(Topic ID: 9278)

I was a Stern hater until today.................

By thedarkknight77

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Today I got to play Spiderman & Tron for the first time at Pinball Wizard in NH...........Both are amazing games and Stern has finally won me over. Steve Ritchie is still the man with Spidey! Now if we could only get Stern to stop making so many throw away games. Despite hating the movies, I cannot wait to play Transformers.

#2 12 years ago

Have you played LOTR, RBION, POTC, TSPP? Those are all pretty solid, too. Some more than others.

#3 12 years ago

Try RS and see what you think. I have to agree, I want a SM also

#4 12 years ago

Tron LE baby!

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Now if we could only get Stern to stop making so many throw away games.

Their hit and miss ratio isn’t that far off from b/w. They have made some superior games, don’t be so quick to judge.

#6 12 years ago

I played a bunch of games on WoF today. I still think it's one of the most original and fun playfields I've ever seen. Talk about thinking outside the box.

#7 12 years ago

SM, TSPP, LOTR, FG, POTC...all top notch pins. I just don't care for Tron.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

played a bunch of games on WoF today. I still think it's one of the most original and fun playfields I've ever seen.

That's what I've heard (although I haven't yet had the pleasure).

DarkNight: TSPP & FGY are also Killer Games.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Try RS and see what you think. I have to agree, I want a SM also

He'll be back to hating after playing RS!!!

#10 12 years ago

stern machines are so light! I feel like i will push them over each time i play! is it the leg design or something?

Ball times are super long too, I still wouldn't turn one down at the right price though!

#11 12 years ago

POTC, SM, LOTR, IM, BDK an TRON all rock. A tip of the hat to WOF, TSPP and TF as well. Stern has produced many solid titles that IMO are on par or above some B/WMS titles. Different flavors are all yummy.

#12 12 years ago

LOTR > TAF and many other 90s wms games baby

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Their hit and miss ratio isn’t that far off from b/w. They have made some superior games, don’t be so quick to judge.

Atomic boy..............You are so right and I will admit, I was too quick to judge!

Quoted from badbilly27:

He'll be back to hating after playing RS!!!

I was trying to avoid stating specifics as we all clearly have different tastes, but I played RS and it's one of the reasons I was a Stern hater. You called that one Billy

#14 12 years ago

The Four Perfect Sterns:

Spidey
L Rings
Tron
Simpsons

#15 12 years ago

absolutely!

Stern makes a lot of good pins. mostly they receive undeserved hate.. mostly..

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

stern machines are so light! I feel like i will push them over each time i play! is it the leg design or something?

Yes! I totally agree with this.. I think it's the legs, as the pins themselves still feel pretty heavy to move (although they're no STTNG)

#17 12 years ago

I must be the only pinsider who was completely underwhelmed by SM. LOTR and POTC are solid (though NOT > TAF, TZ, MM, etc). I think I would like TSPP and RBION a lot if I could ever find them, because of their themes. I'm not a Stern hater, but the theme is important to me for the pins I own and most Sterns have crappy themes.

#18 12 years ago

#1 lotr
#2 sm
#3 rbion
#4 potc
#5 fg

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I must be the only pinsider who was completely underwhelmed by SM. LOTR and POTC are solid (though NOT > TAF, TZ, MM, etc). I think I would like TSPP and RBION a lot if I could ever find them, because of their themes. I'm not a Stern hater, but the theme is important to me for the pins I own and most Sterns have crappy themes.

same here. I am not really into SM that much

#20 12 years ago

SM is overrated, but still a good pin.

TSPP is awesome. So is LOTR.

I still don't get Tron. I really didn't like that machine when I played it.

#21 12 years ago

Whether you like a pinball game or not can start out similar to when you decide if you like a woman or not.................You walk up to the machine and put in your money and if the machine lets you "play" a while and makes you feel like you are "special", you like it. Conversely, if you walk up to a girl and she lets you buy her a drink, talks to you for only a few seconds and then gives you the shaft, you hate her. It would have been so easy to take this analogy down a dirty path.......I was somehow able to keep it clean. Lol

#22 12 years ago

SM is such a top notch pin and my favorite of all time without question. I really enjoy LOTR, BDK, and RBION as well so fun. Glad to hear you played them with an open mind and had some fun!

