Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 294 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by luch
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    guns.gif
    62323_W3 (resized).jpg
    wheelbarrow.jpg
    55118_1568248098500_6709240_o (resized).jpg
    B7BAA7A9-09A5-48DF-81A8-F7ECEACCBF6D.gif
    3YMJ8_AS01 (resized).jpeg
    DC439CCF-F126-4A71-ABD0-8AB2326CAC0C.gif
    the-sopranos-silvio-dante.gif
    20230410_185147 (resized).jpg
    safezones (resized).jpg
    There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 1 year ago

A stranger agrees to my price over the phone and shows up a couple of hours later. After quickly inspecting the game and playing one ball, he begins breaking the game down for transport. I ask for payment and he hands me a nice thick envelope from his back pocket and he verbally repeats our agreed upon price to me.

I open the envelope as he continue to pack the game, and I begin counting out a shit ton of $5's, $10's and $20's. I said, Hey guys, we've got a problem here. This envelope is way short.

The guy buying the machine tells me he gave me the wrong envelope and goes out to his car. He comes back and hands me a second envelope, and this one is stuffed with hundreds. And between the two, it equaled our agreed upon price.
    My friend that witnessed all of this says, Wow, good thing you counted it, I usually just stuff the envelope in my pocket. The buyer in response says, Yeah, I'm always good for it though.

So the guy finishes packing and removing the game in one of the quickest turnarounds I've ever had. No geek out conversations about our hobby or Pinside, nothing and poof, he was gone.

After he left, I turned to my friend and I told him I'd never deal with that guy again, as I believed the envelope story was an intentional con. My friend was a bit perplexed as he saw it as an innocent mistake. I later convinced him otherwise.

This is why I always count the cash and count it with them standing right there. It was also a good reminder of my conceal carry weapon.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

as I believed the envelope story was an intentional con. My friend was a bit perplexed as he saw it as an innocent mistake.

Neither envelope was right, it took both. Which he conveniently had the one with hundreds handy.

That was no mistake.

Glad you were on the ball.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

He says he handed you the "wrong envelope" what he meant to say was there was a second envelope oops! He screwed up his own cons backup plan with his words.

Did you try to sell this game on Craigslist? Facebook?

If it's pinside you should out that bastard!

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

A stranger agrees to my price over the phone and shows up a couple of hours later. After quickly inspecting the game and playing one ball, he and his partner begin breaking the game down for transport. I ask for payment and he hands me a nice thick envelope from his back pocket and he verbally repeats our agreed upon price to me.
    I open the envelope as they continue to pack the game, and I begin counting out a shit ton of $5's, $10's and $20's. I said, Hey guys, we've got a problem here. This envelope is way short.
    The guy buying the machine tells me he gave me the wrong envelope and goes out to his car. He comes back and hands me a second envelope, and this one is stuffed with hundreds. And between the two, it equaled our agreed upon price.
    My friend that witnessed all of this says, Wow, good thing you counted it, I usually just stuff the envelope in my pocket. The buyer in response says, Yeah, I'm always good for it.
    So the guy finishes packing and removing the game in one of the quickest turnarounds I've ever had. No geek out conversations about our hobby or Pinside, nothing and poof, they were gone.
    After they left, I turned to my friend and I told him I'd never deal with that guy again, as I believed the envelope story was an intentional con. My friend was a bit perplexed as he saw it as an innocent mistake. I later convinced him otherwise.
    This is why I always count the cash and count it with them standing right there. It was also a good reminder of my conceal carry weapon.

Absolutely a con. No way it is coincidental that both envelopes equal the total and that it he had small bills to make it seem hefty. Can you share the buyer info in the Colorado thread or PM it to me? Would hate to see any of us locals deal with this kind of shit. If I ever bring somebody cash I insist we count it together to ensure we are both good.

#5 1 year ago

You may want to check those bills with a bill pen.

#7 1 year ago

ALWAYS count the money.

