Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dendoc
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-571.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I have the cab and head but I have no earthly idea where to start with this. Is there a site somewhere that tells me what I need and what to do or instructions somewhere?

#3 9 years ago

What cabinet? If its a standard sized cabinet, get one of these monitors. They are so thin they'll fit right in. You will have to remove the blue ir bar but that's it. I tested it and no input lag either.
    image-571.jpgimage-571.jpg

After you have monitor, build a PC with windows 7 and decent video card $150 range. Get an iPac for a controller to wire up your buttons and you pretty much have everything from there. I used a couple cheap $20 amps from amazon and wired in the cabinet speakers. Let me know if you really want more info.

For software, there's pinball fx2 and the very latest physics on visual pinball are decent now although there are no released tables for it.

#4 9 years ago

FWIW, regarding the new VP physics, I believe there are two released tables for it: MB and WH2O. There is also someone in that thread that claims to have already modified 140 tables for it, though they are not openly available.

OP, the Hyperspin forum is another great resource for Virtual Pin builds: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?38-HyperPin-Cabinet-Forum

As markmon alluded to, you really need to decide what you want before you start. Do you want a widebody or standard sized cab? Do you want something that's just real basic, or do you want a full featured cab with flashing lights, DMD, force feedback, subwoofer, shaker motor, etc.? The parts list and resulting cost and complexity can vary wildly depending on what your end goal is.

#5 9 years ago

VP9 is set up to run 2 monitors, playfield and backglass, so yup to the big 16/9 monitor for the pf, and you'll probably want a sizeable 4/3 ratio monitor for the backbox, up to you but a large one mounted 90 degrees can cover backglass art+lights and dmd pretty nicely. looking online I'd seen others have set up small solenoids to clunk with flipper button actions for a little real feel, tinted glass 3-4" over the pf monitor for some depth appearance etc.
    VPforums a great place to start, they have a few programs and lots of tables you can grab and load once built.
    you can built as large or small as you want, large is nice, people do nice smaller ones with less cash too.
    for right now I'm just tinkering with VP8 in win98se using an older athlon 950, I'll get more ambitious sometime..

1 week later
    #6 9 years ago
    Quoted from gamester:

FWIW, regarding the new VP physics, I believe there are two released tables for it: MB and WH2O. There is also someone in that thread that claims to have already modified 140 tables for it, though they are not openly available.
    OP, the Hyperspin forum is another great resource for Virtual Pin builds: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?38-HyperPin-Cabinet-Forum
    As markmon alluded to, you really need to decide what you want before you start. Do you want a widebody or standard sized cab? Do you want something that's just real basic, or do you want a full featured cab with flashing lights, DMD, force feedback, subwoofer, shaker motor, etc.? The parts list and resulting cost and complexity can vary wildly depending on what your end goal is.

That someone was me:
    http://pinballbulbs.com/files/physmod.html

#7 9 years ago

Hah, yeah I eventually put 2 & 2 together that it was you.

Nice job on the table mods! I finally got several of them loaded up on my cab over the weekend (along with finally installing DOF). I know you modified the tables based on Physmod2, but I wasn't even able to find that version anymore, so I had to use Physmod3. Have you tried it on your modded tables? Did you notice any difference between the two versions?

The only table that threw me for a loop was TOTAN. The plunger just would not work right...couldn't get the ball past the first hole. I kept messing with the plunger settings with no luck and then finally decided to turn on the 'mechanical plunger' option and that seemed to fix it.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks a ton for this, I was working on my favs and converting them to PM3 but haden't gotten nearly as far as you, this will save me a ton of time (something hard to come by w/ a 5 month old).

Also, love your repair blog on the site, added to my favorites.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from gamester:

Hah, yeah I eventually put 2 & 2 together that it was you.
    Nice job on the table mods! I finally got several of them loaded up on my cab over the weekend (along with finally installing DOF). I know you modified the tables based on Physmod2, but I wasn't even able to find that version anymore, so I had to use Physmod3. Have you tried it on your modded tables? Did you notice any difference between the two versions?
    The only table that threw me for a loop was TOTAN. The plunger just would not work right...couldn't get the ball past the first hole. I kept messing with the plunger settings with no luck and then finally decided to turn on the 'mechanical plunger' option and that seemed to fix it.

About 40% of those tables have problems in physmod3. Both are available in the link above.

#10 9 years ago

zr11990: A hunch.... this will be your first pinball machine of any type?

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

About 40% of those tables have problems in physmod3. Both are available in the link above.

Ah, I missed those links at the very top the first time. Thanks, I'll give Physmod2 a try.

3 weeks later
    #12 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

zr11990: A hunch.... this will be your first pinball machine of any type?

Why do you say that? I have currently 13 pins and have bought and sold quite a few. A virtual pin would let me play a lot of other pins that I don't have room or money to own all at one time.

I now have all the computer components, a widebody cab and a 42 inch LED tv. I need the monitors for the backglass and the DMD and I can start putting it together.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Why do you say that? I have currently 13 pins and have bought and sold quite a few\

That was 3 weeks ago. I don't remember Was I drunk?

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Why do you say that?

Because you don't show a collection list of games in "my pinside".

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Because you don't show a collection list of games in "my pinside".

Yeah, that might've been it

#16 9 years ago

I have learned my lesson about airing ones stuff on the internet. Besides, it seems a little like bragging. My wife says I have way to many pins and I think I don't have enough. Hows that

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I have learned my lesson about airing ones stuff on the internet. Besides, it seems a little like bragging. My wife says I have way to many pins and I think I don't have enough. Hows that

And you're from "Humble" so that makes sense

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I have learned my lesson about airing ones stuff on the internet. Besides, it seems a little like bragging.

Posting what you have in your collection is not bragging. If you posted what you paid for them, might be, especially if you got them really cheap.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I sometimes like looking at people's collections to get perspective on their posts. If they own a game or have owned it in the past, it can add weight to their opinion on some gameplay and reliability/technical topics.

#21 9 years ago

13 pins isn't bragging here anyways.

Building a virtual pin is a lot of fun, I just got bored with it pretty quickly once I was done with the tinkering. I enjoy the design and build part of the project more than the "finished" part I guess.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

13 pins isn't bragging here anyways.
    Building a virtual pin is a lot of fun, I just got bored with it pretty quickly once I was done with the tinkering. I enjoy the design and build part of the project more than the "finished" part I guess.

I had the same experience. Love the build.

#23 9 years ago

Glad you said this. I got all excited for a moment and was going to head down that path. I was viewing the PAGG threat with the ultimate wide body virtual pin and thought that looked great. Better just to play on them on PC and save the space?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-want-to-build-a-virtual-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.