#23 12 years ago

LOTR and SM 1 and 1A for me..
TSPP next

#24 12 years ago

Me no likee TSPP at all, always feels like a chore to play. I do like POTC and Shrek, both good games, although I prefer games with shorter ball times, which most Sterns do not accommodate. I will say that IM had VERY short ball times, but that could be to me being terrible.

#25 12 years ago

TF LE continues to blow me away and I just ordered a second NIB Tron LE to replace the one I sold too quickly.

#26 12 years ago

Don't forget BBH

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Me no likee TSPP at all, always feels like a chore to play

Agree with you. We are the minority but that's ok.

Quoted from coasterguy:

TF LE continues to blow me away and I just ordered a second NIB Tron LE to replace the one I sold too quickly.

Nice move Coaster. Really fun game.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I must be the only pinsider who was completely underwhelmed by SM.

That's why we have opinions. Not everyone has to like the same games. One of my favorite Sterns is Sopranos and I don't care for TSPP at all while others feel it's Stern's best. Different strokes for different folks.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Whether you like a pinball game or not can start out similar to when you decide if you like a woman or not.................You walk up to the machine and put in your money and if the machine lets you "play" a while and makes you feel like you are "special", you like it. Conversely, if you walk up to a girl and she lets you buy her a drink, talks to you for only a few seconds and then gives you the shaft, you hate her. It would have been so easy to take this analogy down a dirty path.......I was somehow able to keep it clean. Lol

great analogy.
I'll keep this in mind when trying to get new people into pinball.

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

GoneFishinLvMsg said:

same here. I am not really into SM that much

Yeah, Spider Man is not all that. Family Guy is not so great either. LOTR, TSPP are their two best efforts by far. I am really enjoying Tron LE currently. But I don't think any of the Stern's compare to TZ, MM, AFM, and TAF.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

The backboxes are genuinely a LOT lighter than WMS, they're not as deep and contain less wire and electronics, no backboard for GI, knocker hardware etc.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from system11:

The backboxes are genuinely a LOT lighter than WMS, they're not as deep and contain less wire and electronics, no backboard for GI, knocker hardware etc.

Yeah, but they need to go back to hardware for the knocker, that Stern noise is the worst EVER!!

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

SM is overrated, but still a good pin.
TSPP is awesome. So is LOTR.
I still don't get Tron. I really didn't like that machine when I played it.

I agree with this, but need more time on SM. I have been to a dealer about 5 times in the last couple years, determined to by a SM NIB, and after playing for a bit in the showroom, always left thinking - meh - I'd rather hold out for something else. I always come back though, as so many really like it, but never bought it

You can't really compare good new Sterns to b/w, as Stern has pushed the limit and raised the bar in rules, due to the shift in home use games in the 2000s.

As I said, there are many winners for both companies, and many losers. You can't clump winners or losers into a category for either company alone is my point.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I played a bunch of games on WoF today. I still think it's one of the most original and fun playfields I've ever seen. Talk about thinking outside the box.

There is a a history of originality in the Stern>DE linage.

Take a look at Orbiter 1 or Viper and remember that Data East were first with stereo sound, solid state flippers and dot matrix displays.

#35 12 years ago

As for Orbitor 1 - that is a game that can be forgotten. As for originality, Stern/DE did nothing but steal complete board designs and PF designs/ideas. I like many of their machines, but Gary Stern was sued constantly for not being original.

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

tern has pushed the limit and raised the bar in rules, due to the shift in home use games in the 2000s.

Stern's better pins like LOTR and SM and some others are a step up in fun and technology over even the best B/W games!The next generation of JJP an Stern will be even more innovative.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

#1 lotr
#2 sm
#3 rbion
#4 potc
#5 fg

Have you played tron?