#8 1 year ago

I'm pretty sure I'd be counting for a transaction that large too, but it makes you wonder how many times it's been successful?

Thanks for the heads up, glad you didn't get scammed!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Did you try to sell this game on Craigslist? Facebook?

Craigslist.

Quoted from thekaiser82:

Can you share the buyer info in the Colorado thread or PM it to me? Would hate to see any of us locals deal with this kind of shit. If I ever bring somebody cash I insist we count it together to ensure we are both good.

I'll send it to you privately but in a couple of hours from now. I gotta run out the door to buy a game for a friend of mine back east.

#10 1 year ago

Please post the agreed amount for tax purposes.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

A stranger agrees to my price over the phone and shows up a couple of hours later. After quickly inspecting the game and playing one ball, he and his partner begin breaking the game down for transport. I ask for payment and he hands me a nice thick envelope from his back pocket and he verbally repeats our agreed upon price to me.
    I open the envelope as they continue to pack the game, and I begin counting out a shit ton of $5's, $10's and $20's. I said, Hey guys, we've got a problem here. This envelope is way short.
    My friend that witnessed all of this says, Wow, good thing you counted it, I usually just stuff the envelope in my pocket. The buyer in response says, Yeah, I'm always good for it.
    So the guy finishes packing and removing the game in one of the quickest turnarounds I've ever had. No geek out conversations about our hobby or Pinside, nothing and poof, they were gone.
    After they left, I turned to my friend and I told him I'd never deal with that guy again, as I believed the envelope story was an intentional con. My friend was a bit perplexed as he saw it as an innocent mistake. I later convinced him otherwise.

Total scammer move. I would assume he's done that before (and succeeded at it). Maybe not necessarily with other pinball transactions, but possibly other high value craigslist transactions.

When selling, I always count the cash and make sure it's all there before the game moves an inch.

When buying, I always encourage the seller to count the cash in front of me to make sure that it's the correct amount so there's no problems later. That way I know it's all there and I didn't make a counting mistake, and the seller knows it's all there at the time of the transaction.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

What are you gonna do, shoot the guy? Over a pinball machine? Crook or not you have to avail yourself of the courts. Maybe the game you sold was Judge Dredd.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

What are you gonna do, shoot the guy? Over a pinball machine? Crook or not you have to avail yourself of the courts. Maybe the game you sold was Judge Dredd.

Yeah, I don't understand the point of a concealed weapon except for self defence.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Oh please.

It's for protection.

He was a huge man, much larger than me. And you might want to educate yourself about simple crimes that go bad and in unexpected ways.

#16 1 year ago

This is why when I sell or buy a game I insist on counting the money in front of the person I'm doing the deal with.

Granted, it can be awkward but best for both parties.

#17 1 year ago

Dude, if I was a buyer and a seller just pocketed my envelope in good faith I would even tell them to count it. It’s like part of the deal, we talk shop, we say everything is square, and then we bring it to the car then likely talk some more.

#18 1 year ago

It shouldn’t be awkward though. Two strangers that have little to no history should just automatically trust each other? When I am buying, I make sure the seller counts the money while I am there. It eliminates any chance of confusion later. It is just good practice and shouldn’t be awkward.

#19 1 year ago

Breaking the machine down before I do the final count ain't gonna happen. Ever.
    You got lucky Mr68 . Too many dirt bags in the hobby these days.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Insanity199:

It shouldn’t be awkward though. Two strangers that have little to no history should just automatically trust each other? When I am buying, I make sure the seller counts the money while I am there. It eliminates any chance of confusion later. It is just good practice and shouldn’t be awkward.

I agree 100%. The idea that a financial transaction, even and maybe especially between friends or family, shouldn’t have a counting of the money is crazy and not an insult. There is nothing odd about this to ensure a mistake wasn’t made… even an honest one. I also insist on it whether buying or selling.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

What are you gonna do, shoot the guy?

He didn't say that.

I think since it turned out he was dealing with a crook, no telling what might happen next. Being able to defend oneself adds to your peace of mind.

