center of attention--was completely ignored. I asked one person, "But don't you think it's ugly?" They said, "No...it's beautiful!" And I looked at it in a different light (pardon the pun). The lighting on that game is so wonderfully done that it makes up for the awful Photoshopped playfield. The toys are great as well. I added the Pinbits lightning bolts and am waiting on a Hemi Total Rock Concert mod. But even without them, it's ridiculously entertaining and the gameplay is fast and addictive.

So, to all the AC/DC owners who I may have tangled with in the past (I'm looking at you, McCune!): I'm sorry. I was wrong. And this bad boy isn't leaving my collection for a long, long time.

That being said, I still don't understand the Luci edition.

#3 4 years ago

How much did you spend on the machine, $5900?

#4 4 years ago

The sound on the Premium really is fantastic and I do love the jukebox idea and ability to select your favorite mode/song. But beyond that, still not a game for me.

This reminds me that I still need to sell my Laseriffic train topper that I never installed before selling mine. Need one?

#5 4 years ago

I guess I should cross you off my list! congratulations. one of the best games out there. but it is a real bitch sometimes!!!!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

How much did you spend on the machine, $5900?

Yes. And then I bought the mods.

Quoted from PinChili:

The sound on the Premium really is fantastic and I do love the jukebox idea and ability to select your favorite mode/song. But beyond that, still not a game for me.
This reminds me that I still need to sell my Laseriffic train topper that I never installed before selling mine. Need one?

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the sound. I've got the thing cranked up almost to the max and it still doesn't match the volume on the WOZ and LOTR that are flanking it. Have to look into a Flipper Fidelity kit or something to crank it up.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

I guess I should cross you off my list! congratulations. one of the best games out there. but it is a real bitch sometimes!!!!

I'm Type A. I couldn't wait.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the sound. I've got the thing cranked up almost to the max and it still doesn't match the volume on the WOZ and LOTR that are flanking it. Have to look into a Flipper Fidelity kit or something to crank it up.

Then there must be something wrong with your game or you are hard of hearing. My AC/DC still has stock speakers and you can crank it up to ear bleedingly loud without even trying.

#9 4 years ago

Nice!

For sound, this happened on my Tron... The volume on the door doesn't go up much, but if you go into game settings inside the menu, you can drop music/or something to -xx and it really brings up the volume. Maybe someone that knows what that is, can comment.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Then there must be something wrong with your game or you are hard of hearing.

What?

Nothing wrong with the game. The music isn't loud enough. I get that the callouts have to be louder than the music, but the music volume drops when the callouts happen anyway. If anybody knows about menu settings to adjust that, let me know. Thanks.

#11 4 years ago

Start with a factory fresh reset, then adjust your sound and music from that point. Previous owner might have set limits on them.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

What?
Nothing wrong with the game. The music isn't loud enough. I get that the callouts have to be louder than the music, but the music volume drops when the callouts happen anyway. If anybody knows about menu settings to adjust that, let me know. Thanks.

DeathHimself beat me too it...someone must have changed your settings...The music is loud as f*ck on this game.

#13 4 years ago

I cannot turn my ACDC volume all the way up......it becomes ridiculously too loud and I like to feel the sound in my bones. Loudest I ever had it was 42 and my neighbors (Duplex) said they heard me playing and they never hear my games. Like DH said, I'd do a reset cause the sound is impressive in my opinion. Welcome to the club.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Really? I thought ACDC Premium had the best subwoofer in it that Stern has ever used. Although next to WOZ it might get drowned out a little. I use the Polk PW10 subs on all my games now though and they sound fantastic.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

I cannot turn my ACDC volume all the way up......it becomes ridiculously too loud and I like to feel the sound in my bones. Loudest I ever had it was 42 and my neighbors (Duplex) said they heard me playing and they never hear my games. Like DH said, I'd do a reset cause the sound is impressive in my opinion. Welcome to the club.

I just checked mine - it's at 46 and it's loud as hell. Of course it'll get drowned out if other games are on...I just cranked it up to 62 (max) just to see what it sounded like....for my ears *OUCH* but it's loud and clear!

#16 4 years ago

I'll do a factory reset when I get home and see if that helps. I had to reset the high scores already because Lowepg is apparently quite good and I suck donkey balls.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'll do a factory reset when I get home and see if that helps. I had to reset the high scores already because Lowepg is apparently quite good and I suck donkey balls.