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

As for Orbitor 1 - that is a game that can be forgotten.

I think Orbiter 1 is too cool to be forgotten.

The "saves" are great, the sounds are great.

Anytime someone is playing it, you hear lots of excited squealing and laughter. Totally fun game.

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Me no likee TSPP at all, always feels like a chore to play.

I really didn't like my TSPP till I mastered the couch shot. Game became a lot more fun at that point (but longer ).

But you're right, ball times can be long on this title but at least there's a lot of laughs during your play.

Was completely underwhelmed by SM when I played it. Maybe I need more time on it.

#40 12 years ago

The Best

1. LOTR
2. SM
3. Tron

The Worst

1. BBH
2. RS

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Have you played tron?

I have played tron quite a bit and just couldn't really get into it. Never played the LE version though.

#42 12 years ago

One thing that is unusual about this forum is that we are all PINBALL enthusiasts. Not Stern enthusiasts, Williams, Data East...etc,

Not particular GAME enthusiasts, TZ or RBION or SM or GnR or Haunted House etc...

this makes the forum so different from say a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP forum where all the people love pretty much the exact same product and can only compare what mods they have made or some other thing done to ONE product.

The diversity is what makes this awesome. We cover many games, many nations, mod lovers, mod haters, players, collectors, repair geniuses, repair clueless (me?)

Diversity of opinion should be welcomed, particularly when our data base is so broad.

Though I am not as impressed with the last few Sterns, I have loved many of their games, too. I am not a Stern/Williams/DE/Zaccaria etc lover or hater. I love pinball.

Ummm...sermon is over, i guess.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, YA'LL!!!!!!! Gonna go play some silver ball now..

#43 12 years ago

I used to hate sterns and i still do think they "feel cheap" but i can get past that. Game play is right up there with some of the williams/bally greats but i'm not ready to say that i prefer stern's best over w/b's best.

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

davewth said:

Have you played tron?

I have played tron quite a bit and just couldn't really get into it. Never played the LE version though.

I've only played the LE (jarjar's). I just love that game. It also "feels like a williams" but that's not why i like it.

#45 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

The Best
1. LOTR
2. SM
3. Tron
The Worst
1. BBH
2. RS

+1 Except I put SM 1B!

Great job on those Stern!

#46 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think Orbiter 1 is too cool to be forgotten.
The "saves" are great, the sounds are great.
Anytime someone is playing it, you hear lots of excited squealing and laughter. Totally fun game.

It just doesn't seem like pinballl to me.

By the way, you all know that "RS" is Roadshow, not Rolling Stones, right

#47 12 years ago

1. LOTR
2. Transformers LE. This would be number one but the Megatron shot is a bit unforgiving and I just lose the ball a bit too easily. Otherwise, I am in love.
3. Family Guy. I love this machine.

#48 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It just doesn't seem like pinballl to me.

When MM came out, players were complaining that there were just too many toys and it was "not pinball". Now the game is worshiped like the second coming.

Orbiter 1 is cool - but I'll give you that it was not that big of an earner when it was introduced. Maybe because it was not "pinball" enough.

#49 12 years ago

Just played TF for the first time and it is my clear #1 Stern now. The fact that it is unforgiving is the reason I like it. Too many Sterns have super long ball times and I get bored. No such problem with TF - it kicked my ass!

I may start looking for deals on a NIB one once WOZ and AC/DC come out.

#50 12 years ago
Quoted from PwninShiznat:

system11 said:The backboxes are genuinely a LOT lighter than WMS, they're not as deep and contain less wire and electronics, no backboard for GI, knocker hardware etc.
Yeah, but they need to go back to hardware for the knocker, that Stern noise is the worst EVER!!

Never really bothered me either way, I hate hardware knockers - it's a loud, annoying sound. This saves me unplugging them in the backbox, just turn it off in the menu

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-was-a-stern-hater-until-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.