serial.jpg
IMG_20141205_041709177.jpg
retouch.jpg
IMG_20141115_100539700.jpg
IMG_6343.jpg
IMG_6341.jpg
fender.jpg
Sinbad26.JPG
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

Maybe could try the blank dome top daisy caps, and use a water slide decal for the replacement lettering.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I don't think I'll be able to locate exact replacements

I've been looking for these caps for my Double Action, and they are the only ones I've never been able to find. I've found many that are close, but not the right style with exactly the right wording. Pinball Resource has as close to a match as I've ever found.

#53 9 years ago

I don't know if anything specific to your pin is available but these guys have woodrail parts that others don't. Check it out.
http://www.pinballrescue.net/index.html

#54 9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciated.

I have a question about the manual ball loader. It seems like there is way too much play in there. It has a bushing, but the mech seems sloppy, like there is way too much space there. Can these be improved? I'm not familiar with the servicing of these so I don't even know what would be considered normal.

#55 9 years ago

Short of replacing the push rod and it's bushing not much. That game got it's share of use back in the day. As long as you get the ball to the shooter lane each time you're good to go.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Short of replacing the push rod and it's bushing not much. That game got it's share of use back in the day. As long as you get the ball to the shooter lane each time you're good to go.

Got it. Thanks!

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from peclark:

Here's the relays in the bottom of the machine. I had some labels missing as well, but I think I was able to identify them correctly. Hope this helps!

Thanks for posting these pics! I got a 1961 Gottlieb Liberty Belle, and dead relays that are not labeled. After work I will be looking and comparing your notes to my machine.

#58 9 years ago

I believe Clay shows a technique of using the bushing from the 'off' switch (the one you pound from the bottom of the cabinet) as a replacement for the manual ball load plunger. I think I was able to get a new spring from pinball resource as well. This, and some polishing, fixed up mine real nice.

1 week later
#59 9 years ago

Third serial number ever registered on the IPSND. Currently working on stripping, repairing and refinishing the wood rails.

serial.jpgserial.jpg
#60 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Maybe could try the blank dome top daisy caps, and use a water slide decal for the replacement lettering.

I got the blank caps from PBR. Still need to do waterslide decals, and would like to do those concurrently with the insert black keyline circles at one shot when I can get to it. I can reproduce the keyline circles well enough, it's reproducing the curved text on the pop caps that is a problem.

pf.jpgpf.jpg image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg
#61 9 years ago

Now with less green

refin.jpgrefin.jpg
#62 9 years ago

Looking good! I can't remember if I mentioned or not - bgresto.com did a backglass for me if you need one - http://bgresto.com/pics/gtb_doubleaction2s.jpg

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from funtimewithdave:

Thanks for posting these pics! I got a 1961 Gottlieb Liberty Belle, and dead relays that are not labeled. After work I will be looking and comparing your notes to my machine.

Glad to help. Let me know if you need any more. I'd be glad to post additional info.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from peclark:

Looking good! I can't remember if I mentioned or not - bgresto.com did a backglass for me if you need one - http://bgresto.com/pics/gtb_doubleaction2s.jpg

Yes I saw that, and thank you - because they will have the art on file from yours already.

3 months later
#65 9 years ago

Rebooting this restoration, stripping down the cabinet for work as the nice weather approaches.

IMG_20150425_080104359.jpgIMG_20150425_080104359.jpg

#66 9 years ago

WOW! This thing really turned out great and sounds awesome! Glad you put a black bell in there with the silver (brass) bell. Nice variations! The stripped would looks awesome! Very nice wood rail!
Joe

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

WOW! This thing really turned out great and sounds awesome! Glad you put a black bell in there with the silver (brass) bell. Nice variations! The stripped would looks awesome! Very nice wood rail!
Joe

Thanks, Joe. The black bell is actually the 1-point bell, and the plated silver is the 10-point bell - each has a slightly different tone. There's also a big 5" 100 point bell down in the cabinet.

#68 9 years ago

Oh, I know! Many of the EM's that I have restored, I normally take one of the plated bells out and put the black bell in...GIGI, World Champ, ect...I just like those different tones.

Great find BTW. Looks like that thing has a lot of fun action going on! Congrats!
Joe

#69 9 years ago

btw...does anyone know how to get the backglass out? I need to take the backglass frame off to refinish the wood as well. I can fold down the backbox electronics using the lever on top, from there it won't come out because the backbox frame corner supports are in the way...or am I just overlooking something?

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

btw...does anyone know how to get the backglass out? I need to take the backglass frame off to refinish the wood as well. I can fold down the backbox electronics using the lever on top, from there it won't come out because the backbox frame corner supports are in the way...or am I just overlooking something?

Safest way is to remove the whole backbox insert panel. Otherwise there typically isn't enough of an angle to get the backglass out.

1 month later
#71 8 years ago

The backbox was painted solid green, so I made some posterboard stencils cut "freehand" by looking at pictures online. They'll be needing some hand work to clean them up when I can find the time. The front of the cab I just taped off.

IMG_20150610_163528236.jpgIMG_20150610_163528236.jpg IMG_20150610_163537702.jpgIMG_20150610_163537702.jpg
1 week later
#72 8 years ago

Cab before and after (work in progress - just don't look too close!)
IMG_20141112_153327564.jpgIMG_20141112_153327564.jpg

#73 8 years ago

What a difference in those colors! My original paint was faded and yellowed that much as well. Much worse than even earlier Gottlieb machines I have.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from peclark:

What a difference in those colors! My original paint was faded and yellowed that much as well. Much worse than even earlier Gottlieb machines I have.

Yeah, actually this was the result of a "happy accident". The lighter blue color was supposed to be a very, very light sky blue. I wanted to use something I had on hand, so I used a sky blue rattlecan I had, but it was a latex paint. The coverage on the rough surface of the wood was very poor, a lot of white showed. Rather than attempt to hit it again with spray, I just mixed up a couple of the colors of touch up acrylics until I got a reasonably acceptable shade of blue I liked and bulk retouched it by hand with a brush. From 6 feet away or with a camera it's acceptable. I figured anything is an improvement over what it was.

#75 8 years ago

Looks pretty good! There's a lot of patterns going on there so I feel for ya! Nicely done!

#76 8 years ago

I like it, so much better than before!

#77 8 years ago

Thanks SteveFury. I'm glad I was able to make this one work again.

doubleDA.jpgdoubleDA.jpg

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-wanted-a-project-and-i-got-one/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.