I'm still trying to figure out how to clear the stupid tournament $ winners from my game. So dumb that Stern doesn't provide a method.

#18 4 years ago

Keep the stock speakers and hook an external powered sub up to it. I guarantee you will be satisfied with the results. This sub sounds great and is very popular. It frequently goes on sale for $99 or less ...

amazon.com link »

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Then there must be something wrong with your game or you are hard of hearing. My AC/DC still has stock speakers and you can crank it up to ear bleedingly loud without even trying.

My Pro has the same problem - sound isn't very loud and at the higher volume levels it sounds distorted and crackly. I've added ridiculous speakers and amps, same problem. I'm considering a new board for mine to see if that's the problem. Maybe a poorly built board. I'm not upset though, the game is still awesome and lightning fast.

#20 4 years ago

I agree with most about the standard sound being more than sufficient out of the box. I actually pulled the metal grate from underneath the speaker as I thought it slightly distorted the sound, and it did improve it a bit.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yes. And then I bought the mods.

Just buy an external sub. That's all you need

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from BillR:

My Pro has the same problem - sound isn't very loud and at the higher volume levels it sounds distorted and crackly. I've added ridiculous speakers and amps, same problem. I'm considering a new board for mine to see if that's the problem. Maybe a poorly built board. I'm not upset though, the game is still awesome and lightning fast.

This definitely sounds like you have an issue somewhere. I swear the sound on my AC DC was fantastic. You could crank it up with no issue and the stock sub was actually pretty decent (although as noted, I still go with the external PW10 subs because they rock.)

#23 4 years ago

There's 2 adjustments for sound. One is for music, the other is for all other sound. It's an attenuation adjustment; meaning raising the values will impede sound and reduce the overall volume of the setting.

10 bucks says previous owner raised the music adjustment in the positive thinking that's suppose to increase the volume setting when in fact it decreases it. You'll want you music somewhere around -6, and sound around +2. I think these adjustments are near the end of the feature adjustments menu. Going solely off memory on that.

#24 4 years ago

For the sound, I did this and it made a world of difference. The stock speakers are good, just the amp sucks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/massively-improve-your-acdc-premiumle-sound-under-80

#25 4 years ago

Stopped home for lunch and reset the factory settings on the machine. That was a mistake. Didn't effect the sound, but took out all the nice settings the previous owner had. Now I'll have to go through everything to get them back.

Found the sound settings. They are near the end...it's easier to scroll backwards to get to them. The settings go from -60 to 60. Like Eskaybee said, it's an attenuation, so turning it up actually turns the sound down. Totally counterintuitive. I put the music at -60 (the max) and sound at -30. They had previously been at 0 and 0, I think. There's a change, but it's still not loud enough. It's AC/DC. I want the f-ing neighborhood to shake when I power up.

And WOZ is still louder.

I'll have to tool around when I have more time. And add an amp and/or subwoofer.

#26 4 years ago

Wasn't this the game that has the pinnovator audio mod? If so, there may be an issue with it or the connections for it that are causing some issues especially after bouncing around in a vehicle for shipping.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I put the music at -60 (the max) and sound at -30. They had previously been at 0 and 0, I think. There's a change, but it's still not loud enough.

If you have the music attenuation at -60 and the volume turned way up and it still isn't loud enough, something is seriously wrong with your game.

#28 4 years ago

lol- just saw this thread....

I had it wired to one of those $79 Polk Subs and never found it to be lacking... also- I do not recall ever changing the max volume in the setup...

The machine did indeed have the Pinnovator mod installed.... not sure how this would mess up the volume, but I guess it would be easy enough to bypass it to see?

#29 4 years ago

I added a 100w powered sub amp in the cabinet along with a 12" sub and cut the hole bigger to suit, then in the backbox I put a low-level converter, 40w amp with a cooling fan and 2 40w coax speakers. I had to add 2 cooling fans to the sub amp to keep it from overheating after 10 or 12 games. Then I lined the glass edges with electrical tape to keep it from rattling. It's really a monster. During Thunderstruck, when you hit the lightning bolts you can feel your heart skip a beat LOL. So I have plenty of volume now, just need to fix the crackling that still exists. In hindsight, the 12" sub was a bit overkill. I think an 8" would have been plenty.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from BillR:

In hindsight, the 12" sub was a bit overkill. I think an 8" would have been plenty.

I think you sell yourself short. 15" would have been a compromise.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If you have the music attenuation at -60 and the volume turned way up and it still isn't loud enough, something is seriously wrong with your game.

