(Topic ID: 115438)

I want Wrestlemania, but darn Stern's code!

By TigerLaw

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which of the following is most applicable to you?”

• I have bought a Stern in the past two years, the code fiasco at Stern is stopping me from buying Wrestlemania 88 votes
    34%
  • I have not bought a Stern in the past two years, but would buy Wrestlemania but for the code issues with other games. 16 votes
    6%
  • I am buying Wrestlemania regardless of the past coding issues 27 votes
    11%
  • I am not buying Wrestlemania under any circumstance regardless of code 74 votes
    29%
  • I'm sick of reading about this game and Stern's code, but I do like to vote in polls 51 votes
    20%

(256 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c959e6_07a4b37bbe924b62934b46abaf2788fc.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 10.03.16 AM.png
Futurama.jpg
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

So, I want to buy an LE (in fact, if I get one I'm going to have Gio at the refinery bling it out). The game looks great. My problem is, I have Star Trek and TWD already, both of which still are incomplete (note I also went through the XMen fiasco, but it is now complete in my view from a code perspective).

I don't want to have three incomplete Stern games at the same time if I buy Wrestlemania.

I'm curious about the view point of others so I have this little poll; please comment below as well.

#2 9 years ago

I got an XMen at launch and sold it after about 6 months and the first disasterous code update. Will not buy another recent Stern unless the code is very polished and full featured. There are too many older, complete games for much less money for it to make sense to buy something new and have to wait possibly years for it to be coded properly.

#3 9 years ago

Agreed. I have both games you mentioned above as well. I'm going to try to stick to waiting for code to be complete before purchasing games.

#4 9 years ago

Tempted BIG TIME... if I bite, it might make its way east in due time Tiger!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I have both games you mentioned above as well.

I don't think Stern realizes how big of a black eye it is for them as a company to have ST and TWD not have completed code by now.

Stern still believes they are selling to operators who don't care about polished code . . . the home user wants bug free game play with progression. We shouldn't have to wait longer than a couple months after release to have the final version of the game coded . . .

#6 9 years ago

Non selfish me will tell you it would be a crazy move with Sterns history so far.
Selfish me wants to come play it soon and says yes.

#7 9 years ago

I'm in hell or high water.

#8 9 years ago

Think about this one.

You say "nah, not for me" and you don't buy. This is not 799 LE's... this is not 800... this is 400.

The complete the code, around Summer 2016, about 18 months from now.

You say, ahh! Now I can buy the LE I wanted!

And you cant find one for under $10,000. lol

Don't miss a chance.

Or do. The choice is yours. Knowing is half the battle.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don't think Stern realizes how big of a black eye it is for them as a company to have ST and TWD not have completed code by now.

Stern doesn't give it a second thought because you and many like you continue to buy games NIB with incomplete code over and over. When that slows down (especially on the LE/premium side) I think we'll see games a little further along out the gate

#10 9 years ago

I'm in the Star Trek situation with ya. ST is an amazing layout, and I do enjoy it. You would think Stern would take a little pride in their games and finish the code.

I'm out on WrestleMania, but not just for the code. The theme just isn't for me. Can't wait to play it however.

Now if Stern does Game of Thrones. I will pre-order, regardless of code issues. Guess I'm part of the problem.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Those days are over.

#12 9 years ago

Also, you can always wait for the Premium.

#13 9 years ago

Le looks sweet but I'll likely pass or pick one up second hand and I get great le pricing. My twdle is still in the box because I haven't had time to play and haven't convinced myself it's worth loosing 500 just to take it out of the box and play it. Weele looks great, but 7k great? Idk.

#14 9 years ago

I have both games as well and I don't notice any big issues with the code. I'm not that good though. I mainly play all tier 1 missions. Get KM then move onto tier 2 missions. The best I can do when I play like this is finish 2 tier 2 missions but I'm starting to finish tier 1,2,3 of one mission now to explore the depth of the game so maybe I'll change my opinion on the code

Twdle I just bash the prison and WW and get multiball and then hit the flashing targets. I have no real strategy at all so I have no idea if there are flaws in the code or even how scoring is employed

I'm leaning hard in getting a wrestlemania LE right now because thus far sterns machines have been great to me with lots of fun.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Think about this one.
You say "nah, not for me" and you don't buy. This is not 799 LE's... this is not 800... this is 400.
Don't miss a chance.

Right, just like the Transformers LE #/500.

#16 9 years ago

Play it first. Worst case wait till TPF and they should have some there. LE's will be available at good prices in March. Code will take forever and a day to complete so no rush.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Think about this one.
Don't miss a chance.

I bought HUO SM for 5k and HUO LOTR LE of 7k, both Mint, both cheaper than I would have paid NIB in Canada, both had mods, both top rated machines, both with completed codes. ...and if I sold my STLE today, Id take a lose.

Buying new in box is not the better buy, it will almost always cost you more in the end, but it sure feels good! Too bad Stern doesn't have their act together...

#18 9 years ago

I started collecting games almost 4 years ago. First games were LOTR, SM, TSPP, IM and TSPP. All games that were finished and polished by the time I got them. I naively thought that was the norm.

Conversely, I was in on Xmen LE from the very beginning. That was hard slogging. Xmas "power pack" me in the a$$ code (Wolverine talking after every non-wolverine shot almost drove me to drink) and all. But I stuck through it and they delivered a great game. I love how they implemented Deadpool both for strategy and with his funny callouts.

Later picked up AV LE after a few code updates came out. Code was "done" early on, and it is pretty solid, but it sure could use some polish. Sort of a mailed in Lonnie effort IMO.

That soured my NIB purchases for a while. Eventually decided on a MET premium after playing the code update with the crank it up modes. I was sold as soon as I saw that update.

Because of my love for Borg games, my trust in Lyman's code, and the ability to play an LE and 1.19 code, I picked up a TWD LE on friday.

I don't mind WWE at all. Actually think that the LE looks great. But I won't be getting one any time soon as I am out of room and still feel like I need to see some solid code first before playing. If that means I miss out on an LE, so be it.

BUT having said that Tigerlaw, if you have the room and like the layout and the theme, I say go for it. My basis for that opinion is that Stern does EVENTUALLY "finish" coding for games. It just may take 1.5 years. Also, I think that Waison proved himself both in that he stuck with Xmen until it was done and he delivered a great game. As he is in on this, and allegedly is very into WWE, I think he will deliver in time. And hell, its only money right?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Right, just like the Transformers LE #/500.

All depends. Could be right... could be wrong... could lose $3k... could make $3k.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Think about this one.
Don't miss a chance.

I think this way of thinking (fear of "missing out") is going the way of the Dodo. Risk vs reward just isn't in favor of preordering anymore.

And remember, with Sterns new model, if the LE sells out quickly because of high demand, we will get a Premium.

The days of Stern LEs going up in value are gone.

#22 9 years ago

No one will ever make money on an le again. If there's money to be made stern or jjp will come out with a premium or vault or anniversary pin etc to suck every dollar they can. Best anyone will do is break even.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

The complete the code, around Summer 2016, about 18 months from now

That timeframe is spot on. It takes 6 months after release to get basic features working, another 6 months to get the first real v1.0 code, and another 6 months to polish it off. but at least they eventually complete it. Make your decision with that knowledge.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

All depends. Could be right... could be wrong... could lose $3k... could make $3k.

Not sure about the market in the US, but are there any LEs with which anyone made $3K (or even just $1K) apart from Tron? (serious question)

#25 9 years ago

Sorry but your poll is only negative. How about a "I bought in the last 2 years but I am an adult and understand that I am buying the current game rather than speculation on how it may eventually turn out"?

#26 9 years ago

So far I hear the ring is really dull so that alone would be a worry long term.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Not sure about the market in the US, but are there any LEs with which anyone made $3K (or even just $1K) apart from Tron? (serious question)

Both AC/DC LE's...$3K plus all day long!

#28 9 years ago

a machine that cant do all of what it's supposed to do isnt much of a machine.
sorry Stern, maybe ya'll need to hire several virtual pinball guys who know what they're doing to get everything working before taking peoples money.

"look at this cool computer I just bought but cant use until MicroSoft releases windoze 22 in 2017."
seems to me thats exactly what they're doing, with pinball machines?! its kinda VERY ridiculous.
(and yes they're getting ridiculed for it)

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

Both AC/DC LE's...$3K plus all day long!

Interesting, thanks for the info!
Over here the market for used LEs is really tiny, everyone prefers the Premiums. Same with Metallica. Luci Premium and Monster Premium sell extremely well, LEs not so much.

#30 9 years ago

Ordered the LE yesterday!

#31 9 years ago

I could understand buying an LE or pro if Stern was more transparent about code updates and relesed them regularly (once every 6+ months isn't regularly) but it's the complete opposite. Buyers are left in the dark for months on end not knowing when a code update will come and if the games code will even be finished.

A game can look incredible and have a ton of features but none of that matters if code doesn't exist to bring the game alive.

#32 9 years ago

I say buy it and dont open the box until a few code updates. That will give you the chance to dump it if the code is not progressing. With only 400 LE's and a different art package, this game should hold its value, if not go up.

#33 9 years ago

Jared ,
Enough with the bs hype train. Everyone is laughing.
Tiger it is what it is. You have to decide if you can live with half done or s long wait for code.
Be warned the few that played it have said it has infant code as of today.
But if I liked the theme and game play I would buy. I played the TWD and therefore knew what I was getting.

#34 9 years ago

We are a bunch of crack addicts I'm just thankful I dislike the theme.....

#35 9 years ago

I don't think it should be a problem for most people with a medium/large collection to buy a NIB and wait for code.
Unfortunately, you would have three all at once that just aren't fully coded.
So can you wait it out. Playing your other pins?

#36 9 years ago

I don't have the cash for nib machines so I am out of this loop. I can't believe Stern releases a game without completed code. So does the game just end all of a sudden? Or are there things on the playfield not working? Crazy.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Stern still believes they are selling to operators who don't care about polished code . . . the home user wants bug free game play with progression. We shouldn't have to wait longer than a couple months after release to have the final version of the game coded . . .

Stern ships games ready to be routed. Stern progresses code with feedback. Feedback and coding will always take time. Other game builders Lug prototypes around the country for up to a year to get the feedback. This model, while safer, adds cost. Would it really be better to have a game shipped finished by what a few guys in Chicago thought best.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I hope you 'invest' in more than 1. Sounds like you and the hype machine are a lock with this title. Could make piles of cash. By 100 and you are already decreasing supply and increasing hype... Think about that one

Man, if you buy 200 and let them sit in FUN warehouse for 18 months then you could clear .5 mil on the deal.

Do it! Do it! Best investment ever.

#39 9 years ago

One thing I have learned is patience. I wanted a WOZ, then I played it. I wanted a TWD, then I played it. After playing these games I felt they were not for me and I would rather have another title instead. I bought the Avengers LE because of theme alone. I am a huge Marvel fan and when I played it on location I really did not care for it, but I still bought it? Learning from my mistakes I have decided to make sure and play (multiple times) any title that I may have an interest in. The days of not being able to get an LE for a reasonable price after initial release is over. Star Trek LE and Metallica LE are fantastic titles with great layouts that can still be obtained for a reasonable price years after release. So the question becomes "Whats the hurry?" Why buy sight unseen and take a gamble. If you are a huge wrestling fan and you simply want it because of theme then that is one thing, but to buy before playing is another. Try the wait and see approach. Once you can play it multiple times, come to your own conclusion if it is a title you wish to purchase.

I do not like to form opinions based on video alone but to me WrestleMania layout looks like it would get boring quick. The ring is cool and unique but I am not sure it will flow very well with it taking up half of the upper playfield. I may be wrong but it might have been better to have the ring below playfield like AC/DC. I really like my Transformers LE, fortunately the player controlled upper playfield is only activated when in mode and it only takes up a small corner on the playfield. The WrestleMania player controlled upper playfield looks like it will be in mode more often and thus repetitive? I could be wrong but this is a title that I feel needs to be played first before buying blind.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Black Spider Man as well. LOTRs LE commands a small premium as well.

#41 9 years ago

I'm not really concerned about the "investment" side of this. I agree that no LE will go up value again, Stern will take all money off the table...now they are even taking money from the modders.

My concern is that when you go through the two year code ride you have a game taking up space for two years that could be filled by a complete pin. WOZ is complete and we know the hobbit will be complete quickly after release...we are clueless on ST, TWD, and Wrestlemania.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm not really concerned about the "investment" side of this. I agree that no LE will go up value again, Stern will take all money off the table...now they are even taking money from the modders.
My concern is that when you go through the two year code ride you have a game taking up space for two years that could be filled by a complete pin. WOZ is complete and we know the hobbit will be complete quickly after release...we are clueless on ST, TWD, and Wrestlemania.

Actually, I think stern is buying mods from modders and marketing them.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This is the issue as I believe this LE is truly collectable. I do not think a premium will be released and am very worried about code. IF Stern does keep this at 400 units, then it may retain value. If they make a Premium well then I will never trust them again. They did this with TWD, but this time they are saying no premium. Fool me once..

#44 9 years ago

I will not be buying on the NIB market, due to unfinished code, Glitches not being worked out yet and price of NIB. Until all 3 of those change, I will not be buying a NIB stern or JJP again.

#45 9 years ago

I think announced or not stern will release premiums or vault additions as they see fit. So far the only clear line has been no more LEs.

#46 9 years ago

Wait... wha??? If someone's willing to pay $7K for my mint HUO (2nd owner) LOTR LE, consider it sold!

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

This is the issue as I believe this LE is truly collectable. I do not think a premium will be released and am very worried about code. IF Stern does keep this at 400 units, then it may retain value. If they make a Premium well then I will never trust them again. They did this with TWD, but this time they are saying no premium. Fool me once..

They said no premium? I have missed that. If so, I would be very worried this LE will not have its extra features coded properly. Why work hard to code only 400 games.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Unless the game is a colossal failure then there will be a Premium made. When Stern says "No" they really mean "Yes." My guess is that the 400 LE's will sell out quickly to distributors and a Premium will be announced within 2 months. 400 LE's isn't a lot when you consider the Worldwide market and the fact that many wrestling fans will likely buy the machine.-Similar to the Metallica Club fans on Metallica. Values may hold pretty well if it's a decent game but I don't see any reason to buy now as opposed to waiting. Met LE is a great game with a similar run (500 units) and those can be bought HUO for less than NIB price now. The days of LE's going up in value are over.

Futurama.jpgFuturama.jpg
#49 9 years ago

I am in the "have not bought NIB due to being a cheapass, am currently out of room, and who in their right mind will think this game will be shipped or coded to be feature complete?".

Seriously. Just breathe in and out a few times. Think about details like the Star Trek potato flashers. They haven't bothered making the time to even code for those properly, I have heard enough owners to say that I assume it to be true.

Who in their right mind would go all in on Stern's newest offering, on a NEW platform, without making them show YOU they have finished the dam game to your satisfaction.

Seriously, think about how much stuff could go wrong... New platform, New coding challenges to overcome, LCD display in the playfield they can bork up the implementation of six ways to Sunday...

Just come over to my place and give me somewhere between 5 and 10 grand. I'll keep it safe(ish) for you if you are for some reason thinking of lighting it on fire by jumping in on this game this early

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

this time they are saying no premium.

Source? I hadn't heard or read that until just now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-want-wrestlemania-but-darn-sterns-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.