LTG : )

#22 1 year ago

I bought a game last saturday he didn't even count the cash envelope, then he let me pee in his yard before my 6hr return drive.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I bought a game last saturday he didn't even count the cash envelope, then he let me pee in his yard before my 6hr return drive.

Sounds like my kind of business person.

#24 1 year ago

Funny to get downvotes for a simple joke that most people would not take offense to, most normal people that is.

Quoted from jkashani:

Please post the agreed amount for tax purposes.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Our local Police Chief actually stated for us to trade goods within their safe-zones. We're supposed to tell the buyer to take a hike if they refuse to trade within their zones. I've never heard of anything like this so close to home. Some crazy sh'tuff must be going on out there.

safezones (resized).jpgsafezones (resized).jpg
    #26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

...I gotta run out the door to buy a game for a friend of mine back east.

Take two envelopes.

#27 1 year ago

The last 3 deals I have done the money was counted in front of me by the buyer before put in my hands.

Seems best that way

#28 1 year ago

You can probably buy A LOT of these now
    So ya got that goin for ya.

20230410_185147 (resized).jpg20230410_185147 (resized).jpg
    #29 1 year ago

I'm just glad everything worked out okay but it's a good cautionary tale for everyone. The games used to be a lot more inexpensive but with the current prices as high as they are it'll bring out the crooks.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Crook or not you have to avail yourself of the courts.

Scum of the earth give two shits about laws, good luck with your courts.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Breaking the machine down before I do the final count ain't gonna happen. Ever.
    You got lucky Mr68 . Too many dirt bags in the hobby these days.

I think you misunderstood or I wrote poorly. They were in the very beginning stage of breaking the game down as I counted the cash. By the time I bitched about the shortage, they had slid the game out from its slot, the glass was off but the head was still up.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I think you misunderstood or I wrote poorly. They were in the very beginning stage of breaking the game down as I counted the cash. By the time I bitched about the shortage, they had slide the game out from its slot, the glass was off but the head was still up.

Ya but still before anyone puts there's hands on the game I first count the money and ifs it's all there then they can start its the only way

#33 1 year ago

One of those bad eggs that takes advantage of peoples trusting nature. Fucking ballsy as you probably have some contact info and seen his face. You may even have his license plate on any surveillance video. I think its fair to post a local warning on CL about this attempted scam. You dont have to name names. Hope the pin gives him nothing but trouble after the move and his bone is busted.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

One of those bad eggs that takes advantage of peoples trusting nature. Fucking ballsy as you probably have some contact info and seen his face. You may even have his license plate on any surveillance video. I think its fair to post a local warning on CL about this attempted scam. You dont have to name names. Hope the pin gives him nothing but trouble after the move and his bone is busted.

I get what you're saying but I'm not going to post anything publicly with his private information. I have no proof other than my belief and I'm certain he would stick with his innocent mistake story. Believe it or not, something like that could get me in trouble.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I get what you're saying but I'm not going to post anything publicly with his private information. I have no proof other than my belief and I'm certain he would stick with his innocent mistake story. Believe it or not, but something like that could get me in trouble.

I understand your point, but if he said "I grabbed the wrong envelope," yet the second envelop was also short, his claim to innocence doesn't make sense.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

You dont have to name names.

Im not saying you should. Just let foiks know that someone is out there buying pins and trying to short people money with fat envelopes full of small bills.

#37 1 year ago

One envelope with small bills and one with large bills. Sounds like a drug dealer to me.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Im not saying you should. Just let foiks know that someone is out there buying pins and trying to short people money with fat envelopes full of small bills.

I think that's what he's doing with this thread. Most people buying an selling pins are probably familiar with Pinside.

#39 1 year ago

I would just like it if buyers invested in rubber bands
    Trying to keep track of large amounts and keep an accurate count is hard if people have wrapped the notes in cling-film

#40 1 year ago

I'm just a noob but from reading Pinside for a few years, the fact that the guy didn't want to play your other games, sit on your couch, pet your dog, or make small talk with your wife was a huge red flag.

#41 1 year ago

Was it a Pinsider and if so how was their reputation If it was.

#42 1 year ago

I was in a similar situation with a snowblower I sold. After I help the buyer load it on his trailer he hands me an envelope "straight from the bank" he says, it was $150 short. He had no idea how it happened, he apologizes and opens up his wallet and pulls out a $100 bill and a $50 bill, which were the only bills he had in his wallet. "I'm going to have to talk to my bank about shorting me" he says. Sure you do that.

#43 1 year ago

Two related stories about myself. Both times I'm the buyer. Both times the sellers were good people.

First time we get the game broken down and in my pickup. Body in the back, head in the passenger seat.
    Me: Oh crap, I forgot the cash!
    Seller (not happy): At home!?
    Me: No, it's the the seat console. We need to take the head back out so I can get it to give to you.
    Seller: Oh, well OK then.

Second one:
    Seller (counting cash): Hey, you're $X00.00 short here!
    Me: Wait, don't you remember I sent you that through paypal as a deposit?
    Seller (embarassed): Oh man, you're right. I'm sorry. I just forgot.

Anyway, odd situations happen to everyone.
    But the OP's experience is different. That HAD to be deliberate to happen that way.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I understand your point, but if he said "I grabbed the wrong envelope," yet the second envelop was also short, his claim to innocence doesn't make sense.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. But without a court conviction it's still my word against his.

I'm certain most of you guys have read news stories where a burglar is shot by the homeowner, and the burglar is now suing the homeowner for medical bills and emotional distress or some other insane nonsense.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I get what you're saying but I'm not going to post anything publicly with his private information. I have no proof other than my belief and I'm certain he would stick with his innocent mistake story. Believe it or not, but something like that could get me in trouble.

If he’s willing to con you during the purchase, he’ll definitely sue you for liable. He knows you have a lot of valuables; house, lots of pins.

#47 1 year ago

Smart having a friend there with you also, who knows what shenanigans might have happened if you were outnumbered.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Two related stories about myself. Both times I'm the buyer. Both times the sellers were good people.
    First time we get the game broken down and in my pickup. Body in the back, head in the passenger seat.
    Me: Oh crap, I forgot the cash!
    Seller (not happy): At home!?
    Me: No, it's the the seat console. We need to take the head back out so I can get it to give to you.
    Seller: Oh, well OK then.
    Second one:
    Seller (counting cash): Hey, you're $X00.00 short here!
    Me: Wait, don't you remember I sent you that through paypal as a deposit?
    Seller (embarassed): Oh man, you're right. I'm sorry. I just forgot.
    Anyway, odd situations happen to everyone.
    But the OP's experience is different. That HAD to be deliberate to happen that way.

I do have a story about accidentally shorting the seller when I was the buyer. I keep my pinball money in a safe sorted into neat 1K stacks with a rubber band around each one. I made a deal with a pinsider to buy a machine from him. I just grabbed several of the 1k stacks and didn't bother counting since I had counted them all up previously. I handed him the envelope and we got talking, I think he glanced through the envelope but we didn't count the money together. Later when I got home he let me know I shorted him $60. He was very gracious about it. I had no idea how it happened. I apologized and sent him the money. No issues. I mentioned it to my wife about how bad I felt and wondering how it happened....she sheepishly tells me she took $60 from my pinball money earlier that week cause she needed cash for something and forgot to mention it.

#49 1 year ago

"Don't blow it, keep it simple, count your money."

#50 1 year ago

Last pin I bought seller just took envelope even though I said check. I had already checked five times because I'm paranoid that way. Still do it even for $100 FB purchase.

Last car I bought with cash and the woman's boyfriend counted out the money. He asked why I insisted on cash. It was a Sunday and I said how could we make a deal on Sunday otherwise, which was only good mutual day.

There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-was-handed-a-nice-thick-envelope?hl=pinballizfun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.