Ah! Something else to check when I get a chance! Thanks!

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm looking at you, McCune!

LOL

morpheus.jpg
#33 4 years ago

There's no need to apologize bro, it's not like you ran over a puppy.

I take issue with the "this game was a disgusting caterpillar at a bar, but you get it at home with lots of stupid mods and it turns into a butterfly!!!!"

Game is fine regardless.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Stopped home for lunch and reset the factory settings on the machine. That was a mistake. Didn't effect the sound, but took out all the nice settings the previous owner had. Now I'll have to go through everything to get them back.
Found the sound settings. They are near the end...it's easier to scroll backwards to get to them. The settings go from -60 to 60. Like Eskaybee said, it's an attenuation, so turning it up actually turns the sound down. Totally counterintuitive. I put the music at -60 (the max) and sound at -30. They had previously been at 0 and 0, I think. There's a change, but it's still not loud enough. It's AC/DC. I want the f-ing neighborhood to shake when I power up.
And WOZ is still louder.
I'll have to tool around when I have more time. And add an amp and/or subwoofer.

Your game's f*cked up. What your describing is NOT how AC/DC or any Stern SAM game is. At stock settings, Volume at 45+ should be incredibly loud and clear.

#35 4 years ago

Pinball is the reason I like AC/DC now. Never would have even tried to listen to their music if it weren't for this.

Glad you worked something out with Lowepg. I tried every reasonable way to buy that game with no luck ... in the end I bought one from Curly at little shop of games.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There's no need to apologize bro, it's not like you ran over a puppy.
I take issue with the "this game was a disgusting caterpillar at a bar, but you get it at home with lots of stupid mods and it turns into a butterfly!!!!"
Game is fine regardless.

Just my perspective. Played it in a couple different locations and it did nothing for me except frustrate me. And really...what good is an AC/DC pin if you can barely hear the music. I want it so loud I can feel it in my balls.

#37 4 years ago

__________________________________________________________________________________

I just set up my NIB premium last week in my family room. I was never a huge ACDC fan and I am quickly becoming one. What a great game! All of the hype is true. This is the kind of pinball I have not played in a long time: fast, in your face, exciting. Addictive, that is the word to use. Too much recent WOZ I believe and don't let my WOZ loving daughter hear this. See gets back from vacation next week and I will be interested in her reaction especially with Aurich's she devil back glass insert.

I will check my sound settings when I get home this evening. Mine shipped with a modded sub/shaker and to my ears, it sounds incredible. In fact, I was thinking that I might have to figure out how to turn the volume down.

I put a full set of Cliffy protectors in the machine yesterday. Easy to see how you could wear down the bell and juke box kick outs.

Just one more game: this machine gets into your blood.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think you sell yourself short. 15" would have been a compromise.

Well, 12" is the max without moving the power supply, and I didn't want to get into that.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Your game's f*cked up. What your describing is NOT how AC/DC or any Stern SAM game is. At stock settings, Volume at 45+ should be incredibly loud and clear.

We may have a difference of opinion on what's "loud." I'm starting to think it's me that's f**cked up and not the game.

The Pinnovators mod was all hooked up fine. Nothing came loose. Played with the volumes. Set the music to -60 and voice to -20 (at -30 it was a little too loud over the music). Machine volume is at 50. It vibrates the floor a little but no big deal...not like my other machines.

Correct me if I'm wrong: The music on this game is still pretty low compared to the sounds and callouts, right? So that there's balance? Maybe that's what I'm not getting.

I think it's just me and I was expecting more. I'll have to consider a subwoofer or amp and maybe I'll be happy. Hopefully I can play somebody else's to see if there's a difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! If this IS a problem, I can't imagine what else would be causing it.

#40 4 years ago

I'd start looking for loose connectors. The music should be plenty loud with factory settings once you get into the 40's on the volume adjustment.

#41 4 years ago

Forgot to add that the little ding sounds when you're in the menu are REALLY quiet and seems to be unaffected by machine volume changes. Don't know if that's normal on later sterns.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

We may have a difference of opinion on what's "loud." I'm starting to think it's me that's f**cked up and not the game.
The Pinnovators mod was all hooked up fine. Nothing came loose. Played with the volumes. Set the music to -60 and voice to -20 (at -30 it was a little too loud over the music). Machine volume is at 50. It vibrates the floor a little but no big deal...not like my other machines.
Correct me if I'm wrong: The music on this game is still pretty low compared to the sounds and callouts, right? So that there's balance? Maybe that's what I'm not getting.
I think it's just me and I was expecting more. I'll have to consider a subwoofer or amp and maybe I'll be happy. Hopefully I can play somebody else's to see if there's a difference.
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! If this IS a problem, I can't imagine what else would be causing it.

