104_0450 (resized).JPG
jasonlee (resized).JPG
Unknown (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
A4811340-5EF9-4DE6-9563-A4229DD521A4 (resized).png
134F0201-6A16-420E-B829-D936403449E8 (resized).jpeg
Dead Man's Curve (resized).png
tumblr_oyutsdeOrd1tyylgso1_250 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago

To a layman from the LA area, immediately afterward it seemed reasonable to think this was caused by low visibility weather that very likely included at the minimum marginal decisions on the part of the pilot. You have provided as a reputable source a lengthy and detailed, and still succinct, explanation of exactly why this is most likely what happened. Much appreciated. This is a sad punctuation on a sad event. What I mean by that is, this didn’t have to happen.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

From what I've discerned from watching the NTSB briefing and other materials the flight was completely normal up until the final bit. At the end the pilot gained altitude to try to rise above the fog and then suddenly the heli entered a leftward dive at high velocity (2000 ft per minute) and into the hillside.
So the question is why did the dive occur? Some have stated that this can happen due to pilot confusion in the fog, but with a pilot this experienced, including being an instructor for IFR and VFR flight, and with this much knowledge of the area, that seems less likely to me. I think there is still a possibility that a mechanical malfunction or pilot health issue could be at fault here.
Maybe someone "in the know" can comment on the why/how the pilot could enter a rapid dive in this circumstance?

You have asked the exact same thing I have been wondering about. There is a lot of information and facts about this situation that have come out, including from reputable sources like NTSB. It seems to be presented as factual that it was going downward at 2000 ft/min. But then it stops there. As far as I can figure out, that is not a normal descent rate. So why was it doing that? No one is saying. I presume this will be figured out at some point.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Every pilot is an expert... until they die in a fiery crash and everyone is "surprised".
Never have I heard "the guy was a real idiot" and I'm surprised he didn't kill himself sooner!

Bud Holland

#182 4 years ago

That last paragraph scared the crap out of me just reading about it. Glad you are still here!

1 year later
#199 3 years ago

NTSB report is out. Well that settles that. Tscottn, you covered it from day 1.

1 year later
#203 1 year ago

The show Air Disasters this Sunday on Smithsonian channel will have a segment about this.

1 week later
#204 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

The show Air Disasters this Sunday on Smithsonian channel will have a segment about this.

Finally watched this. Pretty interesting coverage of what happened. What a cluster this was. All those people gone for no good reason.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-want-to-set-the-record-straight-about-kobe-s-death?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.