Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Leeb18509
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Well, not so much shocked about, but more by. I KNOW you're supposed to have the third pin there, and it's I guess because if you're leaning on one, and you touch the adjacent game, and one of them doesn't have it's ground plug, the one without the ground plug finds ground through you, and then through the other game. Great.

What I do NOT understand - heh, and most will find shocking as I do - is that a slight touch, say with the hairs of your arm, can create an UNBELIEVABLY uncomfortable sensation, that you don't feel if you just grab both of the games. When I was a kid my grandparents had these old reel to reel tape recorders, and those too had that same sort of shocking feeling - particularly if you touched the microphone to your face by accident. OUCH!

WHY Mr. Professor? WHY do my pinballs shock me when I only brush them and not seem to shock me when I grab them solidly?

-Brian

#2 7 years ago

Static electricity ?

All games grounded and ground circuit working ? Easy to check on games with a service outlet - plug a circuit tester into it.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

It might be worth buying an outlet tester. I had a similar issue and determined I had some outlets wired with reverse polarity. When this was fixed, the issue went away.

https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Outlet-Tester/dp/B000RUL2UU/ref=zg_bs_14244461_1

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

What I do NOT understand - heh, and most will find shocking as I do - is that a slight touch, say with the hairs of your arm, can create an UNBELIEVABLY uncomfortable sensation, that you don't feel if you just grab both of the games.

O.K. this reminds me of the good old arcade days back in ye old times.
Had a girl doing the funky jiggy dance between two pinballs.
She could not understand what was going on. God I wish
I had some kind of recording device to capture the moment.
Oh well.Yes, she had a bare midriff, she was wearing only a
halter top and short shorts.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

O.K. this reminds me of the good old arcade days back in ye old times.
Had a girl doing the funky jiggy dance between two pinballs.
She could not understand what was going on. God I wish
I had some kind of recording device to capture the moment.
Oh well.Yes, she had a bare midriff, she was wearing only a
halter top and short shorts.

I miss halter tops.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I miss halter tops.

Been waiting for a comeback for years. Also hot pants.

#7 7 years ago

I had this same thing happen just the other day. I was working on a Black Rose and rested my elbow on T2 and felt a small shock. Both machines off at the time. If I grab them both with MM probes I'm actually measuring about 8V DC across the 2 games. I just ordered that circuit tester, but what else should I check?

#8 7 years ago

I had this same issue on my SFII. I replaced the power cord, checked ground and polarity on all outlets. It ended up that the ground braid for the cabinet had become disconnected in a spot that I initially over looked. I would start with the parts that are giving you a shock and work your way back to ensure a good contact with ground.

#9 7 years ago

Nobody seems to have an answer as to why she shock seems stronger if you only brush the area..

Good advice on tracking Down the problem starting at what shocked you. It's just too simple!

-Bdpinball

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I miss halter tops.

You probably wouldn't look as good in them now as you did back then.

LTG : )

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

Nobody seems to have an answer as to why she shock seems stronger if you only brush the area..

If the path to ground is small each nerve ending gets more of the shock.

There is more to fixing the problem than correcting any grounding issues. Figure out why you have voltage in the first place. What live wire is touching where it shouldn't touch? What insulation has failed?

Your rails aren't supposed to be powered. Something is touching that shouldn't be touching.

#12 7 years ago

Well I just checked and it turns out my BR is missing the GND lug on the power cord so that's probably a good place to start.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Well I just checked and it turns out my BR is missing the GND lug on the power cord so that's probably a good place to start.

Yes. Also verify the game has ground braid or strap connected to each leg and rail.
Vid covers what you need to know in his guide to replacing cords. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If the path to ground is small each nerve ending gets more of the shock.

Sounds like as good an explanation as any.

#15 7 years ago

Touching it with you hairs is creating a "bad" or "flakey" connection.
Just like a "bad" gi connector, higher current flows and turns that resistance into heat.

When you have a solid grip on the pin the current is reduced.
Just like replacing the connector to make solid contact reduces the current through the connector.

That's my theory

#16 7 years ago

YeOldPinPlayer could be correct in that there is more than just a ground issue and something could be sending voltage through the ground. In my case, I was getting voltage readings with the game on and off/plugged and unplugged. I am not an electrician or engineer by trade, but I understood the problem to be energy potential built up in the ungrounded parts compared to my body. When I grounded the parts the problem went away.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_ground

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Replacing the cord end fixed my issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 13.50
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-was-shocked-about-that-3rd-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.