I dunno man, either your hearing is boned or your game is boned. With stock settings, the music is loud and the voices/sound FX are mixed properly. If it's vibrating the floor at 50 but not loud enough....I....I just don't get it. Your main speakers must be broken. Maybe only your cab speaker is functioning correctly.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Forgot to add that the little ding sounds when you're in the menu are REALLY quiet and seems to be unaffected by machine volume changes. Don't know if that's normal on later sterns.

Like that on my ACDC too.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

NO......!!!!!

Do this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addition-of-boss-amplifiers-to-stern-machines

Metallik showed me how to do it, and it is 10x better than anything you'll buy "in a box". I had agodrey (fellow pinsider) come over this last weekend and he played ACDC and Metallica. Hopefully he'll chime in on his thoughts of this setup.

** - EDIT - My bad, I didn't read all of the responses since the one I quoted. Maybe you have something going on with your ACDC; I dunno. Either way, I should have read all responses before coming in with a suggestion.

#45 4 years ago

Congrats! I just got mine a few weeks ago. I was the same as you. I love ACDC, but stepped up to it and had no clue how to play. I was never able to dig into the game. I finally played a Pro at the Texas
Pinball festival and enjoyed it a lot! Thanks to who ever brought it. It looked super with the mods. The only thing was I could not hear the sound on that game.

I finally had a little one on one time with a local's pin and nailed down that I want this pin. Thanks Jeff! I bought a local's for the going price and got one. I am working on the rules. It is mean, but a lot of fun to play. Guests dig it and love the jukebox, cannon and bell. A color DMD is awsome, also.

Anyone on the fence has to play one in a HOU environment. You can play mine if you want also. Enjoy the game Beelze.

#46 4 years ago

How long do most people take to get a good handle on the rule set? I read some about the rules prior to playing my machine. It plays so quickly that I find it difficult to remember much. I spend a lot of time just trying to avoid the quick drains and sdtm shots.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

How long do most people take to get a good handle on the rule set? I read a some about the rules prior to playing my machine. It plays so quickly that I find it difficult to remember much. I spend a lot of time just trying to avoid the quick drains and sdtm shots.

You should get a good idea of what to do in a month or two reg play (stacking, song jackpot strategy, etc). It may take years to master the code. I still get confused on what song I should pick based off my jackpot progress.

Over time your strategy will change as you get the feel for shots. The fun part of the game is there really isn't one way to play it. There are several different ways to play it that can equate to really good scores. For instance, in tournament qualifying my strategy is to stack all 3 MB's together before starting one. In match play I try to break them out to lower my risk of getting a house game.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

How long do most people take to get a good handle on the rule set? I read a some about the rules prior to playing my machine. It plays so quickly that I find it difficult to remember much. I spend a lot of time just trying to avoid the quick drains and sdtm shots.

Just try for the basics at first.

-Pick a song...that song's "shot" (ex. Bell for Hells Bells, TNT targets for TNT, Lightning targets for Thunderstuck, etc) will light new shots that will beef up your song jackpot.

-Lighting 8 songs on the Jukebox (by hitting those song's shots) will allow you to change songs. Songs are like modes, so see how many you can get through!

-Go for Multiballs. Ramp shots will light Jam, Targets will light Album, and Orbits will light Tour. You can stack them, so see if you can get them all lit and start them all at once!

-Multiple Bell shots will start 2x and then 3x scoring. Try to get it going during Multiball!

-Get VIP passes from Skill shot (flashing top lane) or Super Skill Shot (hold Right button while launching, then hit the white arrow shots before they vanish). Save your VIP passes for Multiball. VIP usually will usually kick out another ball during Multiball, so if you're about to blow it, use your VIP pass to stay in the game!

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm still trying to figure out how to clear the stupid tournament $ winners from my game. So dumb that Stern doesn't provide a method.

Start and then immediately stop a Tops tourney 10 times in a row. Clears all past tourney info from the attract sequence

#50 4 years ago

Amazing pinball one of the best ! Luci is the Best !!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 11.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New York City, NEW YORK
$ 9.95
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside