(Topic ID: 294528)

I was planning to exchange siderails and then this happened...

By Nepi23

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

191283373_327251608967870_7026598806572892575_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_0583 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I was planning to exchange siderails and applied heat with a hair dryer to the siderail. The siderail seemed to start peeling off nicely, but then I realized the whole decal from the cabinet is now separated for the length of the siderail and not the tape holding the siderail to the cabinet...

How should I process? Is cutting the decal the only option here and how to go forward with it?

191283373_327251608967870_7026598806572892575_n (resized).jpg191283373_327251608967870_7026598806572892575_n (resized).jpgIMG_0583 (resized).jpgIMG_0583 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

In my exp that tape is strong as hell. I don’t see you separating the rail from the decal now that the decal has come off from the cab, without stretching or messing it up . I’d do a clean cut with a razor and call it good probably.

Might try a plastic razor to attempt separating them though first, worth a shot.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks! I am thinking the same...

What is the best procedure to cutting the decal? It should be done from the outer side of the decal and somehow one should try to make the cut so that it would remain under the siderail? The temptation is big to cut it from the "wrong side" though, since I can now bend the whole siderail open and see the underside of the decal.

#4 2 years ago

Use the rail as a guide and cut from the outside.

#5 2 years ago

Damn! The only time I removed side rails was when refinishing entire cabinet.

So...and obviously not a question for the OP...how do you avoid this from happening on a decaled cabinet?

#6 2 years ago

I swapped out my stainless steel side rails for chromed side rails on my decaled TZ around 6-7 years ago and based upon some sound advice from fellow Pinsiders the process went perfectly with no damage to the cabinet decals. See the URL below for details on this process to remove a set of side rails.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/side-rail-removalinstallation-for-decaled-tz

Gord

#7 2 years ago

Man, I would try cutting the decal with a razor knife.

In the future, get a 1 inch putty knife and run up between the rail and the cabinet. I use a hammer to drive the putty knife up and it separates the rail from the cab. Took like 5 minutes per side.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

In the future, get a 1 inch putty knife and run up between the rail and the cabinet. I use a hammer to drive the putty knife up and it separates the rail from the cab. Took like 5 minutes per side.

Thanks - I did do that with my decaled IJ and somehow managed to cut the decal with the putty knife and tear it under the siderail, so I was now trying to separate the siderail with the heat from the hairdryer... It should have been the gentler way... To me it seems that there is no perfect way to handle the decaled cabinets...

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

This. I also laid some blue tape right under the rail to protect the decal.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

This. I also laid some blue tape right under the rail to protect the decal.

I cut the decal and it went fine. I may try the putty knife tactics for the other side...

#11 2 years ago

Yes I use blue tape just under the rail also and cut up or putty knife

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-was-planning-to-exchange-siderails-and-then-this-happened and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.