Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mr2xbass
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Gottlieb sys80b (Spring Break). From what I've read, I understand and agree that when replacing a solenoid coil, it is best to use the exact replacement when possible. BUT...

On SB, there are two particular coils. Same coil, A-1496. Same function, one is the main ball launcher and the other is the kicker for exiting the "mini/upper" pf. The first should be able to launch the ball around a mini loop, the other should be able to launch the ball up to the top rollovers. On mine, they only do it maybe 75% of the time.

I've THOROUGHLY cleaned the mechanism assemblies, I replaced the sleeves, I made sure all the assembly parts lined up straight and even, I corrected where there was a deep groove in the wood by the triggering switches, I waxed the lanes. Still, not consistently making it up and out.

These two coils are on the same fuse and are the only two things on their fuse. What would happen if I replace them with stronger coils? Let's say for example Gottlieb's strongest coil for sys80's, the "super flipper" A20095. It has way less resistance so I assume I would need to put in the same value fuse the flippers use.
But,
1) Would this do damage to the driver board transistors that power these two coils?
2) If the A20095 are just too strong for this application, what other substitute would work?
3) Or does anyone have experience with the old "just take X number of wire turns off the coil (thus creating less resistance/more drawing power) and solder it back to the lead" method?

IDK what else to do. Took the DMM to the two A-1496's and they read the correct resistance so I wouldn't say the coils themselves are bad..

#2 2 years ago

How close do they make it? If just barely not, then I would try the next strongest flipper. No need to go whole hog and overdue it.

#3 2 years ago

There are other coils stronger than the A-1496 and closer in resistance than the A20095.

Coil - Resistance in Ohms
A-1496 - 2.95
A-17875 - 2.8
A-21741 - 2.5
A-24161 - 2.2
A-4893 - 2.1
A-20095 - 1.55

The 5-digit are flipper coils, the 4-digit are general purpose (kickers).

So, yeah, I could get pretty close to the original.

BUT, for curiosity's sake, if I did want to go all the way from 2.95 down to 1.55, what would I have to do and what would be the potential damages?

Note, out of my own curiosity, I did try wiring it with the A-20095 to experiment. It kicked fine 3 or so times, launched the ball all the way around and with nice speed. But (I was doing this in test mode) when I held it on the test for the main launch kicker after about 4 in a row, the fuse blew. I put it all back the way it was and the 20095 still worked and after replacing the fuse the 1496 still worked in its place. In this short-use experiment all that happened was the fuse blew, so I don't know if long-term use of the 20095 would cause damage to the driver board or not.

#4 2 years ago

I've heard of removing a few wraps of wire....

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

I've THOROUGHLY cleaned the mechanism assemblies, I replaced the sleeves, I made sure all the assembly parts lined up straight and even, I corrected where there was a deep groove in the wood by the triggering switches, I waxed the lanes. Still, not consistently making it up and out.

Assuming the above, and assuming that you have the proper voltage to the coil, a good ground and the coil was just too weak to do the job, in that case, nobody could consistently make the mini upper pf shot on any of the 3,550 Spring Breaks that were built.

Did you check for proper voltage, good ground or a weak connector pin?

Could your rear leg adjusters be too high?

Just my 2 cents.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Did you check for proper voltage, good ground or a weak connector pin?
Could your rear leg adjusters be too high?

I'll go through with the DMM and check the voltages while in action. IDK if that's the cause but it is not something I've checked yet so good call there.

It's not the pitch. Tried with almost +/-0 pitch and although it helped a little, it was not cured 100%.. did get a lot more air balls though .

Quoted from Alan_L:

nobody could consistently make the mini upper pf shot

FWIW it's not the upper flipper but the kicker that exits the ball from the mini upper pf. But I understand what you're saying; if in '87 when they manufactured the run, if A-1496 wasn't doing the job they would've used something stronger.

But still for curiosity's sake, if I wanted to see the ball really whip around the two areas, what would I have to do? Different value fuse probably? Potential damage to the associated driver board transistors? Not worth trying if the problem can be solved with using the intended coil?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
€ 8.40
1,325 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside