Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by cougtv
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I heard that color dmd will give you there software and let you colorize dmd images so you can give them your code and they will give you royalty so does annoy one have any info

#2 8 years ago

Try emailing colordmd.com
    What are your plans to colorize if I may ask?

#3 8 years ago

I would like to start with no good gofers and Mabey moving on to monster bash twilight zone and Indiana jones Williams

#4 8 years ago

Monster Bash and Indiana Jones are complete. Twilight Zone is in progress, so basically as far as I know No Good Gofers is still yours for the picking.

#5 8 years ago

Monster bash and Indiana Jones are already in color.
    Xmen will look good in color and I have a colordmd for mine.
    hint hint

#6 8 years ago

Pretty sure all those titles are already underway (IJ and MB are done already?) But if you really want to volunteer to help, msg pinsider dmod

#7 8 years ago

I would love to do xmen it is a great game that I would love to own some day

#8 8 years ago

Any other recomandations/ wish list

#9 8 years ago

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash

#10 8 years ago

The Shadow is another great game that could use color.

#11 8 years ago

Gilligan's Island?

#12 8 years ago

Dude, really????
    Hello.... TRON!!!

#14 8 years ago

World Cup Soccer!!!!!

#15 8 years ago

I can't believe I didn't think of tron, that is a great idea

#16 8 years ago

Any more

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash

Step one: convert game to use a DMD
    Step two: create all new dots and animations
    Step three: create ColorDMD support

Easy-Peazy

#18 8 years ago

Keep in mind, colorizing a game sounds to be a several months-long endeavor at the very least.

If you're serious enough to commit to that, great, it's always good to see another colorized game. If not, no worries, it's not a project for everyone.

#19 8 years ago

I would love to commit to a big project like that

#20 8 years ago

You want to do work for ColorDMD but you didn't even know they've already done Indiana Jones and Monster Bash?

#21 8 years ago

I honestly forgot they have done quite a few

#22 8 years ago

But I love what they do and want to be a part of it

#23 8 years ago

Great Ideas

#24 8 years ago

Direct from their faq

"We invite others to join the coloring effort. Coloring games can be a long and arduous process, and requires training and support to use our tools. Most games present unique challenges that require ingenuity to achieve desired results from our coloring engine. Some may require that we make enhancements to the engine! If you're willing to invest the time and think you are up to the challenge, please contact us."

The problem here is that they have a closed system. They could have easily had a magnitudes larger number of games supported by crowd sourcing the effort. This doesn't go against their revenue model as you still require their hardware. The risk to them might be that their tools and existing colorised games get reused by something like smartdmd.

Ideally having the colorised work public would atleast allow a multi person/distributed community created colorisation process that colordmd could then review and create the compiled(?) firmware version which includes it. It should be a win/win for colordmd. They get more games with full color. End users/devs can help speed up the process.

#25 8 years ago

You also have to own/haveaccessto the game you want to colorize.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from koops:

The problem here is that they have a closed system.

It's a closed system because of various complications. Just about every game presents new problems to solve as far as efficiently recognizing what's on the screen and applying color correctly (The reason TZ is still not done is because of how complex it is), so there's a lot of back and forth between those working on color and the ColorDMD guys themselves as they work out solutions, alter the main system code to add new features, etc. There's also the matter of support. They built the tools for themselves originally, not mass consumption, so things may not be documented well enough for general use or obvious enough to figure out, etc.

The colorDMD method of adding color isn't as simple as opening up the assets and coloring them (like SmartDMD), there's a lot of hoops to jump through and puzzles to solve. Opening that up to anyone and everyone would just be a mess. Nevermind that a huge percentage of people that would SAY they'd color a game aren't actually willing to put in the work anyway.

#27 8 years ago

I do have acces to no good gofers

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from tytydell:

I do have acces to No Good Gofers

I would buy a color dmd for NGG!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-want-to-colorize-for-color-dmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.